daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #14001
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayasCity View Post
Are passports being stamped again at these -or any other intra-EU border, for that matter- reinstated border checkpoints?
If I am not mistaken, ID-showing system were established before Schengen. It goes at least for the 2004-EU and 2008-Schengen countries.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #14002
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
If I am not mistaken, ID-showing system were established before Schengen. It goes at least for the 2004-EU and 2008-Schengen countries.
The system was initially bilateral, and it has nothing to do with the Schengen agreement. Finland joined the gang in 1999 after signing the no-passport policy agreements with all EU countries and Switzerland. (The passport union across the Nordic countries has been in place from 1955.)
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #14003
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayasCity View Post
Are passports being stamped again at these -or any other intra-EU border, for that matter- reinstated border checkpoints?
Basically, no - the EU forbids the stamping of EU citizen's documents (along with quite a few other groups) as it implies a restriction on your stay. The stamp is purely for information, but it's very clear that it's not permitted to do it for EU citizens. In reality, many border guards are friendly enough to do it - I have a passport full of EU stamps over the last 10 years for instance.

These days, most EU citizens can visit more than just EU/EEA/CH with their ID card - Serbia, Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro and others can also be visited with it.

From the non-EU citizen point of view, it's an interesting question, but I think the suspension of Schengen is a suspension of the rules on being checked at the border rather than a complete suspension. If it was a genuine suspension, then they would have to conduct proper checks at every border crossing (and prohibit crossings at non-approved crossings).
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #14004
Eulanthe

Just an interesting aside -

http://de.borderwiki.info/grenze/gre...ullersdorf.htm

You can see that pre-Schengen borders between (for instance) PL/CZ were an absolute joke. I've made a lot of research recently into this topic, and the common theme is that after 1991, the border was essentially mostly unguarded. In places such as the one above, it keeps being mentioned that locals were free to come/go as they pleased, and only non-locals would be punished if they were caught.
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #14005
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Not very useful if you wanna pass with your car...

Anyway, I remeber perfectly the CZ/PL, SK/PL, D/PL border in the 2000's, prior to Schengen: In Świecko line of two hours or more were not uncommon, and as a Swiss I needed to present a passport, which was stamped, ID was not enough even if Poland was already in EU - unlike others member countries ; on the border with CZ and SK they always asked this bloody green card, which I have one forgotten deep in my luggage, and had to depack all the car in front of the custom officer, otherwise he won't let me pass .

By the way, Polish border officials were all corrupted at that time, especially on the Eastern border .

Alex_ZR liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #14006
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
and as a Swiss I needed to present a passport, which was stamped, ID was not enough even if Poland was already in EU - unlike others member countries
Switzerland allowed Hungarian citizens to enter it using an ID before Hungary's EU accession, while for Germany, a passport was required back then.
Anyway Switzerland, before its Schengen membership, seemed already quite relaxed regarding ID requirements for European tourists. Germans for example could enter it on an expired passport if expiry was less than 5 years ago
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #14007
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Not very useful if you wanna pass with your car...

Anyway, I remeber perfectly the CZ/PL, SK/PL, D/PL border in the 2000's, prior to Schengen: In Świecko line of two hours or more were not uncommon, and as a Swiss I needed to present a passport, which was stamped, ID was not enough even if Poland was already in EU - unlike others member countries ; on the border with CZ and SK they always asked this bloody green card, which I have one forgotten deep in my luggage, and had to depack all the car in front of the custom officer, otherwise he won't let me pass .

By the way, Polish border officials were all corrupted at that time, especially on the Eastern border .
Oh yeah, vehicle travel was a completely different story. When you look now at many places (such as near the PL/CZ/D tripoint), you can see how difficult it was to actually drive across the border and how many towns are artificially split, even today.

From my research, it seems that the Czech customs officers had a particularly bad reputation before 2004. I spoke to one guy that told me that they turned a blind eye to illegal border crossings by Germans going to buy cheap booze/cigarettes, but they would give non-locals (who clearly were going somewhere and not just buying stuff in CZ) hell for no good reason.

A friend was once refused entry into Germany at Frankfurt (Oder) before Poland joined Schengen, but that was rather related to having drank half a litre of vodka in Poland first
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #14008
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

At Ibiza island, they are so upset about tourists who travel on low-cost way and give a lot of problems that... should they are drunk when landing the airplane (yes, there are someone who go to that island and they get drunk while flying), they are returned in the same plane (except if origin is Spain but surely I guess these aren't their nightmares)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #14009
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
A friend was once refused entry into Germany at Frankfurt (Oder) before Poland joined Schengen, but that was rather related to having drank half a litre of vodka in Poland first
I really loved when I was walking around Slubice and saw all the buildings and signs painted with "ALKOHOLE" "TANKSTELLE" and "ZIGARETTEN". I felt so proud
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #14010
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
At Ibiza island, they are so upset about tourists who travel on low-cost way and give a lot of problems that... should they are drunk when landing the airplane (yes, there are someone who go to that island and they get drunk while flying), they are returned in the same plane (except if origin is Spain but surely I guess these aren't their nightmares)

That doesn't surprise me. I spent a lot of time waiting for my flight on various British airports, while nearby were groups of tourists waiting for low-cost flights to holiday destinations (for example Ibiza). They were partying hard even from the departure airport, many already drunk... And the flight didn't even take off. I also saw groups of friends costumed in the weirdest ways on the airport, drinking and waiting for their flights.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #14011
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Holidays could be expensive for them if they are returned because manners (being drunk when entering the country)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #14012
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Just an interesting aside -

http://de.borderwiki.info/grenze/gre...ullersdorf.htm

You can see that pre-Schengen borders between (for instance) PL/CZ were an absolute joke. I've made a lot of research recently into this topic, and the common theme is that after 1991, the border was essentially mostly unguarded. In places such as the one above, it keeps being mentioned that locals were free to come/go as they pleased, and only non-locals would be punished if they were caught.
A friend of mine lived on that border. Indeed after 1989 the controls were lax, but they were still there, similar in the style to police sobriety checks on drivers: normally rare, but if you got caught, you'd be fined heavily.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:42 PM   #14013
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Basically, no - the EU forbids the stamping of EU citizen's documents (along with quite a few other groups) as it implies a restriction on your stay. The stamp is purely for information, but it's very clear that it's not permitted to do it for EU citizens. In reality, many border guards are friendly enough to do it - I have a passport full of EU stamps over the last 10 years for instance.

These days, most EU citizens can visit more than just EU/EEA/CH with their ID card - Serbia, Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro and others can also be visited with it.

From the non-EU citizen point of view, it's an interesting question, but I think the suspension of Schengen is a suspension of the rules on being checked at the border rather than a complete suspension. If it was a genuine suspension, then they would have to conduct proper checks at every border crossing (and prohibit crossings at non-approved crossings).
All of the 28 member states citizens of the EU can enter the Western Balkan states with an ID-card for a period of 90-days in a 180 days period.
Vice versa the nationals of the 5 Western Balkan states (Excluding Kosovo's passport) can visit the Schengen states plus Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus without a schengen visa for tourist purpose, with a valid biometric passport for the same period of 90 days in a 180 days period. And this is in force since 2009/2010.

I would just add that there are bilateral or trilateral agreements between some of the Western Balkan states. For example the nationals of Macedonia can visit Montenegro, Albania and Serbia with an ID-card for 90 days period, while Serbian nationals can visit Macedonia, Bosnia and Montenegro with a valid id card for 90 days period. Albanians can go to Macedonia, Kosovo and Montenegro with an ID while Montenegrin citizens can visit Bosnia, Macedonia, Serbia and Albania with a valid ID card.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM   #14014
piotr71

By the way, Kosovo will introduce new ID cards in the future with two additional languages. So, soon, along Albanian, Serbian in Cyrillic and English, Bosnian (in Latin and ijekavica variant) and Turkish will be present.

http://www.bosnjaci.net/prilog.php?pid=57536

rdgnrdgn liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:31 AM   #14015
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
By the way, Kosovo will introduce new ID cards in the future with two additional languages. So, soon, along Albanian, Serbian in Cyrillic and English, Bosnian (in Latin and ijekavica variant) and Turkish will be present.

http://www.bosnjaci.net/prilog.php?pid=57536
But only for ID holders of that ethnicity. Not all ID cards will have Bosnian or Turkish language.

piotr71 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:55 AM   #14016
popcalent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisalzulkarnaen89 View Post
Border between Malaysia and Singapore. Its called Tambak Johor (Johor Causeway)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
This picture is wrong. Top is Malaysia, bottom is Singapore. I took a picture from Singapore near that bridge and those same buildings are on the other side of the river.

AsHalt, nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by popcalent; December 2nd, 2015 at 03:01 AM.
popcalent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #14017
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Two "historic" photos I came across in a German truck and heavy duty plants forum:

1. Hungarian border, must be shortly after the proclamation of the Republic (which was on Oct. 23, 1989). The sign still bears "Népköztársaság" (= People's Republic), with "Nép" painted over.

Any idea which crossing this is? The source does not say.

2. Austria, Drasenhofen - Mikulov (CS or CZ) crossing. Again, no date given. Is the dark parked car a Golf III? If yes, must be 1991 or shortly thereafter (yellow center line). Source.

CSerpent, volodaaaa, piotr71, SRC_100, LMB and 1 others liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM   #14018
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

First attempt

The chimney is essential.

https://www.google.sk/maps/@47.92722...7i13312!8i6656

Corvinus liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:37 PM   #14019
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Two "historic" photos I came across in a German truck and heavy duty plants forum:..(..)

2. Austria, Drasenhofen - Mikulov (CS or CZ) crossing. Again, no date given. Is the dark parked car a Golf III? If yes, must be 1991 or shortly thereafter (yellow center line). Source.
It's Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 or late junior 1600. Production ended in the late seventies.

SRC_100 liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:45 PM   #14020
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Quote:
First attempt
The chimney is essential.
"Old" Main Road 1 Hegyeshalom crossing, that will be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
It's Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 or late junior 1600. Production ended in the late seventies.
Then let's put the crossing photo in the 1980's ...
(the parked green car on the right? Zhiguli, or "big Polski"...?)

Tags
highways, motorways