daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #14041
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What's the current status at the border between Germany and France? I am driving this weekend in the area of Strasbourg, but the hotel is booked in Germany, so I will cross 2 times from Germany to France. I am not worried about paperwork, as I have everything needed, but I am worried about the waiting times at the border.

One friend that travels together with me said that he heard that, due to the "emergency" situation in France, they can deny the entrance of any person, even though they have all required paperwork. He heard that some people were denied entrance in the last month, for no reason at all. Is this true?
Have you had any problem or do you still stick at the border?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

cinxxx liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #14042
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm planning to drive last weekend of December coming from Ptuj to Germany. I'm guessing there are border controls between SLO and A because of migrants.
Which crossing would you recommend to lose the least time?
Mureck should be ok, although I found this - http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/situatio...n+2500+1635286 - that suggests that controls are taking place there. But traffic is normally very light there anyway, so it shouldn't waste so much time.

Interestingly, I notice on that site that the old border crossing at Spielfeld is closed because of the migrants.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #14043
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Yep, cars are redirected on the motorway.
Also there is no sticker needed for the segment in both countries from the border to the first exit, because of that.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #14044
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

I'll cross the border at Kufstein-Kiefersfelden soon. What delay has to be expected northbound in the evening? Experiences anyone?
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #14045
c0sas

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
I'll cross the border at Kufstein-Kiefersfelden soon. What delay has to be expected northbound in the evening? Experiences anyone?
Can vary from 5 minutes, to up to one hour. On the weekends you should expect bigger delays.

You can inform yourself on the homepage of the austrian public radio - traffic service. oe3verkehrDOTorfDOTat (i cannot post links yet)
c0sas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #14046
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I crossed that border at evening last week and there was no queue. The control was really pathetic, the policeman was annoyed and barely looking at cars.
If you want to avoid queue, exit at Kufstein and enter Germany through a normal road, for xample the 171 there are no controls.
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #14047
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Poland-USSR border at Terespol in 1980.

Quite amazing to see how limited the infrastructure is. As it was mentioned before, traffic was low - but still, I'm surprised that it wasn't more developed on one of the only two border crossings available for everyone.

Last edited by Eulanthe; December 11th, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #14048
koko_vp

Likes (Received): 2836

Inspection of the border between Bulgaria and Turkey by the Bulgarian prime minister Boyko Borisov and the prime minister of the UK David Cameron

8166UY, Corvinus, Palance, Moravian, CSerpent and 2 others liked this post
koko_vp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #14049
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

Poland-USSR border at Terespol in 1980.

Quite amazing to see how limited the infrastructure is. As it was mentioned before, traffic was low - but still, I'm surprised that it wasn't more developed on one of the only two border crossings available for everyone.
On the picture are the coats of arms of Polish regions? I am surprised to see so much halos and crosses.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #14050
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigic View Post
On the picture are the coats of arms of Polish regions? I am surprised to see so much halos and crosses.
Poland is one of the most religious countries in Europe - what is surprising on that?

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #14051
FiveYears

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Poland is one of the most religious countries in Europe - what is surprising on that?
The time, perhaps?

Robi_damian liked this post
FiveYears no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #14052
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Probably they are historical coat of arms that predate communism period.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

SRC_100 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #14053
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveYears View Post
The time, perhaps?
I know... a lot of municipalities in my country was renamed, but CoA was retained.

Old December 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #14054
peterprinciple

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Tsaw-wah-sehn
tsa wa sen
peterprinciple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #14055
garyjones027

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I know... a lot of municipalities in my country was renamed, but CoA was retained.
During this time, Poland had 49 voivodeships (provinces) from 1975 to 1999. From 1999, it changed to 16 voivodeships. I think these are city coat of arms.
garyjones027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #14056
koszatek
***** ante portas!

Likes (Received): 4588

These are coat of arms of some voivodeship cities (from the 49 cities), mainly from eastern Poland (voivodeships bordering with Soviet Union).
Edit:
I noticed, that there was 9 voivodeships bordering with SU, but one CoA is missing. This one

Last edited by koszatek; December 12th, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
koszatek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #14057
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
What is surprising is your lack of historical knowledge. The crosses and halos come from middle ages, around 1200's. Then the saints and the crosses were a part of the culture. Vide your county's euro coins, they all contain crosses.

Today Poland is spiritual, and parts of it are traditional, but it is not religious. There are more streets containing "saints" in Belgium, or in Munich, than in Poland.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #14058
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

OK, I thought the communists would change the coats of arms because they blatantly represented the "opiate of the masses".
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14059
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
What is surprising is your lack of historical knowledge. The crosses and halos come from middle ages, around 1200's. Then the saints and the crosses were a part of the culture. Vide your county's euro coins, they all contain crosses.

Today Poland is spiritual, and parts of it are traditional, but it is not religious. There are more streets containing "saints" in Belgium, or in Munich, than in Poland.

source: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a...ebs_341_en.pdf

It is not very reasonable to compare religiosity by the number of streets containing "saint". Communists were hypocrites in my country so they renamed all the municipalities and streets to be more atheistic. At the same time, they celebrated Christmas. We still did not renamed lot of them. But nobody insists on changing the coat of arms. The only changed coat of arms was the CoA of Slovakia (but it was made due to the fact, the CoA was used by nazis).

Examples:
City Saint George was renamed to George by the Bratislava. In 1990 renamed back.
City Saint Martin was renamed to Martin. The name has been still used.
City Saint Cross upon Hron was renamed to Glory upon hron. The name has been still used.

If Poland has fewer street named after saints than Belgium, it can be the consequence of renaming, not the indicator of religiosity.

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #14060
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Some dictatorial regimes were paranoid in changing names that were considered "offensive" for the ideology.
For example, the Slovenian town of Lucija was called Santa Lucia when it was part of Italy. In Slovenian it would have been something like Sveti Lucija (I'm not sure about the declinations in Slovenian), but they called it just Lucija because having a name with a saint was not acceptable by the communist regime.

On the other hand, the town of Pasian Schiavonesco, near Udine, was renamed Basiliano by the fascist regime because Schiavonesco reminded "sclavon", that was the Friulian word for "slav", and in fascist Italy was considered outrageous to have a town whose name reminded the slavic ethnicity.
San Dorligo della Valle, near Trieste was once called Dolina, that means "valley" in Slovenian (now that word is also used in Italian to refer to a particular type of valleys causated when the roof of a valley collapses, commonly found in Carso area). Again, this name was not regarded acceptable by fascists and they called in San Dorligo della Valle. This because the saint patron of the village was Sant'Ulderico (in Italian) and they invented a mix between Sant'Ulderico and Dolina, that became San Dorligo. However that name is wrong, as there isn't any saint called Dorligo.
Opicina, also near Trieste, was renamed Poggioreale sul Carso, because Opicina was a too close translation of the Slovenian name Opcina. However, this one returned to the old name in the 1960s.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa, Swede liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways