daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #14061
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

If Poland has fewer street named after saints than Belgium, it can be the consequence of renaming, not the indicator of religiosity.
...says the one with the cross on the coin.

Anyway, this is a forum about border crossings. If you want to continue, please select another one.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #14062
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Have you had any problem or do you still stick at the border?
I am still waiting at the border to cross

From the beginning:

Austrian/German border on the motorway nearby Salzburg: all traffic diverted on one lane, on the "overtaking" lane police has established a provisional container for them in case of bad weather, in the parking area they installed a large tent (to fit a bus if they want to check it). I was not stopped. Lost time about 3-5 minutes.

Germany/France border entering France on N353 south of Strasbourg: French police present, they stopped randomly some cars. There was a bus in front of me, they stopped it and had a 10-seconds chat with the driver. Then they let him go. I was not stopped. Lost time 2 minutes. Photo:

Same border in the evening, there were no controls on the other direction (France to Germany).

Germany/France border at Kehl/Strasbourg: random controls on both directions (done only by the French Police on the French side). I was not stopped. No lost time. Photo:

The white/red fences on the right were there because of a construction site.

Crossing from France into Germany at Gambsheim / Rheinau in the evening: no police presence on either side.

Crossing from Germany into Austria at the border nearby Passau: no checks in my direction, but there were checks in the other direction (small queue).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Corvinus, MichiH, cinxxx, CSerpent, Moravian and 1 others liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #14063
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

There is often a control going from Austria into Germany for vignettes.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #14064
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Found this - there are numerous views of the old border in Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJSVv8XSTM
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #14065
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

De facto border between Serbian-controlled and Albanian-controlled areas of Kosovo in 2005:

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

SRC_100, CSerpent, LMB, piotr71 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #14066
haddockman

As some people might be aware Ireland has started issuing passport cards to its' citizens. There have been reports of border officials across Europe refusing to accept them as valid ID for crossing borders.

Who is responsible for telling the various agencies what a valid ID is? Which EU body would one make a complaint to?
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #14067
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
De facto border between Serbian-controlled and Albanian-controlled areas of Kosovo in 2005:
Clear stance on communication in Kosovo!

That message "malicious or provocative behaviour shall be repressed immediately" was just missing at the border crossing Röszke after closedown of the "green border".

In fact this message belongs to every Schengen outer border post ...
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #14068
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
As some people might be aware Ireland has started issuing passport cards to its' citizens. There have been reports of border officials across Europe refusing to accept them as valid ID for crossing borders.

Who is responsible for telling the various agencies what a valid ID is? Which EU body would one make a complaint to?
Quote:
The Irish Passport Card, can be used by Irish citizens for travel within the EU/EEA and Switzerland.
source

I would like to know why they call it Passport card and not ID card since this is pretty much what it is. Besides the fact that that one must have a valid Passport, be over 18 (wtf?!?) and can't travel outside Europe.
So it is for those who don't have a drivers license (but have a passport) and/or orefer the smaller size.
And the Best: it is only 35Euros

Quote:
The document is intended to be used within the EU/EEA so there is noone to complain to.
Maybe this is planned to be valid in more places once (if) it is accepted by the people.
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #14069
haddockman

The problem at the moment it is only sporadically accepted even within the EU.

I was refused both entering and leaving Bulgaria. People have been detained in CDG. Czech police have refused them also. There must be some central body in the EU that can be complained to about this.

That said Switzerland accepted it no bother.
Old December 16th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #14070
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
The problem at the moment it is only sporadically accepted even within the EU.

I was refused both entering and leaving Bulgaria. People have been detained in CDG. Czech police have refused them also. There must be some central body in the EU that can be complained to about this.

That said Switzerland accepted it no bother.
It does not qualify a passport, and it does not claim to be a national identity card. Not a big surprise it is widely rejected.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #14071
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It does not qualify a passport, and it does not claim to be a national identity card. Not a big surprise it is widely rejected.
It's a valid document to travel within the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

Border control is going to get used to it, give it some time. The Irish authorities should have just called it ID Card (Passport Card sounds weird in Europe). I don't think there's a centralized EU agency dealing with letting the border control officials know, it's more of a national matter. Just be persistent in saying that it is a valid document to travel within the EU. When I was at Dublin Airport in 2008, they refused to let me travel with my Bulgarian ID card, as they were not sure whether Bulgaria is in the EU (joined in 2007). In the end, they opened Wikipedia on the Border control desk and let me pass (not the most reliable source, I know)... Hasn't happened to me ever since.
TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #14072
Eulanthe

It's partially the fault of the Irish - the document should be listed on PRADO - http://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado...tart-page.html

But their Irish Passport card should be accepted - it says clearly that it's a passport, it has all the information needed and so on. I wouldn't back down in this case.
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #14073
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBulgarian View Post
It's a valid document to travel within the EU/EEA and Switzerland.
If the target country accepts it. Like any other document.

The card entitles to leave Ireland for EU/EAA and CH. Whether it entitles to enter a country or not, is up to that country.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #14074
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

The card entitles to leave Ireland for EU/EAA and CH. Whether it entitles to enter a country or not, is up to that country.
I asked the Passport Office (the Irish one) and they told me that prior to launch all EU/EEA/CH border authorities agreed to accept the card and that it was likely the info had not filtered down to the front-line staff.
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #14075
Eulanthe

Quote:

I'm not sure that's correct. I seem to recall that there's an EU directive specially dealing with this matter - in short, the ID card is considered to be a valid travel document within the EEA/CH and therefore cannot be refused.

It's buried somewhere in the freedom of movement stuff, but I can't find it right now.

Got it.

http://register.consilium.europa.eu/...%202006%20INIT

Quote:
3.1 Persons enjoying the Community right of free movement

3.1.1 Persons enjoying the Community right of free movement are authorised to cross the border of a Member State on the basis of the following documents, as a general rule:

EU, EEA, CH citizens: identity card or passport;
members of the family of EU and EEA citizens who are nationals of a third country: passport. They may also be required to have an entry visa, if they are nationals of a third country subject to the visa obligation, unless they are in possession of a valid residence permit or card, issued by a Member State (or by EEA countries);
members of the family of CH citizen who are nationals of a third country: passport. They may also be required to have an entry visa, if they are nationals of a third country subject to the visa obligation.

3.1.2 However, if a person enjoying the Community right of free movement does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned must, before turning him/her back, give such person every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to him/her within a reasonable period of time or corroborate or prove by other means that he/she is covered by the right of free movement.
There is absolutely no basis for them to refuse entry.

haddockman liked this post
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #14076
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
source

I would like to know why they call it Passport card and not ID card since this is pretty much what it is. Besides the fact that that one must have a valid Passport, be over 18 (wtf?!?) and can't travel outside Europe.
So it is for those who don't have a drivers license (but have a passport) and/or orefer the smaller size.
I dunno... The Irish passport card sounds like an ID card which just sounds tremendously totalitarian though I guess Continentals are so accustomed to it not to care

I know that reality of course just means you get "recorded" elsewhere (e.g. North American importance of driving licenses) but it seems so wrong...
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #14077
garethni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's partially the fault of the Irish - the document should be listed on PRADO
I had always hoped border guards could consult FADO if needed. But that would not help much anyway if the Irish govt had not supplied any details. I have wondered how much gets placed on PRADO compared to what the experts get to see.
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #14078
garethni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I dunno... The Irish passport card sounds like an ID card which just sounds tremendously totalitarian though I guess Continentals are so accustomed to it not to care
I had a UK ID card. The foolish hype surrounding it leading to its abolition is still a sore point for me (and the lack of refund for just over a year's usage). Well, it is true that the National Identity Register the govt set up alongside it was quite scary, but they could have got rid of it and kept the card itself as a basic form of ID and travel document. The card blanks were not pre-printed with the name of the document so they could have been been adaptable and produced a passport card years before the Irish!
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #14079
Eulanthe

The frustrating thing for me about ID cards is that I have a British passport, so no ID card for me. But Poland issues an ID card to permanent residents that looks entirely like an ID card - it has all the data needed (citizenship, name, date of birth, address, the lot) and it's also biometric. It would be trivial for them to say that it's also valid for EU travel - but of course, they explicitly said that it isn't. On the other hand, Estonia issues ID cards to EU citizens that are also valid for crossing EU borders with.
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #14080
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

So does it happen in Spain, providing you have a valid residence in the country.

It wouldn't be biometric at this instant but something like this

very similar to national documents (change colours and few other things)

It hasn't still a chip but surely, current Spanish electronic ID cards doesn't worth and we are waiting for card 3.0

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways