daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #14081
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Bulgaria issues these to EU citizens resident in Bulgaria.

I don't believe they are valid for use outside the Republic of Bulgaria. Nothing on the card indicates that it is not valid for travel.
The Romanian Border police won't accept them nor will the Bulgarian border police when returning to Bulgaria.
I have used my card to as ID to check into hotels in Germany and Austria without issues.

Last edited by haddockman; December 29th, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #14082
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Belgium and the Netherlands to exchange a piece of territory of some 15 soccer fields in size

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...fight-36005546

Quote:
Preparatory work has been done and the two nations' parliaments should be able to complete a deal sometime in 2016, Neven said, almost two centuries after the 1843 border posts were set. And all with a smile on everyone's face, even though Belgium will get only a tiny part around a lock that has been built to promote traffic between the two nations.
Any more info on this?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #14083
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Belgium and the Netherlands to exchange a piece of territory of some 15 soccer fields in size

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...fight-36005546

Any more info on this?
Most probably this place: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8024978,5.6987282,15z

The river has changed its flow after the border line was set up.

It is somewhat surprising that Belgium and the Netherlands seem to have not prepared for this kind of changes.

The border river between Finland and Sweden moves constantly, and the governments have agreed to carry a demarcation every about 25 years. In addition, the states have agreed on a concept of "sovereignty islands". There are a few such islands having buildings belonging to a property of either side of the river. Even if an island belonging to a Finnish property were moved to Sweden, the Finnish jurisdiction would apply, and vice versa.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #14084
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

That's why using rivers for territory delimitation is a bad idea, with Galileo/Glonas/GPS there is no need anymore of use rivers for delimitation.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #14085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Tell that to Mason & Dixon
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #14086
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
That's why using rivers for territory delimitation is a bad idea, with Galileo/Glonas/GPS there is no need anymore of use rivers for delimitation.
Hey, do you know the usually rivers are not used for borders for better navigation? ;-)) (Or actuallly they ARE used for navigation, if you know that this word originally means sailing :-))
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM   #14087
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
So does it happen in Spain, providing you have a valid residence in the country.

It wouldn't be biometric at this instant but something like this

very similar to national documents (change colours and few other things)

It hasn't still a chip but surely, current Spanish electronic ID cards doesn't worth and we are waiting for card 3.0
Actually these cards are only issued to non-EU nationals. EU nationals just receive a green paper with their spanish VAT number (no photo or anything) and are required to carry their own national ID cards (italian, french, german etc).
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:57 PM   #14088
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Turkish - Iranian border near Bazargan

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

General Maximus, Corvinus, SRC_100 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:03 AM   #14089
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Today's "where is it?" historical question :

https://youtu.be/2n1sI71rIZ0?t=21

And especially...

https://youtu.be/2n1sI71rIZ0?t=90

It must be the DDR-West Berlin border, but where on earth existed such thorough checks on entry to West Berlin/West Germany? I don't understand German, so maybe someone here might figure it out?

The whole video is worth a watch - there's quite a lot of historical footage of border controls there, including in the U-Bahn in Berlin.

Last edited by Eulanthe; January 2nd, 2016 at 01:15 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM   #14090
Attus

No idea about which checkpoint it is.
The whole story is about Polish citizens. In 1989 Polish citizens were free to travel to West Berlin and many of them travelled in order to sell there something. In the video we can see custom checks.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM   #14091
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Actually these cards are only issued to non-EU nationals. EU nationals just receive a green paper with their spanish VAT number (no photo or anything) and are required to carry their own national ID cards (italian, french, german etc).
The same in Germany.
Unfortunately in Hungary there is an old law: if you are Hungarian citizen but no resident in Hungary, you may not have an ID card. So my (Hungarian citizen resident in Germany) only identification document is my passport.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 04:38 PM   #14092
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
No idea about which checkpoint it is.
The whole story is about Polish citizens. In 1989 Polish citizens were free to travel to West Berlin and many of them travelled in order to sell there something. In the video we can see custom checks.
This is really strange, because everything I've read suggested that customs checks were only random (like we can see in the U-Bahn in the video) - but those checks at the border crossing look to be systematic to me.

If it is the DDR-West Berlin border, then it must be at Dreilinden as I don't think any other West Berlin border crossing had anything resembling a modern border crossing.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:30 PM   #14093
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Border crossing between Israel and Palestine, on the road between Jerusalem and Betlehem

So, Palestinian can enter Israel but not vice-versa? I though it was the other way round.
Vehicles on the photo are Israeli (plates, Hebrew script, .il domain), so I don't understand.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

SRC_100 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:05 PM   #14094
hjf

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
This is really strange, because everything I've read suggested that customs checks were only random (like we can see in the U-Bahn in the video) - but those checks at the border crossing look to be systematic to me.
26 years ago it was not strange, but in the eyes of the Westgermans a serious issue. It was considered smuggling and loss of tax revenue, the custom officers were after. The total amounts recovered were marginal when considering the then Westgerman budget, but the media coverage conveyed and established a different (distorted) public perception. Sidenote: Does this ring a bell? It should, because media coverage these days is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
If it is the DDR-West Berlin border, then it must be at Dreilinden as I don't think any other West Berlin border crossing had anything resembling a modern border crossing.
Well, Stolpe/Heiligensee (opened in the mid-80s) was also accessible by Poles and in fact would have been chosen if they would have been coming from the Baltic or Sczeczin. The signs to be seen in the background though seem to be somewhat older, thus suggesting it was indeed Dreilinden/Drewitz.
hjf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 04:34 AM   #14095
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf View Post
26 years ago it was not strange, but in the eyes of the Westgermans a serious issue. It was considered smuggling and loss of tax revenue, the custom officers were after. The total amounts recovered were marginal when considering the then Westgerman budget, but the media coverage conveyed and established a different (distorted) public perception. Sidenote: Does this ring a bell? It should, because media coverage these days is...
Thank you! So much is written about the East German controls, but information about the West Berlin/West Germany controls is very hard to find. I don't speak German, so it's not so easy to find - and Polish sources mainly talk about how Poles went there to sell things and how the border was more or less open for them.

What's very interesting about that video is that it shows that the Western controls were also thorough - including the guy physically forcing one guy into a room to check him.

Quote:
Well, Stolpe/Heiligensee (opened in the mid-80s) was also accessible by Poles and in fact would have been chosen if they would have been coming from the Baltic or Sczeczin. The signs to be seen in the background though seem to be somewhat older, thus suggesting it was indeed Dreilinden/Drewitz.
I have to shamefully admit that this is the first time I've heard about Stolpe/Heiligensee - for whatever reason, I didn't pick up on it before. Again, usual problem though - plenty of sources about GuST Stolpe, very little about Heiligensee.

Here's a picture of Heiligensee. When I look at the video, I think it was there - the building is a single story, like in Heiligensee, and it's also white.

Last edited by Eulanthe; January 3rd, 2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #14096
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Anyone know what is going on here?

This is on the Maine/Quebec border. All of the access is from Quebec and it leads to some isolated buildings on the Maine side. Any idea what is going on here? To the north east you can see the border swath but this cleared area is in Maine.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/46%...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

There is a similar unusual place here.

https://goo.gl/maps/KVtopAChPHk

This one looks like a runway close to the border and nothing on the Quebec side.

Last edited by Proof Sheet; January 8th, 2016 at 04:41 AM.
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #14097
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

curiously that very road is listed in the Toponomy Commission (oh Quebec, there is a bureacuracy for everything...)
http://www.toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/T...?no_seq=113174

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #14098
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
This is on the Maine/Quebec border. All of the access is from Quebec and it leads to some isolated buildings on the Maine side. Any idea what is going on here? To the north east you can see the border swath but this cleared area is in Maine.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/46%...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

There is a similar unusual place here.

https://goo.gl/maps/KVtopAChPHk

This one looks like a runway close to the border and nothing on the Quebec side.
"What's going on there"? In that part of Maine, not much....

Seriously, it is strange, though. Huge swaths of northern Maine are owned by timber companies. That one farm sitting there right on the border.... I wonder if that's been there since the border was actually finalized (by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #14099
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
curiously that very road is listed in the Toponomy Commission (oh Quebec, there is a bureacuracy for everything...)
http://www.toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/T...?no_seq=113174
It's in the "Ville" of Saint-Pamphile!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #14100
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Is it legal to cross that Canadian-USA border or you may go to a booth?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways