daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #14101
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Speed limit sign. You'll see this at almost every European border.
The UK version at Dover on the A20. I do not agree with the scale, on the motorway they insist in slowing me down with 3 km/h.

Penn's Woods, Suburbanist liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #14102
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Is it legal to cross that Canadian-USA border or you may go to a booth?
There are probably ground sensors in the area

The closest booth is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/54cEHVYAQkT2

The reason for a border crossing there is for logging in Maine with the logs to be processed in Quebec. Note the logs on the left hand side of the image. That border crossing is only open limited hours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...order_Crossing

Here is the Google Street View imagery showing the border crossing to the south west where the border is a small river. On the US side (Maine) it is just woods

https://goo.gl/maps/BqsLymQu6Jo

Penn's Woods liked this post
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #14103
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
There are probably ground sensors in the area

The closest booth is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/54cEHVYAQkT2

The reason for a border crossing there is for logging in Maine with the logs to be processed in Quebec. Note the logs on the left hand side of the image. That border crossing is only open limited hours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...order_Crossing

Here is the Google Street View imagery showing the border crossing to the south west where the border is a small river. On the US side (Maine) it is just woods

https://goo.gl/maps/BqsLymQu6Jo
It seems that one can drive from USA to Canada through this wooden bridge undisturbed.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #14104
Proof Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It seems that one can drive from USA to Canada through this wooden bridge undisturbed.
The building on the far side is US customs...turn the street view imagery 180 degrees and you'll see a building on the north side of the road with parking in front which is the Canadian customs building. The traffic is so low there and it is all logging trucks.

A place to cross from Canada to the US 'undisturbed' is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/ECVLxgrUNtN2

No street view imagery. The community on the north side is St. Regis, QC and it is north of Hogansburg, NY. No border formalities and 2 roads crossing between the 2. St Regis, QC is an indian reserve town and a very interesting place.
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #14105
italystf

Quote:
The building on the far side is US customs...turn the street view imagery 180 degrees and you'll see a building on the north side of the road with parking in front which is the Canadian customs building. The traffic is so low there and it is all logging trucks.

A place to cross from Canada to the US 'undisturbed' is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/ECVLxgrUNtN2

No street view imagery. The community on the north side is St. Regis, QC and it is north of Hogansburg, NY. No border formalities and 2 roads crossing between the 2. St Regis, QC is an indian reserve town and a very interesting place.
Having no border controls seems logical, as St. Regis, QC is a de facto Canadian enclave in US and you can't get elsewhere in Canada from here.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #14106
Proof Sheet

Quote:
Having no border controls seems logical, as St. Regis, QC is a de facto Canadian enclave in US and you can't get elsewhere in Canada from here.
That may be the case but based on all of the items that cross that border (people, drugs, guns, cigarettes) in both directions a border control would be a busy operation. However, due to the fact that it is an indian reserve good luck with introducing it.

To the east the roads between St. Regis and Dundee/Fort Covington don't have border controls...but as you said they do lead to a de facto canadian enclave.
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #14107
italystf

Sorry, my bad, the correct term is exclave, not enclave.

There are other places in US\Canada accessible only from the other country, some of them have already been discussed here in the past: Point Roberts (Washington, accessible only from British Columbia), Campobello Island (New Brunswich, accessible only from Maine, Northwest Angle (Minnseota, accessible only from Manitoba) and Hyder (Alaska, accessible only from British Columbia).

None of them is an enclave in the true sense, as is not entirely surrounded by the other country (like Campione d'Italia, Italy, entirely surrounded by Switzerland), but they are accessible by road only from the other country.
Old January 9th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #14108
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Thus...nor enclave neither exclave (opposite to enclave) but...periclave

It is a territory joined to mainland but needs to cross another territory to reach it due to mountains, lakes...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #14109
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
It's important to note though, that's a Indian territory on both the US and Canadian sides. The "NY" and "QC" are more de jure and de facto not relevant, and border control by external power would be strongly resisted by the inhabitants (with guns)

The other isolated parts of the border on "normal" land have pretty (IMO absurdly) stringent border controls like e.g. Port Roberts or even the strange areas in the BC / Alaska border.
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #14110
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
That may be the case but based on all of the items that cross that border (people, drugs, guns, cigarettes) in both directions a border control would be a busy operation. However, due to the fact that it is an indian reserve good luck with introducing it.

To the east the roads between St. Regis and Dundee/Fort Covington don't have border controls...but as you said they do lead to a de facto canadian enclave.
Back in the early 90s there was some...fun...between Mohawks and law enforcement there and in other reserves around Montreal. At one point, Mohawks had the Mercier Bridge blocked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis

(I scanned that article...it doesn't mention Saint Regis, but I think at some point around that time there were headlines about cigarette smuggling....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #14111
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Sorry, my bad, the correct term is exclave, not enclave.

There are other places in US\Canada accessible only from the other country, some of them have already been discussed here in the past: Point Roberts (Washington, accessible only from British Columbia), Campobello Island (New Brunswich, accessible only from Maine, Northwest Angle (Minnseota, accessible only from Manitoba) and Hyder (Alaska, accessible only from British Columbia).

None of them is an enclave in the true sense, as is not entirely surrounded by the other country (like Campione d'Italia, Italy, entirely surrounded by Switzerland), but they are accessible by road only from the other country.
I've been to Campobello. You can continue farther into Canada by ferry. (The main reason to visit Campobello is Franklin Roosevelt's vacation home. It's now an international park. He caught polio swimming in that area.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #14112
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Back in the early 90s there was some...fun...between Mohawks and law enforcement there and in other reserves around Montreal. At one point, Mohawks had the Mercier Bridge blocked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis

(I scanned that article...it doesn't mention Saint Regis, but I think at some point around that time there were headlines about cigarette smuggling....)
The cigarette thing in the early 90's was mostly coming out of Akwasasne IIRC. Basically smoke companies were "exporting" to there and then they were being sold as grey-market out of there (and through other reserves).

The governments basically lowered tobacco excise taxes and sued the tobacco majors and it pretty much disappeared
But starting around 2005 the natives started making their own smokes en-masse and selling them on-reserve and have been doing tidy business... (the lesson of the reduced taxes was immediately forgotten, they were raised several times)
And now a Kahawake (near Montreal) reserve has a "winery" mixing product out of 1000 L totes fro Italy that is annoying the liquor commission quite a bit

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 9th, 2016 at 10:22 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #14113
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It's important to note though, that's a Indian territory on both the US and Canadian sides. The "NY" and "QC" are more de jure and de facto not relevant, and border control by external power would be strongly resisted by the inhabitants (with guns)

The other isolated parts of the border on "normal" land have pretty (IMO absurdly) stringent border controls like e.g. Port Roberts or even the strange areas in the BC / Alaska border.
Are Indian territories in US and Canada subject to federal laws (i.e. laws valid in the whole US/Canada in opposition of laws issued by single US states or Canadian provinces\territories)?
Old January 10th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #14114
Kanadzie

Yes. However, especially in Canada, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be respected or could be enforced (especially in regards to smuggling...)
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #14115
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

When will BE/NL change territory?

Old January 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #14116
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yes. However, especially in Canada, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be respected or could be enforced (especially in regards to smuggling...)
Is this simply because it would be seen as a very bad move politically to enforce the law on them?

I've been reading about the situation with border control on Cornwall Island, and it's astonishing as how little common sense seems to apply there. It must be one of the very few places where people traveling back from visiting another part of a country are forced to go through border controls even though they've never crossed the border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #14117
Kanadzie

Definitely a bad political move... if the government sent police or army into the reserve the natives would resist them with force, and the other native groups around the country would probably do various annoying things (blockading highways and rail lines), no way that could ever end up good... as you can see what happened at Cornwall (basically the government gave guns to the border guards (because of the border guard union pressure) and the natives chased them off the island to the mainland, where they stay - ergo the silly current situation)
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #14118
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Crossing from the US to Canada in Carway (Montana/Alberta)

DSC01490
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_1146
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01491
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #14119
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

The strange and remarkable thing to me about the USA/Canada border is that they don't have exit controls and that they have separate border stations, even at borders that have very light traffic.

You would think by now that they would suss out that working together from one large border station makes more sense in many smaller areas. There's a great example I've found - Estcourt Station - Pohénégamook Border Crossing (US/CA)

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4563...7i13312!8i6656

Canadian Port of Entry

The US border station is further up that road. But...what's this? What's this I found behind the Canadian border?

Oh, a petrol station? That's nothing special...but wait, what's this?

It's in the United States...?

From what I've read online, if you visit the petrol station, you need to drive onwards up to the US border crossing, report there, then turn round back into Canada, then cross back into the United States to actually buy fuel, then turn round back into Canada and report immediately to the Canadian Port of Entry. Madness, and a single building to cater for both Canadian and American controls would make far more sense in such a place.

CSerpent, piotr71, nick.english.dept liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #14120
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Everytime you have a border with different taxes you can find this curious examples.

I attach a new one

https://www.google.es/maps/@43.29291...7i13312!8i6656

Shopping centre is in Spain (it will sell anything but mainly those goods with lower taxes). It it in the ritght side of the image

Parking is in France.

The brigde is over the border...

Tags
highways, motorways