daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #14161
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Isn't the latter route too short for partying? If I remember correctly the faster routes only take 2 h. Of course possible to extend it, but still...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #14162
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Isn't the latter route too short for partying? If I remember correctly the faster routes only take 2 h. Of course possible to extend it, but still...
I think there's one journey that's specifically for it - I seem to recall that Tallink at least offer a sailing that includes 4 hours in Tallinn and an overnight stay on board in Tallinn harbour before returning to Helsinki. From what I remember, people basically drink on board, get even more drunk in Tallinn (you can spend 4 hours in Tallinn) drink even more on board, then pass out at some silly hour in the morning.

edit : checked it, and basically, it works like this. You can get a return (with a cabin) for 4 adults for 100 Euro on a Saturday night, or as little as 48 Euro during the week. Let's say you go at the weekend - the ferry leaves Helsinki at 18:30 and arrives in Tallinn at 22:00. You've been drinking already on the ferry, so you go and hit up some nightlife in Tallinn. You need to be back by 2am or they won't let you on the boat until later in the morning. So people get back on the ferry at 2am and keep partying until morning. The ferry stays in Tallinn until 12:30 and arrives in Helsinki at 16:00, so you can easily party till dawn and sleep it off.

My friend sent me a message saying that you can often find discount codes as well, so it's quite normal to pay less than 10 Euro per person for the trip. Tallink make a huge amount of money on alcohol/cigarette sales (you can park your car on board for 30 Euro) so they can afford to run the crossing for next to nothing.

By the way, I've found out why there's no booze ferry from Aland to Finland. The law in Finland only allows people travelling to/from Aland to import 2 litres of beer.

Last edited by Eulanthe; January 24th, 2016 at 02:56 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:47 AM   #14163
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Norwegians get drunk in Sweden, the Swedish in Denmark and the Danish in Germany. Germans get drunk anywhere...
What about the French?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #14164
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

French are too refined to ever get drunk. At least not like boorish Germans and English
They just have other ways
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #14165
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

General Maximus is from Limoges. :-)

N'est-ce pas, mon général ?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 24th, 2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #14166
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Just to write the final definitive point about Aland and the reference earlier to an invisible border - it's not true. Aland has Customs stations at Langnas, Mariehamn and Eckero, as well as at Mariehamn Airport. For the Alandstrafiken ferries, there's an agreement with the Finnish tax authorities that declarations can be made onboard the ferries to mainland Finland.

In short, the Customs line exists and is controlled - just that it's simply not visible on the Alandstrafiken routes because there's no need for a physical presence. Alandstrafiken doesn't sell tax-free goods, so there's no need to have controls at the ports. Commercial traffic will be advised by the ferry staff of the need to make the declaration, and there's information on board to help anyone else that might need to make such a declaration.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #14167
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
French are too refined to ever get drunk. At least not like boorish Germans and English
They just have other ways
Well They just go on the othe side of the street , to Menen

Halluin-Menen

Kanadzie, Moravian liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #14168
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Just to write the final definitive point about Aland and the reference earlier to an invisible border - it's not true. Aland has Customs stations at Langnas, Mariehamn and Eckero, as well as at Mariehamn Airport. For the Alandstrafiken ferries, there's an agreement with the Finnish tax authorities that declarations can be made onboard the ferries to mainland Finland.

In short, the Customs line exists and is controlled - just that it's simply not visible on the Alandstrafiken routes because there's no need for a physical presence. Alandstrafiken doesn't sell tax-free goods, so there's no need to have controls at the ports. Commercial traffic will be advised by the ferry staff of the need to make the declaration, and there's information on board to help anyone else that might need to make such a declaration.
Having some non-zero experience about the local conditions and priorities might bring some degree of credibility.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #14169
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Well They just go on the othe side of the street , to Menen

Halluin-Menen
"Maison belge" in Menen? I'm surprised the Taalaktiekomitee (sp?) hasn't vandalized that sign.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

nenea_hartia liked this post
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #14170
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

N -> RUS border, Storskog/Kirkenes. I guess it's a recent photo from this winter.
Northernmost sign with the small Luxembourgish village mentioned?

(Src - http://www.krone.at/Welt/Norwegen_As...k-Story-492097)

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #14171
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Another border...

Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia, ON, CDN to Port Huron, MI, USA.
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #14172
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Canada US Border website

http://www.clui.org/section/united-d...acanada-border

I found this very interesting website on the Canada US border. Descriptions and photos of line houses and border crossing information.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #14173
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Wow... a huge document. It would require a time to read entirely

Btw... what about Alaska borders?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #14174
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
Another border...

Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia, ON, CDN to Port Huron, MI, USA.
Wow, so you can drive a little faster across the bridge if you're Canadian then (or any other nationality that adheres to the metric system)? That's cool.

zsmg, Kanadzie liked this post
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #14175
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I'd say that anyone can drive 50 km/h (31 mph). Or maybe it's 50 km/h on the Canadian side of the bridge and 30 mph (48 km/h) on the American side.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #14176
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Wow, so you can drive a little faster across the bridge if you're Canadian then (or any other nationality that adheres to the metric system)? That's cool.
Exactly. I drove it with 80 km/h (downhill is pretty steep...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'd say that anyone can drive 50 km/h (31 mph). Or maybe it's 50 km/h on the Canadian side of the bridge and 30 mph (48 km/h) on the American side.
No is just one speed limit the whole bridge. When you cross the border is more or less in middle of bridge, but at the end of the bridge is the border checkpoint, so you can't really go that fast. I can't imagine police would be looking there for speeders (or even how, since they would have to be on the "outside" of the checkpoint)
Old January 29th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #14177
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Exactly. I drove it with 80 km/h (downhill is pretty steep...)

No is just one speed limit the whole bridge. When you cross the border is more or less in middle of bridge, but at the end of the bridge is the border checkpoint, so you can't really go that fast. I can't imagine police would be looking there for speeders (or even how, since they would have to be on the "outside" of the checkpoint)
In reality if you're doing 30MPH/50km/h on the bridge you're usually getting passed anyway - even by heavies or you end up with people driving right up your rear!
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #14178
gorefest

Likes (Received): 97

The Lainici pass ( or the pass of Surduc ) today located in the county of Hunedoara , Romania ... untill first world war , this was the place where the Austro-Hungarian Empire and and the Kingdom of Romania had their border crossing ...

view from hungarian side

view from the romanian side

Old January 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #14179
gorefest

year 1934 - Tripoint Romania-Yugoslavia-Hungary
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #14180
gorefest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=segFpceQUFk

BORDER WATCHERS 1970 Documentary .. made by the american govenrment .. hahahhahahaha.... USSR propaganda is nothing compared with what these guys were doing

piotr71, Alqaszar liked this post
gorefest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways