daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2016, 01:14 AM   #14181
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Four French guards and Swiss guards at the border between Switzerland and France in Pfetterhouse, Region Alsace on 19 June 1917

zsmg, pai nosso, SRC_100, Palance, Highway89 and 9 others liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:07 AM   #14182
gorefest

Likes (Received): 97

guys ? and i am asking now especially the people from Romania or Moldova or of course ukrainians or russians ... does anyone knows or has any old pictures with border crossings between the USSR and the Sociialist Republic of Romania ? Acording to the former Chief of the Romanian General Staff , in the cold war , there were NO crossing borders between Soviet Union and RSR .... of course there were flights , there were railways for freight transport , but no auto or pedestrian borders ... After the fall of communism we reestablished the links with our brothers from the other sides of Prut , but with Ukraine we remained with the gates closed .. This untill 1996 when we began negotions for UE and one of the conditions was to have opened borders will all the neighboring states ... Does anyone have any ideea how was it ? I was too small at that time ( only 6 years old ) didn`t knew what was going on .... As i`ve tried to find some pics with possible existing crossing border , i`ve found out those pics ...but nothing old to show me that there were crossing borders for vehicles and people in the cold war

Valea Vişeului - County of Maramureş

Last edited by gorefest; February 4th, 2016 at 09:12 AM.
gorefest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:17 AM   #14183
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I'm not certain, but from what I know -

There were some crossing points from the USSR to Romania, but they were exclusively for the use of the Soviets transiting Romania and not for general use. General tourist traffic was supposed to go through Hungary. The practical effect would be that few Romanians would have gone to the USSR, as the Hungarian/Romanian border was notorious for just how corrupt it was - it was nothing like the DDR borders which were thorough and correct, but not really corrupt.

I *think* this might have been an attempt to destroy the links between the Moldavian SSR and Romania. There was a similar situation on the Lithuanian SSR-Polish border where all traffic had to go through the Belorussian SSR unless they had special permission/diplomatic passports.

It seems that post-revolution in Romania, the three border crossings were opened up, but the Soviets were controlling it in a totally disorganised and corrupt way. There's an article here about it - http://articles.philly.com/1991-09-2...-reunification
Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM   #14184
gorefest

Thank you so very much for the information !
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:29 AM   #14185
gorefest

How cool is that ? An 18 holes golf pitch , 9 holes in Sweden , 9 in Finland ... I don't have any ideea of playing golf , but I would surely like to try playing in such a place

Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:07 AM   #14186
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is located here

https://www.google.es/maps/@65.85776.../data=!3m1!1e3

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

gorefest liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:57 AM   #14187
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorefest View Post
How cool is that ? An 18 holes golf pitch , 9 holes in Sweden , 9 in Finland ... I don't have any ideea of playing golf , but I would surely like to try playing in such a place
According to the local golf club, 11 holes are in Sweden and 7 in Finland. The border runs across the putting green of hole #6. Thus, there is a possibility to make an international hole-in-one crossing a time zone.

gorefest liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:20 PM   #14188
gorefest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The border runs across the putting green of hole #6. Thus, there is a possibility to make an international hole-in-one crossing a time zone.
haha now that would be amazing
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:13 PM   #14189
gorefest

Somalia - Ethiopia border crossing !!!!!???? Never seen something like this

Last edited by gorefest; February 2nd, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
gorefest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:43 PM   #14190
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorefest View Post
haha now that would be amazing
And there is an Ikea (obviously in the Swedish side) around that golf.

I read that they have clocks with both Finnish and Swedish times and allow both currencies (SEK and EUR)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 11:22 AM   #14191
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And there is an Ikea (obviously in the Swedish side) around that golf.

I read that they have clocks with both Finnish and Swedish times and allow both currencies (SEK and EUR)
Not just Ikea and not just EUR - ever since I was a child, most major shops along the borderline have accepted both currencies, that is SEK and FIM until 2001 and SEK and EUR thereafter.

My first memories of Sweden are from 1985. We lived in Rovaniemi, 100 km of the border, but sometimes did some grocery shopping in Sweden, and it was worth the drive. (Of course petrol was cheaper than today.)
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM   #14192
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Not just Ikea and not just EUR - ever since I was a child, most major shops along the borderline have accepted both currencies, that is SEK and FIM until 2001 and SEK and EUR thereafter.
The big shops in Haparanda even accepted the debit cards of the Finnish banks which where domestic-only in the pre-SEPA era.

But still it is economical to pay in Swedish Crowns: The SEK to EUR rate at the shops is determined by the shopkeeper, and it usually is worse than the rate of credit card operators.

Quote:
My first memories of Sweden are from 1985. We lived in Rovaniemi, 100 km of the border, but sometimes did some grocery shopping in Sweden, and it was worth the drive. (Of course petrol was cheaper than today.)
It was beneficial to fill the tank in Sweden, too, because the petrol was slightly cheaper in Sweden.

Before the EEA membership in 1994, importing butter from Sweden was limited to 2.5 kg per person. That made butter a forbidden fruit. Quite many bus companies arranged shopping trips to Haparanda and people smuggled a lot of butter. The longest trips were 500+ kilometers one-way. Still, the butter was not the key point but having some fun. In that time, there was even a butter shop at the port of Umeå, to serve mad Finns.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 03:09 PM   #14193
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

ambassador bridge
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #14194
gorefest

credits , depts, smuggling ==========> connecting people
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #14195
saobracajni znaci

Likes (Received): 1

The Lainici pass ( or the pass of Surduc ) today located in the county of Hunedoara , Romania ... untill first world war , this was the place where the Austro-Hungarian Empire and and the Kingdom of Romania had their border crossing ...
Is it today here?
https://www.google.rs/maps/@45.27068...7i13312!8i6656

gorefest liked this post
saobracajni znaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #14196
gorefest

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobracajni znaci View Post
The Lainici pass ( or the pass of Surduc ) today located in the county of Hunedoara , Romania ... untill first world war , this was the place where the Austro-Hungarian Empire and and the Kingdom of Romania had their border crossing ...
Is it today here?
https://www.google.rs/maps/@45.27068...7i13312!8i6656
you got it !
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #14197
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Before the EEA membership in 1994, importing butter from Sweden was limited to 2.5 kg per person. That made butter a forbidden fruit. Quite many bus companies arranged shopping trips to Haparanda and people smuggled a lot of butter. The longest trips were 500+ kilometers one-way. Still, the butter was not the key point but having some fun. In that time, there was even a butter shop at the port of Umeå, to serve mad Finns.
Indeed, the word used for such trips (in Rovaniemi at least) was "rasvaretki", or for our foreign friends here, "grease trip". Regardless of whether butter actually was bought or not. (The word is somewhat similar with "rosvoretki", meaning "bandit trip" or thievery, which kind of carries the idea of the forbidden.)
Old February 6th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #14198
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Talking about Haparanda, do you know if it functioned as one city with Tornio before both countries joined the EU? It's always held up as an example of European cooperation, but I've always wondered if this was a modern day thing or if they had been effectively functioning as one city for years.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #14199
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Talking about Haparanda, do you know if it functioned as one city with Tornio before both countries joined the EU? It's always held up as an example of European cooperation, but I've always wondered if this was a modern day thing or if they had been effectively functioning as one city for years.
Actually nowadays Tornio and Haparanda don't fell very integrated... they use different currencies to pay, they are on different time zones, they use extremely different languages and most signs are not bilingual at all, they have just 2 streets crossings and both full of cameras watching you...

I was completely disapointed when I visited these cities that are supoused to be an example of european cooperation... Irun-Hendaya, Menton-Ventimiglia or Strasboug-Kehl feel much more integrated than these 2...
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #14200
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

I guess there's more integration on the Silja Line ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki. While the company itself is Estonian, the crew on board are both Swedish and Finnish, both currencies are accepted and the time on board is the time of the country where departed.

Attus, mrsmartman liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways