daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2016, 03:24 PM   #14281
Gyorgy

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Border between Croatia and Hungary.
Oh our media, it's an old photo prom SRB-H border near Horgos.

Verso liked this post
Gyorgy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2016, 06:59 PM   #14282
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

You're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Verso, has Slovenia built any fences?
Yes, more than 100 km on the Croatian border (or barbed wire).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:16 AM   #14283
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
According to the police, there has been 8km queue into Germany.
8 km means that it already goes past Flensburg-Harrislee interchange; a little more and it will reach Flensburg southern. It might be tempting to some drivers to exit the motorway and take B200 to Danish 170 instead.

But what is the situation over there?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:56 AM   #14284
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
You're right.

Yes, more than 100 km on the Croatian border (or barbed wire).
Slovenia bought the wires from Hungary....
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:57 PM   #14285
gbrads1980

Likes (Received): 2

Man tries to cross Gibraltar border in stolen Guardia Civil vehicle.

Most of you will have probably already seen this video, it shows a polish man trying to cross the border into Gibraltar in a stolen Guardia Civil vehicle.

It got me thinking, the Gib government admitted that there was no equipment at the border to stop a car that didn't want to stop voluntarily, and there have been a couple of incidents previous to this, most recently when a local man who was wanted in Spain floored it when the Policia asked to see his passport.

What do other borders do to prevent people from not stopping, from what I can see not many borders have physical barriers etc.

CSerpent liked this post

Last edited by bogdymol; February 22nd, 2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: embedded youtube video
gbrads1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:33 PM   #14286
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I think I saw somewhere at a Russian border spikes in the ground.
When the barrier was lifted, the spikes went down and the care could pass without damage...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:03 PM   #14287
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I think I saw somewhere at a Russian border spikes in the ground.
When the barrier was lifted, the spikes went down and the care could pass without damage...
A manual solution when approaching Finland (note, not the actual border itself). The officer may, if needed, unroll the spikes in a matter of seconds.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.60733...7i13312!8i6656

CSerpent liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:10 PM   #14288
bogdymol
bogdymod

At all borders I've crossed (in Eastern Europe, Romania, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Slovakia) there was only a barrier like you find when entering parking lots (plastic, that you can easily break). On almost all the barrier stayed up all the time when that specific lane was open for traffic (you stopped to show your documents because the Police was there and you didn't want trouble, but not because you couldn't drive away).

I remember few months ago when the first motorway crossing opened between Romania and Hungary. First times when I passed that one, they lifted the barrier up and down after each vehicle. Now it stays up all the time.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:10 PM   #14289
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I posted in a Spanish thread... not as a border but as a really silly person.
Press release talked about he had some head problems.... and in fact, he stole an official police vehicle and tried to cross a border with it. Clearly, in the passport control he was caught.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:57 PM   #14290
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
A manual solution when approaching Finland (note, not the actual border itself). The officer may, if needed, unroll the spikes in a matter of seconds.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.60733...7i13312!8i6656
Any clue what is the purpose of that control point? It is located several kilometers off the border station.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:52 PM   #14291
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Greece-Macedonia:

http://www.rtvslo.si/begunska-kriza/...ke-meje/386509

Mr. Pollo, piotr71, Moravian liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #14292
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrads1980 View Post
Most of you will have probably already seen this video, it shows a polish man trying to cross the border into Gibraltar in a stolen Guardia Civil vehicle.

It got me thinking, the Gib government admitted that there was no equipment at the border to stop a car that didn't want to stop voluntarily, and there have been a couple of incidents previous to this, most recently when a local man who was wanted in Spain floored it when the Policia asked to see his passport.

What do other borders do to prevent people from not stopping, from what I can see not many borders have physical barriers etc.
Perhaps it's our old friend Road_UK!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #14293
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Any clue what is the purpose of that control point? It is located several kilometers off the border station.
This is the outer limit of the border zone. A person entering the border zone must either have a special permit in doing so (permit is given to those living or doing business on the border zone, and to others under consideration), or be entitled to cross the actual border (= have a Schengen visa, be a Schengen citizen or a citizen of a country with visa free arrangement with Schengen).

In other words: Russia has been doing border control for Finland (and Schengen) all the time, and as you've probably heard from the news, our politicians are afraid of the fact that it might actually stop doing it, leaving our own dirty work to us.

Furthermore, a person entering or exiting Russia without a border zone permit must take the shortest possible route to or from the border station and not stop en route, not even for petrol. How strictly this rule is enforced depends more or less on the current political situation.

Last edited by OulaL; February 23rd, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:47 PM   #14294
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The Winter holiday traffic and the recently introduced border controls have created massive queues at the Danish-German border. According to Local TV station TV-SYD drivers had an extra driving time for up to 45 minutes.

The South Jutland Police, confirms the congestions:
- There is still a queue and we are busy. It is homebound traffic after the winter holidays, says police commissioner Anders Hansen.
- Now we have this border control and we are back in the old days. And that means that there is a queue at the border, he explains.
8 kilometers of queue
According to the police, there has been 8km queue into Germany.
- But we've opened some more lanes, so hopefully we can speed up the traffic flow, says Anders Hansen.

"Winter" holiday ;-)

[ot]
10 hour delay winter holiday queue Norwegian style, completely not due to border control....

[\ot]

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; February 24th, 2016 at 04:11 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:20 PM   #14295
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Furthermore, a person entering or exiting Russia without a border zone permit must take the shortest possible route to or from the border station and not stop en route, not even for petrol. How strictly this rule is enforced depends more or less on the current political situation.
I wonder - was the same rule in place on other borders where the border station wasn't directly on the border line in Europe?

I'm thinking about the A/SK border crossing in Kittsee - the SK border station was quite a long way away from the borderline, and the A border station was a good few hundred metres away. There was another one on the PL/SK border where the border station was about 2km away from the border line.

I think one used to exist on the PL/UA border at Kroscienko too - the UA border used to be located quite far away before the new joint crossing opened at Kroscienko.

(I know on the SLO/HR borders, they couldn't have cared less before Croatia joined the EU if you stopped between the borders.)
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #14296
OulaL

Quote:
I wonder - was the same rule in place on other borders where the border station wasn't directly on the border line in Europe?
No.

The place linked above is not a border station, it is just a place controlling the access to the border zone. The whole concept of "border zone" is unknown to many European countries. Finland has one against Russia at max 3 km (it has gaps on actual border crossing points, though, so there is no need to stop twice on Finnish side), however Russia has one on all its border and it can be over 10 km. Not only is crossing the border controlled, but also approaching the border. The border zone covers some rather large settlements, some reaching a thousand inhabitants.

There is an actual border station immediately next to the border for all the administrative stuff as any other non-Schengen border station in Europe, but there is no Google Street view data there, since photographing is forbidden.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:48 PM   #14297
piotr71

There is similar, couple of times discussed in this thread,"item" in Lithuania, near border with Belarus.
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #14298
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Greece-Macedonia:
That "OPEN BORDER" transparent, so hilarious
At the Röszke crossing, they were at least a little bit more creative: mini poem "No food, no water - until open this border", as well as ultimatums to the police.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Alex_ZR, Moravian liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #14299
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
No.

The place linked above is not a border station, it is just a place controlling the access to the border zone. The whole concept of "border zone" is unknown to many European countries. Finland has one against Russia at max 3 km (it has gaps on actual border crossing points, though, so there is no need to stop twice on Finnish side), however Russia has one on all its border and it can be over 10 km. Not only is crossing the border controlled, but also approaching the border. The border zone covers some rather large settlements, some reaching a thousand inhabitants.
No no, what I meant - is there anywhere else where such a 'no stopping' rule is enforced? Speaking of Russia - do these exist on all the approaches to the border, or just some areas? I know they have many closed areas. There's a good example here (this checkpoint isn't functioning anymore, as far as I know) - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.70...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Isn't the European idea of a border zone rather marked by signs and not physical control points? I'm thinking of Finland and Lithuania - they have signs, but no permanent control as such.

Bosnia apparently has a 100m border zone, but I've never even seen any police patrolling their border, yet alone any threats of punishments. Croatian police on the other hand always seem to turn up when I'm loitering around the border on their side of the BiH border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #14300
OulaL

Quote:
No no, what I meant - is there anywhere else where such a 'no stopping' rule is enforced?
Speaking of borders, I don't know. However there are some "no stopping areas" on roads passing by military areas.

Quote:
Speaking of Russia - do these exist on all the approaches to the border
As far as I know, yes.

Quote:
There's a good example here (this checkpoint isn't functioning anymore, as far as I know) - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.70...8i6656!6m1!1e1
That seems to be quite far from the border even by Russian standards. Maybe there is or has been a naval base or something at the end of that peninsula.

Quote:
Isn't the European idea of a border zone rather marked by signs and not physical control points? I'm thinking of Finland and Lithuania - they have signs, but no permanent control as such.
At least in Finland the border zone is marked very clearly with info boards, yellow warning signposts and yellow ribbons in trees (or yellow buoys when in water). Info boards telling the rules are used at least once on all public roads (and many private roads) leading to the border zone, and warning signposts and ribbons are used densely between them. On any sign/ribbon/buoy one should be able to see several more in each direction, so it should be easy to follow the outer limit of the zone. Trespassers shouldn't really be able to claim ignorance. There are no permanently manned control posts, but there are hidden cameras and if needed, the guards will be on site in a matter of minutes.

As already said, unlike in Russia, on the Finnish side the border zone has gaps on border crossings, so border crossing traffic doesn't need to stop twice.

Tags
highways, motorways