daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #14301
jcg96
Premium User

Likes (Received): 4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
45 minutes is not exactly a massive queue.
You can spend five hours at the Tijuana/San Diego border crossing at holidays.

tumblr.
jcg96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #14302
moderntm

Likes (Received): 973

Kazakhstan-Turkmenistan

cinxxx, Nikkodemo liked this post
moderntm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #14303
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

When did China annex Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #14304
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Very interesting, but I shall remind you that this thread is about "Highways & Autobahns - International border crossings" - so unless it's concerning directly road mobility and users, I would ask you guys otherwise to post in another thread - and there is a large forum all about rail and trains on SSC .

I'm very surprised that some geogregor or other verreme aren't here to remind you for that - although, apparently they do this only on purpose and solely for some users of this forum, even when they stick to the subject of the thread .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #14305
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg96 View Post
You can spend five hours at the Tijuana/San Diego border crossing at holidays.

I've spent in the past similar time or even more at Ipsala/Kipi, Pazarkule/Kastanies (TR/GR) because of malfunctioning Turkish computers and Greek officers on strike.
Both directions Kapitan Andreevo/Kapikule (BG/TR).
Entering fortress Europe via Horgos/Röszke (SRB/H) is always troublesome.
A lot of traffic diverted to Klingenbach/Sopron (A/H) during the Yugoslav war because Spielfeld/Sentilj (A/now SLO then YU) was blocked by Yugoslav army tanks.
Arrived at midnight at Negotin/Bregovo (YU/BG) and entered Bulgaria late in the morning.
Vidin/Calafat (BG/RO) ferry before the bridge was built. At night the ferries did not (fully) operate. Drank two bottles of Zagorka beer to kill time.
Spent the night at Battonya/Turnu (H/RO) because of limited opening hours then.

So 45 minutes is really peanuts.

haddockman liked this post
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #14306
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
A lot of traffic diverted to Klingenbach/Sopron (A/H) during the Yugoslav war because Spielfeld/Sentilj (A/now SLO then YU) was blocked by Yugoslav army tanks.
Just a point : I'm not sure Sentilj was actually ever under the control of the Yugoslav Army once Slovenia took over the border crossing. From what I remember, the JNA was ambushed near Pesnica and then a second attempt to reach Sentilj also ended in failure. Meanwhile, the JNA troops at the border stayed in their barracks or abandoned them, I don't remember which.

I think there were attacks from the air, but not much else.

Verso will know, where are you?

But yes, traffic diverted away from the Yugoslav border crossings because the JNA aim was to retake them, so they were dangerous places to be. But from what I remember seeing and watching, Slovenia and Austria never closed the borders, it just wasn't particularly wise to be there.

There's quite a few pictures here of border crossings during the Ten-Day War - http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/in...&topic=24417.0

I read one absurd account somewhere of how a British guy turned up on one of the border crossings during the war with a car full of goods. He was obviously way over the duty-free allowances, but when the Customs guy tried to charge him/fine him for it, he asked him under which law. The guy told him "blah blah law federal taxation blah blah" - to which, the British guy responded - "but, didn't you declare independence?".

The Customs guy to his credit apparently smiled and wished him a pleasant trip as they obviously had no laws of their own about the matter. Obviously the Yugoslav law was still valid, but given the circumstances...

edit : what's this "toll coupon" at the border crossing?

CSerpent, Sentilj, Karaya liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #14307
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19133

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Very interesting, but I shall remind you that this thread is about "Highways & Autobahns - International border crossings" - so unless it's concerning directly road mobility and users, I would ask you guys otherwise to post in another thread - and there is a large forum all about rail and trains on SSC .

I'm very surprised that some geogregor or other verreme aren't here to remind you for that - although, apparently they do this only on purpose and solely for some users of this forum, even when they stick to the subject of the thread .
Good point. Thanks for raising it.

I can't keep up with monitoring this thread, unfortunately I have life outside the internet
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #14308
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19133

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post

I can't keep up with monitoring this thread, unfortunately I have life outside the internet

But, fortunately, one can always rely on people holding a grudge
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #14309
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Just a point : I'm not sure Sentilj was actually ever under the control of the Yugoslav Army once Slovenia took over the border crossing. From what I remember, the JNA was ambushed near Pesnica and then a second attempt to reach Sentilj also ended in failure. Meanwhile, the JNA troops at the border stayed in their barracks or abandoned them, I don't remember which.

I think there were attacks from the air, but not much else.

But yes, traffic diverted away from the Yugoslav border crossings because the JNA aim was to retake them, so they were dangerous places to be. But from what I remember seeing and watching, Slovenia and Austria never closed the borders, it just wasn't particularly wise to be there.

There's quite a few pictures here of border crossings during the Ten-Day War - http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/in...&topic=24417.0

I read one absurd account somewhere of how a British guy turned up on one of the border crossings during the war with a car full of goods. He was obviously way over the duty-free allowances, but when the Customs guy tried to charge him/fine him for it, he asked him under which law. The guy told him "blah blah law federal taxation blah blah" - to which, the British guy responded - "but, didn't you declare independence?".

The Customs guy to his credit apparently smiled and wished him a pleasant trip as they obviously had no laws of their own about the matter. Obviously the Yugoslav law was still valid, but given the circumstances...

During the ten-days war there have been armed fightings near the Italian border (at Sezana and Rozna Dolina\Nova Gorica) and near the Austrian border (the Karavanken tunnel, that opened few weeks before, was closed).
In the previous pages of this thread there are pics of soldiers replacing the "SFR Jugoslavija" entry sign with "Republika Slovenija", at border crossings with Italy.

The pic you shows refers to a border crossing with Italy. I can't figure which one, but looking at the terrain, it looks like near Trieste. Certainly it's not in the Alps.

In Yugoslavia there were few tolled motorways, but none reached the Italian border. I don't know what the "toll coupon" refers to.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; February 25th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #14310
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Sleeping between 2:15 and 2:49 AM. The war lasted only ten days, so the border crossing couldn't've been blocked for long.

Quote:
No idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Yugoslavia there were few tolled motorways, but none reached the Italian border.
There was a 0.5-km-long motorway to Italy by Nova Gorica.

Old February 25th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #14311
Usman ali

Likes (Received): 5025

Khunjerab Pass,Border crossing between China & Pakistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JADI View Post

Thats the Limit
by Warrraichzada, on Flickr
Worlds highest border crossing at altitude 4.733 m, Khunjerab Pass, Pakistan-China Border

gr_kanev, CSerpent, Corvinus, SRC_100, 8166UY and 3 others liked this post
Usman ali está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #14312
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Koper in both directions?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #14313
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
I've spent in the past similar time or even more at Ipsala/Kipi, Pazarkule/Kastanies (TR/GR) because of malfunctioning Turkish computers and Greek officers on strike.
Both directions Kapitan Andreevo/Kapikule (BG/TR).
Entering fortress Europe via Horgos/Röszke (SRB/H) is always troublesome.
Arrived at midnight at Negotin/Bregovo (YU/BG) and entered Bulgaria late in the morning.
Vidin/Calafat (BG/RO) ferry before the bridge was built. At night the ferries did not (fully) operate. Drank two bottles of Zagorka beer to kill time.
Spent the night at Battonya/Turnu (H/RO) because of limited opening hours then.

So 45 minutes is really peanuts.
45 minutes is a lot when it should be 0 minutes, and when it was 0 minutes for years...

Moreover is silly, as I'm sure that it must be just like it is with France and its ongoing schengen suspension: a lot of police at motorways and zero control at 90% of the rest of the roads and city streets that cross their borders with Belgium, Spain, Luxemburg, Italy and Germany.
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #14314
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Yes, I should have said that other border crossings did come under the control of the JNA.

That toll coupon is a mystery. The only thing I can think of - the autoput between Belgrade and Subotica used to be notorious in Yugoslav times for blatant scams. For example, toll takers would offer to accept half the toll in foreign currency without a receipt. It's possible that you could pre-purchase the toll, meaning that the country would get the cash and not corrupt toll collectors.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #14315
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Koper in both directions?
Right through an industrial zone, straight forward through Šempeter.
Old February 25th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #14316
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

I notice on this picture the old YU border speed info

piotr71, Moravian liked this post
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #14317
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post

But, fortunately, one can always rely on people holding a grudge
So, he has a life outside SCC, that's very interesting...

"Oh, and stop posting multiple post one under another one, use option of EDIT instead" .

Old February 25th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #14318
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
45 minutes is a lot when it should be 0 minutes, and when it was 0 minutes for years...

Moreover is silly, as I'm sure that it must be just like it is with France and its ongoing schengen suspension: a lot of police at motorways and zero control at 90% of the rest of the roads and city streets that cross their borders with Belgium, Spain, Luxemburg, Italy and Germany.
Well, in Warsaw "natural border" Wisła had created tremendous traffic jams - up to 4 hours to go from one neighborhood to another, for sure #1 most jammed city in the world back then - for months when main transit bridge burned thanks to wooden parts underneath that propagated fire .
Old February 26th, 2016, 02:46 AM   #14319
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

But nobody specifically said "burn the bridge" and did it
except maybe Germans
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #14320
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
I notice on this picture the old YU border speed info
That wasn't a standard sign though, it was this one (except with YU instead of SLO, and with different speed limits (this sign is now obsolete, so they should remove it instead of sticking new speed limits with different colors on it)).

Tags
highways, motorways