daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #14341
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

those Yankee maniacs even put those x-ray machines up there?!

Last edited by Kanadzie; March 14th, 2016 at 05:42 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #14342
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

A rather small border fence on the turkish side seems rather useless with the near vertical rock on the armenian side no? Aubviously there is no legal way to cross this border.

Attus, piotr71, CSerpent, SRC_100, pai nosso and 1 others liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM   #14343
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
A rather small border fence on the turkish side seems rather useless with the near vertical rock on the armenian side no? Aubviously there is no legal way to cross this border.

I take it there was a legal crossing at some point as that looks like the remnants of a bridge?

GROBIN liked this post
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM   #14344
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

That was most likely back in times when there was no border at all at this place
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM   #14345
rdgnrdgn

Likes (Received): 93

It's İpekyolu (Silkroad) Bridge, built on 10th century. Today it's part of Ani ruins.

CSerpent, pai nosso, Triple C, GROBIN liked this post
rdgnrdgn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:22 PM   #14346
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5443

Upgrades in Entikong Border Checkpoint between Indonesia and Malaysia

The design

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

CSerpent, Corvinus, SRC_100, pai nosso liked this post
Losbp está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #14347
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Border crossing between Italy and the Free Territory of Trieste in the early 1950s

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Attus, SRC_100, pai nosso, Moravian, gr_kanev and 3 others liked this post

Last edited by italystf; March 25th, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #14348
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Interesting pictures. I'm looking for the current location on Streetview but I cannot find the exact locations. Anyone?
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #14349
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Educated guess based on a map of the Free Territory of Trieste : https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7934...7i13312!8i6656

Map here : http://www.triestfreeport.org/wp-con...este_final.png

Second educated guess : https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7928...7i13312!8i6656 - I prefer this one to my first guess, but you can compare them.

edit : can't read Italian, but maybe this is something to do with the border? https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7944...7i13312!8i6656 - it mentions the 26th October 1954, which was when the last governor of Zone A of the Free Territory of Trieste left.

gr_kanev liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #14350
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

I took these pics 2 weeks ago when driving from Vilnius to Warsaw. However, this place looks like this since 2013.

Hołny Mejera - former PL/LT border crossing "Ogrodniki/Lazdijai". Just after crossing into Lithuania, you will see some place to visit indicated on the left side - which is also new (I didn't fotograph it because... I was surprised and had nowhere to stop). I will try to do that next time I drive to Poland, but you will need to be patient as I've just sold my car after having driven half of Europe in 5 years

Don't forget to switch your clocks when crossing this border! On the Lithuanian side, the road is wider, but the asphalt's quality is a bit worse. Notabene: that "NAUDOTOJO MOKESTIS/USER CHARGE" enormous roadsign is extremely scary at every entrance of LT. Lithuanians should replace the "FOR GOODS VEHICLES AND BUSES" text part with symbols representing a truck and a bus ........ It would be understandable much quicker by people speaking any language!

Driving out of the former border crossing (which is now a rest area):

Direction Augustów:

Direction Vilnius - the last directional sign on the Polish side. The next roadsign will be "Rzeczpospolita Polska - Granica Państwa" followed by "Lietuvos Respublika". Lithuania is visible at the end as we are only around 0,5km from it.

I'm pretty confident certain people that know the area noticed that directions towards "Dolna Grupa II" have disappeared and "Warszawa", "Sejny" and "Grudziądz" have appeared.
This trend is visible on all the 50-km DK16 stretch between Augustów and the PL/LT border. Directions towards "Ogrodniki (PL/LT)"have been replaced with "Vilnius (LT)".

However, on the Via Baltica (crossed last week), after seeing "VARŠUVA/WARSZAWA (PL)" everywhere on the LT side, entering the PL side is still very surprising despite all the changes made. You can still see the very important Szypliszki and Suwałki signed, but still no "Warszawa". "Kudowa-Słone (PL/CZ)" has been replaced with "Praha (CZ)" ....... as if there were not big cities like Warsaw, Łódź or Wrocław in the meantime

On the Lithuanian side, my main critic is that "VARŠUVA" appears only in Vilnius, but nowhere between Vilnius and Lazdijai. That is absurd given the fact that lots of tourists from Poland drive that way. They should at least sign "AUGUSTAVAS/AUGUSTÓW (PL)" for instance...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; March 26th, 2016 at 10:49 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #14351
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Does Poland charge the toll for private cars? How does it work for foreign cars?
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #14352
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82112

There's not a general toll for passenger cars but a lot of motorways are paid.
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #14353
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
Does Poland charge the toll for private cars? How does it work for foreign cars?
Car drivers must pay for around half of motorways. However, you can't be mistaken, as it is always signed as on the below image:

End of OT.

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Džiugas liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #14354
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5443

Border between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea

Skouw-Wutung

Both Indonesian and PNG side of border had their CIQ complex renovated

Indonesian Side

Twitter @KemenPU

PNG Side

Kompas

Sota Border

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

CSerpent, Corvinus, GROBIN, SRC_100, pai nosso and 1 others liked this post
Losbp está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #14355
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Educated guess based on a map of the Free Territory of Trieste : https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7934...7i13312!8i6656

Map here : http://www.triestfreeport.org/wp-con...este_final.png

Second educated guess : https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7928...7i13312!8i6656 - I prefer this one to my first guess, but you can compare them.

edit : can't read Italian, but maybe this is something to do with the border? https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7944...7i13312!8i6656 - it mentions the 26th October 1954, which was when the last governor of Zone A of the Free Territory of Trieste left.

The sign reads: On Oct 26th, 1954 after years of painful wait the walls between Trieste and the Motherland of Italy finally fell. On the 50th anniversary, a memory (signed by) Lega Nazionale - Trieste" (Lega Nazionale being an organization that fought for the italian identity mainly against Austria in that area)
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #14356
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

More about the Ogrodniki/Lazdijai former Polish/Lithuanian border crossing:

SRC_100, CSerpent, Džiugas, gr_kanev, los77 liked this post
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #14357
piotr71

[F][B] Crespin/Hensies, E19

Border control from Belgium to France, 27/03/2016.

Lane closure due to recently implemented border checks.

SRC_100, los77, gr_kanev, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by piotr71; March 30th, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:17 PM   #14358
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
More about the Ogrodniki/Lazdijai former Polish/Lithuanian border crossing:
There is a little misunderstanding: the title says "former border crossing". There's nothing former about it, it is a border crossing in present times as well.

There are no controls, but the borders remain. Some people from out of EU who have the right to settle in one country have had a rude awakening after crossing the border.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM   #14359
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
There is a little misunderstanding: the title says "former border crossing". There's nothing former about it, it is a border crossing in present times as well.

There are no controls, but the borders remain. Some people from out of EU who have the right to settle in one country have had a rude awakening after crossing the border.
You're right. It is not a former border crossing, but a former border checkpoint. Sorry!

Old April 1st, 2016, 10:40 PM   #14360
Džiugas
qwerty

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Direction Augustów:
Wow, the Lithuanian language inscription has at least 4 spelling mistakes (most of them are just wrong diacritics except for Electroninis)

Doesn't the Polish road administration use Unicode during designing of traffic signs? They should at least check the spelling on Google Translate.

Electroninis mokesciŭ ęṁimas = Elektroninis mokesčių ėmimas
Džiugas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways