daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #14401
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Interesting that it says "Juárez, México" on a sign in the US.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #14402
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Normal for destinations over the border to be signed that way. Same happens with Canadian destinations.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #14403
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I think Verso was pointing out the accent in Mexico. Which technically makes it the Spanish spelling rather than the English one. An issue which doesn't arise with Canada. (But, the other direction, I think you'll see "U.S.A." more often in Quebec than "Etats-Unis.")

As many times as I've driven up I-87, I can't remember whether Montreal, which starts appearing on distance/reassurance signs as soon as you leave New York City, is spelled with or without the accent....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #14404
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Yes, "México".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #14405
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And to be accurate, the "X" should be pronounced as an English H [meHico]
Same for Texas.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #14406
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-BNE View Post

This is something unusual...

I-19 is the only road in the USA with metric signage.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #14407
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I think yes if you consider the km-based exit numbers it had (has?) e.g. Exit 100 was 100 km away from the starting point instead of 100 miles. and metres to upcoming exit signs it had
but km distance signs are pretty common especially near Canada border
I know there are some on I-89...
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #14408
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

A couple of months ago I crossed here, between Lazdijai (LT) and Sankury/Sankūrai (yes! bilingual!) (PL) (on the Gaładuś/Galadusys lake). I took a couple of pics with my phone (I didn't have any good camera yet)

1.Towards Poland. The asphalt ends, but it was of very bad quality anyway - extremely bumpy - which was too much for the car I had at that time and its hard suspension. It was an enormous relief to enter the 2-km non asphalted Polish section.

2. Towards Lithuania. The stairs visible on the right will take you to the Galadusys/Gaładuś lake.

3 i 4. On the very border, getting to the Galadusys/Gaładuś lake. I think they used to be only for Lithuanian customs officers, as now it looks completely abandoned.

4.Towards Poland (with the last Lithuanian white and black roadside deflectors)

5 i 6. From the Polish side, you can see both countries on the Gaładuś/Galadusys lake

7. Just as extremes you can see in Poland with only exonyms indicated ("Vilnius (LT) instead of "Wilno/Vilnius (LT)" or "Praha (CZ) instead of "Praga/Praha (CZ), here you can see something more rare but also existing in Poland: endonyms only. Here: "Łoździeje" (instead of "Łoździeje/Lazdijai (LT)")... The 1st high-tension tower is in Poland, the 2 others are already in Lithuania (the famous Lit-Pol-link promoted by Lithuania's former energy minister Jarosław Niewierowicz?).

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

pai nosso, Corvinus, piotr71, Verso, Highway89 and 5 others liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #14409
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm curious of the above situation. I want to say the border monument is officially the line. Can one seize the land between on the river and have an independent republic absolute monarchy?

On the Canada/USA border for example these posts are actually one, with Canada written on one side and USA on the other, and is officially the border going through the middle of the stone...

GROBIN, piotr71 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #14410
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

I'm curious of the above situation. I want to say the border monument is officially the line. Can one seize the land between on the river and have an independent republic absolute monarchy?

On the Canada/USA border for example these posts are actually one, with Canada written on one side and USA on the other, and is officially the border going through the middle of the stone...
Who knows! Maybe between the Lithuanian and the Polish border monuments, there are remnants of the former Two-Nation Rzeczpospolita?

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

JanVL, Kanadzie, Kpc21 liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 02:46 AM   #14411
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Two snapshots of the crossing N-II road (E) -> D900/Le Perthus (F), some years back.
Queue is not caused by border controls (there were none), but by heavy tourist and shopping traffic in Le Perthus.

In Le Perthus, the actual borderline runs in the middle of D900 road for a while. The old booths visible in the photos come before, when all the road is on Spanish territory yet.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

GROBIN liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #14412
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Two snapshots of the crossing N-II road (E) -> D900/Le Perthus (F), some years back.
Queue is not caused by border controls (there were none), but by heavy tourist and shopping traffic in Le Perthus.
[...]
In Le Perthus, the actual borderline runs in the middle of D900 road for a while. The old booths visible in the photos come before, when all the road is on Spanish territory yet.[...]
I'm having a look at it on Google Street View and it looks really interesting. Extremely hard to say that which part is in France and which part is in Spain. I am wondering how was this town divided during pre-Schengen times....
EDIT: looks like the road is not on Spanish, but on French territory. Only the Eastern sidewalk of this road seems to be in Spain.

Last edited by GROBIN; April 15th, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #14413
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
I'm having a look at it on Google Street View and it looks really interesting. Extremely hard to say that which part is in France and which part is in Spain. I am wondering how was this town divided during pre-Schengen times....
EDIT: looks like the road is not on Spanish, but on French territory. Only the Eastern sidewalk of this road seems to be in Spain.
It didn't exist at all.

In Spain the N-II is one out of Top6 main roads and ends there. The tolled motorway AP-7 is just some km away.

Last 500m are (looking to north)

- Left pedestrian shoulder = France
- all the road, incluiding where you can park = France
- Right pedestrian shoulder = Spain.

Therefore, if you are in the right side of your car, after parking, just getting off would be crossing an international border.

Hint: Look at the detail that it is blue parking zone but parking metres are only in French side.

(there are other two parkings, each one in one country and they advice that tickets sold for one country aren't allowed for the other one. I guess each area would be managed by a company)

Old April 15th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #14414
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Wait, wait...what do you mean the road didn't exist at all?

I'm completely confused. Does it mean the road (and shops) were built after Schengen?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #14415
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

I'm completely confused. Does it mean the road (and shops) were built after Schengen?
I'm not sure what he means but I'm pretty sure the road has been there since 1939 at least, as it was used by a large number of refugees of the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. Probably the road dates back to the times of the Roman empire.

Besides, aerial imagery from 1945 already shows buildings on both sides of the border.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #14416
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
In pre-Schengen times this town had a special status, as it lies after the border crossing. Not 100% sure, but I think I saw earlier in this thread that villagers had special passports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
I'm not sure what he means but I'm pretty sure the road has been there since 1939 at least, as it was used by a large number of refugees of the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. Probably the road dates back to the times of the Roman empire.

Besides, aerial imagery from 1945 already shows buildings on both sides of the border.
Le Perthus pass has been the main route to cross the Pyrenees for centuries. The Roman road climbed much higher than the current one, and there are remains of it in the mountains. I'm not really sure when was current N-II built, but I guess it's several centuries old since the road to France went always through there.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #14417
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post

I am not sure where the Romans crossed the Pyrenees (I do know that over Somport pass surely but nothing about that exact area)

Anyway, after Spanish booths and before Schengen no buildings existed.
I would state that they are the only Spanish buildings after some custom booths (providing new international crosses hasn't booths at all)

I got this single map about roads in Spain (I put the link due to it is oversized)

https://fronterasblog.files.wordpres...14/06/340a.jpg

It is from 1940 when current road numbers was decided.
In red, top6 main roads departing from Madrid.

Els Limits is in the border besides the Mediterranean, the overtraffic road is indeed that corner in red.

The other ones, depending of the area, first digit, depending of distance to centre, second digit.

In addition, the same system says (in one corner), Balearic islands will start with 7 and Canary islands with 8.
It doesn't say at all but North African roads started on 9.

Nowadays all islands are considered local roads, even if motorways, and would have a numeration according to the island only.
Ceuta hasn't national roads and Melilla two small ones which, both of them start with a 3.

Old April 16th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #14418
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Interesting that it says "Juárez, México" on a sign in the US.
Like in German-speaking Basel there are signs to "France".

Attus liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #14419
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I got this single map about roads in Spain (I put the link due to it is oversized)

https://fronterasblog.files.wordpres...14/06/340a.jpg

It is from 1940 when current road numbers was decided.
In red, top6 main roads departing from Madrid.
Notice that N-II initially took a different route to that of Madrid-French border at La Jonquera road through Barcelona province: between Igualada and Martorell it went via current C-15 and B-224 (set to become C-54) while its predecessor were just local roads. And between Barcelona and Massanet it went on C-17 and C-35, with its precursor becoming C-251 instead. By the 70s this was corrected, and N-II was now entirely on the route the Madrid-French border at La Jonquera road took.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Ceuta hasn't national roads and Melilla two small ones which, both of them start with a 3.
Erm, it's the other way round. Ceuta has national roads (actually all between N-350 and N-362 exist, but only N-352, N-354 and N-362 are signed), while Melilla has none, only a bunch of ML-xxx roads (ML-102, ML-105, ML-300) which are still maintained by Fomento. Oh, and although it's unsigned, Melilla is also home to one of the weirdest designations ever: the N-NADOR!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #14420
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

The N-351 runs to Gibraltar, doesn't it?

But about Le Perthus :

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod
Anyway, after Spanish booths and before Schengen no buildings existed.
Are you sure? I've found this :

And this

Which seems to be here :

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4631...8i6656!6m1!1e1

It seems to me that the Spanish border control was roughly where it the current one is - http://lou.gabel.free.fr/images/LePerthus/LP31.jpg

What do you think?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways