daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #14481
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Was there an oval code next to Prishtina? What was in it?

CSerpent liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #14482
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

So, Pristina is now in Kyrgyzstan?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #14483
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

N-152/N20 crossing from Spain to France in the Pyrenees. I shot this video days after the terrorist attacks in Brussels, with France paranoid about its borders. Waiting times of 2 hours were reported in the border crossing of El Pertús/Le Perthus due to border checks, so I chose to go to Toulouse from Barcelona the hard way (through the Pyrenees) and ended up saving 1 hour or more. You can see how difficult it was for me to get through the border -in fact, it could have been even easier if I had taken the bypass of Bourg-Madame, but I wanted to drive French N20 from its very ending .

A full upgrade of E9 to motorway standards has been long promised by politicians of both countries, but I honestly think that it will never see the light. This corridor is a bit forgotten, with all traffic (road&rail) using the coastal route via Narbonne to avoid the mountains. In fact, a train ride from Barcelona to Latour-de-Carol will take you more than 3 hours in a bare commuter train, and then you have to take another one because there are no international services.

SRC_100, Verso, arctic_carlos, ukraroad liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #14484
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

http://www.*****.com/stock-photo/aut...popup=53941899

Four capitals, one sign. I do not own the image, and too bad there is no Street View either, but maybe this link will do.

Verso liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #14485
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
So, Pristina is now in Kyrgyzstan?
The correct country code for Kosovo is RKS (Republic of Kosovo).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #14486
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The correct country code for Kosovo is RKS (Republic of Kosovo).
According to Wikipedia, KS was used in 1999-2010 period. RKS appeared for the first time in 2010 when new Kosovo license plates were issued.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #14487
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
A full upgrade of E9 to motorway standards has been long promised by politicians of both countries, but I honestly think that it will never see the light.
However there is a big need for such an upgrade, because it is after the A7 and the A1 the third motorway in France with the most traffic. There are plans for an upgrade.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #14488
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
However there is a big need for such an upgrade, because it is after the A7 and the A1 the third motorway in France with the most traffic. There are plans for an upgrade.
I said E9 not A9 Traffic on most of E9 in France is not very high, but N20 in the Pyrenees (which is part of E9) carries more than 10.000 vehicles per day in old two-lane roadways.
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #14489
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
N-152/N20 crossing from Spain to France in the Pyrenees. I shot this video days after the terrorist attacks in Brussels, with France paranoid about its borders. Waiting times of 2 hours were reported in the border crossing of El Pertús/Le Perthus due to border checks, so I chose to go to Toulouse from Barcelona the hard way (through the Pyrenees) and ended up saving 1 hour or more. You can see how difficult it was for me to get through the border -in fact, it could have been even easier if I had taken the bypass of Bourg-Madame, but I wanted to drive French N20 from its very ending .

A full upgrade of E9 to motorway standards has been long promised by politicians of both countries, but I honestly think that it will never see the light. This corridor is a bit forgotten, with all traffic (road&rail) using the coastal route via Narbonne to avoid the mountains. In fact, a train ride from Barcelona to Latour-de-Carol will take you more than 3 hours in a bare commuter train, and then you have to take another one because there are no international services.
Funny thing: at 2:57 there's another border crossing. If you take the left exit you enter Spain and have a paved road straight to Puigcerda's hospital. There are many crossings around Puigcerda, but most are only known by locals.
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #14490
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yeah, and the Llivia enclave

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #14491
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3906

Quote:
I agree with you, upgrading the remaining parts of E9 to motorway standards would be terribly expensive.

As a matter of fact, in 2009 the Catalan regional government published a study to upgrade the 20 km section between Berga (current end of the C-16 motorway coming from Barcelona) and Bagà, with an estimated cost of 631M€ (32.5 M€/km). You can see that study, with lots of images, renders and maps in this link:

http://www.vilada.net/docs/activitat...-%206-3-09.pdf

That project was abandoned and now the idea is to upgrade only 6.5 km (between Berga and Cercs) to motorway standards, and to widen the remaining section between Cercs and Bagà (13.5 km) with a reversible middle lane, which would be open to northbound or southbound traffic depending on traffic levels. That section would also have a movable central reservation, something I've never seen before in Spain.

http://www.govern.cat/pres_gov/AppJa...ilometres.html

In any case, I don't think we'll ever see an upgrade between Bagà and the French border in Puigcerdà (29 km), as it would involve building the second tube of the 5 km long Cadí tunnel. Besides, building a motorway through the Cerdanya plateau would involve for sure a huge amount of nimbysm, as the Cerdanya area is known for its environmental value... and the big number of people from Barcelona having second houses there.

Finally, I'd like to add that between 2013 and 2015 the Puymorens tunnel was closed every summer season (between April and November) due to safety upgrades being carried out. Fortunately, I've read these works have ended and now the tunnel is open the whole year.

Bertolt Brecht

verreme, ukraroad liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #14492
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
According to Wikipedia, KS was used in 1999-2010 period. RKS appeared for the first time in 2010 when new Kosovo license plates were issued.
The official oval for Kosovo is YU

Kanadzie, Sentilj, riiga, Robertkc liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #14493
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

And KS stands for Kyrgyzstan (although they use KGZ instead IIRC).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:59 AM   #14495
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87659

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:13 AM   #14496
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

San Ysidro Port of Entry

Robi_damian liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:20 AM   #14497
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Playas de Tijuana, the most photogenic borderline corner of the world.

SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #14498
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18748

Just a short question.
What documents does a EU citizen need to cross Bosnia & Herzegovina's territory in Neum? Is an ID card enough?
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #14499
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Just a short question.
What documents does a EU citizen need to cross Bosnia & Herzegovina's territory in Neum? Is an ID card enough?
Nationals of EU countries, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Montenegro, Serbia and Switzerland can enter Bosnia and Herzegovina visa-free for up to 90 days with either a passport or a national identity card.

Kemo liked this post
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #14500
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Is an EU identity card good for Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia as well?

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways