daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #14501
bogdymol
bogdymod

I crossed Bosnia at Neum both ways using Romanian ID card only.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Kemo liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #14502
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Yes it is, actually also Kosovo says on his Ministry of Foreign Affairs' webite that EU citizens can enter with a valid "biometric" ID card.

Even more also in Moldova and Georgia EU citizens can enter with an ID card. For Georgia, only if you come from a Schengen country.

Corvinus liked this post
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #14503
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Is an EU identity card good for Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia as well?
Yes, no problem there.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #14504
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Just a short question.
What documents does a EU citizen need to cross Bosnia & Herzegovina's territory in Neum? Is an ID card enough?
It'll be a surprise if BiH even checks you on entry/exit.

Croatia checks everyone, but it's common for the BiH border police to simply not be there or to be drinking coffee with their colleagues instead of actually checking. The amount of people using the EU line when the "All Passports" line is empty is amazing there, though.

Last edited by Eulanthe; June 26th, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #14505
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Bosnia people really really want to be in EU
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #14506
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The amount of people using the EU line when the "All Passports" line is empty is amazing there, though.
That`s why i always use the second one b/n BiH and HR. Don`t have to wait in queue and don`t feel like moron or bonehead at least. But must know i used only northern borderds b/n HR and BiH.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #14507
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

Most of Euorpes borders crossing look like California fruit check areas lol

Mexico has interior check points a few miles inland from the US border Usually looking for wild Germans or American clowns lol

Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #14508
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

There where Id-control at Rödbyhavn. The customs officer did not ask for passports.
All cars were checked.

When driving from Denmark to Germany there were NO checks.

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #14509
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Earlier this month I made a trip to Norway. I've been checked at all three borders.

On A7-E45 at the German-Danish border, there was a Denmark-bound checkpoint by the military, police and customs. They obviously only checked foreign vehicles. They checked my passport as well, asked a few questions and I could go within a minute.

On E20 at the Danish-Swedish border, there is a Sweden-bound checkpoint immediately after the Øresund Bridge. This appears like a permanent checkpoint, they checked all lanes with limited staff, it appeared that there are more toll plaza lanes than staff to check it. They asked me where I was going. I did not have to show my passport.

On E18 at the Swedish-Norwegian bordere there was a regular border crossing. They wanted to see my passport and vehicle papers. They also wanted to know if I was carrying any alcohol. I said I had a sixpack of beer. They briefly checked in my car, but didn't turn it entirely inside-out.

On the way back there were no border checks at all. On E14 at the Norwegian-Swedish border there is a checkpoint for goods to declare, but I did not spot any staff. There were no active controls. I also crossed the border on two local roads a little farther north of there, but there were no border crossing facilities, just a sign entering Sweden and Norway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71, Robi_damian liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #14510
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Earlier this month I made a trip to Norway. I've been checked at all three borders.

On A7-E45 at the German-Danish border, there was a Denmark-bound checkpoint by the military, police and customs. They obviously only checked foreign vehicles. They checked my passport as well, asked a few questions and I could go within a minute.

On E20 at the Danish-Swedish border, there is a Sweden-bound checkpoint immediately after the Øresund Bridge. This appears like a permanent checkpoint, they checked all lanes with limited staff, it appeared that there are more toll plaza lanes than staff to check it. They asked me where I was going. I did not have to show my passport.

On E18 at the Swedish-Norwegian bordere there was a regular border crossing. They wanted to see my passport and vehicle papers. They also wanted to know if I was carrying any alcohol. I said I had a sixpack of beer. They briefly checked in my car, but didn't turn it entirely inside-out.

On the way back there were no border checks at all. On E14 at the Norwegian-Swedish border there is a checkpoint for goods to declare, but I did not spot any staff. There were no active controls. I also crossed the border on two local roads a little farther north of there, but there were no border crossing facilities, just a sign entering Sweden and Norway.
This is quite the same how things went at the pre-Schengen era, except that those persons who obviously were the citizens of the Nordic counties were not asked for passports. (The passport union.)
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #14511
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Since when do Czechs control their border with Austria? A Czech border officer asked us if we were migrants. He was joking, of course.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #14512
bogdymol
bogdymod

I entered Czech Republic from Austria (Linz) about a month ago. There were controls by the Czech Police on the direction to Czech Republic. I stopped, gave them the ID cards, they looked at them for 5 seconds, gave then back and that was it.

Recently Austria introduced border controls for the traffic entering from Hungary on M1/A4. I always check on Google Maps, and if I see there is a traffic jam at the border I used 2 options so far:
- two times when the queue was not that long I took the last exit in Hungary and crossed the border on the road parallel to the motorway border. There was a police officer there, but was too bored to do any checks. I didn't even have to stop
- another time I went through Slovakia. No police in sight in either Hungary, Slovakia or Austria if I took that small detour.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #14513
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

I was crossing the Slovak-Hungarian border something like 2 months ago by bus and there was no border control at all, even no sign of it. I think there is no "anti-Schengen" control on this border at all.

I was, however, checked on German-Polish border 2 weeks before that. But it wasn't an "anti-Schengen" control as well, it was a proper Schengen internal random control. The police stopped our bus a few km before the border, collected the passports and the ID's, checked them in their car, came back and returned the documents.

By the way, do Americans and Mexicans really not like each other so much that they have so advanced border controls, with even internal checkpoints, and a border between two democratic countries is one of the most guarded national borders in the world?

Last edited by Kpc21; June 30th, 2016 at 02:01 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #14514
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

yes definitely
It's nothing new, my father told me about that internal border in MX when he vacationed there in the 1970's. Back then, before free trade, they were very interested to make sure you wouldn't leave your car in Mexico, due to the barriers to trade... but it's important to note the "security situation" in Mexico is not at in any way a EU (even Bulgaria...) or US standard, so things are more... ****y.

As for the Nordic previous situation, I remember an (American) friend being waved at by the Danish border guards entering the country... "sve Dansk?" "ja ja" ok go in
Which is exactly as it should be, she was doing not anything nefarious or negative for DK...
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #14515
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I crossed on E14 in January with goods that I actually needed to declare. There was no staff on the roadside, so I parked my car and went inside the customs house. Even then they didn't bother coming out to actually see the vehicle, just took the documents, spent some time with their computer and then gave them back stamped.

It was maybe -20C outside, the house was nice and warm.
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #14516
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
yes definitely
It's nothing new, my father told me about that internal border in MX when he vacationed there in the 1970's. Back then, before free trade, they were very interested to make sure you wouldn't leave your car in Mexico, due to the barriers to trade... but it's important to note the "security situation" in Mexico is not at in any way a EU (even Bulgaria...) or US standard, so things are more... ****y.

As for the Nordic previous situation, I remember an (American) friend being waved at by the Danish border guards entering the country... "sve Dansk?" "ja ja" ok go in
Which is exactly as it should be, she was doing not anything nefarious or negative for DK...
Northern Mexico is one of the most dangerous area in Latin America, due to drug-traffiking-related guerrilla, so it's pretty normal to expect strict controls. Plus, there's a huge income divide between the two sides. I'd compare it with borders between Spain and Morocco, Turkey and Bulgaria, Poland and Ukraine, etc...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 02:43 AM   #14517
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't think there's any difference on the Turkish-Bulgarian border.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:26 AM   #14518
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't think there's any difference on the Turkish-Bulgarian border.
In which sense? Maybe there's not a huge income divide between Turkey and Bulgaria, but that's the border between the peaceful and democratic Europe and the conflict-ridden Middle East (together with GR-TR border, of course).
The amount of immigrants that try to enter EU from Turkey is probably comparable to the amount of immigrants that try to enter the USA from Mexico.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM   #14519
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Northern Mexico is one of the most dangerous area in Latin America, due to drug-traffiking-related guerrilla, so it's pretty normal to expect strict controls. Plus, there's a huge income divide between the two sides. I'd compare it with borders between Spain and Morocco, Turkey and Bulgaria, Poland and Ukraine, etc...
The BIG difference is you have Millions of Americans/Canadians flocking to live in Mexico you dont see that between any countries in Europe.
Sometimes, they are U.S. citizens. It's estimated that 1 million or so American citizens live in Mexico, many of them retirees who head south of the border to enjoy the warm weather, great food and lower cost of living.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ican-retirees/
In Many Americans eyes living in Mexico is a life style Up grade from living in the US
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/american...ng-conditions/

Mexico is more welcoming and dont fall for false hatred towards people like in the US.

While figures are hard to come by, some argue that U.S. citizens may make up the vast majority of illegal immigrants in Mexico.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ican-retirees/

Last edited by Xicano; July 1st, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:10 PM   #14520
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
One possible metric to estimate the differences in the standard of living is the ratio of the GDP per capita of the neighbors. Yes, I know that this metric is far from being perfect, but it gives some guidance.

Some ratios (based of the 2014 figures of World Bank):

US-Mexico: 5.3
Finland-Russia: 3.9
Spain-Morocco: 9.3
Turkey-Bulgaria: 1.3
Poland-Ukraine: 4.7
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways