daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #14581
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Yes..... I agree...
Let's say, the only non-Schengen border to arrive to another village.
Nope, there are several on the Slovenian/Croatian border

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...8!4d15.6878318 - the border here is completely open for cars to cross. There's an old Croatian police booth nearby, but this was abandoned once Croatia joined the EU. I drove up to the border crossing on both sides, got out, looked around, took photographs and no-one arrived to ask what I was doing. It's also perfectly possible to access the whole of Slovenia and Croatia from that point, too.

piotr71 liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #14582
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Portugal / Spain »» [See Location]

Vila Verde da Raia (PT) / Feces de Abaixo (ESP) -- June of 2016

1-Portuguese Old Customs

2-International Bridge

Source: pai nosso

Last edited by pai nosso; July 15th, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #14583
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Spain / Portugal »» [See Location]

Ponte Barxas (ESP) / São Gregório (PT) -- June of 2016

1-Spanish Old Customs

2-Spanish Old Customs

3-Portuguese Old Customs

4-

Source: pai nosso

piotr71, Verso, Luki_SL, SRC_100, Moravian and 1 others liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #14584
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by pai nosso View Post
Feces de Abaixo (ESP)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:37 PM   #14585
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Nope, there are several on the Slovenian/Croatian border

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...8!4d15.6878318 - the border here is completely open for cars to cross. There's an old Croatian police booth nearby, but this was abandoned once Croatia joined the EU. I drove up to the border crossing on both sides, got out, looked around, took photographs and no-one arrived to ask what I was doing. It's also perfectly possible to access the whole of Slovenia and Croatia from that point, too.
That's utterly crazy and clearly against the Schengen agreement!
And they wonder because Austria (and other countries) want to build walls...
Considering how poor is the HR-BiH border controlled in some parts, it means that one can travel from BiH to Slovenia (and thus the whole Schengen area) without showing a document.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 12:31 AM   #14586
Verso
Islander

That would be a drop in the ocean compared to who's coming from Africa. I'm sure they have detectors and that there isn't much going on there. Once I approached the border on a local road and the police were immediately after me.

Robi_damian liked this post
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #14587
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That would be a drop in the ocean compared to who's coming from Africa. I'm sure they have detectors and that there isn't much going on there. Once I approached the border on a local road and the police were immediately after me.
Tell me your secret!

I tried many things to get their attention, and it was only one fat guy in Bregana that told me to get lost. Everywhere else, nothing, even before Croatia joined the EU.

Apparently Croatia has a lot of equipment monitoring the BiH border, but that might just be them saying that so people don't try and cross illegally. The only place I've seen border police on the HR/BiH border was at Zeljava, but they told me that it was a common place for illegal entries into Croatia as it was easy to hide there - and that they had a lot of problems with tourists crossing the border for fun there.

Quote:
That's utterly crazy and clearly against the Schengen agreement!
Want more?

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1644...7i13312!8i6656

Completely wide open. No controls, no guards, nothing. (off topic, but I have no idea if that water park is abandoned or not. It's terrifying)

I've posted pictures before, but there's a street in Metković (HR) where the border with BiH is wide open and you can just drive in/out of Croatia freely. There's even a rather interesting petrol station located just on BiH territory that can only be accessed from Croatia, and prices are in BAM rather than HRK.

There's a good article here about it - http://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/dalm...zatvara-u-geto - Croatia apparently intended to block off the whole street, but nothing has changed yet as far as I know.

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by Eulanthe; July 16th, 2016 at 02:03 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #14588
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Tell me your secret!
Nothing, I was just trying to find an appropriate place to turn around.
Old July 16th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #14589
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

Canada lift Visas from Mexican Visitors

Its a great deal for Canada since 2 million Canadians go to Mexico each year and only around 5000 Mexicans go to Canada a year.

I heard Canada will put special border agents at Mexico's airports to stop Americans Europens etc... from trying to sneak into Canada as Mexican Citizens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIL0zvbuE
Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #14590
italystf

That would probably lead to an increase of control on the US-Canadian border. Currently the US-Canadian border is poorly controlled especially in rural areas, with several paths in the forest that one can use to sneak illegally to the other side. Probably many Mexicans will try to fly to Canada and then cross illegally the US border.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #14591
Yörch

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicano View Post
Its a great deal for Canada since 2 million Canadians go to Mexico each year and only around 5000 Mexicans go to Canada a year.

I heard Canada will put special border agents at Mexico's airports to stop Americans Europens etc... from trying to sneak into Canada as Mexican Citizens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIL0zvbuE
Totally wrong information.

Mexican tourists into Canada are around 250,000 a year. (last year, visa required). It dropped by 50% since the visa imposing in 2009.

http://en.destinationcanada.com/rese...sitor-arrivals
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #14592
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That would probably lead to an increase of control on the US-Canadian border. Currently the US-Canadian border is poorly controlled especially in rural areas, with several paths in the forest that one can use to sneak illegally to the other side. Probably many Mexicans will try to fly to Canada and then cross illegally the US border.
That makes no sense Immigration from Mexico is at net 0% why would they go to Canada to go into the US?? lol Canada turns back Americans every day tats the major problem for Canada not Mexico thats why Mexicans have no more Visa requirments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yörch View Post
Totally wrong information.

Mexican tourists into Canada are around 250,000 a year. (last year, visa required). It dropped by 50% since the visa imposing in 2009.

http://en.destinationcanada.com/rese...sitor-arrivals
Year to date Mexico 16,555 8.1 thats an increas of 8% from last year

Thats a big differrence from 250000 lol
Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:06 AM   #14593
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Estcourt Station ME

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...-canada-border

Interesting article about this community split between Canada and the USA in the far northern part of Maine.

Verso liked this post
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #14594
Verso
Islander

Same thing on the Slovenian-Croatian border. Since people wanted to live in Slovenia and the border isn't clearly defined yet, we just annexed it.

RipleyLV, piotr71 liked this post
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #14595
Gyorgy

Likes (Received): 363

GM is kind of on Croatian side, while GE is totaly for Slovenia

piotr71, Verso, Zagor666, Robi_damian liked this post
Gyorgy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #14596
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Same thing on the Slovenian-Croatian border. Since people wanted to live in Slovenia and the border isn't clearly defined yet, we just annexed it.
https://goo.gl/maps/C9MGiLmYNQ82

Is this some sort of border cairn or something totally unconnected.
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #14597
Verso
Islander

I was thinking the same thing a while ago, but it's unconnected. If you follow the road, there are several such monuments along it. Each one has a big letter on the ground and together they form text "POT V ŽIVLJENJE", meaning "path into life", apparently something Christian since there're crosses everywhere.
Old July 18th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #14598
italystf

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing a while ago, but it's unconnected. If you follow the road, there are several such monuments along it. Each one has a big letter on the ground and together they form text "POT V ŽIVLJENJE", meaning "path into life", apparently something Christian since there're crosses everywhere.
Maybe this Christian thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stations_of_the_Cross
Old July 18th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #14599
Verso
Islander

^ Yes, it is actually. It's about a local priest who was killed in WWII, comparing him to Jesus.

https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&rct=j...we6ZDMv330P_uw
Old July 18th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #14600
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

Sorry, no pics from me, just Streetview...

https://goo.gl/maps/27rpPmoHqtw

Probably an alternative, but only for the braves, when Macelj-Gruškovje is overcrowded...

Took that crossing lately, what was interesting, on croatian side the b/c was empty, no one there. Only two guards on the slovenian side, no croats anywhere.

----------------------------------------------------

been in: al, at, ba, bg, ch, (cs), cz, (dd), de, dk, fr, gr, hr, hu, ie, it, li, lu, me, mk, mt, nl, pl, rs.ba, rs, ru, se, sk, us, (yu)
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways