daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:06 PM   #14661
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
In 1996, a Dutch TV programme was made about the former High way of brotherhood and unity in former Yugoslavia (I don't think it can be seen from other countries, but you could always try: here )
Pictures taken by me from the E70 in September 2001

1. This building looks similar to the one in 22:07, but I'm not sure if it is the same. The roof seems different.

2. Dutch armoured SFOR vehicles probably on transport to the Netherlands.

3. Entering Zagreb (location). These signs with the gantry do not exist any more, but the gantry in the opposite direction announcing the toll plaza does still exist.

4. Rest area near Zagreb (location).

Verso, Moravian, Alex_ZR, Zagor666, CSerpent and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by Tachi; August 2nd, 2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Did not know that. Apparantly SSC does not accept uploads from Tinypic.
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:24 AM   #14662
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post

3. Entering Zagreb (location). These signs with the gantry do not exist any more, but the gantry in the opposite direction announcing the toll plaza does still exist.
actually, that place is completely different now, even Stret View image is outdated. there are lateral motorways built, so actually exit to Zagreb east adn Varaždin/Budapest is some 3 km before that place (you must exit to lateral). here is a photo from reconstruction period 2 years ago.

Tachi liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:46 AM   #14663
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
These signs are definitively from Yugoslavia era, as there are no SLO ovals next to Ljubljana and Maribor.

Also in Italy motorways had yellow edge lines until 1993.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:08 AM   #14664
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Wondering about this: Do policemen and/or custom officers always speak the language from 'the other side' of the border? It would be much easier to do so for travellers, but somehow I can imagine that not all officers speak the 'other' language. I wonder how travellers communicate with officers.

In Spain I would state that more than 90% do not speak other country language. (or more)

I know an officer who was in passport control but in a little airport with mainly holiday low-cost flights. He said he just checked passports and never had problems there. It wasn't the typical airport to have problems in customs. He speaks a poor English and said...enough to ask passport, stamp (if required, not mandatory) and say good by.

In other main airports there are officers who speak several languages, but only in main one and not for passport control but for special checks or issues.

In other customs

- Morocco. 100% sure, no one will speak Arabic. Maybe some words of French but surely nothing of Arabic
- United Kingdom (Gibraltar), do not know.... Let's suposse they have some English knowledge but let's remember it is the narrowest border with booths in the world.
- Andorra. A custom officer can have so many destinations that, providing he doesn't come from Catalonia, he will strongly sure not speak Catalan.
Catalonia has his own police and Spanish police is for customs and main issues for security only. Few officers there.
In addition, everytime I have gone to Andorra and have asked to a policeman anything, answer in Spanish and if they have to say anything, if car plate is Spanish or French they will use those languages at first, not their language (there are 70.000ish inhabitants where only 10.000 or so have own Andorran nationality).

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:24 AM   #14665
bogdymol
bogdymod

At various Romania-Hungary border crossings, almost always I am asked by the Hungarian officer the passport or some other basic questions (car registration, insurance, where I am going or comming from etc) in Romanian... sometime good other times more broken Romanian.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:56 PM   #14666
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
These signs are definitively from Yugoslavia era, as there are no SLO ovals next to Ljubljana and Maribor.

Also in Italy motorways had yellow edge lines until 1993.
signs are Yugoslav, but the photo is definitely from early 1990es era regarding the tematics.

(HR changed yellow lines to white in 2000 - if you have some photos of Italian yellow lines, please post them in Historical photos thread)
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:18 PM   #14667
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
signs are Yugoslav, but the photo is definitely from early 1990es era regarding the tematics.

(HR changed yellow lines to white in 2000 - if you have some photos of Italian yellow lines, please post them in Historical photos thread)
He said that photos are from 2001. Also Dutch plates with Euroband were introduced around 2000, I think.
Old Italian yellow lines
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM   #14668
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
He said that photos are from 2001. Also Dutch plates with Euroband were introduced around 2000, I think.
Old Italian yellow lines
huh, now i see it. well, 2000-2002 was the period of transforming yellow to white lines and signs. and it was the time when we have introducet A- and D- numbering system. possible that old Yugoslav signs survived, although we had croatian signs in 1990es period betweem YU era and new (nowadays) era. maybe those remained all the time.
however, the car on the left seems to be Fiat Marea, so it could really be 2001.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:54 PM   #14669
italystf

Sometimes obsolete road signs can last for years, or even decades.
There are still road signs (if they haven't removed them recently) pointing to A2 Roma-Napoli, that was included in A1 itinerary in 1988.
A15 Parma-La Spezia is part of E33, but is still signposted as E31, the number used until 1985.
SS202 around Trieste was classificated as a motorway until 1997, but motorway beginning/end signs were in place until around 2014-15.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:03 PM   #14670
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Wondering about this: Do policemen and/or custom officers always speak the language from 'the other side' of the border? It would be much easier to do so for travellers, but somehow I can imagine that not all officers speak the 'other' language. I wonder how travellers communicate with officers.

At the borders within former Yugoslavia it won't be a big problem, but do all Serbian officers at the Romanian border speak Romanian, and all Romanian officers speak Serbian? And what about Hungary-Ukraine? Or, let's say, Russia-China?
I have often crossed the H-RO border at Nadlac and officers from both sides had no trouble speaking to me in English. Same on the RO-BG borders.

Leaving the country from Sofia airport the immigration would always use English before Bulgarian with me. Same when using Otopeni airport in Bucharest, English before Romanian. The airports certainly do have a fair few English speakers.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:36 PM   #14671
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
however, the car on the left seems to be Fiat Marea, so it could really be 2001.
I can assure you. All photos were taken mid September 2001 few days after 9/11.
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #14672
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

I was crossing many borders last week, pleasant surprice that there are no border checks in Bavaria, crossed several times from Austria. (Even this week of attacks) Also no check from D to DK, just waved me trough. No check from DK to S - not even any officer present in the booth. Schengen is alive it seems

Also waved trough A to FL, no checks Ch to I, no check S to N.

nenea_hartia, italystf liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #14673
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

No checks on motorways between Austria and Germany? That´s cool. Lately when driving from Italy I exit at Kufstein and go to Germany on normal road where there was never any check and after the border I went back on the motorway.
Old August 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #14674
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
I can assure you. All photos were taken mid September 2001 few days after 9/11.
i believe you, no reasons not to believe. it is just intresting how those old signs survived there so long (it was the period when A3 was completely refurbished, so the signs were changed consequently)
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #14675
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
No checks on motorways between Austria and Germany?
I crossed on Tuesday and also today the border between Austria and Germany on the motorway nearby Passau. There were no controls, but the traffic was disrupted due to the presence of the control booths and 30 km/h speed limit. On Tuesday it wasn't that bad, but today there was quite a long queue because of this... even though no police officers were present.
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #14676
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I crossed on Tuesday and also today the border between Austria and Germany on the motorway nearby Passau. There were no controls, but the traffic was disrupted due to the presence of the control booths and 30 km/h speed limit. On Tuesday it wasn't that bad, but today there was quite a long queue because of this... even though no police officers were present.
Are those control booths fixed or mobile?
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #14677
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

mobile booths.
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #14678
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

As I understand, these booths are not at the border, but located somewhat in Germany. Apparently Austria didn't want a queue extending back into Austria. We'll see if that works once the return trip goes in full swing. There were already significant delays reported at Salzburg last weekend.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #14679
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
As I understand, these booths are not at the border, but located somewhat in Germany.
Yes. I did not measure the distance, but I guess it may be 6-8 km inside Germany. Right after the border there is an 80 km/h limit, then 60, 50, and right before the booths 30. And no one is there.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #14680
bogdymol
bogdymod

I cross the border between Austria and Germany at Passau regularly, about once per month. Last summer there were stricter checks performed on just one lane, which lead to serious delays. Now it is a little bit more relaxed, done on 2 lanes and only temporary. The checks are actually located just before this parking area, which is a few km inside Germany (the actual control doesn't take place on the motorway itself, but instead there is 1-2 police officers on the motorway who, if they see a suspicious vehicle (usually vans from my observations), will direct that driver inside the parking lot, where I have noticed that always were minimum 5 police vehicles, with a lot of officers who can make the checks.

As the checks are performed after the first motorway exit in Germany (Pocking), at the beginning there was a police car also at that exit, for randomly checking the vehicles that exit there. Recently I have noticed that nobody stays there anymore, so one could leave the motorway at that exit, already inside Germany territory, and without having to pass through the checkpoint.

Some pictures that I took on Tuesday while driving from Austria to Germany:

This is just after crossing the border (you can see 100 m away the sign with standard speed limits in Germany). What amuses me is the "cash" thing on the sign warning about speed limit control (you drive too fast -> you have to give cash). (I have seen this sign since a couple of months ago here, and every time I looked after speed cameras, but I never saw one)

The few km from the actual border until the check point are limited, from 80 km/h to 60 km/h and so on. Driving a few km on the motorway at this speed is really boring...

This is the check point. They installed temporary booths, but on Tuesday nobody was there:

MichiH, SRC_100 liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways