daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #14681
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Leaving obstacles on the road to block or slow down traffic in corrispondence of internal Schengen borders should be forbidden by Schengen treaty itself, while stopping occasional vehicles is fine (because police can stop vehicles on any road).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #14682
bogdymol
bogdymod

On the Austrian side of the border is a permanent 60 km/h speed limit on both ways, even before the immigrants crysis, although nothing is preventing the traffic to drive faster. It's an artificial speed limit.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #14683
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Leaving obstacles on the road to block or slow down traffic in corrispondence of internal Schengen borders should be forbidden by Schengen treaty itself, while stopping occasional vehicles is fine (because police can stop vehicles on any road).
Actually no one is interested in the Schengen treaty. But we shall not discuss about politics here :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #14684
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
On the Austrian side of the border is a permanent 60 km/h speed limit on both ways, even before the immigrants crysis, although nothing is preventing the traffic to drive faster. It's an artificial speed limit.
As far as I can remember that 60 limit has been there for ten years or even more.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #14685
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
As far as I can remember that 60 limit has been there for ten years or even more.
I think this is because it's dangerous to stop a vehicle driving at 130 in the middle of a motorway, so they posted a lower speed limit to facilitate occasional controls, that were practiced even before the migrant crisis.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #14686
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
I was crossing many borders last week, pleasant surprice that there are no border checks in Bavaria, crossed several times from Austria. (Even this week of attacks) Also no check from D to DK, just waved me trough. No check from DK to S - not even any officer present in the booth. Schengen is alive it seems

Also waved trough A to FL, no checks Ch to I, no check S to N.
Just came back some days ago from my vacation and drove the route Kosovo - Macedonia - Serbia - Hungary - Slovakia - Czech Republic - Germany - Denmark - Sweden.

There was no checkpoints on the route Hungary - Slovakia - Czech Republic - Germany.
Even though there were some police officers at the exit of Czech Republic stopping foreign cars, but I think that was because of lack of vignettes.
Also there were the usual german police before the tunnel when you enter Germany. But that also used to be before the immigrant flood.

Before turning towards Slovakia in Hungary there were information on the motorway electronic table that there was a cue at the border with Austria.

When I drove out of the ferry entering Denmark there were first a military officer standing next to a road bump connected to something.
After that you would have a police officer that could stop you for identification.

I did not see any car being pulled over but when It was my turn to pass the police officer took first a fast look into the car and then another one before telling me to pull over. Probably thought he had hit a jackpot or something since I do not look like a nordic person ( I am albanian). But a fast look at the passport and I could continue, he did not even look at the luggage or anything :/.
The other weird thing was private security staff asking for identification after you pass the pay tolls at the ferry when leaving Denmark.

In Sweden there were armed police officers but they used to be there before aswell. Only difference that they used to watch out for smugglers and now they also check for immigrants, but they did not stop anyone.

Had expected more controls though across Europe.

Before entering the EU in the Serbian - Hungary border the serbian police officers just let everyone pass through while the neutral zone had a cue back to the serbian part from Hungary. The hungarians only had 2 booths open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Wondering about this: Do policemen and/or custom officers always speak the language from 'the other side' of the border? It would be much easier to do so for travellers, but somehow I can imagine that not all officers speak the 'other' language. I wonder how travellers communicate with officers.

At the borders within former Yugoslavia it won't be a big problem, but do all Serbian officers at the Romanian border speak Romanian, and all Romanian officers speak Serbian? And what about Hungary-Ukraine? Or, let's say, Russia-China?

I have yet to meet a serbian police officers that speaks english in their southern borders. There are probably those that speak and understand it but for some reason they keep talking in serbian. Unlogical and not effective at all.
While they always seem to speak in English in their northern borders. Also a lot more nice and pleasant people.

When you enter Hungary from Serbia they also seem to use more serbian than english.
I can understand it if it is a small border crossing or if there is not much tranzit traffic. But when it is mainly tranzit traffic they really should use english if there is any need to communicate.

Overall a good trip and it will probably be wise to skip Czech Republic if possible until most of the road contructions is over. After that you will have really nice motorway.

Robi_damian liked this post
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #14687
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

At Horgos mainly the younger generation officers speak quite well English. Once I was pulled over for baggage control. They found three guys suspicious I had quite a chit chat with the officer. He asked if we had drugs and I answered no, because I did not want to spend my holiday in a Serbian prison and if I wanted some I would go to a student in Novi Sad or Belgrade. He laughed and nodded like that would be a better idea. But asked also other standard questions what the purpose of the visit was etc. etc. in good English.
Hungarian officers are quite multilingual some better than others. But I find their selection method (especially at Röszke) for control quite racist. A young couple with a big camper is waived through but almost all Turkish and Roma looking people/families in normal cars are checked more thoroughly or even pulled over to the right for further checks.
Bulgarian officers don't speak much. No full sentences, only words and mostly a mix of Bulgarian/German/Turkish. Almost no English. But I think that all depends on the officer.
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #14688
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

A recent short clip of border crossing Horgos -> Röszke, recorded on Jul 17, 2016.
The description mentions a waiting time of 1.5 hrs (for regular traffic) at the border. Hungarian police are inspecting inbound vehicles.

Also, an Afghan illegal is interviewed, indicating he wants to proceed to Hungary for ultimately getting to Germany. I guess it's racist not to let him pass.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

LMB liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #14689
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Did I hit a nerve? You miss my point by noting that denying access is racist.

How do you know he's an illegal? That is pretty biassed of you.
It's very likely he does not have the proper documents to enter Hungary, so entry to Hungary may be denied by Hungarian officials. If he indicates he wants to apply for asylum and the officials in Hungary deny access, then it would be violation of basic human rights and international law. Unfortunately, Hungary does not excel in keeping basic human rights and international law with the introduction of their latest laws by the current government led by Orban.

verreme liked this post
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #14690
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
How do you know he's an illegal?
Serbia (just like the EU) requires visa for Afghan citizens, so he's most likely there illegally (unless Serbia just let him enter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
If he indicates he wants to apply for asylum and the officials in Hungary deny access, then it would be violation of basic human rights and international law.
He clearly wants to go to Germany, not Hungary.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #14691
rajko.

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Also, an Afghan illegal is interviewed, indicating he wants to proceed to Hungary for ultimately getting to Germany. I guess it's racist not to let him pass.
So why do they flee from Afghanistan? They do not know that their country was "liberated by the US", "freedom and democracy' came...
And now do they flee more from the freedom or from the democracy?
rajko. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #14692
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajko. View Post
So why do they flee from Afghanistan? They do not know that their country was "liberated by the US", "freedom and democracy' came...
And now do they flee more from the freedom or from the democracy?
I think more economic than politico, I doubt either way there are any good jobs for them anyway... here or there
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #14693
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
I think more economic than politico, I doubt either way there are any good jobs for them anyway... here or there
Many parts of Afghanistan are still being devastated by war and terrorism, so for Afghani it's not difficult to get asylum in many countries.
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #14694
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Serbia (just like the EU) requires visa for Afghan citizens, so he's most likely there illegally (unless Serbia just let him enter).

He clearly wants to go to Germany, not Hungary.
Not to mention that, to reach Serbia from the Middle East, he had to go through another EU country (either Greece or Bulgaria) first.
Old August 8th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #14695
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9985

Quote:
Many parts of Afghanistan are still being devastated by war and terrorism, so for Afghani it's not difficult to get asylum in many countries.
Actually, many countries seem to give fairly few Afghans asylum, bringing down the EU average to roughly 50%.
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #14696
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Not to mention that, to reach Serbia from the Middle East, he had to go through another EU country (either Greece or Bulgaria) first.
Unless he took the private jet directly to Serbia?
Old August 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #14697
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Unless he took the private jet directly to Serbia?
Or by boat from Turkey to Albania and then overland.
Old August 11th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #14698
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
It could be racist if not letting him pass were based on his race. If it is based on something else (for instance, his lack of passport and/or visa), it is not racist.

Last edited by OulaL; August 16th, 2016 at 05:00 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #14699
italystf

Zagor666, CSerpent liked this post
Old August 15th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #14700
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Bielsa-Aragnouet tunnel (E-F) will have its 40th birthday

http://www.aragonhoy.net/index.php/m...249#15-08-2016

It is here
https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Aragn...4!2d42.6683404

Nearest border crossing are via Formigal or Viella. It is 3 km long and toll free but there is not any option via any mountain pass or so.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways