daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #14721
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't get it. Is this a pokemon?
Yes. It's related to Pokemon Go game.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2016, 06:12 PM   #14722
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Yesterday's border crossing snapshot: Battonya (H) -> Turnu/Tornya (RO), looking back towards Battonya.

Got out after the crossing just to discover that the Rovinieta cannot be purchased anymore at the border. One has to proceed to the first petrol station to get it.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Alex_ZR liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:31 PM   #14723
bogdymol
bogdymod

You can buy that online, no need to stop somewhere to purchase it.

Anyway, great choice to use that crossing instead the Nadlac border which is always crowded. Turnu border crossing was almost free everytime when I crossed it.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:12 PM   #14724
piotr71

Huge traffic disruption at Thursday on the entry to Calais ferry port, caused by refuges trying to break in to the lorries. Expressway heading car ferry terminal was blocked for couple of hours that afternoon. Luckily, not many had chosen "old road" through town centre, which was completely clear. When I got to the terminal, it was deserted, as never before. Even custom officers, aware of the problems, were surprised how I arrived on time.

A16 motorway, just before spur connecting with the terminal.

Refuges failed to break in the lorry on hard shoulder. Driver (lady) making checks inside the trailer.

Small goup of people walking alongside motorway.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LpmXe7]

Some of them jumped on central reservation.

Moravian, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by piotr71; September 3rd, 2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: [F] Calais
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:17 PM   #14725
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Austria has de facto exited the Schengen Area.
Looks like it. I crossed at the Ljubelj Pass into Slovenia, and they were checking almost every single car, including those with A plates. They were also working on renovation work inside the old border offices, and they had rigged up power to the... I don't know how to call it, the booths? It looks like these controls are here to stay for the time being.

My car appeared to be overheating, so I had to stop at the Austrian border to examine the problem. Wasn't any problem at all, just my car didn't particularly like the brutal climb up there. There was the nice side benefit of watching what was going on.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:29 PM   #14726
piotr71

I have experienced quite detailed checks and seen armoured military vehicle on the SLO/A border in Mureck, couple of weeks ago.
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #14727
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Wouldn't these controls have an effect on the economy?
(both because they cost money and because of the traffic they impair)
How long can they defend keeping the booths running if the migrant crisis is trickeling down?
Doesn't these measurements cost the tax payer of Austria lots of money?

These controls would have been great to have last year, when the situation was completely out of control. Now, it seems to be a great hassle that people will start asking questions about.

Kanadzie, rheintram liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #14728
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
How long can they defend keeping the booths running if the migrant crisis is trickeling down?

These controls would have been great to have last year, when the situation was completely out of control. Now, it seems to be a great hassle that people will start asking questions about.
Whether Austria will leave Schengen Area or not will probably be known after next elections...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 6th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #14729
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Which migrants? The Balkan migrant route has been closed for months.
Nevertheless, more than 2,000 migrants (illegally) crossed the Austrian-German border in August 2016. Source.

Generally, 4,200 migrants illegally came to Germany in August 2016. Source.

These are official figures, in reality, the number is higher.

It's reported that more and more immigrants travel from Italy to Germany via Switzerland because of the controls at the Italian/Austrian and Austrian/German borders. That means, the controls "work"...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #14730
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
From what I can see, the controls are rather similar to what the original idea of Schengen was, with the booths manned but only certain cars stopped and questioned, and only some of them having to produce ID.

If Schengen does fall, it's not a bad idea for border controls within the EU. Traffic was moving pretty quickly, and they weren't wasting time on pointless controls.

Incidentally, I crossed the border at Metlika/Jurovski Brod (SLO/HR) - they couldn't have been less interested. Took about 10 seconds to pass both Slovenian exit controls and Croatian entry controls. Interestingly, the old Croatian controls have been completely bypassed and traffic uses what appears to have been the old road before the new controls were built at Jurovski Brod.

devo liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #14731
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Nevertheless, more than 2,000 migrants (illegally) crossed the Austrian-German border in August 2016. Source.

Generally, 4,200 migrants illegally came to Germany in August 2016. Source.

These are official figures, in reality, the number is higher.
There were more than that in September and October 2015 - DAILY. The current figures are approximately 98% less than those of Sep-Oct last year.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #14732
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

And now we have The Calais Wall.

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-buil...alais-10568369
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #14733
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The UK will build a wall in France? I guess France is totally incapable of doing anything about illegals attacking trucks.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #14734
italystf

Quote:
The UK will build a wall in France? I guess France is totally incapable of doing anything about illegals attacking trucks.
I think there'a a lot to say about French security forces. How the hell can police let a big truck through a pedestrian area during a civil festivity without even asking for transport documents and/or inspecting the cargo?
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #14735
Eulanthe

Quote:
It's just such nonsense. The French are completely incapable of dealing with it - and now we have the situation that they're simply moving the problem further down the Rocade towards the A16.

I'm absolutely not conservative in political thinking, yet I see the constant attacks on trucks and I wonder when it's going to end in some truck driver killing many of them.
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #14736
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Portugal (Vila Nova de Cerveira ) /Spain (Tomiño) – September of 2016

Source: pai nosso

CSerpent, SRC_100 liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #14737
Eulanthe

A new border fence between Slovenia and Croatia.

http://www.thetowner.com/bregana/

If you look at the article, you'll find that the border crossing in Bregana next to the infamous border restaurant now has some sort of fence with a door in it. Why on earth? There was a police box on the Croatian side that was manned up until Croatia joined the EU - who built this fence, and for what purpose?
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #14738
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

September 2016: shot these pics of the German border control installation of the Salzburg -> A8 motorway crossing.

On the left lane, there were no control-related jams forming, but those started little later due to general traffic overload on A8.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:25 AM   #14739
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
A new border fence between Slovenia and Croatia.

http://www.thetowner.com/bregana/

If you look at the article, you'll find that the border crossing in Bregana next to the infamous border restaurant now has some sort of fence with a door in it. Why on earth? There was a police box on the Croatian side that was manned up until Croatia joined the EU - who built this fence, and for what purpose?
It was built by Slovenia to stop migrants from the Middle East.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #14740
Eulanthe

Quote:
It was built by Slovenia to stop migrants from the Middle East.
Absolutely crazy that Bregana was so open, even after Slovenia joined the EU and Croatia didn't - and now Croatia is in the EU and Bregana becomes a fortress.

Is this fence just around Bregana, or is it elsewhere?

Tags
highways, motorways