daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #14841
piotr71

[F][GB] Dunkirk/Dover. Refurbished terminal.

Dunkirk, November 2016. On the entrance to the ferry terminal I passed 4 checks including 2 made by armed forces. I have never experienced it before.

Soldiers can be seen in the side mirror.

Scanning.

Terminal got new shape with more lanes and different numbering - previousley letters were used, now digits.

New fencing.

Dover. No checks here.

Weirdly, the weather is better on this side.

bogdymol, GROBIN, Moravian, Attus, SRC_100 and 5 others liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #14842
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

In April, when I came to France from Vilnius for 2 weeks, I also took the Dunkirk-Dover ferry. All my French friends were telling me to avoid Calais due to those immigrant camp issues. It was a good choice. Only 30min.more on the ferry, similar price, no such issues as in Calais, and very close to Belgium, through which I came back to Paris after a few days spent in England in order to avoid as much as possible French radars

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #14843
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yesterday there was 12-hour queue between Croatia and Serbia!
Only on Bajakovo-Batrovci crossing, which is on the motorway. People are stupid, for the time they lost in a queue, they could cross the border via smaller crossings.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #14844
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Indeed. Plenty of crossing points in Llok. The bad thing about Bajakovo is that its a highway crossing point so once you are trapped, there is no way out. You have to think twice at the last exit to Lipovac! Sid was allegedly also overcrowded. The massive queues are also because of the Kosovo albanians entering Serbia. Not only is it difficult with RKS documents, but also with a German, Swiss and Austrian passport to go through hassle free.

There was a person that died two days ago while waiting at Horgos/Röszke border. Its not something that would cost the world but the Serbian authorities could invest in some electronic tables with online queueing times to better distribute the traffic.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #14845
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
The bad thing about Bajakovo is that its a highway crossing point so once you are trapped, there is no way out. You have to think twice at the last exit to Lipovac!
not really trapped. last exit is cca 1500 metres far from border crossing itself. queue was up to 15 km. so they had more than enough time to take exit to Tovarnik/Šid (there was waiting time up to 1 h).

also, the unusual queues were at exit Županja (and border crossing Županja/Orašje).
Old December 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #14846
tfd543

My bad, yes. Its a good investment to build hotels there. There will always be queues in summer and winter seasons no matter what. I remember 10 years ago where it was a similar queue. We found a hotel near Lipovac. It was a time when it was still 1x1 road there.
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #14847
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
queue was up to 15 km.
For 12 hours of waiting you'd expect a 100-km-long queue.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #14848
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
In Kosovo news, they said a lot of people had to complete some form of documentation at the border. Not sure if was due to using international id cards or if it only applied to those traveling further on to Kosovo through Serbia.
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #14849
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
yes. maybe media wrote wrong because i remember there was 13 km queue, and soon after that media wrote 13h. maybe they just wrote h instead of km.
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #14850
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

OK guys.... let's guess

https://www.google.es/maps/@-26.4121...7i13312!8i6656

I would bet this road is in South African Republic cos in the left we can see a little fence but... not accuracy on google

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #14851
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

Hmm, well... Botswana?
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #14852
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yes. maybe media wrote wrong because i remember there was 13 km queue, and soon after that media wrote 13h. maybe they just wrote h instead of km.
No, I saw people say they've been waiting for 10 hours, so 12 (or even 13) hours of waiting sounds plausible. I also heard of a 20-km queue (which is minimum you'd expect). Suddenly it doesn't feel that bad when I think I had to wait for 3.5 hours there in 2014.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #14853
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Yes, because you're accustomed to short and quick checks. But if check runs as in the 80's, or even some years ago at H-UA border (possibly the same right now, too, I don't know), the queue may move very slow.
I don't know whether you may remember early 90's. During the Yugoslavian war Gastarbeiters from Germany drove through A-H-RO-BG-TR. At the H-RO border the Romanian officers checked travellers so deep and so slow that waiting time got up to several days(!) though the queue was no longer than some kilometres (a 1 digit number).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #14854
tfd543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Yes, because you're accustomed to short and quick checks. But if check runs as in the 80's, or even some years ago at H-UA border (possibly the same right now, too, I don't know), the queue may move very slow.
I don't know whether you may remember early 90's. During the Yugoslavian war Gastarbeiters from Germany drove through A-H-RO-BG-TR. At the H-RO border the Romanian officers checked travellers so deep and so slow that waiting time got up to several days(!) though the queue was no longer than some kilometres (a 1 digit number).
But why was/is it like that ? What is it that can take so much time per vehicle ? Luggage control may be the bottleneck. Of course its not the CPU speed of the computers registering the passports. How in the hell did they register your entry/exit before computers were commercialized ?
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #14855
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
Hmm, well... Botswana?
Look at Africa in google street view. Only available in South Africa (+Swalizalnd...) and Botswana. Nothing else

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #14856
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
No, I saw people say they've been waiting for 10 hours, so 12 (or even 13) hours of waiting sounds plausible. I also heard of a 20-km queue (which is minimum you'd expect). Suddenly it doesn't feel that bad when I think I had to wait for 3.5 hours there in 2014.
today there was a hort article about it ni our newspapers - the main reason was bureaucracy with fullfilling some special forms for Kosovo citizens due to entering to Serbia.
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #14857
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Italy-Austria border near Tarvisio/Arnoldstein (A23/A2) in 1986

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Moravian, SRC_100, Corvinus, pai nosso, AsHalt and 1 others liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #14858
tfd543

A bit belated but the Schengen Code is going to be amended as the EU commission approved it some weeks ago to be passed in the EU Parliament soon. It will introduce registering of EU/EEA citizens in databases. Allegedly, it will mean longer queues at the borders to/from Croatia to/from MNE, SRB, BiH and to/from HU to/from SRB among many others scattered around Europe.

This is what the EU Santa is going to throw down through our chimneys. On the other hand, we would be better off with some more security.

It will affect all kind of borders i.e. maritime, terrestrial and air borders.

GROBIN liked this post
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #14859
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
A bit belated but the Schengen Code is going to be amended as the EU commission approved it some weeks ago to be passed in the EU Parliament soon. It will introduce registering of EU/EEA citizens in databases. Allegedly, it will mean longer queues at the borders to/from Croatia to/from MNE, SRB, BiH and to/from HU to/from SRB among many others scattered around Europe.

This is what the EU Santa is going to throw down through our chimneys. On the other hand, we would be better off with some more security.

It will affect all kind of borders i.e. maritime, terrestrial and air borders.
As far as I understand, it will be applied at the Schengen external border, so expect queues between Slovenia/Hungary and Croatia, too.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #14860
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Thanks god. This is exactly what we wanted. So never mind the influx of refugees without any documents to check their crime records freely crossing the borders. Let's bully the ones who have their proper documents (e.g. tourists).

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways