daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #14861
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

It's all Merkel's fault. Germans - destroying Europe since 1914.

GROBIN, Zagor666, Robi_damian liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #14862
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
A bit belated but the Schengen Code is going to be amended as the EU commission approved it some weeks ago to be passed in the EU Parliament soon. It will introduce registering of EU/EEA citizens in databases. Allegedly, it will mean longer queues at the borders to/from Croatia to/from MNE, SRB, BiH and to/from HU to/from SRB among many others scattered around Europe.
To be honest, this won't change much. Look at the HR-MNE border - passports/ID cards are scanned on entry/exit there anyway. It's the same on the Gibraltar border with Spain, and PL/SK definitely were scanning all documents on entry/exit.

We need some innovative solutions to deal with getting people through quicker - such as introduce something like the Nexus solution used on the US/Canada border so people can cross quickly and without having to stop if they're trusted travellers.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #14863
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's all Merkel's fault. Germans - destroying Europe since 1914.
I would expect "since 914" from a Slovene.

Attus, GROBIN, Kanadzie liked this post
Tenjac está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #14864
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
To be honest, this won't change much. Look at the HR-MNE border - passports/ID cards are scanned on entry/exit there anyway. It's the same on the Gibraltar border with Spain, and PL/SK definitely were scanning all documents on entry/exit.

When I crossed between Spain and Gibraltar I just waved my passport to the border officer. I could have had also my grandmother's passport as he couldn't care less to check it.

Anyway, I agree that externa Schengen border checks should be at least minimal (scanning your passport into the system and keep a record there). However, as someone mentioned above, this should be done in a quick way to avoid long waiting times at the borders.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

AsHalt liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:26 AM   #14865
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

They need new passport/ ID card scanners for sure but if they also begin to ask a lot of redundant questions then it can become long time if the driver cant speak English, let alone the officer. I like the idea of pre-registrering online as soon as you have registered at the booths x number of times but that would only be beneficial for locals.

Does anyone know what kind of scanners they are using? I guess its very standard equipment obeying the criteria.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:40 PM   #14866
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

The scanners used at the SRB/BG border scan the passport physically and then read the data from the RFID chip. The 2 photos are compared side by side to check they are the same. The data from the passport populates a form that the border officer then completes.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:50 PM   #14867
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
When I crossed between Spain and Gibraltar I just waved my passport to the border officer. I could have had also my grandmother's passport as he couldn't care less to check it.

Anyway, I agree that externa Schengen border checks should be at least minimal (scanning your passport into the system and keep a record there). However, as someone mentioned above, this should be done in a quick way to avoid long waiting times at the borders.

Going from Spain to Gibraltar (and Andorra) will not care too much on passport but on goods imported

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:58 PM   #14868
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
What is it that can take so much time per vehicle ? Luggage control may be the bottleneck.
A 15 km line-up taking 12 hours with say three parallel controlling lanes open means they're only taking two minutes to check each car on average.

If they spend five minutes on checking the luggage of every third car then the others are waved through at one car every 30 seconds, which sounds reasonable - though actually a bit too fast.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #14869
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

A new waiting area for goods transport has been opened in Vaalimaa, at E18 on the FIN-RUS border. A new motorway connecting Vaalimaa with Hamina (and further Helsinki) is scheduled for opening in March 2018. To avoid queues on the motorway, the waiting area was constructed first. The capacity is 410 lorries eastbound and 51 westbound.

It looks empty, partly because of EU sanctions, partly because the opening was scheduled (purposely) around New year and Russian holiday season.

Photos courtesy of Yle.

Whole story (Finnish) here, http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9386646

SRC_100 liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #14870
Eulanthe

A fascinating look at the Polish-Ukrainian border crossing in 1993 at Krościenko-Smolnica (sorry, I don't know the Ukrainian name).

https://youtu.be/PvdxrTAPXE4?t=311

The most fascinating thing is the ongoing refusal of both sides to seriously consider opening up many more crossing points. There's a huge need for pedestrian-only crossings in many areas, and the examples from temporary openings show that you don't need to have elaborate infrastructure for pedestrian crossings.

SRC_100, Kpc21, CSerpent liked this post
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #14871
gr_kanev

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
A fascinating look at the Polish-Ukrainian border crossing in 1993 at Krościenko-Smolnica (sorry, I don't know the Ukrainian name).
AFAIK - it's name is Смiльниця (Smil'nycia).
gr_kanev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:10 AM   #14872
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

In this news reel they say that this crossing was open only once a week, you had to get an invitation from your family on the other side of the border by telegram and no vehicles other than bicycles were allowed.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #14873
Eulanthe

It's incredible to think that it's now 2017 and this crossing is still closed to pedestrian traffic. Poland seems to be insisting that there is separate infrastructure for pedestrians, which is complete nonsense. They've also said that there's no point in building pedestrian-only crossings as the cost isn't lower than building car crossings - which is clearly also nonsense, and an obvious excuse to avoid opening crossings in places such as Wołosate.
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #14874
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Perhaps it's not about costs of building but about costs of operating. And there is in my opinion no big difference between a pedestrian crossing or a small car crossing in the middle of nowhere.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #14875
Eulanthe

The problem is that Poland doesn't build small crossings - they built an absolutely monstrous border crossing at Dołhobyczów that was absolutely not needed, especially as it's limited to traffic under 3.5t.

If they could build small, simple crossings, then of course it makes sense to open them up for cars as well. But for pedestrians in rural areas, such as at the crossing in Wołosate, you only really need a small building with a room for secondary inspections.

Even operating such a crossing doesn't need to cost much - you can make it so that the crossing cannot be used to import goods above the duty free limit, and border guards can perform the job of customs too, like how it used to be on many crossings with Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

You only need one room for secondary checks, one room as an office and a basic toilet/kitchen, nothing more. It's only Poland that's interpreting the Schengen Borders Code to require huge amounts of buildings, not the Code itself.

In comparison, car crossings need to be equipped for people to work in all weather, they need to have inspection areas (and people to perform the inspections) and all sorts of other infrastructure. They built this on the Slovakian border - http://www.minv.sk/swift_data/source...emence.jpg?v=2 - and it's more than enough for a basic pedestrian crossing.
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:35 AM   #14876
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Switzerland announced a plan to close during night some local border crossings with Italy, with the aim of 'improving security'.
The experimental stage of this project will affect Novazzano, Pedrinate and Ponte Cremenaga border crossings, that will be closed completely between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. for 7 months, starting this spring.
Existing bars will be replaced by gates.
According to Swiss government, this isn't against Schengen agreement, as other nearby border crossings will remain open.
http://www.ticinonews.ch/ticino/3417...ecco-i-valichi

I personally think that a such measure won't benefit anyone in term of security, as criminals can however cross the border elsewhere if they want to. It will negatively affect residents of the area, that would have to do long detours at night.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kpc21 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #14877
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Pamhagen (A) - Fertőd (H), today. Check the snow (not my video):
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:35 AM   #14878
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

What are the rules for non-EU family members when crossing land borders intended only for locals and EU/EEA citizens ? What if it is not the spouse but still a family member and this person possess a residence permit in an EU country and a non-EU biometric passport ? Can he/she cross the border along with the EU citizen ?

There are some of these borders in Hungary

Thanks
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:52 PM   #14879
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

true... if no booths, no possible control, of course

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:24 AM   #14880
Eulanthe

Quote:
What are the rules for non-EU family members when crossing land borders intended only for locals and EU/EEA citizens ? What if it is not the spouse but still a family member and this person possess a residence permit in an EU country and a non-EU biometric passport ? Can he/she cross the border along with the EU citizen ?

There are some of these borders in Hungary

Thanks
Generally speaking, it's only intended for direct family members. If it's a cousin or sister, they should use a proper international crossing. But it really depends on the situation - for instance, if it's at Horgos/Roszke, they'll just redirect you, but if it's at a smaller crossing and it's on the way out of the EU, they might not have a problem with it.

However, if it's a permanent residence permit, they can use the crossing on the same basis as an EU citizen.

Tags
highways, motorways