daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #14941
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

What about the compulsory health insurance for Belarus, is it still around? This little crossing doesn't look like they sold it right there.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #14942
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
So how can you enter Belarus with your own car if there is no customs service? You must temporary import your car into Belarus and this was done by customs officers.
Maybe this was changed? Albania also celebrated something like this a few years ago. And then it was gone...
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #14943
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

It was in 2015, but it was already needed when I applied for the visa. Without it there is no visa. I hope that visas will go away.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #14944
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I've read somewhere that since September 2016 the border between Russia and Belarus is closed to non-Russians/Belarusian nationals.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #14945
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
So how can you enter Belarus with your own car if there is no customs service? You must temporary import your car into Belarus and this was done by customs officers.
Maybe you find someone with a BY car to drive you in
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #14946
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read somewhere that since September 2016 the border between Russia and Belarus is closed to non-Russians/Belarusian nationals.
That's true, but since beginning of February Russia started to make controls on the border with Belarus, officially due to the fact that now you can go to Belarus with no visa for 5 days if you flight directly to Minsk. So Russians are afraid that many people will illegally go to Russia. I suppose that since they put controls on the border 3rd country nationals can again go to russia through Belarus.
Anyway the health insurance is still needed.
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:43 AM   #14947
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

The last time I got a Russian visa health insurance was mandatory for the full duration of the visa.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:20 AM   #14948
eucitizen

About health insurance I was referring to Belarus. But you are right, except for business 1 year russian visa, where it is enough health insurance covering your 1st travel.
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:50 AM   #14949
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Maybe this was changed? Albania also celebrated something like this a few years ago. And then it was gone...
No, it was not changed. In almost all non-EU countries of former Soviet Union you need to make a temporary import of your car (even into Ukraine which you don't need visa for entry). Belarus still follows those procedures as they have common Customs Union with Russia.
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #14950
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
So Russians are afraid that many people will illegally go to Russia.
Why would anybody go illegally to Russia?

Rapter, naruciakk liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 02:43 PM   #14951
keber

Two years ago when we were in Minsk with a car, we wondered what would happen if we visit Russia for a day without Russian visa (Smolensk is close to Belarus border) - we had Belarus visa but there was no border control on Belarus/Russian border. This is no problem in Schengen EU, so for example if you're visiting Vienna you can easily say "let's go to Bratislava for a day" and do.
We didn't take a risk as all complications to get to Belarus were enough.
Old February 21st, 2017, 03:11 PM   #14952
eucitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Why would anybody go illegally to Russia?
Why not? Wouldnt you be tempted? On internet you can find fora where people discussed about this issue, some went illegali to Belarus from Russia and werent controlled.
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:16 PM   #14953
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
The last time I got a Russian visa health insurance was mandatory for the full duration of the visa.
If you have like a MasterCard Gold insurance, I guess that should be ok, right? Or do they want some special insurance?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:16 PM   #14954
eucitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
If you have like a MasterCard Gold insurance, I guess that should be ok, right? Or do they want some special insurance?
They want health insurance covering Russia or the World, with special requests. If those requests are covered by the Mastercard Gold you should print a paper explaining what is covering and the maximum amount.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:21 PM   #14955
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
I usually bring my customs declaration already filled. You can find it here. In Russian, Belarusian, English, Polish, French, German. As I understand, contrary to what happens in other border crossings, you will not that have available on-spot. You will have to bring yours, already filled.
However, here I wonder if somehow we are bound to register that declaration also on the Internet before driving to Šumskas/Loša.
To me the only thing that seems clear that you may not bring anything that must be declared or load your car with cigarettes/alcohol over the customs limit.

When I will cross there for the 1st time or I will get more info from people that started crossing there, I will tell you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Maybe you find someone with a BY car to drive you in
Not exactly the best idea as I heard BY-cars won't be able to cross there. I am awaiting confirmation of this info. This is what they write on the Website:

Quote:
По согласованию с литовской стороной, пропуск транспортных средств, зарегистрированных за пределами Беларуси, в пункте пропуска «Лоша – Шумскас" будет осуществляться при наличии удостоверения ввоза на транспортное средство.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; February 21st, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:21 PM   #14956
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Not exactly the best idea as I heard BY-cars won't be able to cross there. I am awaiting confirmation of this info. This is what they write on the Website:
It's strange a border crossing not open to people from one of the two countries.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

GROBIN liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:49 AM   #14957
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Like in Soviet Union.

Kanadzie liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:26 AM   #14958
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
And now an info about the Lithuanian/Belarusian Šumskas/Loša border crossing. It is now (since Friday) available for all people and open 24 hours. However, you may drive through only by car or by bike, not by bus, truck nor walk through. (source)
Weird that bikes are allowed and pedestrians not... Unless you meant motorbikes.

Most eastern Polish crossings are car (motor vehicle)-only. The only one which allows pedestrians is, from what I know, the Medyka-Shegini one. And a touristic one in the Białowieża forest.

And this is something I can somehow understand from the smuggling point of view (although - is it really more difficult to check a man than to check a man and his car? it should be easier to hide something in your car than when you are just alone), but then, cyclists and pedestrians are quite similar...
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:14 AM   #14959
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

It has been already 2 years since pedestrians can cross neither Medininkai/Kamienny Łoh, neither Lavoriškės/Katlouka. You can cross by motorbikes and by bikes though - I've seen that in person.
To me not being able to cross by foot is idiotic. Yesteryear you could leave someone at the border, and that person was picked up by someone else on the other side. Now, the same person must either pay for a train, bus, or ask unknown people to bring her to the other side of the border

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Kpc21 liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:49 AM   #14960
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Weird that bikes are allowed and pedestrians not... Unless you meant motorbikes.

Most eastern Polish crossings are car (motor vehicle)-only. The only one which allows pedestrians is, from what I know, the Medyka-Shegini one. And a touristic one in the Białowieża forest.

And this is something I can somehow understand from the smuggling point of view (although - is it really more difficult to check a man than to check a man and his car? it should be easier to hide something in your car than when you are just alone), but then, cyclists and pedestrians are quite similar...
The border crossing between Russia and Norway is open to any vehicle (including bicycles), but not to pedestrians. There was a period when many Syrian refugees tried to enter Europe by this crossing, so people in Kola peninsula made a lot of business by selling old cheap bycicles to them, as they would need them to cross the border. However these bikes were really crap, often without basic things like functioning brakes, so they had to be thrown away just after the border as they weren't legal in Norway.

Tags
highways, motorways