daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #14961
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
To me the only thing that seems clear that you may not bring anything that must be declared or load your car with cigarettes/alcohol over the customs limit.
From my experience from 5 similar border crossings (LT-BY, BY-UA, UA-PL, FI-RU, RU-LV) you could smuggle almost anything as no one looked much into luggage (just a quick swipe with eyes), but tons of paperwork had to be correct and exact. Bureaucracy at its best.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:31 PM   #14962
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The border crossing between Russia and Norway is open to any vehicle (including bicycles), but not to pedestrians.
The whole Russian border is forbidden for pedestrians.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:42 PM   #14963
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Quote:
The border crossing between Russia and Norway is open to any vehicle (including bicycles), but not to pedestrians. There was a period when many Syrian refugees tried to enter Europe by this crossing, so people in Kola peninsula made a lot of business by selling old cheap bycicles to them, as they would need them to cross the border. However these bikes were really crap, often without basic things like functioning brakes, so they had to be thrown away just after the border as they weren't legal in Norway.
From what I know, the Polish-Ukrainian, Polish-Belarussian and Polish-Russian (Kaliningrad Region) crossings are not open for cyclists. You must have at least a motorcycle.

The exception is Medyka-Shegini, which is open for pedestrians too (and used by them intensively - many people take a Polish minibus from Przemyśl to the border, cross it on foot and take a Ukrainian minibus to Lviv, there is also the usual border traffic related to local trade of goods cheaper in one country or in the other).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:13 PM   #14964
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
From my experience from 5 similar border crossings (LT-BY, BY-UA, UA-PL, FI-RU, RU-LV) you could smuggle almost anything as no one looked much into luggage (just a quick swipe with eyes), but tons of paperwork had to be correct and exact. Bureaucracy at its best.
Well, even now the 2/3 of times I crossed the Lithuanian/Belarusian border they made me open the trunk without even looking what's in there. Just to say that they did it. It's what Poles call "formality for formality"
The only time I was entirely verified was the 1st and last time I crossed Kamienny Loh/Medininkai when coming back to Vilnius (now I cross it only sometimes when I drive towards Belarus). It was on the Lithuanian side.
However, at the same border crossing, on the Belarusian side I had once a very bizarre customs officer. He looked intrigued by a... phone charger (!) He made me open my very small glove compartment, half of which was taken by... my car manufacturer's instructions , of which he looked very interested (perhaps because it is in French). I thought it was all, but when he made me open my trunk I was fearing the worst (that he'll make me open everything and I'd waste a lot of time). And know what? He just took a jerrycan I always bring with me to Belarus and - surprised - he said "oh, it's empty!". I told him "Of course it's empty! Have you seen petrol prices on the Lithuanian side?!?" (I thought "Man, what planet do you live in?!? I pay half the Lithuanian price in Belarus! Why should I bring a full jerrycan to BY?!?"). Then, as he was extremely interested by a beautiful Belarusian girl that was also crossing the border, he let me go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
From what I know, the Polish-Ukrainian, Polish-Belarussian and Polish-Russian (Kaliningrad Region) crossings are not open for cyclists. You must have at least a motorcycle.

The exception is Medyka-Shegini, which is open for pedestrians too (and used by them intensively - many people take a Polish minibus from Przemyśl to the border, cross it on foot and take a Ukrainian minibus to Lviv, there is also the usual border traffic related to local trade of goods cheaper in one country or in the other).
I haven't seen any bikes crossing at Medininkai/Kamienny Loh, but I've seen more than one at Lavoriškės/Katloŭka. I'm pretty confident I will see a couple of them at Šumskas/Loša

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; February 22nd, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:52 PM   #14965
JCamilo79
JCamilo79

Likes (Received): 226

Mexico-US Port of Entry between Tijuana and San Diego.

GROBIN, SRC_100, CSerpent, Mr. Pollo liked this post
JCamilo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:31 AM   #14966
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Estonian-Russian border can be crossed on foot in Narva/Ivangorod.

Verso liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 02:15 AM   #14967
OulaL

... and most like Koidula/Pechory as well.

I haven't seen that border crossing with my own eyes, but what I have seen is the schematic map of the railway company ELRON. Pechory (being nowadays in Russia and spelled in Estonian as Petseri) is not served, but Koidula is, and the scheme looks like there is a pedestrian connection between these.

http://elron.ee/wp-content/uploads/2...kodulehele.pdf

Verso liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 02:47 AM   #14968
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
It was in 2015, but it was already needed when I applied for the visa. Without it there is no visa. I hope that visas will go away.
Belarus is very concerned of EU citizens illegally immigrating into their country

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:35 AM   #14969
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Narva-1 and Narva-2 are open to pedestrians - Narva-2 is actually a pedestrian-only crossing. So is the Bridge of Queen Louise crossing between LT-RU (you can see the crossing here).

About other ones - Dołhobyczów - Uhryniv (PL/UA) is open to all, while the one between PL-BY at the Augustów Canal is also open to pedestrian traffic alongside the crossing in the Białowieża Park. I'm not sure if Kuźnica Białostocka - Bruzgi reopened for pedestrians, though the BY restrictions were much more about preventing Belarusians from buying stuff abroad than anything else.

The insane thing is that there's really no reason why crossings cannot be for pedestrians too. The lack of pedestrian infrastructure isn't an issue at other Schengen crossings, especially smaller ones. I've crossed many of the HR crossings with BiH and SLO on foot, even before 2013, and it was a non-issue to cross the road to show my passport.

Verso liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:51 AM   #14970
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

In Narva/Ivangorod it is not really surprising. When you walk by the Narva river, you can see both Narva and Ivangorod fortresses facing each other.

In Panemunė/Sovetsk it is more or less the same configuration - 1 town, 2 countries, so it's fair enough.

But forbidding pedestrians to cross between LT and BY is totally impossible to understand for me - the infrastructure for pedestrians exists on both sides!... They have the same instruments to verify pedestrians as in airports! What are they so afraid of?!?...

One of these I'll try to cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo79 View Post
Mexico-US Port of Entry between Tijuana and San Diego.

Looks like Caracas

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

AsHalt liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; February 23rd, 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:55 PM   #14971
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Belarus is very concerned of EU citizens illegally immigrating into their country
Well, if someone has problems with law in the EU, a good idea could be to flee to a country which has not much to do with the EU, and Belarus might be not a bad choice.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:01 PM   #14972
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Why would anybody go illegally to Russia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Why not? Wouldnt you be tempted? On internet you can find fora where people discussed about this issue, some went illegali to Belarus from Russia and werent controlled.
Just asking, because I do not know. Usually the masses of illegal immigrants flow in the opposite direction.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:12 PM   #14973
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Just asking, because I do not know. Usually the masses of illegal immigrants flow in the opposite direction.
I tried to cross illegally the Tunisian/Algerian border in 2000 (at that time, it was open solely for people having family on each side). When I heard my-then-girlfriend screaming desperately my name and saw a Tunisian borderguard pointing at me with his Kalashnikoff, I backed up

Btw, the two fortresses: Narva (Estonia) and Ivangorod (Russia) in one pic. You can also see the border bridge

pai nosso liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:14 PM   #14974
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I wasnt thinking about those illegal immigrants. I was thinknig about normal tourists tempted to go to Russia or viceversa witohut visa. Anyway the Russian reaction is a result of a mix things: Polish suspension of the agreement on small borr crossing coopertion between Kaliningrad region and polish border regions, smuggling of products banned by Russia through Belarus, Ukrainians illegal workers and probably forcing Belarus to accept finally a common visa policy.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:45 PM   #14975
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I crossed illegally into Slovenia from Italy back in 2006. However it was just few meters into a forest and back.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM   #14976
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I crossed illegally into Slovenia from Italy back in 2006. However it was just few meters into a forest and back.
How different are the demarcation lines in Google maps compared to treaties/agreements/ratifications in real life ?

If there was no signpost or anything, how would you know that you weren't still in Italy ?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:51 PM   #14977
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
How different are the demarcation lines in Google maps compared to treaties/agreements/ratifications in real life ?

If there was no signpost or anything, how would you know that you weren't still in Italy ?
There were border stones.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:46 PM   #14978
Kvarner-1

Likes (Received): 5

I cross ex Rapallo border in Rijeka, Matulji, Kastav (Fiume, Mattuglie, Castua), since 10.02.1947 in Croatia, every day.
Better than Schengen! :-))))))
Kvarner-1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #14979
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Btw, the two fortresses: Narva (Estonia) and Ivangorod (Russia) in one pic.
This is the same view as there was in the banknote of 5 EEK before the euro.
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #14980
italystf

About 5 years ago I discovered that my house is located around 1.5km from the border between Austrian Empire and Venetian Republic before 1797.
The whole area was a complex mix of enclaves and exclaves similar to Baarle Hertog/Nassau.

Tags
highways, motorways