daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #14981
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvarner-1 View Post
I cross ex Rapallo border in Rijeka, Matulji, Kastav (Fiume, Mattuglie, Castua), since 10.02.1947 in Croatia, every day.
Better than Schengen! :-))))))
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #14982
bratislav

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvarner-1 View Post
I cross ex Rapallo border in Rijeka, Matulji, Kastav (Fiume, Mattuglie, Castua), since 10.02.1947 in Croatia, every day.
Better than Schengen! :-))))))
Actually, on that date it was in Yugoslavia (FNRJ). Croatia as a state exists since 25.06.1991.

LMB liked this post
bratislav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #14983
Kvarner-1

Likes (Received): 5

Yes, Yugoslavia and Republic of Croatia was its federal unit (at that time the name was the People's Republic of Croatia)
Kvarner-1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #14984
Kvarner-1

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, that one :-)
There are still traces of the border, in the town, in Kastav woods and so on. The border poles, buildings used by the border police and customs...
Kvarner-1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #14985
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Photos taken last August - I was gonna upload them a long time ago, but now I finally managed to find time for it.

The former Lauterbourg-Neulauterburg border crossing at the French-German border.

Actually, the whole town (Lauterbourg) is in France. Just a few houses + a complex of supermarkets (Neulauterburg - "New Lauterbourg") are located in Germany.

Going from France, just before the border, the road crosses a small river. But, assuming that Google Maps is right, the actual crossing is some tens of meters (maybe 100 m) behind it.

The bridge from the French side:

On the bridge:

A look back at France:

It's actually between the river and the border (although I did not know that taking the photos):

Eurodistrict Pamina:

So, actually, the "euro"-sign is in the proper place - where it stands, Bundesrepublik Deutschland begins:

A look back again - this is France:

A close look at the beginning of Germany:

The French speed limits sign:

The former customs pavilion - now a restaurant:

And a museum (sorry for quality, the only way to take this photo was to the sun):

From what I understand - electric bike charger. And the rear side of a cigarettes vending machine:

So France begins behind this intersection, to the left:

The German speed limits sign is located not just at the border, but at the exit from the Neulauterburg town:

piotr71, pai nosso, Attus, Moravian, EasySeven and 4 others liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #14986
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

In general, Openstreetmap is better if you need the exact location of the border.
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #14987
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

What happens technically if you do a crime in the "road gap" between two countries where the gap is between the two signposts saying which country youre entering. Under what criminal code are you subject to ? Lol.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #14988
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
What happens technically if you do a crime in the "road gap" between two countries where the gap is between the two signposts saying which country youre entering. Under what criminal code are you subject to ? Lol.
The border is still there, despite one (or both) signposts being in the wrong place.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #14989
Kpc21

What if you are exactly at the border, one foot on one side, the second foot on the other? Does it just depend on the police of which country catches you first?

Because in case of standard, normally operating border crossing (not Schengen internal borders or anything like this), which has double gates - for example, when you leave Poland to Ukraine, you first cross Polish gates, where Poles let you out, then Ukrainian gates where Ukrainians let you in - I understand that there is still a border somewhere in between (there is actually no no man's land) and the applied law depends on where you stand in the moment of committing the crime.
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #14990
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Indeed there is no no man's land, the actual border line is somewhere, one cannot be "between" two countries, at least not on land.
I wonder though what happens if the crime is committed right on the border line, and investigation cannot determine which of the two countries it should be "assigned" to. How will it then be determined which jurisdiction should deal with it? Kind of a mutual agreement?

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #14991
tfd543

Im pretty sure that its easier if its EU-EU countries. Im not so much into politics but I still thought it was worth mentioning. Obviously it is not rare since car chases can happen across different countries involving Police from different countries as well. A big mess yes.
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #14992
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
I read once that in Baarle, technicians had to deliberate which country belonged the exact point to deliver to one or another police....

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Kpc21 liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #14993
Kpc21

And isn't it like that now?

It's an extreme example.
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #14994
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I remember once Spanish police making alcohol controls for drivers just in the border Irun/Hendaye. They took line on the motorway, there was congestion and one driver was required to pass the control when only 70% of the car had passed that line (but driver had passed....)!!!!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #14995
OulaL

However, with the opening of the Fehmarn Belt tunnel there will be a road (a motorway, no less) on a no-mans land for several kilometres.

As far as I have understood, the tunnel will be operated by a company, which is 100 % owned by the Danish state; that leads one to assume that Danish legislation will be used on the international part of it.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #14996
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
However, with the opening of the Fehmarn Belt tunnel there will be a road (a motorway, no less) on a no-mans land for several kilometres.
I do not believe there is no-mans land in the Fehmarn belt. The territorial waters extend 12 nautical miles from the shoreline. The width of the Fehmarn Belt is 10 NM. Thus the German and Danish jurisdictions meet at the midway.

At the Copehangen convention of 1857, the Danish straits were declared international and due-free waterways. This does not, however, make them no-mans-land.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #14997
OulaL

I refer to Openstreetmap, but I must admit that I don't really know, where do they get the data concerning the borders.
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #14998
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
I refer to Openstreetmap, but I must admit that I don't really know, where do they get the data concerning the borders.
The system is rather complex. This picture illustrates the maritime zones:

In narrow areas, the borders are subject to agreement by the neigbours. By default, the border is located at the midway.

The 'innocent' civil vessels can be navigated on territorial waters under certain conditions. They still are subject to the jurisdiction of the shoreline country up to 24 miles from the baseline.

The Copenhagen Convention is an extension to the basic rules: It entitles a free passage to the military vessels, too.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #14999
tfd543

Indeed but what about air borders ? Who owns the space above the land?
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #15000
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The system is rather complex. This picture illustrates the maritime zones:

--

The Copenhagen Convention is an extension to the basic rules: It entitles a free passage to the military vessels, too.
Yes, and I assume that the outer limit of "A" in your picture is the border that Openstreetmap shows. Google maps, on the other hand, don't show maritime borders at all.

And indeed, these straits seem to be an exception.

Tags
highways, motorways