daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #15181
Julien06200

Likes (Received): 3

Does anyone knows if UE non-Schengen countries apply the same policy (i.e. scannng every ID) ?
Julien06200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #15182
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Are there any major traffic jams at the French and British sides of the Channel Tunnel?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #15183
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien06200 View Post
Does anyone knows if UE non-Schengen countries apply the same policy (i.e. scannng every ID) ?
Romania yes.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #15184
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Nothing wrong.

I do not believe a delay of 1-2 hours at the external borders would qualify as a disproportionate impact on traffic flows.
External to what? Croatia is an EU member state. Not to mention that there is a lot of daily commute going on between Zagreb and Slovenia. If you add 2 hours on that, it's destructive, it will affect the economy. Also Istrian tourism relies on Slovenian weekend holidaymakers, but you won't see them much this summer if they have to wait for hours at the border. And I can't even imagine what it will look like in general during the summer when millions of tourists from Central Europe start flocking Croatia together with Turkish gastarbeiters. The entire Slovenia will be clogged.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!

ChrisZwolle, bogdymol, Verso, Kpc21, x-type and 1 others liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #15185
mitasis

Likes (Received): 857

Heavy jams (up to 7 km) are reported also from yesterday on Greek-Bulgarian border in Promahonas/Kulata. Greece and Bulgaria are both EU members, but only Greece is also a Schengen member, so this border is considered as an external Schengen border. All id's and passports both greek and bulgarian are scanned by greek authorities. It is obvious that during summer months, when thousand of Bulgarians are heading to Northern greek seashores for holidays there will be huge problems.
mitasis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #15186
Verso
Islander

News: the Slovenian police have stopped checking all passengers.

Singidunum, GROBIN liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #15187
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

One kind of solution could be to allow Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria to have access to the Schengen system and database at least and do the job of external EU countries. I would allow that access also to non EU members like Serbia or Macedonia. So in this case the external controls would be only to UA, RUS, BY and Turkey.
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #15188
Julien06200

Likes (Received): 3

I wonder how they will apply this policy this summer, with thousands og cars crossing these borders daily.
Julien06200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #15189
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
External to what? Croatia is an EU member state.
You are not aware that the Schengen area is not the same thing as the EU?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #15190
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
News: the Slovenian police have stopped checking all passengers.

What does that mean ? How come ?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #15191
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
What does that mean ? How come ?
I don't know about Slovenia, but Croatia has called the European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship, Dimitris Avramopoulos, and agreed with him to temporarily stop checking all passengers on its border with Slovenia and Hungary (I don't know whether Hungarians are still checking everyone).
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:53 AM   #15192
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

After the civil war in, did Croatia put minefields in the border with Slovenia like the ones at the Bosnia - Croatia border?
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #15193
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
(I don't know whether Hungarians are still checking everyone).
Saturday's Hungarian news do not mention anything about suspension of the new "systematic" controls. Hours of waiting time for exiting Hungary are reported again.

According to the police border information, the longest waiting times of 3 hours has manifested at the Csanádpalota motorway crossing (H -> RO), but also at Röszke (H -> SRB), it took 2 hours to cross.

The prime minister's chief security adviser stated that those hit hardest by these new extended controls are "our own citizens", who in most cases have no malicious intentions when crossing a border.

http://www.hirado.hu/2017/04/08/jele...eni-hatarokon/

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Verso liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #15194
Gyorgy

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
After the civil war in, did Croatia put minefields in the border with Slovenia like the ones at the Bosnia - Croatia border?
Minefields were on the front lines, not international borders.

x-type liked this post
Gyorgy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #15195
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Waiting times are now much shorter as Croatia also stopped checking all passengers on borders.

GROBIN liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #15196
piotr71

About Istrian borders, in Italian.
http://www.triesteprima.it/cronaca/i...errorismo.html
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #15197
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, not at all. The border remained pretty much wide open until around 2000-1 when Slovenia started to prepare for EU entry. The real changes came in 2004 when Slovenia closed many unofficial crossings that were used by locals.

As for the checks, it was obvious that EU countries with borders would discontinue these checks within a day or so. There's just no way that every passport/ID card can be scanned on the busiest borders - if anything, it would make much more sense to set up a system whereby cars are randomly selected for scanning of documents

I spent an hour at Gruskovje once observing the controls in the middle of summer, and the vast majority of cars were waved through on both entry and exit. The thought of scanning every single car is just ridiculous and makes no sense.

Reports from Gibraltar suggest that nothing has changed and that the vast majority of ID's/passports are not being scanned. There was some trouble a couple of days ago, but that was rather likely to be related to the issue of Gibraltar rather than the new rules.

Last edited by Eulanthe; April 9th, 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #15198
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
it would make much more sense to set up a system whereby cars are randomly selected for scanning of documents
Not randomly, but selectively—meaning they select more suspicious people.

GROBIN liked this post
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #15199
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It's kind of interesting there is such issues

If you're crossing USA border from Canada for example, they are scanning passport of everyone, every time... is it just manpower issue?
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #15200
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6793

Quote:
Not randomly, but selectively—meaning they select more suspicious people.
If you actually are the suspect, you usually do everything not to look suspicious, so it might not work.

@Kanadzie: USA and Canada are enormous countries, so I believe that people don't have a need for travelling between them so often as through the borders of a mini-country like Slovenia.

Something being a trip to a neighboring state for someone living in the US is a trip to a neighboring country for someone living in Slovenia. Or even in Croatia.

But... these people had to live with strict borders through the whole iron curtain period. Maybe not between Croatia and Slovenia, as they were parts of a single country then - but, for example, the border between Hungary and Romania was for sure strictly guarded. You had to get a passport, you had to wait at the border, they checked you thoroughly and you could never be sure they let you through. Yet it was anyway much easier than going to a western-European country (including Italy or Greece), for which you needed a special passport (which you had to return to the state authorities once you were back, and it was not so easy to get it, practically impossible if you have ever done anything against the communism, which included even saying things e.g. about the history the government did not like publically), and a big problem was the currency difference (eastern-European money meant nothing in the West, western-European money was worth really much in the East - I don't really understand the reasons of that, but it was so; and, in addition, exchanging the money between the Eastern and Western currencies in the East was possible only on the black market). But there wasn't anything like Schengen on the eastern side of the iron curtain, and the governments were making it rather difficult to travel to another country. Actually, from what I know, there still exists a region in the far east of Russia, where people are not allowed to travel freely.

And people did live with that.

Last edited by Kpc21; April 9th, 2017 at 08:37 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways