daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #15241
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

HR/SRB Bajakovo-Batrovci crossing today
http://www2.hak.hr/rmt/?l=1

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #15242
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Passing B200 Flensburg to Denmark today - controls, but waved trough. E20 to Malmö, controls, but only some lanes.
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #15243
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyorgy View Post
Croatian police is in their border posts only where border is not yet determined (Sečovlje).
Not only, there are some other places where the controls are on the Croatian side too, such as Macelj. I think most of the railway crossings are also remaining as they were before Croatia joined the EU. I think there's also one or two places where the "one stop" controls moved to the Croatian side rather than the Slovenian side too.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #15244
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Well, between Lithuania and Belarus it is not as drastical as you are all describing since this EU border "reinforcement". Perhaps because it is not yet the season when people drive to their dachas.

This Sunday I went to BY there and back for the 1st time this year.

I drove through Medininkai/Kamienny Loh, where it took me around 30min. to cross because of the formalities I will describe below.
I came back through the Loša/Šumskas border crossing, about which you will find more info a couple of pages back. It took me 15min. Strangely, I was checked more in detail on the BY and not on the LT side

Of course, on the Belarusian side they must complicate everything, even when they have simplified something
As a reminder, this used the Loša/Šumskas border checkpoint used to be a local one, which means basically only people living very close to the border line could cross it and it was open only a few hours during the day.
Since February, it is open for anyone that drives a car, a motorcycle or a bike. One specificity of this border crossing is the absence of customs officers. Only borderguards are present.
This is the procedure I had to go through:

1) At Kamienny Loh, I had to make a 3-month temporary import declaration for my car (which means I don't have to fill that every single time I drive to BY ). It costed around 2 EUR. Without doing this, you CAN'T cross at Šumskas/Loša.

2) When I drove back through Loša, they told me on the Belarusian (Loša) side:
- When driving towards BY, I can't bring ANY kind of alcohol. Solely personal stuff.
- When driving towards LT, I can bring, as usual, up to 1L of strong alcohol. The quantity of vegetable/fruits I can bring from the village is limited to 5kg (& up to1kg of each sort)

3) On the Lithuanian side (Šumskas), as I am not a border zone inhabitant, they confirmed me I can bring up to 10L of fuel in a jerrycan as usual. They are aware of what I can/can't bring to Belarus through Loša, which means if you bring something that can't cross the border at this point, Lithuanian borderguards deny access to the Belarusian side.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; April 18th, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:28 AM   #15245
dannyboy9292

Likes (Received): 67

Słubice Poland with Frankfurt Oder Germany in the background taken by me on Tuesday.

Kanadzie, SRC_100, Kpc21, CSerpent liked this post
dannyboy9292 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #15246
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian border police often catches immigrants who have entered Romania one way or the other (legally or not so legally), as they are trying to leave Romania and enter Hungary. They have all kinds of ways of trying to cross the border, either on foot on the fields, or hidden in a vehicle which crosses the border.

However, yesterday a record was broken. On the motorway crossing at Nadlac (RO) / Csanadpalota (HU) a lorry showed up, trying to cross into Hungary. Inside the lorry the border police found 111 illegal immigrants trying to enter Schengen area without a visa. 111 people inside a single lorry:

Article in Romanian.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #15247
JCamilo79
JCamilo79

Likes (Received): 226

San Ysidro Port of entry, getting back to the U.S [San Diego] from Tijuana.

SRC_100, Corvinus, CSerpent liked this post
JCamilo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #15248
Eulanthe

This might interest people here - it's a picture of one of the border crossing between Estonia and Russia in 1991 at Luhamaa. What's particularly interesting is the use of "kordon" (guard station) rather than "piiripunkt" (border station), as it existed mostly to control people and goods rather than as a form of migration control.

CSerpent, SRC_100 liked this post
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #15249
Eulanthe

Found a video of one of the 1991-era controls as well. As you can clearly see, they were focusing on controlling goods, not people.

Found a video as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhxd_VLVzY

SRC_100, haddockman liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #15250
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

This most likely because Estonia restored it's independence fully on 20. August 1991. Before they had just separated slightly, like Montenegro from Serbia when Montenegro introduced the Euro as currency. There were similar "border" controls - in fact just custom controls.

Edit: You see it at 0:06 of the video - "economical border" not "state border"
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #15251
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6756

Polish-Ukrainian border checkpoint in Hrebenne in 1992:

Polish-German border in Świecko in 1992 - much more crowded:

(the sound is faulty in this video)

One of the drivers says he has been waiting for over 20 hours. Others say they wait from 18:00 yesterday and they estimate they will wait till 20:00 that day.

The drivers say it's the same on the eastern border, but no big queues on the southern one.

The narrator says the situation became much worse when it became allowed for private carriers to operate on international routes. Another reason was the fact that the only checkpoint for the trucks from "our eastern neighbors" (not sure if he means Belarus only, or Ukraine too) to the western Europe.

On the other crossings with Germany, the queues were shorter, but the waiting time was actually longer - Świecko was more efficient.

Queue in Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin (Poland/Czech Republic), no idea which year, but it's 1990s (there is a Polonez Caro car in the video, which was produced from 1991):

It's the Polish side.

Polish TV news from 1988 (28 November 1988) - also the checkpoint in Cieszyn:

According to the reporter: the border was crossed mostly by foreigners: Yugoslavians, Hungarians, Czechoslovaks. Customs officers claimed that it was mostly about cross-border trade.

The goods mostly bought in Poland by foreigners were clothes: jeans, leather, underwear, bedclothes.

The Polish-Russian (and EU-Russian) border at the Vistula Spit:

The guy finds an apple from a Polish apple tree and decides to consume it next to the border with Russia, telling it will be inaccessible for Russians - it was the time when Russia was introducing a sanction on Polish apples.

And the same border again:

This STOP sign at a beach looks interesting:

g.spinoza, Alex_ZR, Tachi, piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; April 26th, 2017 at 03:47 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #15252
Eulanthe

Another picture, allegedly from 1991 on the Estonian-Russian border.

I have my doubts about whether this is genuinely on the Russian border, not least because it doesn't seem to match the location of any existing border crossing.

Old April 27th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #15253
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Queue in Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin (Poland/Czech Republic), no idea which year, but it's 1990s (there is a Polonez Caro car in the video, which was produced from 1991):

Are they driving in a Lada Samara or also an FSO Polonez?
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #15254
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

Poles were obviously not allowed to travel to the west. And no western goods.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #15255
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Not true at all
The only problem was to get a passport, it wasn`t so easy but possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
Are they driving in a Lada Samara or also an FSO Polonez?
FSO Polonez

Tachi liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #15256
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6756

There were western goods too (there were special shops with them called Pewex), but those goods had to be bought for dollars instead of Polish złoty, and the exchange rate was very high (in the early years, it was not even allowed to possess dollars in Poland).

So if someone had a source of income somewhere in the west, even a very small one, he was very rich in practice.

In the years, when it was not allowed to have dollars, all the income from the west was converted to "dollar vouchers", which could be spent only in those special shops. The "dollar vouchers" were in circulation also later, I am not sure how it exactly worked then. Maybe the banks were exchanging Polish złoty to the vouchers, but you could still buy dollars on the black market, which was quite easy (a person providing such an illegal service was called "cinkciarz" from mispronounced "change money").

But I am not sure. Someone living in those times would have to explain.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #15257
Eulanthe

About those queues in Cieszyn - it's not so complicated. There was quite a lot of inequality in prices between Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic and Poland in the early 1990's, while Customs officers were very strict on both sides of the border. The crossings there were notorious for in-depth checks on travellers, and there was still a lot of bureaucracy associated with the border.

It didn't help that neither border crossing in Cieszyn was really equipped for large amounts of traffic. Both border crossings were built during Communism, so post-1989 meant that the same infrastructure suddenly had to cope with a huge amount of pedestrian traffic that didn't exist previously. The building on ul. Zamkowa 1 that was used simply wasn't big enough, especially to handle Customs declarations that were required.

Kpc21 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #15258
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7668

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
This most likely because Estonia restored it's independence fully on 20. August 1991. Before they had just separated slightly, like Montenegro from Serbia when Montenegro introduced the Euro as currency. There were similar "border" controls - in fact just custom controls.

Edit: You see it at 0:06 of the video - "economical border" not "state border"
While it's merely semantics - much like "Polish concentration camps" (they were, of course, German) - it needs to be cleared up - Montenegro couldn't have separated "from" Serbia since it was never part of it. Instead, Montenegro seperated from the Union of Serbia & Montenegro, mutually agreed and perfectly legal - much like Scotland for example, if a new referendum was held - it wouldn't separate from England but from United Kingdom.

Now, let's say, Kosovo, temporarily occupied by a foreign superpower, is another matter.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #15259
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
temporarily occupied
This very expression is also used by Hungarian revisionist sources to describe the territories cut off from Hungary by the victorious powers after WWI.

"Temporary" being a vague formulation, though.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #15260
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7668

Indeed, very vague.
Having lost territories in WWI, Hungary only had to wait until WWII to try & recover them.

CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways