daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #15261
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
While it's merely semantics - much like "Polish concentration camps" (they were, of course, German) - it needs to be cleared up - Montenegro couldn't have separated "from" Serbia since it was never part of it. Instead, Montenegro seperated from the Union of Serbia & Montenegro, mutually agreed and perfectly legal
I was not referring to the independence of Montenegro but to the introduction of Deutsche Mark as currency in Montenegro in 1999. With this step, a economic border (aka custom controls) was established at the border with Serbia. This is why I wrote that Montenegro separated from Serbia. That was not correct, I should have wrote "Montenegro moved apart from Serbia".

CrazySerb liked this post

Last edited by stickedy; April 30th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #15262
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Entering Austria at Meiningen, coming from Oberrüti (CH) - A13, exit no. 5

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Kpc21, SRC_100, Verso, pai nosso liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:20 AM   #15263
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

A photo of the famous Nova Gorica railway station (seen from Gorizia, Italy), during Yugoslavia era. The red star on the top is now inside the museum.

On a semi-related note, today I drove for the first time across the extraterritorial 'Osimo road', during my way to Monte Sabotino, a little mountain near Gorizia relevant for WWI memories (there is a little militaria museum and several trenches and bunkers dug by soldiers) and for the beautiful view from the top (above Gorizia, Nova Gorica, the Isonzo/Soca valley and Sv. Gora/Monte Santo), that is located across the I-SLO border, but it's accessible by car only from the SLO side.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Verso, Corvinus, Alex_ZR, pai nosso liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:25 AM   #15264
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

In a low developed countries its forbidden to take photos at the borders. There was a case when a guy took photos at the border between Kosovo-Serbia and he was detained.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:59 AM   #15265
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I was in Cyprus this week and here are a few photos I made on the border between the Republic of Cyprus (the Greek part) and the so-called Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

Last edited by Verso; May 1st, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:25 AM   #15266
Verso
Islander

UN Buffer Zone – keep out:

I hope you liked it.
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:30 AM   #15267
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I love how you took photos of sign "don't take photos!"

Verso liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:51 AM   #15268
Verso
Islander

That photo was actually taken in Famagusta, but those signs are all over Northern Cyprus. I would say around 25–30% of Northern Cyprus is closed for civilians. Turkish army is all over the place.
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:54 AM   #15269
Slodi

Likes (Received): 5764

Poland - Germany border crossing between towns of Buk and Blankensee

gazeta.pl

SRC_100 liked this post
Slodi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:23 AM   #15270
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

no entry, but zona 30
Vespa on the sidewalk?

AsHalt liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:51 AM   #15271
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I would say around 25–30% of Northern Cyprus is closed for civilians. Turkish army is all over the place.

What are they doing the entire day? The war is over, nobody is attacking them, people are living in relative peace and the border is open and easy to pass (so I heard).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM   #15272
Slodi

Likes (Received): 5764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
no entry, but zona 30
Vespa on the sidewalk?
this photo was taken a year ago during construction works of that roundabout.
Slodi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:24 PM   #15273
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What are they doing the entire day? The war is over, nobody is attacking them, people are living in relative peace and the border is open and easy to pass (so I heard).
They exercise their sovereignty over northern Cyprus.
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:41 PM   #15274
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
They exercise their sovereignty over northern Cyprus.
very interesting. What kind of border is it ? Do you need a passport and do locals need that as well ? Are there any customs control ? What is the difference between passing the border before and after 2008 where rules were facilitated. Which part is the most developed and modern ? thnx man.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:06 PM   #15275
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
In a low developed countries its forbidden to take photos at the borders. There was a case when a guy took photos at the border between Kosovo-Serbia and he was detained.
And is it allowed in well-developed countries, except for the cases where the border is open? Like USA-Mexico? I think for it to be forbidden to take photos at the border is quite an ordinary thing. They may thing you are a spy or something like that.

I was crossing the Hungary-Croatia border by train with a friend. He took a photo of a border guard (soldier, if I remember well) with a big gun over a window, just because of it's interesting. The guard entered the train and told him to delete it.

Nowadays it's not difficult to take photo without being noticed so this is kind of a dead law.

An interesting case is the airport in Chania, Crete. It's a military area (and theoretically a military airport), so it's forbidden to photo, but it's massively used by tourist passenger planes for lack of other airports in the neighborhood (there is one more on the island, in Heraklion, if I remember well, but it's probably too little to satisfy the needs). So even though it's forbidden to photograph it, it's so easy to break this rule (by just taking a photo from a plane taking off, or even landing, nobody will be able to identify you through a window of the plane) that I don't think anyone cares.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:53 PM   #15276
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
There is a relative peace because the armies of both sides are still there.

If one leaves, the other probably takes over. Neither one wants that.
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:09 PM   #15277
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
And is it allowed in well-developed countries, except for the cases where the border is open? Like USA-Mexico? I think for it to be forbidden to take photos at the border is quite an ordinary thing. They may thing you are a spy or something like that.

I was crossing the Hungary-Croatia border by train with a friend. He took a photo of a border guard (soldier, if I remember well) with a big gun over a window, just because of it's interesting. The guard entered the train and told him to delete it.

Nowadays it's not difficult to take photo without being noticed so this is kind of a dead law.

An interesting case is the airport in Chania, Crete. It's a military area (and theoretically a military airport), so it's forbidden to photo, but it's massively used by tourist passenger planes for lack of other airports in the neighborhood (there is one more on the island, in Heraklion, if I remember well, but it's probably too little to satisfy the needs). So even though it's forbidden to photograph it, it's so easy to break this rule (by just taking a photo from a plane taking off, or even landing, nobody will be able to identify you through a window of the plane) that I don't think anyone cares.
No its not true. Those are obviously non conflict areas where the rules are not applied at all. For example Serbia does not recognize the border with Kosovo, and there are ongoing tensions. If you try to provoke something at the border even being a tourist, you can end in the news or maybe in imprisonment.
Also in the Balkan states you can regularly see army doing checks at the border crossings, specially at night, instead or with the custom officials.
I have crossed several times and they came to me with automatic guns to check my car. But they do this as a routine.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:06 PM   #15278
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Hey, don't forget that cranky nation with threats flying all over and nuke testing underground right now...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:47 AM   #15279
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
very interesting. What kind of border is it ? Do you need a passport and do locals need that as well ? Are there any customs control ? What is the difference between passing the border before and after 2008 where rules were facilitated. Which part is the most developed and modern ? thnx man.
Yes, you need a passport for Northern Cyprus, although according to their foreign ministry ID is enough for citizens of the EU and Turkey. There is customs control as well, although I wasn't asked anything. The Greek part is much more developed, but there are highly developed places in the Turkish part as well, particularly Kyrenia with 100 hotels. What happened in 2008?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:16 AM   #15280
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Yes, you need a passport for Northern Cyprus, although according to their foreign ministry ID is enough for citizens of the EU and Turkey. There is customs control as well, although I wasn't asked anything. The Greek part is much more developed, but there are highly developed places in the Turkish part as well, particularly Kyrenia with 100 hotels. What happened in 2008?
Not 2008 but 2003. The border was opened, allowing people from both sides of the island to visit the other side for the first time after 29 years of full closure.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways