daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:37 AM   #15281
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Not 2008 but 2003. The border was opened, allowing people from both sides of the island to visit the other side for the first time after 29 years of full closure.
It was actually quite an interesting situation. Northern Cyprus only restricted access to those from the Republic of Cyprus, but the Republic of Cyprus regarded foreigners crossing there as having entered the Republic of Cyprus illegally, but pragmatically chose to simply refuse entry to them. You could still leave from the Republic of Cyprus to Northern Cyprus, but you couldn't return.

The European Union told the Republic of Cyprus that this situation was unacceptable for EU citizens (who had a right to enter the EU), so the border was opened for all EU citizens regardless of where they entered the island of Cyprus when the Republic of Cyprus joined the EU.

But. Today, non-EU citizens still have problems. It depends where you're from as to how it works, but the Republic of Cyprus police tend to allow entry to the South (and return to the North) for those that don't need a visa to enter, but those that require visas are often deported back to Northern Cyprus.

For those that don't need a visa, they should return to Northern Cyprus before leaving the island, as fines are common at the airports in the Republic of Cyprus for those that are deemed to have entered the Republic of Cyprus illegally.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:56 PM   #15282
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Did Greece not have a policy of denying entry to those who had entered Northern Cyprus?
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:58 PM   #15283
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
For those that don't need a visa, they should return to Northern Cyprus before leaving the island, as fines are common at the airports in the Republic of Cyprus for those that are deemed to have entered the Republic of Cyprus illegally.
That would be me, since I entered Cyprus at the Ercan Airport in Northern Cyprus.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM   #15284
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That would be me, since I entered Cyprus at the Ercan Airport in Northern Cyprus.
As I understand, Cyprus as a unified country will never be part of Schengen. At least not with this set-up.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:53 PM   #15285
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yesterday I heard an old story on radio.

It was regarding my homecity football team. On September 1989 they had to move to Cyprus for an UEFA official match.

They managed tickets and passports and were afraid about going on because main goalkeeper was from South America and they didn't know if they would have any problem at customs.

Just after he was allowed to board into plane, second goalkeeper was sent home in the same bus he had arrived to airport. He was Spanish and team took him just in case they had problems with main goalkeeper. It was in an interview to him when he remembered that story and issue was to save money about tickets.

This team hasn't made many trips (and nowadays is in second league) but in 1994 they had to move to northern Romania for instance. They looked for nearest airport and it was a single one with barely traffic. They requested a charter plane and... police prepared first customs in history in that corner in Romania because it was the first international flight they received.

It was a so great chance in the region (and town was 150 km away from airport among all Carpates driving at 50 km/h) that two police cars were always looking forward team.

Two weeks later, Romanian team decided to take the same airport and... police knew what to do. Second plane in that airport

(I do not know if further more flights...)

My homecity passed away and for next round they just said they didn't matter to play against one or another one but, please, with an airport around....

They had to play against Presov, Slovakia and to save money, regular flight till Budapest and bus crossing border.

Sometimes football is full of border issues to chat about but... yes, in 1989 football players were allowed in Cyprus without problems, coming from Spain incluiding if they were from South America.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:58 PM   #15286
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Bielsa-Aragnouet tunnel has been closed for a while this morning due to an accident. AFAIK, no victims, just tunnel closed to traffic.

I posted in the regional thread about it and.... one minute after, webpage said open again.

Webpage says if it is open, closed, snow chains required, temperature in both entrances and so on... and two webcams that are updated every ten minutes.

English version is this one

http://www.bielsa-aragnouet.org/eng/

Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:04 PM   #15287
tfd543

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Yesterday I heard an old story on radio.

It was regarding my homecity football team. On September 1989 they had to move to Cyprus for an UEFA official match.

They managed tickets and passports and were afraid about going on because main goalkeeper was from South America and they didn't know if they would have any problem at customs.

Just after he was allowed to board into plane, second goalkeeper was sent home in the same bus he had arrived to airport. He was Spanish and team took him just in case they had problems with main goalkeeper. It was in an interview to him when he remembered that story and issue was to save money about tickets.

This team hasn't made many trips (and nowadays is in second league) but in 1994 they had to move to northern Romania for instance. They looked for nearest airport and it was a single one with barely traffic. They requested a charter plane and... police prepared first customs in history in that corner in Romania because it was the first international flight they received.

It was a so great chance in the region (and town was 150 km away from airport among all Carpates driving at 50 km/h) that two police cars were always looking forward team.

Two weeks later, Romanian team decided to take the same airport and... police knew what to do. Second plane in that airport

(I do not know if further more flights...)

My homecity passed away and for next round they just said they didn't matter to play against one or another one but, please, with an airport around....

They had to play against Presov, Slovakia and to save money, regular flight till Budapest and bus crossing border.

Sometimes football is full of border issues to chat about but... yes, in 1989 football players were allowed in Cyprus without problems, coming from Spain incluiding if they were from South America.
I did not really get it. Anyway I am a very big passionated football fan but I have never heard about border issues for playing in foreign countries against national football teams. Frankly never.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:33 PM   #15288
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
I did not really get it. Anyway I am a very big passionated football fan but I have never heard about border issues for playing in foreign countries against national football teams. Frankly never.
In the early 70s, Yugoslavia and Spain had to play in both countries and there was no embassies to deal about visas.
It was France who dealed with them and gave Yugoslavian players a visa to enter Spain and conversely.

There wasn't problems but a lot of issues to deal before match.

Anyway, let's remember issue with Maradona who, due to former problems with drugs, was forbidden to entry inside Australia for a FIFA official match at first!!

Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:03 PM   #15289
tfd543

Quote:
In the early 70s, Yugoslavia and Spain had to play in both countries and there was no embassies to deal about visas.

It was France who dealed with them and gave Yugoslavian players a visa to enter Spain and conversely.

There wasn't problems but a lot of issues to deal before match.

Anyway, let's remember issue with Maradona who, due to former problems with drugs, was forbidden to entry inside Australia for a FIFA official match at first!!

Wasnt the YU passport that powerful to travel visa free in Eastern and Western bloc countries and allow reciprocality?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #15290
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Wasnt the YU passport that powerful to travel visa free in Eastern and Western bloc countries and allow reciprocality?
it wasn't. YU citizens were actually required to have visa for most (western) european countries. the difference was that YU citizens were allowed to travel. Warsaw pact citizens weren't allowed that.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:04 PM   #15291
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Spain was fascist until 1975 and had not relationships with any communist country.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:31 PM   #15292
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it wasn't. YU citizens were actually required to have visa for most (western) european countries. the difference was that YU citizens were allowed to travel. Warsaw pact citizens weren't allowed that.
No. There were more western states that you could visit without visa than otherwise. What I mention is that Albania, Greece and France required visa because of some bilateral issues. Albania was the most isolated country in the world back then and no one traveled there. But the gates were open for West and East Germany, UK, Italy and all others...

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:24 PM   #15293
x-type
con los terroristas

i'm not sure for the UK.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:57 PM   #15294
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i'm not sure for the UK.
My dad visited UK in 1982 without visa. Actually, he travelled around Europe by railway in late 1970s and early 1980s, and the only visa in his passport is Greek.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:50 AM   #15295
x-type
con los terroristas

i know that for France visa was needed in 1989.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:02 AM   #15296
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Spain wasn't at all in the "western bloc". Spain had a dictator in those years.
Let's remember than in the early 50ish, Argentina opened first embassy in Madrid for years and until Eisenhower visit in December 59, it was almost isolated from the rest of the world.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:04 AM   #15297
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
No. There were more western states that you could visit without visa than otherwise. What I mention is that Albania, Greece and France required visa because of some bilateral issues. Albania was the most isolated country in the world back then and no one traveled there. But the gates were open for West and East Germany, UK, Italy and all others...
Lol... I can say I have been in Albania.
How?. In territorial waters!!!. I was in a cruise that left Corfu/Kirka in Greece and received a SMS message in the mobile saying "welcome to XXX network in Albania" or something like that. That means I was in that moment less than 7 km away from Albanian shore.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:30 AM   #15298
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Border between Cyprus and the UK (Akrotiri and Dhekelia). Actually there's no sign whatsoever, at least not on the motorway.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/30430722

pai nosso, CSerpent, piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by Verso; May 4th, 2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: wrong location
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:57 AM   #15299
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Lol... I can say I have been in Albania.
How?. In territorial waters!!!. I was in a cruise that left Corfu/Kirka in Greece and received a SMS message in the mobile saying "welcome to XXX network in Albania" or something like that. That means I was in that moment less than 7 km away from Albanian shore.
I sometimes get 'Welcome to Slovenia' SMSs while on the train between Monfalcone and Trieste. The railway line runs entirely within Italy, but it runs very close to the Slovenian border near Duino. In the past, even Croatian mobile signal was captured on the coast near Trieste.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:13 PM   #15300
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In my region, in the Pyrenees mountains, there is more mobile service from Spain than from France. Therefore, sometimes being in France you can get Spanish service (and be careful with fares because they will be international) and sometimes, should you call in the middle of Pyrenees to 112 for an emergency, they are answered in my homecity. As far as they offer service in several languages and they see exact location, they re-send call to French emergency services but it is a point... no full mobile service near border in France.

Last time I entered in France I received several SMS. First, welcome, secondly, fares if I called or connected to internet and finally...... phone numbers of embassy in Paris and nearest consulates!!!!!!

The issue of Albania was only an anecdote... I was travelling from Athens to Venice and providing I shouldn't glanced my mobile I wouldn't know at all I had been in territorial Albanian waters for a while (it is easy because those antennas give service only for 7 km or so and border was really near to harbour where we departed.

Tags
highways, motorways