daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:20 PM   #15301
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

One little hassle will be gone in June: no more roaming charges for calls within EU + Norway (Switzerland didn't sign up sadly). There will also be a minimum free EU data roaming cap that increases every year (or the cap on the customer home plan, whichever is lower). I think it will be 500MB month starting in June.

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM   #15302
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Going to the other corner in the world....

at Bhutan there are only four airports. One international and three local ones. One out of them is quite near India, barely one km away.

I found a road with custom booths near airport and another city. Google maps borders seems not to be so accurate at all

I glanced two farms inside India but pointed from Bhutan and no booths around. Are they enclaves or that stuff?

And... I found this highway in Bhutan

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Gel....4927134?hl=es

Seems that wires away are still in Bhutan but forest is in India.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:09 PM   #15303
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

You can turn off international roaming in your phone to avoid charging international fares while you are close to the border.

The possibility of doing proper calls on a mobile phone and getting a working connection is limited by... the speed of light and the fact it's not infinite (so at some distance the phone cannot synchronize with the base station any more - in case of GSM, the limit is about 30 km, not sure about the newer standards using the CDMA technology), but it's possible to log in to the GSM network even at distances of hundreds of km. Especially over the sea - radio waves propagate very well over water.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:35 PM   #15304
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yes I know. As far as I am not used to walk around border areas, I do not unbranch mobile or stop roaming but I know people who do it.
Anyway, should you are in a country and in that corner you do not have mobile service from your country but it has from neighbour country you yocan still keep calling 112 for emergencies (even is roaming is cut down). Call be received far away and turned back to nearest point to your location.

In my case it was very easy due to we had to cross an 8 km tunnel with border in the middle and no mobile service. Therefore, as soon as we entered into tunnel we unbranched data services keeping only wifi and phone calls.

Another anecdote in central Pyrenees... Several years ago some French trekkers had an accident. Instead of calling 112, they called local medical services in France. They moved a helicopter and entered for one km in Spain, rescued people and came back to a hospital in France.
Be sure nobody bothered about that "invasion" without permission.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:45 PM   #15305
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

The European Commission instructed the governments of Sweden, Germany, Austria and Denmark to roll back their checkpoints at internal Schengen borders, as their first extension of the emergency measures expired and the reasons that motivated controls especially in Austria and Sweden are no longer there. They should rely more on plate recognition technologies and other non-intrusive and more directed modes of surveillance instead of using checkpoints that stop everyone.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:51 PM   #15306
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Well... be sure that a helicopter moving one km inside border in a 3.000 m peaks area is not easy to control at all. Obviously it is checked that someone has entered border (for instance, should you hire a helicopter or a little plane for a sightseen, you may notify you are going to cross border with it).
As far as it was known it was for emergencies, nobody worried about it. Maybe because last case of French people doing trekking in the area and having an accident were sent to nearest hospital and stayed for several weeks. They didn't matter with cares and burocracy or so but a lot of with translators...

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:38 PM   #15307
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
As far as it was known it was for emergencies, nobody worried about it. Maybe because last case of French people doing trekking in the area and having an accident were sent to nearest hospital and stayed for several weeks. They didn't matter with cares and burocracy or so but a lot of with translators...
That would be reasonable to have an agreement between EU countries to allow cross-border rescue operations in case of emergency. It's not that one is supposed to let someone die because the incident happened 1km across the border.
Even police forces can cross Schengen borders in some cases, like chasing a fugitive criminal.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:56 PM   #15308
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yeah, as I said nobody bothered.... but it make it surprising was that they called nearest health hall in France instead of 112.
No problems in that way but nearest helicopter was in the Spanish side....

I have glanced and have seen that another time, being inside Spain they called 112 and instead sending call to France, they kept talking in French, sent a helicopter and later to Tarbes hospital instead of inside Spain.

It is just a detail but for technical reasons in a hospital, a good translation can be a messy-blessy.... and it is not enough to chat in another language in those ways.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:33 PM   #15309
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Lol... I can say I have been in Albania.
How?. In territorial waters!!!. I was in a cruise that left Corfu/Kirka in Greece and received a SMS message in the mobile saying "welcome to XXX network in Albania" or something like that. That means I was in that moment less than 7 km away from Albanian shore.
I was speaking about traveling rights of the ex Yugoslav citizens. I mentioned Albania because it was really isolated. The communist dictator Enver Hoxha ruled Albania for 41 years, (yes four decades) and in that long period it was impossible to visit the country so really there were no outsiders there.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:56 PM   #15310
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I was speaking about traveling rights of the ex Yugoslav citizens. I mentioned Albania because it was really isolated. The communist dictator Enver Hoxha ruled Albania for 41 years, (yes four decades) and in that long period it was impossible to visit the country so really there were no outsiders there.
I've read that international visitors were allowed in Albania, but in stricly controlled conditions, like in DPRK.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM   #15311
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Syria as seen from Cyprus:

http://www.thisfabtrek.com/journey/e...22-kyrenia.php
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #15312
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Border between Cyprus and the UK (Akrotiri and Dhekelia). Actually there's no sign whatsoever, at least not on the motorway.
It's intentional. Part of the deal that established the SBA's in Cyrpus meant that there wouldn't be customs controls between the two. There are controls between Dhekelia and Northern Cyprus though. and those controls are operated by the SBA Customs while following the rules of the Republic of Cyprus.

It's an odd situation, but I think for all practical purposes, the SBA territories outside of the bases are effectively the same as the Republic of Cyprus, only that the government is different.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #15313
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read that international visitors were allowed in Albania, but in stricly controlled conditions, like in DPRK.
No I don't think so. There were bunkers along the border with YU. Also at the coast so really it was very unlikely that someone would go there. They didn't let you go, you needed permissions not just visa.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #15314
italystf

https://www.google.it/maps/@45.4511966,13.975705,16z

Is this extra-territorial road still open or was it fenced off due to strenghtening of security controls on the outer Schengen border?
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #15315
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's intentional. Part of the deal that established the SBA's in Cyrpus meant that there wouldn't be customs controls between the two. There are controls between Dhekelia and Northern Cyprus though. and those controls are operated by the SBA Customs while following the rules of the Republic of Cyprus.

It's an odd situation, but I think for all practical purposes, the SBA territories outside of the bases are effectively the same as the Republic of Cyprus, only that the government is different.
To make everything more complicate, there are some Greek Cypriot enclaves within the British area, a Turkish Cypriot exclave in the Greek area, and some villages in the UN-controlled buffer zone between the two areas.

Last edited by italystf; May 5th, 2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #15316
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
No I don't think so. There were bunkers along the border with YU. Also at the coast so really it was very unlikely that someone would go there. They didn't let you go, you needed permissions not just visa.
I'm not sure and I can't find any info on that matter. At home I've a sort of 'Tourist guide of Europe' from 1975 that describes all countries of Europe from a touristic point of view, including documents required and formalities. It includes every country, even Soviet Union, but not Albania, there's not even a mention of it.
On the other hand, I've a road map of Yugoslavia (no bridge at Krk, so older than 1980), that shows some border crossings with Albania (marked with a dot, like functioning border crossings with Italy, Austria, etc...). I've read somewhere that a maritime route was established between Trieste and Durres in 1983.
The only certain thing is that Albania was the most isolated country in Europe before 1989, so if there was any traffic with the outside world, it must have been very stricly limited and controlled, maybe like North Korea today.
Enver Hoxa was crazy and paranoid, he built thousands of bunkers across the country and at the beginning of Cold War even bombed and sank some Western ships passing too close to Albanian coast.
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #15317
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
[url]https://www.google.it/maps/@45.4511966,13.975705,16z/url]

Is this extra-territorial road still open or was it fenced off due to strenghtening of security controls on the outer Schengen border?
Last thing I read was that Slovenia was building a fence with a gate there. I don't know if it's still open for traffic or closed. Croatia should build a bypass there, it's no big deal at all
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #15318
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I remember thar somewhere there was a road inside Switzerland that made faster several inner French journeys and was allowed to cross without passport control.

Do you know position?

Old May 5th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #15319
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
I'm not sure and I can't find any info on that matter. At home I've a sort of 'Tourist guide of Europe' from 1975 that describes all countries of Europe from a touristic point of view, including documents required and formalities. It includes every country, even Soviet Union, but not Albania, there's not even a mention of it.
On the other hand, I've a road map of Yugoslavia (no bridge at Krk, so older than 1980), that shows some border crossings with Albania (marked with a dot, like functioning border crossings with Italy, Austria, etc...). I've read somewhere that a maritime route was established between Trieste and Durres in 1983.
The only certain thing is that Albania was the most isolated country in Europe before 1989, so if there was any traffic with the outside world, it must have been very stricly limited and controlled, maybe like North Korea today.
Enver Hoxa was crazy and paranoid, he built thousands of bunkers across the country and at the beginning of Cold War even bombed and sank some Western ships passing too close to Albanian coast.
I have seen the bunkers myself, they exist even today, I guess their demolition is expensive so they stay like that.

BEEN IN:

Kunagi liked this post
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #15320
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Thats true. They still exist and recently a new museum in Tirana opened about the bunkers and the nightmare that albanians had to endure for so many years. Its funny to examine the traces today.. the newspaper as info source is very popular still and its part of the code that you buy it everyday even at the beaches from sellers. Another thing is that pretty much all albanians are fluent in Italian since they learned it by watching TV. No other international tv channels were available. The passion for Italy is extremely big among albanians and I dont know exactly why.
Lastly the good thing about the communistic time is that it made albanian people very hospitable. I mean very very hospitable. Its almost heartbreaking to experience it and its virtually impossible not to be curious. Pretty much like Sarajevo but in a slightly different way.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways