daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #15561
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
How does it look like now?
Very likely:

https://www.google.es/maps/@31.33282...!7i3328!8i1664

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #15562
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
How does it look like now?
Left side Mexico, right side USA:

http://www.vmexicoalmaximo.com/sonor...dos-unidos.jpg

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

SRC_100 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #15563
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And doesn't Guatemala actually claim Belize's territory, so there might be a bit of a bad relationship, at least at the official level?
Well, it's a little hard to explain the relationship between both countries. You can see a light info about this situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize...torial_dispute

Old July 15th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #15564
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
Nogales (USA/MEX) c. 1915

Nogales_Ambos-ca-1915
by arizonahispana, en Flickr
Definitely at that time crossing the border was easier...
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #15565
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

In that decades Pancho Villa atacked Columbus, New Mexico.

Old July 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #15566
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Question inspired by a recent post in the Hungary forum; sorry if it's already been asked.

Are there places in Europe (or elsewhere) where a motorway/freeway/whatever crosses an international border, from what we'll call country A to country B, then soon crosses back into A without having any exits and the like in B, so that it's A's road running on B's territory? (Like Interstate 684's dip into Connecticut*, but involving different countries?)

*https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0913373,-73.7289206,13z

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #15567
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Quote:
Question inspired by a recent post in the Hungary forum; sorry if it's already been asked.

Are there places in Europe (or elsewhere) where a motorway/freeway/whatever crosses an international border, from what we'll call country A to country B, then soon crosses back into A without having any exits and the like in B, so that it's A's road running on B's territory? (Like Interstate 684's dip into Connecticut*, but involving different countries?)

*https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0913373,-73.7289206,13z
Category "whatever":

France's D21B3:
https://goo.gl/maps/u3FeZ4g8GB52

Or D41:
https://goo.gl/maps/AGGNsCK9nj82

I'm sure you'll find some roads crossing international borders without crossroads here:
https://goo.gl/maps/ZxVSUQhGiqo

Penn's Woods liked this post
eeee. está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #15568
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Els Limits - Le Perthus (E-F)

First sign says in Catalan and French, be aware where you are buying parking ticket. French ones are only valid in France and Spanish ones are valid only in Spain (and I guess that in holidays in one country, everyone will park there cos free!!!)

Border is just small wall you have between cars.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #15569
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Are there places in Europe (or elsewhere) where a motorway/freeway/whatever crosses an international border, from what we'll call country A to country B, then soon crosses back into A without having any exits and the like in B, so that it's A's road running on B's territory?
Here's a road closest to a motorway (though technically not one) you'll ever find in Europe, Irish N1 (northbound lanes only) briefly visiting the UK:

https://www.google.ch/maps/@54.09713...3617366,18.08z

Then again, after this point there are no more exits in Ireland, so driving here you'll end up in the UK anyway.

OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #15570
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
Category "whatever":

France's D21B3:
https://goo.gl/maps/u3FeZ4g8GB52

Or D41:
https://goo.gl/maps/AGGNsCK9nj82

I'm sure you'll find some roads crossing international borders without crossroads here:
https://goo.gl/maps/ZxVSUQhGiqo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Els Limits - Le Perthus (E-F)

First sign says in Catalan and French, be aware where you are buying parking ticket. French ones are only valid in France and Spanish ones are valid only in Spain (and I guess that in holidays in one country, everyone will park there cos free!!!)

Border is just small wall you have between cars.
Thanks. I was really thinking major highways. (The post on the Hungarian thread that made me ask this was a new motorway there...on the map it looks as if it may cross briefly into Austria at a couple of spots, although I'm told it doesn't.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #15571
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Another one

Pedestrian area is Spain there until milestone where all is France, asphalt (incluiding parking area) and the another pedestrian area is France.

There are parking-metres only in French side. You have to cross avenue to get a ticket.

In one side of avenue, pharmacies, banks, post service and so on.
In the other one, all shops due to less taxes... you park the car, you take out from the right side and you are crossing border. You buy some bags, put into your car and you are crossing a border again...

You can see milestone here in maps (behind several people in the picture)

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.46354...2!8i6656?hl=es

and look how in one side all is in Catalan and in the other side all is in French.

Old July 16th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #15572
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
and look how in one side all is in Catalan and in the other side all is in French.
I'd expect* businesses in a place like that - where the official language is different on one side of the street than the other - to post signs in both languages. I assume you can actually get service in either language in any of those places, except maybe government offices....

*I'm not saying they should, mind you; or shouldn't, for that matter. But you've really got one population, I imagine, of people who go to the pharmacy on the French side and the supermarket on the Spanish side because that's where the pharmacy and supermarket are; as opposed to two populations who never cross the street....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #15573
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
In Germany, there is a road famous for that: Bundesstraße 258, which is a federal ("trunk") road with a 3 km long piece of it running through Belgian territory. Its Wiki entry is also available in English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesstra%C3%9Fe_258

The piece of B 258 on Belgian soil has no connection to the rest of the Belgian road network. In the past, the handling of accidents was difficult as emergency response had to arrive from Eupen, 14kms away. This was only resolved through a bilateral assistance agreement. Thereafter, German units are allowed to respond, but it is still the Belgian prosecution and court which is competent for any legal procedures.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Penn's Woods, piotr71, CSerpent, SRC_100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #15574
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
I'd expect* businesses in a place like that - where the official language is different on one side of the street than the other - to post signs in both languages. I assume you can actually get service in either language in any of those places, except maybe government offices....

*I'm not saying they should, mind you; or shouldn't, for that matter. But you've really got one population, I imagine, of people who go to the pharmacy on the French side and the supermarket on the Spanish side because that's where the pharmacy and supermarket are; as opposed to two populations who never cross the street....
Matter of opinion... In the signs of picture, only side from Spain is seen. Text is in Catalan and French (not in Spanish!!), and I guess in France would be in French only and sometimes something in Spanish too.

Be sure in supermarkets they will have no problems with language. They use same currency indeed and business is business

(two decades ago, in this place https://www.google.es/maps/@42.80543...2!8i6656?hl=es they were awared to be fined because prices were only in French Francs and law said they were entitled to put in any currency but at least in pesetas. They said they allowed pesetas of couse, but 95% of customers were French... just because 50 m away from border and a sort of duty free shop... never mind, they had to write down all prices in both currencies... or move 50m away. Nowadays it is easy... just in euro. Be sure there will welcome in a perfect French, even there, even in any other boudanry village or so)

Old July 16th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #15575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Matter of opinion... In the signs of picture, only side from Spain is seen. Text is in Catalan and French (not in Spanish!!), and I guess in France would be in French only and sometimes something in Spanish too.

Be sure in supermarkets they will have no problems with language. They use same currency indeed and business is business

(two decades ago, in this place https://www.google.es/maps/@42.80543...2!8i6656?hl=es they were awared to be fined because prices were only in French Francs and law said they were entitled to put in any currency but at least in pesetas. They said they allowed pesetas of couse, but 95% of customers were French... just because 50 m away from border and a sort of duty free shop... never mind, they had to write down all prices in both currencies... or move 50m away. Nowadays it is easy... just in euro. Be sure there will welcome in a perfect French, even there, even in any other boudanry village or so)
I looked at both sides of the street in StreetView. Even saw a French post office.

And it makes sense they'd be required to post prices in the currency that's legal for the country in; using the other country's currency in addition, as a courtesy, is different.*

What was it like before Schengen?

*In the Northeastern U.S., if you get far enough north on roads that have significant traffic to and from Canada, you'll see signs at businesses saying "Canadian dollars accepted at par." (Maybe even in French.) "At par" means if the price on something is, say $2.00, and all you have on you is Canadian, you can pay $2.00 Canadian for it. Which is a good deal at the moment for traveling Canadians, not for the businesses....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #15576
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

There were no buildings before Schengen treaty.

Former booths are just some metres before... and I do not know why (picture taken on summer 2015) there are oficers on Spanish side... they are the only Spanish buildings "after booths" (providing new border passes don't have booths).

Both booths, French and Spanish, are in Spanish territory, maybe for 20 metres, later, lane through north remains in Spain and through south is yet in France and later, all avenue will be in France except buildings in right side.

About currencies, they always upgraded to next one. It could be a messy-blessy... but should any price would be 14,78 French Francs, they will set 15 or so. And they weren't shifting everyday according to daily currency exchange. They often took this money and went to France for a bank account and, when enough money, ask for a bank transfer in order to minimize bank cost (keeping a lot of money in the shop would be dangerous and going everyday with Francs to their bank would mean a daily eyxchange fee). This is why they are happy if you pay with credit card.
In addition, I have seen (with euro) a petrol station not far from border with specific data payers for French credit cards. I guess fees for cards would be station and nowadays, a bank transfer in euro between EU banks is free.

Old July 16th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #15577
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Slovenian road 402 crosses for 1.5 km into Italy, without connections with Italian roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.9807006,13.6281613,15z
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #15578
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

why it remains fenced?

Old July 16th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #15579
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Slovenian road 402 crosses for 1.5 km into Italy, without connections with Italian roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.9807006,13.6281613,15z
Photography is not allowed on this stretch.
Old July 16th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #15580
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

There is streetview though
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways