daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #15601
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87650

The tomb of Suleyman Shah, a Turkish enclave in Syrian Territory

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

cinxxx, pai nosso, SRC_100, CSerpent liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2017, 03:25 AM   #15602
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

Wasn't this place evacuated/abandoned by the Turks just before the rise of IS?
Does anyone know what the current situation is?
Tachi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:52 AM   #15603
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7663

Whatever the state, it will have to be relocated - there's no place for that in New Syria
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #15604
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9973

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Matter of opinion... In the signs of picture, only side from Spain is seen. Text is in Catalan and French (not in Spanish!!),
Yeah, I never got how Catalan authorities can put up signage in just one of the official languages and get away with it (literally everywhere). In Euskadi, where I Erasmus-ed, they are very particular about such things and signage is bilingual in all places.

VITORIA MAN liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:04 AM   #15605
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Yeah, I never got how Catalan authorities can put up signage in just one of the official languages and get away with it (literally everywhere). In Euskadi, where I Erasmus-ed, they are very particular about such things and signage is bilingual in all places.

Is it the authorities or private businesses? I know that in both Belgium and Quebec different rules apply to signage put up by the government and by other parties. (And in Quebec, it's French-only on provincial and local government facilities, bilingual on Federal ones. Which - to get back to roads - leads to the phenomenon of signs switching from French-only to bilingual when you come onto the Champlain Bridge, which crosses the Saint Lawrence at Montreal, and certain approaches, then back to French-only when you leave, while otherwise complying with Quebec's sign format.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Attus liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:27 AM   #15606
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Political issues.

BTW, it is compulsory to have all road signs at least in Spanish. Should it is not, you can say you haven't understood and will win in court.

What it happens is that 99,99% of those non-bilingual signs are for a specific restriction.

Let's suppose. A sign that says, park forbidden, and below written, "only in Wednesday".

Should you "understand" that sentence even if not in Spanish, ok, park anyday except in Wednesday. Should you do not understand... just do not park there. Text doesn't mean anything for you and just take care of sign (which you will understand).

Therefore, as far as most of texts are to point anything not so hard than signal... it is your issue to understand or do not them...

In the case of sign, they play in this way... two besides parking-metres, one in each country, maybe in each language or maybe you can choose several languages. They just remember in which country you are and saying that tickets are only valid there. You can understand or you can get a map to see it and be awared that parking companies have contract in one or other country, even located together.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:37 PM   #15607
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Is there a way to cross between Spain and Portugal over the Guariana river in the south besides the Ponte Internacional do Guadiana?
Do you have to pay toll for the short motorway stretch over the bridge when crossing into Spain? Same question just crossing into Portugal?

I see there is another bridge at Pomarão but this means a really long detour.

I also see there is a ferry at Ayamonte. How much does it cost to cross by car?

Last edited by cinxxx; July 22nd, 2017 at 12:23 AM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:28 AM   #15608
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Is there a way to cross between Spain and Portugal over the Guadiana river in the south besides the Ponte Internacional do Guadiana?
Yes, of course:

http://www.limitezero.com/en/

Quote:
Do you have to pay toll for the short motorway stretch over the bridge when crossing into Spain? Same question just crossing into Portugal?
The Spanish motorway (A-49) is toll free. While the Portuguese motorway (A22) has electronic tolls, you don't need to pay if you leave it at the first exit after the border (Castro Marim).

Quote:
I see there is another bridge at Pomarão but this means a really long detour.
That bridge is not on the Guadiana river, but on the Chanza/Chança river. From Pomarão upstream the Guadiana flows entirely within Portugal.

Quote:
I also see there is a ferry at Ayamonte. How much does it cost to cross by car?
The ferry is only for pedestrians (€1.9), bikes (€3.1) and motorbikes (€3.9). It's quite a small ferry:

http://transportefluvialguadiana.sac...a.es/idioma/es

Bertolt Brecht

cinxxx, x-type, SRC_100 liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:06 AM   #15609
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

The zip line is actually really cool.
I asked the question because we will be in the area first week of January. Are they still doing it then or is it just a seasonal activity? I also didn't find a schedule for this
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:25 AM   #15610
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3899

I've just checked their website (where you can book the activity for a particular date and time) and unfortunately they're closed between the second week of December and late March.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:26 PM   #15611
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some statistics: first half of 2017, number of people trying to illegaly enter or exit Romania:
- 1437 people entering Romania (mostly coming from Serbia)
- 1037 people exiting Romania (mostly trying to cross towards Hungary)

In the first half of last year there were 374 respectively 133.

Most of the people were coming from these countries: Irak, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, India, Kosovo, Bangladesh and Palestine.

Press article in Romanian here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:20 PM   #15612
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Some statistics: first half of 2017, number of people trying to illegaly enter or exit Romania:
How have they counted them?

Seriously, I think it's only the number of catched people. The actual number is usually (much) higher...
The increase might be caused by a higher number of illegal crossings but it could also be caused by an improved observation, e.g. more border patrol men...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #15613
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
How have they counted them?

Seriously, I think it's only the number of catched people. The actual number is usually (much) higher...
Of course, these figures will be the known number of people.
It's no different in Hungary where police.hu publishes the "number of migrants" for every day. "Number of migrants" is the number of intercepted illegal entrants. Especially before the completed border fence, there were masses of non-stopped illegals in addition to those figuring in the statistics.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #15614
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Hungarian army guarding border with the Republic of Serbian Krajina somewhere between 1991 and 1995:

You can notice today's border crossing Udvar (H)-Duboševica (HR) in the end of video.

Verso, SRC_100, Corvinus, piotr71 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #15615
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

LOL
A "Republic" and a border.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

x-type liked this post
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #15616
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

This one is also interesting: Nowadays the border crossing Maljevac between Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

During the war this was the border between 2 breakup states: Republika Srpska Krajina (declared independent from Croatia) and Zapadna Bosna (West Bosnia, declared indepenent from Bosnia-Herzegovina).

Verso, SRC_100 liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #15617
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
The tomb of Suleyman Shah, a Turkish enclave in Syrian Territory
Speaking of which, here is its French equivalent (if I may say so ) in St. Helena :

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
[...] a part of this British overseas territory is directly managed/owned by the French government (a bit like an embassy/consulate), since the Queen Victoria allowed her friend Napoleon III to buy this ground & Longwood House in order to create a memorial :

Nikkodemo, Verso liked this post

Last edited by parcdesprinces; July 24th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 03:27 AM   #15618
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is it the authorities or private businesses? I know that in both Belgium and Quebec different rules apply to signage put up by the government and by other parties. (And in Quebec, it's French-only on provincial and local government facilities, bilingual on Federal ones. Which - to get back to roads - leads to the phenomenon of signs switching from French-only to bilingual when you come onto the Champlain Bridge, which crosses the Saint Lawrence at Montreal, and certain approaches, then back to French-only when you leave, while otherwise complying with Quebec's sign format.)
those bilingual signs are owned and maintained by the Federal government via the Federal Bridge Corporation much as is the Champlain bridge in its entirety and the approaches to it and so must abide the Official Languages Act. There is a similar but less obvious situation at the Burlington Bay Lift Bridge between Hamilton Beach and Burlington, Ont.

Meanwhile in Quebec municipalities can post bilingual signs, but only if they are a designated bilingual municipality which requires a certain population of anglophones (min. 20% ?) It was a sore point during the provincially-driven merger of the Montreal Island municipalities into the City of Montreal (slogan "une ile, une ville") since generally anglophone bilingual suburbs of the West Island would have lost that status. It was such that the next provincial government allowed the cities to hold referenda on demerging from the City of Montreal, which many did (e.g. Pointe-Claire, Kirkland, Beaconsfield...)

Penn's Woods, CSerpent liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #15619
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Hungarian army guarding border with the Republic of Serbian Krajina somewhere between 1991 and 1995:

You can notice today's border crossing Udvar (H)-Duboševica (HR) in the end of video.
I rememeber that in Mohács many hungarians were killed because of war in Slavonja, in this town is even a monument commemorating the victims of falling bombs and/or missiles. I can`t rememeber how many Hungarians were killed in Mohács? Why only after this tragic event, the Hungarian government sent troops to this region? For me it is incomprehensible.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #15620
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Was it possible to cross the border between Hungary and Krajina?

Tags
highways, motorways