daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #15741
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I have held car insurance with three different companies in the UK, none of them gave me a green card, just a piece of paper I had to print off telling me where the insurance was valid. Two of them allowed me to drive in the EU+EFTA and Andorra etc. and the other one allowed me to drive in Serbia as well.
why don't they issue green card automatically in GB?

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #15742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

They don't issue those in the Netherlands automatically either. You have to ask for a copy since a few years.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #15743
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Yes if you go to Balkan countries you need it. Otherwise you will have to pay scam fees on the site.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #15744
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I am going to Andorra in next weeks.
I hereby say I haven't glanced my green card. Except for taxes and mobile, even if out of EU and Schengen, for a EU citizen going there as tourist it is hard to know you are out of EU because they apply for all.

Well, bank dispenshers aren't free because they will be "foreign banks" wherever you come and these issues... but they really try to apply to all treatments as much as possible.

As a hint... national football matches are recorded by a Spanish payTV who sells broadcasting to a local company.
They have a good basketball team that playes in first league in Spain as another team.

P.S. about border crossing... yesterday there was a Feroe Islands - Andorra match
Can anyone look for best travel option, please?????

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #15745
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post

P.S. about border crossing... yesterday there was a Feroe Islands - Andorra match
Can anyone look for best travel option, please?????
there are direct seasonal flights between Faroe Islands and Barcelona
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #15746
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I guess there aren't

(Toulouse airport can be hold, it is within a similar distance)

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #15747
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Alserrod, about Andorra - would you say that it's like "going abroad" for you?

Speaking of Andorra, there is one thing that catches out non-EU citizens - it's not part of Schengen. I've heard of people with single-entry visas getting caught there by the Spanish and French border police, particularly Russians and Chinese.

I actually have a Polish border guard friend who was seconded to the Andorran border with the Spanish police, and the Spanish were kind enough to arrange some short placements with the Andorran and French border police too. What he noticed was that Andorra had very little procedures in place to deal with border crossing issues - if there was a question over entry, the decision was simply delegated to the manager on duty at the border crossing with very few guidelines.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #15748
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I could state that they fill in all websites about tourism even bank pages!!! (11% of their economy). Due to it is a country with only two borders and between mountains, it is very easy to "close" the country if needed. I remember a murder a long time ago. It was clear who was the assasin but before making more questions they closed borders for several hours... and enough to close two of them (and strongly easy to control people doing trekking)

Even it is out of Schengen treaty they say you will require same documentation for arriving to France or Spain, therefore, lack of passport controls.
Andorran police has lack of procedures, but should anyone enters there, it will be very easy to find it. It is so small that hard to be hidden there. About freights they only worry on trucks or so to control them.

Spanish or French police can stop a citizen in the border. Nowadays... I really do not know which documentation is required to take out both countries. They should required the same to quit the country for any other one that accepts a single ID card (I guess there would be five times more French, Spanish and Portuguese ID cards rather than Andorran at the same time).
It could be just a control about people going through that custom but, anyway... I am pretty sure that Spanish and French police have officers inside the country to have a look to banks because they take a lot of money laundriers in the border back home.

When I said, hard to see that you are in a different country... same currency, never mind which language you speak, they will answer you (they learn French in schools but nothing about Spanish and have no mistakes, even if not studying grammar!!), even for French or Spanish, same post service (both countries operate there). Sometime same companies and you must be aware of using cash dispensers (use credit card...), using mobiles (strooooooongly expensive) or taxes for goods back home.

National health service is only for people working there but for emergencies even not find you crossed a border... and so on.

Old September 5th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #15749
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
inside the country to have a look to banks because they take a lot of money laundriers in the border back home.
Sounds like Balkan. We have all those jewelry stuff operational here

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:26 AM   #15750
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I could state that they fill in all websites about tourism even bank pages!!! (11% of their economy). Due to it is a country with only two borders and between mountains, it is very easy to "close" the country if needed. I remember a murder a long time ago. It was clear who was the assasin but before making more questions they closed borders for several hours... and enough to close two of them (and strongly easy to control people doing trekking)

Even it is out of Schengen treaty they say you will require same documentation for arriving to France or Spain, therefore, lack of passport controls.
Andorran police has lack of procedures, but should anyone enters there, it will be very easy to find it. It is so small that hard to be hidden there. About freights they only worry on trucks or so to control them.

Spanish or French police can stop a citizen in the border. Nowadays... I really do not know which documentation is required to take out both countries. They should required the same to quit the country for any other one that accepts a single ID card (I guess there would be five times more French, Spanish and Portuguese ID cards rather than Andorran at the same time).
It could be just a control about people going through that custom but, anyway... I am pretty sure that Spanish and French police have officers inside the country to have a look to banks because they take a lot of money laundriers in the border back home.

When I said, hard to see that you are in a different country... same currency, never mind which language you speak, they will answer you (they learn French in schools but nothing about Spanish and have no mistakes, even if not studying grammar!!), even for French or Spanish, same post service (both countries operate there). Sometime same companies and you must be aware of using cash dispensers (use credit card...), using mobiles (strooooooongly expensive) or taxes for goods back home.

National health service is only for people working there but for emergencies even not find you crossed a border... and so on.
Are you sure about the mobile charges?

Telenor Hungary says Andorra belongs to the EU roaming.
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #15751
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespafrederic View Post
Are you sure about the mobile charges?

Telenor Hungary says Andorra belongs to the EU roaming.
It is compulsory to have free roaming inside EU. After there each company will deal about which countries will apply too.
In Spain, for instance, the cheapest company applies it only for EU. Other ones for more countries and sometimes it is matter of marketing. For instance, in Spain they always join Norway in the pack. Who goes to Norway?. Few people and almost all of them will have much money. It can deserve to offer it if you can keep more customers.
But I guess that companies will have to pay extra cost for it. And for a neighbour country it will be very expensive for them.

Main company in Spain offers a "data pack" of 9 euro/day!!!! and it makes cheaper than before. Other ones can be expensive and I guess that for French companies will be similar.

Obviously nowadays if you live in X you can ask for a mobile in Y and free roaming... but depending of origin of most of your calls... it could be quite expensive for you

Old September 5th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #15752
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

Norway with Iceland and Liechtenstein afaik signed the roam like home agreement together with the EU, that's why they are put together.
Switzerland example didn't.
Also not included in the package are the Faroe Islands, Greenland, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Monaco (all of them not part of the EU), North Cyprus.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #15753
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

by the way... is it possible to connect to a French network inside Monaco? I guess at least not far from borders...

Old September 5th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #15754
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

you could try to force choosing your network manually and get the best french network before crossing the border. If you have luck it will still work inside Monaco. I used this method to roam on Croatian network in Bosnia near the border
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #15755
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3963

Quote:
When I said, hard to see that you are in a different country... same currency, never mind which language you speak, they will answer you (they learn French in schools but nothing about Spanish and have no mistakes, even if not studying grammar!!)
First time I visited Andorra, I tried to speak in Catalan to everyone, just to check by myself the situation of a country whose only official language is Catalan. And guess what? Several people answered to me in Spanish.

In cultural aspects, Andorra is no different to any other Catalan valley of the Pyrenees. You notice you're in another country for all the reasons you mention, and because it's obviously wealthier than any other remote valley in the Pyrenees. Andorrans have Barcelona as their main reference city, with Toulouse playing a secondary role.

But on top of that, people are mostly bilingual Catalan and Spanish, and given the huge amount of Spanish and Portuguese workers, there are many residents in Andorra who don't speak Catalan at all. Regarding French, people may study it at school, but it's clearly not a language you hear on the streets, with the exception of French tourists, of course. Maybe in the ski resorts near the French border it's more common to hear it, but in the capital city, Andorra la Vella, it's not.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #15756
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Is Catalan your first language? If not, could people have heard a Spanish accent and responded to you in Spanish to be polite? That happens to me a lot when I try to speak French in Montreal....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #15757
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Does the french language spoken in canada differ from one spoken in france?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #15758
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7700

Of course, its more archaic...sometimes, the French will make fun of Quebecois accents.
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #15759
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is Catalan your first language?
Yes, it is, together with Spanish.

I must say some of the people answering me in Spanish were clearly of southern Spanish origin (their accent was unmistakable), although they lived and worked in Andorra.

People of 100% Andorran origin (if there are still some of them left) would have answered in Catalan when asked in Catalan, for sure. But nowadays most people living in Andorra are of Spanish and Portuguese origin. I'd say the Andorran population is even more mixed and multicultural than that of any Catalan valley in the Pyrenees where there are less job opportunities.

Even here in Barcelona all the people I've met from Andorra are of Spanish origin. They were born there and hold Andorran citizenship, but their parents were Spanish nationals (even from the town across the border ) who emigrated there to work and ended up acquiring Andorran citizenship (although holding at the same time Spanish passports to travel freely around the world).

Bertolt Brecht

Penn's Woods liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #15760
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is Catalan your first language? If not, could people have heard a Spanish accent and responded to you in Spanish to be polite? That happens to me a lot when I try to speak French in Montreal....
I guess they are so used that:

- half of tourists speak Spanish (or more)
- part of population doesn't speak Catalan correctly. I have been there in some factories and all documentation for workers was in Spanish instead of Catalan (almost all were Spanish)

About French... highest paved mountain pass in the Pyreees is... in Andorra and until two decades ago there wasn't a tolled tunnel.

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.54345...2!8i6656?hl=es

Black car is exactly in the border. After that point you can find a lot of shops because it is the only corner in the country that French can reach without crossing tunnel or mountain pass. They can cross border and using banks or duty free shops.

BTW... due to logistics, nowadays it deserves to spend money only for real great amount of money. In the past, maybe a camera or so could be cheapest because taxes but nowadays trucks must go to "logistic points" and change to vans to approach shops which are in little streets. You will find some of most well-known marks in the world and almost duty free... but a long journey to reach there.

I glanced about mobile devices and found nothing cheaper than in Spain.

(and warranty is valid only if you go back to Andorra to repair it)

Tags
highways, motorways