daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #15781
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Does anybody have recent photos of Kosovo borders? I am just curious how it looks like.
I was in Kosovo two months ago. I crossed the border with ID only and there were many tourists from Europe there... From my home the border is 20 minutes drive.

Between MKD and RKS there are currently two crossings operational. There is however third road connection that dates back 40 years and its blocked with barriers and its not operational.

This is Hani i Elezit

You can see the Albanian flag is also waving on every crossing.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...C_wQoioIgwEwDg

On the crossings with MKD only Kosovo is controlling the border there are no more UN and other troops there they departed few years ago... But on the border with Serbia which is not recognized the situation is very different.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

piotr71 liked this post
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #15782
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Initially even Italian communists wanted Trieste to join the SFRY as its 7th federate republic.
There was a joke in those times:
It is good that Trieste is part of Italy. Otherwise, Yugoslav citizens would have to go farther to Venice to shopping.

italystf, marciomaco liked this post
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #15783
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.english.dept View Post
What I can't understand is why on earth Washington and Ottawa have not opened their border much in the way it is done over in the European Union. I'm not saying that everything has to change but an open border for Canadians and Americans to travel and work. No currency changes and all the stuff that may be of concern to some...just an open door policy between nationals of the two countries.
Excuse me, by Athens you mean Athens, Greene County, New York State, USA?

And by Venice in my previous post I didn't mean Venice, Cayuga County, New York State, USA, but Venice, Republic of Italy, EU.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #15784
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
There was a joke in those times:
It is good that Trieste is part of Italy. Otherwise, Yugoslav citizens would have to go farther to Venice to shopping.
According to local folklore (they made a documentary recently), every Saturday Trieste (especially the market in Piazza Ponterosso) was full of people from all over Yugoslavia who went there to buy many things that weren't sold in their country, but especially one thing: jeans. Aparently they liked them very much, because they were a symbol of high living standards of the West.
People from Trieste on one hand were happy because they made a lot of business, but on the other this flow of people created some problems: cars and buses were parked everywhere in the city, Yugoslav people were seen as poor, rude and dirty and many people had bad feelings against Yugoslavia because of 1945 events.
Many people used to wear several layers of clothes one above the other to hide them to custom officers. And the roads leading from Trieste to the border had to be cleaned from discarded old clothes and packaging of new clothes.
One Saturday morning in the summer of 1991 people were surprised to see the centre of Trieste more quiet than usual. It was the day when the border was closed because of the war.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

darko06, Kunagi liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #15785
Junkie
Supervisor

That is true and everyone knows that. Italy was West for us for decades and today the situation is still in difference, but it's not like those times. In those times everyone caught train to go to Trst on small shopping. Older generations speak about that all the time.
But you must know that YU had very big market and the advantage was that we had many West products here. It was not like in Russia.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #15786
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

That is true and everyone knows that. Italy was West for us for decades and today the situation is still in difference, but it's not like those times. In those times everyone caught train to go to Trst on small shopping. Older generations speak about that all the time.
But you must know that YU had very big market and the advantage was that we had many West products here. It was not like in Russia.
The awkward moment when you realizes that Yugoslavia was the West in the perspective of your country

Btw. thanks for Kosovo. Have you ever crossed the RKS-SRB border?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #15787
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
The awkward moment when you realizes that Yugoslavia was the West in the perspective of your country

Dude, I said the situation today is different that we have all the West products here just like they have it in Italy but the economy is small, so

And, no I haven't but I know many Serbs who regularly drive here to cross from here, and they are even not trying to cross directly from Serbia to Kosovo.

BEEN IN:
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #15788
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Dude, I said the situation today is different that we have all the West products here just like they have it in Italy but the economy is small, so

And, no I haven't but I know many Serbs who regularly drive here to cross from here, and they are even not trying to cross directly from Serbia to Kosovo.
West products or "west" products?
https://spectator.sme.sk/c/20613046/...-eu-table.html

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #15789
italystf

Quote:

Google Maps doesn't route through SRB-RKS border, although I've seen on the internet photos of that border (provincial boundary for Serbs) with traffic.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #15790
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Bangladesh and, according to google, India ahead

Seems no kind of fence

https://www.google.es/maps/@23.15810...2!8i6656?hl=es

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #15791
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

Quote:
But how was it with the prices? Could you exchange your currency to dollars or Italian liras without problems, and did your earnings from Yugoslavia have any value in Italy?

In Poland it wasn't so that you couldn't buy western products at all. You could buy them in special shops (the name of which was an acronym standing for... "internal export enterprise"), in which you had to pay with dollars. And our currency was worth almost nothing in dollars.

By the way, many of our products, especially concerning e.g. consumer electronics or cars, were produced on western licenses - but they were usually old models, and the quality of manufacturing in Poland was rather worse. For example, some Polish cassette or reel-to-reel music players were actually old models of the Grundig company.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #15792
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9923

Quote:
, Voloda...
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #15793
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
But how was it with the prices? Could you exchange your currency to dollars or Italian liras without problems, and did your earnings from Yugoslavia have any value in Italy?

In Poland it wasn't so that you couldn't buy western products at all. You could buy them in special shops (the name of which was an acronym standing for... "internal export enterprise"), in which you had to pay with dollars. And our currency was worth almost nothing in dollars.

By the way, many of our products, especially concerning e.g. consumer electronics or cars, were produced on western licenses - but they were usually old models, and the quality of manufacturing in Poland was rather worse. For example, some Polish cassette or reel-to-reel music players were actually old models of the Grundig company.
For some time after the Second world war, it was forbidden to have savings in foreign currency. If you inherited something from abroad at those time, state would confiscate your inheritance and in exchange you were entitled to spend that amount on goods produced in Yugoslavia (although in real value of the money).

After some time, the ban was lifted, especially when lots of people become "gastarbeiters".

At that later time, you could legally earn, save or exchange foreign currency to dinars, but in order to buy foreign currency according to the official exchange rate you had to have certificate that you need those money for official purposes. Black market was, however, widespread but official exchange rate did not vary significantly (as for instance was the case between DDR marks and GDR marks or in Cuba today with major subsidy for domestic industry made with national peso/convertible peso system).

Wages was rather low comparing to present day but the reason for that was to foster domestic economy and export. Everything made in Yugoslavia was cheap so PPP was still rather high.

As in Poland, there was lot of licensed goods and jeans was also made in Yugoslavia - Levi's in Varteks Varaždin and Wrangler somewhere in Macedonia.
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #15794
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Google Maps doesn't route through SRB-RKS border, although I've seen on the internet photos of that border (provincial boundary for Serbs) with traffic.
Anybody who entered Serbia can enter Kosovo, there is absolutely no problem doing that. Other than possible long waits (as other borders too) and having to buy the car insurance after entering. Serbs can travel to Kosovo and Kosovars can travel to Serbia very easily, they only have to apply for temporary SRB license plates when entering Serbia. No visas or whatever needed, just ID card.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #15795
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1615

There are people that drive up from Mexico. I personally have seen several in both Southern California all the way up to Vancouver, BC. The thing with many plates from Mexico is that they may resemble a state or province in color/colors and/or fonts. Some of the older ones look exactly like California plates for example. Others I've seen have the same fonts like South Dakota's while others resemble New York, Oregon and Pennsylvania orange colored plates of a few decades ago. And the list goes on. You can view license plates/tags online at worldlicenseplates.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I never seen any Mexican plates while in California (even Southern Cali)... shocked!
nick.english.dept está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #15796
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1615

San Diego's light rail takes you right up to the San Ysidro border crossing just by the actual border.
It stops on the US side. You get off...walk thru the border and into Tijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seattle and Vancouver are something like 140 miles apart.

San Diego and Tijuana, on the other hand, are more like a single urban area. There's a light rail service between San Diego and the border known as the Tijuana Trolley and has been for a long time; whether it actually crosses the border I don't know. (Closest I've ever been to Mexico is Disneyland.)
nick.english.dept está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #15797
italystf

Yugoslav dinars were legally exchangeable in Italy. Yugoslav customers in Trieste often paid directly with dinars, and the shoopkeepers provided to exchange them in banks.

Alex_ZR, Verso liked this post
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #15798
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

Yeah - but how much could you buy in Italy for your typical salary from Yugoslavia?

In Poland it was also illegal to have dollars (and other western currencies) in the Stalin era, from what I have read. There was something called "dollar vouchers" which were paid out to the people getting money from the west (inheritance, sailors, foreign pensions etc.) instead of normal money. And they could buy western goods for them in special shops.

Later, it was also not allowed, but the government did not control it so strictly, it became also allowed to sell those vouchers. So people wanting to sell or buy dollars were announcing they want to sell or buy the dollar vouchers. At least from what I have read.

If someone from Poland went to the west (which wasn't easy but wasn't impossible) and wanted to bring something from there, it was common to take some goods from Poland and sell them there, otherwise you just couldn't afford the western goods.

There is some more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Towarowy_PeKaO
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #15799
italystf

My father has visited Czechoslovakia (Prague and Bratislava) in 1985. Outside major touristic sites and big hotels, a lot of local people offered to exchange Western tourists' hard currency (usually DM or USD, exchanging for example Italian lire was less easy/convenient) for local currency. It was for them a very profitable way to get hard currency.
Also it was not possible to get Czechoslovak currency in Italy. You had to exchange lire into DM or USD in Italy, and then exchange them (legally or illegally) in CZ.

Something similar still happen in Cuba. Restaurant and hotel workers who get tips by tourists in USD or € or exchange tourists' currency earn more than doctors paid by the state in local currency.

darko06 liked this post
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #15800
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:

The same for me all the Hungarians was going to Subotica (Szabadka) to buy jeans before 1990....
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways