daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #15941
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
AFAIK, Kosovo used Marc, didn't they?
Did Kosovo existed back then? I mean it was part or Serbia/Yugoslavia, wasn't it?
(oh...and it still is according to numerous countries at the UN)

FabriFlorence liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #15942
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Bosnia still uses the Mark.

The 4th Bulgarian Lev was effectively the Mark as they were pegged 1:1.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #15943
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Did Kosovo existed back then? I mean it was part or Serbia/Yugoslavia, wasn't it?
(oh...and it still is according to numerous countries at the UN)

UNMIK administration introduced German mark as currency in Kosovo in 1999. Yugoslav/Serbian dinar continued to be used in Serbian majority northern part of Kosovo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
Bosnia still uses the Mark.

The 4th Bulgarian Lev was effectively the Mark as they were pegged 1:1.
Bosnian marka was pegged to German mark at 1:1, which continued to be 1 EUR=1.95 BAM.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #15944
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Kosovo again... please don't create the situation that will force mods to close this thread again.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

bogdymol liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #15945
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

was me chatting about currencies and borders. Next time I will use Ecuador and dollar, for instance.
Sorry

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Penn's Woods liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #15946
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Andorra used Franc and Peseta despite no agreement without French or Spanish bank

BTW, maybe unique country with two official currencies. Usually most of prices and accountability in pesetas but exchange rate was free.

they decided to use euro only one year before peseta and franc were to dissapear.

AFAIK, Kosovo used Marc, didn't they?
I didn't know that Andorra has two national currencies. That's a big LOL

I want to ask about those of you who cross regularly borders, are there booths for changing currencies?

For example I once saw at the entrance in Hungary booths for changing national currencies, but they use also Serbian dinar, Euro and Dollars...

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #15947
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

I found that I could not use HUF when going from RO to H, they insisted on EURO. HUF or RON would not be accepted by those selling vignettes.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #15948
italystf

Quote:
I found that I could not use HUF when going from RO to H, they insisted on EURO. HUF or RON would not be accepted by those selling vignettes.
That's very strange, since euro is not legal tender neither in Hungary nor in Romania.
About countries that use more than one currency, there are Cuba and Zimbabwe.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #15949
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

I want to ask about those of you who cross regularly borders, are there booths for changing currencies?

For example I once saw at the entrance in Hungary booths for changing national currencies, but they use also Serbian dinar, Euro and Dollars...
On a trip to Canada in 1990, I exchanged my remaining U.S. cash at an exchange office (Thomas Cook or Deak Perera) in Buffalo, New York, in the morning, then got cash from an ATM in Toronto that afternoon. The rate was much better at the ATM, so ever since then I've relied on ATMs when I'm abroad.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #15950
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
But are we talking about official usage of two currencies, or using a foreign one because the local one is unusable due to hyperinflation?

Some people in Poland, going abroad frequently or for a longer time, or often doing shopping abroad (e.g. on AliExpress), just open an extra account in foreign currency (EUR, USD) in a Polish bank. And then exchange the money online. Which is yet cheaper than doing it in banks, exchange offices or by using their debit/credit cards abroad.

I have one in EUR because I was for a year in Germany. The account costs me nothing, the only cost is, if I remember well, 5 EUR yearly for the debit card (although actually, as I practically don't use this account now, I could suspend the card and then pay absolutely nothing). Withdrawals from all the ATMs in EU (not sure if in the world) are without commission.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #15951
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I am well aware of this. It's a typical eastern scam so that you pay more for the vignette. It helps them that nobody ever checks these businesess.

The solution is to either buy the vignette from a Hungarian petrol station (petrol stations abroad like in Romania or Austria charge a comission), or to buy it online from the official website (other websites charge you comission).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #15952
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
On a trip to Canada in 1990, I exchanged my remaining U.S. cash at an exchange office (Thomas Cook or Deak Perera) in Buffalo, New York, in the morning, then got cash from an ATM in Toronto that afternoon. The rate was much better at the ATM, so ever since then I've relied on ATMs when I'm abroad.
In Europe generally situation with ATM's is very complex because of many countries and different policies. I don't know much about west Europe BUT:
For example in my country which is relatively tiny by its size there are only a few banks, and there are two of them who have chains around Europe. So If I go to different country in the region, I get to use their ATM's with their local bank and I got no commission.
For example it happened to me many times to withdraw cash from different local ATM and the commission was sky high when I got back home. So I use only on site terminals but almost no ATM's when I go abroad.

About the borders, it is really tough sometimes when you dont have local currency and there are many countries that dont use Euro. There are really many of them so on the border they do scam with low rates or there is no possibility to change.

For petrol after the border you can use credit card, but for some snack or so its maybe better to pay in cash.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #15953
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

That's true. You do need to take fees into account these days.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #15954
Junkie
Supervisor

About Euros now, they are circulating almost everywhere. Here they are circulating and it is common to pay in Euros for many things or when the seller don't give any bills... It is really funny one time when I was in Bulgaria I haven't any BGN and I used 10 cents in automats for transportation tickets

BEEN IN:
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #15955
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I link a wikipedia web in Spanish since translation??? into English is about another subject

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneda_andorrana

They say that both Franc and Peseta were used (they do not say "legal") in Andorra but all official budgets were in Pesetas.

First time I was in Andorra was before euro and in the capital (10 km valleydown to Spain and 25 summit-up to France) was in Pesetas except one or two shops with both currencies written.

But Franc was accepted as same as Peseta with no problems. Any shop had to provide you either price in Francs or Pesetas with no charge and banks will accept them (and citizens could have two accounts to avoid exchange rates down or up, one account in Pesetas and another one in Francs in the same bank).

For postal service, either French and Spanish give service to the whole country and it is quite common to see both mailboxes together. Depending of service (French stamp or Spanish stamp) they have to introduce letter in one or another mailbox.

Andorran letters are considered "national mail" even for French and for Spanish post service.
This means:
- A letter to Spain, Spanish service
- A letter to France, French service
- A national letter, Spanish service (stamp is cheaper than French one and service is the same)
- A letter to another country... I would say that Spanish one but had to compare country per country.

There was a while that national letters in France were more expensive than international letters within EU in Spain, thus everyone used Spanish service... even to write to France.

Quote:

Yes. One country, one currency.

I remember in main touristic resorts to see several exchange booths. They said commision percentage and buying/selling prices.

This is, 1 euro = 1,178 US dollar and could say
Buy: 1,17
Sell: 1,185
(or more expensive)

Booths were only in main touristic areas (and be sure that just after a border, as many as you need). You could see areas without these kind of booths but out of those areas, maybe you will not.

In any case, banks will buy you any currency (this is, you arrived with another currency and will change in local currency) but wasn't so easy to find currencies.
But banks open 8 to 14 monday to friday only.

Upper and luxurious hotels usually change currency too... but best rate is given by banks.

In the bank where my family operate they used not to have foreing currencies. They had to ask to headquarter. Maybe you were lucky and had them but it was a so messy-blessy with a lot of currencies that they preferred not to have and book as much money you wanted to provide you next day. Should you were hurry, headquarter in city centre had any currency.

I had a relative who work in a small bank in a village. Every six months he received a list of banknotes he could accept. In case someone was expired they pointed him in the list and in case of fake notes, they point in an image where to check. And it was a 1.200 people village and few times (but sometimes) he had to change currencies (no tourism around at all)

But yeah... one country, one currency. I remember going to Portugal. Easy with Escudos (only one currency) but later, going to France, UK, Italy and so on. I remember being in the north of Italy and enter for one day in Austria. We changed Schillings and anything we bought... more expensive because exchange rates for not much money.
That was reason we kept Francs for one year to another and usually coming back we used to change currencies in France to Francs. We will "block" that money until next summer but will save one exchange fee.

Today you can find some booths but not often and... you can go from Portugal to Greece (with a ferry) or so on with the same currency. It is a fact that I think people do not worry as much as it was (and obviously each time you changed, messy-blessy to understank price of choses)

I remember being in Dubrovnik and euro was accepted anywhere (and sometimes dollar) but in my country, it is a long time I do not see any other currency accepted.

Before euro I remember being in a queue in France and... one person wanted to pay in cash with dollars. He had forgotten to change. People was amazed... because in France... Francs and only Francs, as easy as that. He had a Visa and payed with it (thanks it was Visa because AE is not quite introduced in Europe)

Old September 26th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #15956
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

When I was in Germany, I always used Polish coins for shopping carts so as not to waste those from my wallet, to have what to pay with for the shopping.

Same I did for some time in Poland - using Euro coins for the shopping carts.

How does it work in the countries where even 1 unit of their currency is a note (e.g. Romania, where the biggest coin is 0.50 RON)? Do you have only coin-less shopping carts or do your carts just accept 0.50 RON (or even smaller) coins?

Because in Poland, it's typically 1 PLN and 2 PLN what the carts accept, and it's approximately so that 1 PLN = 1 RON.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #15957
italystf

You can use anything for a shopping cart, from a carwash token to a plastic disc (there are some with the brand of the supermarket).
I once found an abandoned cart near a supermarket (in Italy), I took it to its place (hoping to get 0.50€, 1€ or 2€), but there was a Romanian coin inside. As long the diameter is right, any round thing works.
In Italy we usually use 0.50€, 1€ or 2€ (and 500 lire until 2002).
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #15958
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Swiss parking meters often accept Euro coins. The applied exchange rate varies from location to location. Sometimes it is converted at par, which is a bad deal for motorists. In Rapperswil, however, I have seen an applied rate of 1.40 CHF/EUR, obviously a remainder back from when the euro averaged 1.50 francs.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #15959
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That's very strange, since euro is not legal tender neither in Hungary nor in Romania.
About Cuba I found this blog with a lot of interesting information

https://viajes.chavetas.es/guia/cuba...oneda-en-cuba/

Written in Spanish, I will make a short translation and ask for any detail. Will google for it if possible.

Nowadays there are TWO currencies: Cuban Peso (peso cubano CUP) and Converted Cuban Peso (Peso cubano convertible CUC)

In order of policy in last years they are going to join both currencies.

As a history, after independance, they used even Spanish Pesetas for several years, US dollars and also Gold French Francs but in four years they created Peso Cubano, as well as US dollar remained in use in the island.

After revolution Dollar was forbidden (AFAIK, it is forbidden to have any foreing currency for a local citizen. Do not take a taxi and try to pay in dollars, euros or so on because they CANNOT accept it... and fine can be important for them)

This is, local population will use only CUP even you can decide to use CUP or CUC. You will not have problems with CUP. But for instance (and it is not a joke), there are "buses for foreing people". Since they have a great tourism industry, they give better services for foreing. Buses for tourists will be better but will only accept CUP (which can be taken after changing foreing currencies... all money accepted in CUP by them must go to banks)

Blog is quite old... they say that if you pay with a credit cards they are accepted but price will be changed to US dollars, will have a 3% fee (and later your bank could make you pay exchange rates). And... any credit card from US banks were blocked in the island!!!! (blog said it was expected to accept in 2015... this is, two years ago but I do not know).

And... CUP??? (currency for local citizens). As a foreing, you can buy them and use them or just ask for them as a souvenir.

For exchange:

- Best exchange rate in banks

- Official agency CADECA (CAsa DE CAmbio, exchange house) is a little more expensive but blog says that in La Habana airport there are two ones and choose first one with less queue for first CUP.

- Hotels: They can apply a 3 to 6% commision fee and not regulation. Luxurious hotels can be more expensive.

To change any currency into CUP or CUC you need to provide your passport (I guess to check you are not Cuban)

Practice information

- Do not travel to Cuba with US dollars. They have a 10% extra fee. Should you come from US they reccommend you to change before travelling US dollars to euro, to Canadian dollars, UK pounds or whatever... but avoid that 10% fee

- Change always in banks or CADECAs (or in hotels). Despite it is illegal to change in other places they can offer you.... and fake!!!! CUP instead CUC. Are you able to recognise them? (sometimes it is an image and the text written in Spanish only!!!!)

- Change all CUP before leaving Cuba. They will not be changed in any other country (except you wanna some coins or notes as a souvenir)

- use a calculator, specially if you have CUC and CUP.

- and... do not forget to have 25 CUC before leaving as a local tax for leaving the country...

so..... two currencies and strongly recommended to check for more info prior to travel to Cuba!!!!

Old September 27th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #15960
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
When I was in Germany, I always used Polish coins for shopping carts so as not to waste those from my wallet, to have what to pay with for the shopping.

Same I did for some time in Poland - using Euro coins for the shopping carts.

How does it work in the countries where even 1 unit of their currency is a note (e.g. Romania, where the biggest coin is 0.50 RON)? Do you have only coin-less shopping carts or do your carts just accept 0.50 RON (or even smaller) coins?

Because in Poland, it's typically 1 PLN and 2 PLN what the carts accept, and it's approximately so that 1 PLN = 1 RON.

When euro started, there were two countries who "won" to make it simple: Germany and Portugal.

Why??????

More or less....

1 euro = 2 marks

1 euro = 200 escudos

easy to calculate exchange first years until everyone were used to have only euro in mind.

I remember 1 euro = 166, 386 pesetas (thus 1.000 pesetas = 6 euro..... 6,01 indeed, to be faster), not so easy as in Portugal or Germany, but as said, they will take exchange rates for December 31st 1998, whatever they would be.

I remember, in those years being every two month to France and having two wallets "Spanish wallet and French wallet"

* Spanish wallet
- Spanish ID card
- Spanish bank cards
- student, youth and so on cards
- Pesetas
- mobile chip for a Spanish phone company

* French wallet
same but French residence admission, French bank card, all cards related to French university, cinemas, youth discounts and so on, Francs and a mobile chip for a French company. I have the same mobile phone and change chip in the border

Since this June.... we have roaming and I wonder how many of those documents will be down nowadays!!!!

Tags
highways, motorways