daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #16061
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

If you consider plate boundaries to be continent boundaries, then the Baja California peninsula and a part of California, including Los Angeles, are not in North America.

Some time ago I posted a true "border crossing", where North America ends.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

CSerpent liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #16062
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

The traditional division of continents in Poland is:
- Europe - Europa
- Asia - Azja
- Africa - Afryka
- North America - Ameryka Północna
- South America - Ameryka Południowa
- Australia and Oceania - Australia i Oceania

Of course, geographers use different divisions depending on different aspects. Technically speaking, as pieces of land connected with each other, if we ignore the man-made canals (specifically, the Suez Canal), Europe, Asia and Africa are a single continent. From the point of view of physical geography, Europe and Asia are very often considered together as Eurasia - the division between Europe and Asia is usually used due to the cultural differences.

When you say "amerykański" (American), you may mean something having to do with the USA, as well as with the American continent (any of both).

Concerning the oceans:
- Atlantic Ocean (commonly called also "the Atlantic" - Ocean Atlantycki / Atlantyk)
- Pacific Ocean ("the Pacific" - Ocean Spokojny / Pacyfik) - note that the full name is translated as something like "Calm Ocean", the popular short name is a loan word
- Indian Ocean (without any popular name) - Ocean Indyjski

Apart from that, there is either Arctic Ocean (Ocean Arktyczny) or Arctic Sea (Morze Arktyczne). I think most sources now name it Arctic Ocean.

Some sources distinguish also the Southern Ocean (Ocean Południowy), but traditionally, there is no such an ocean.

Another interesting issue is the naming of the eastern regions. In Poland, we distinguish "Close East" (Bliski Wschód) and "Far East" (Daleki Wschód). Our "Close East" is what is normally called Middle East in English (the countries in south-west Asia and north Africa where the dominant religion is islam). Far East is the same as in English (the countries of south-east Asia).

Returning to the topic of border crossings. The animal Poland is most proud of is the Europan bison, called here "żubr":

It was the first protected species in Poland - it was first taken into protection by the king Sigismund II Augustus (Zygmunt II August) in the 16. century. Anyway, in 1919 the last free living żubr was killed and then much effort was made to reintroduce it. The biggest population of this animal lives in the Białowieża Forest at the Polish-Belarussian border, but now there is a few forests in the whole Poland where they live.

In August, one of the Polish żubrs (I won't call it bison, bison live in America; the only bison you can see in Poland in their natural environment are combine harvesters) illegally crossed the Polish-German border. And... apparently, the Schengen zone doesn't work for wild animals, because while in Poland absolutely nobody touched it and wherever it appeared, local people were proud of it, in Germany it was killed by hunters...

Kanadzie liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #16063
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

So it was poached for beef?

What is the law regarding the animals can you move animals in your trailer across there or you need special permits?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #16064
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Matter of opinion

and so on... and when we say "north" and "south" and it is not an administrative region (country, state, region or so on)... it is like if my brother said me he came yesterday from "Northern Europe" (and obviously he had been in a country located in the north side of European continent)

When I studied geography,
- North America... until Yucatan peninsula (thus Mexico partially in North and Central America)
- Central America... since Yucatan until Panama channel (thus Panama city is in south America) plus all Caribbean despite islands were quite near to south or north America... thus Bahamas or Trinidad and Tobago belongs to Central America
- South America, since Panama channel to Tierra del Fuego

In addition.... one island belongs to the nearest continent it has. That makes Hawai as part of Oceania, Greenland (and therefore Denmark) part of North America, and the two islands that are even Russian and US between Alaska and the last corner of Russia... I really do not know.

Moreover yesterday some matches for football world cup in 2018 were played and... Northern and Central America are joined in this case.

That's the point of view of geography where it doesn't change because political reasons but remains.
Another point of view is the political map, where we join all countries together and can find something weird (and makes us writing in this thread, for instance) but it is as things goes.

Anyway... in English is real the world America is used mainly for "north America" and to say "south America" we may hint... but let's remember which is the second native language in the world and the.... by far... more spoken language in the whole continent.
Huh?
Alserrod, as is so often the case, I don't understand you....

But whatever. I don't think I've ever heard an English-speaking person use the word "America" to refer to the two (or three, if you prefer) continents. If you need to refer to all the Western Hemisphere landmasses by one term, it's "the Western Hemisphere" or "the Americas." "America" is always understood as referring to the U.S., although honestly, I've heard British people say "America" when I'd use "U.S."....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 7th, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #16065
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
What is the law regarding the animals can you move animals in your trailer across there or you need special permits?
Within the country you can, across the border you need a passport for the animal and sometimes other documentation. For a dog, I don't think you need any permit, for a horse, from what I've read, you need one.

Junkie liked this post
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #16066
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Bringing dogs and cats from Afirca to Europe on ferries or from countries beyond Turkey is a cumbersome process requiring advance preparation and quarantine. Bringing livestock is much more regulated and often prohibited outright .
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #16067
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Alserrod, as is so often the case, I don't understand you....
Me too...

Quote:
"America" is always understood as referring to the U.S., although honestly, I've heard British people say "America" when I'd use "U.S."....
Germans use "Amerika" for USA too. "Americans" are "Amis". "Amerikas" is never used in German. I know "Americas" in English only.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #16068
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard an English-speaking person use the word "America" to refer to the two (or three, if you prefer) continents. (...) "America" is always understood as referring to the U.S.
I think he, too, for him you did not vote, does not want to make those contents great again :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #16069
Junkie
Supervisor

So livestock moving is not possible without permits? Once I saw a truck with chickens traveling in an animal trailer but I am not sure where was their origin and destination. If it is not possible for them to pass without permits I wonder if this is consider as a legal way of moving.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #16070
Kpc21

But you mean within the country or across the border?

Let's say someone spontaneously buys a few (live) chickens on the town market. How could he move them home if he needed a special permit for that?
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #16071
Junkie
Supervisor

No I mean accross the border... Can you go and sell livestock in another country?
It is interesting this because I know in Europe you can move freely but I don't know about animals...

BEEN IN:
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #16072
Kpc21

Since we joined the EU, all the cows in Poland must have earrings. If the EU enforces such regulations, that means it regulates the cow market, and the reason must have something to do with the free trade.

But the trade in the EU is not entirely free, there are goods for importing/exporting which within the EU you need special permits. Like the, recently discussed, medicines. Or cigarettes and liqueurs, the prices of which are often very different in different countries. Or recreational drugs, illegal even to possess in most EU countries, but legal even to sell in a few of them.
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #16073
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
But the trade in the EU is not entirely free, there are goods for importing/exporting which within the EU you need special permits.
The free trade in the EU does not mean that anything can be sold and bought freely. Instead, it means that the member countries and their public organizations are not allowed to favor domestic products over foreign ones.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #16074
Junkie
Supervisor

How is the rail or the ship transport going from one to another country? For example how is transport going from Poland to Sweden? Do you need papers for customs if some goods should be declared? Or you can just load anything you like and send it to Scandinavia ? Because as I understand well its single market so there should't be any customs for any goods. Or maybe I am wrong.

BEEN IN:
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #16075
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In case of duty free areas you may declare them. As said... in domestic flights within Canary islands and mainland all passengers must declare goods... (only apply to over rate and avoiding taxes. Things for personal use is out of those taxes and should you do not fill your baggage with tobacco and alcohol, there are no problems)
Yes, there are some exceptions within the special areas - Aland and Gibraltar are another two examples of territories that are in the EU but outside the fiscal zone.

If you ask me, the idea of European (and nearby, such as the Canaries or Aland) territories having a separate customs territory is nonsense. The Spanish territories are integral parts of Spain, and Gibraltar is very much in Europe - and should be treated as such.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #16076
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
How is the rail or the ship transport going from one to another country? For example how is transport going from Poland to Sweden? Do you need papers for customs if some goods should be declared? Or you can just load anything you like and send it to Scandinavia ? Because as I understand well its single market so there should't be any customs for any goods. Or maybe I am wrong.
There are no customs forms required to transport goods within EU. AN invoice with the appropriate EU VAT codes and registration number for seller and if applicable (B2B) buyer is enough. Regular customs checks are not allowed, sporadic controls for non EU smuggling , drugs etc are allowed. Note that the Swiss and Norwegian borders follow different procedures, one more reason it would be cool if they joined.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #16077
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

If you ask me, the idea of European (and nearby, such as the Canaries or Aland) territories having a separate customs territory is nonsense.
I think such existed within a short period of post-war Yugoslavia and than Serbia-Montenegro

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #16078
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13111

Algeria and Mauritania will open a border crossing in the coming days.

Quote:
Mauritanian president, Algerian FM meet in Nouakchott

Two men discuss political developments and ongoing fight against terrorism in Africa's Sahel region

By Abdel Razek Abdallah

NOUAKCHOTT

Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz on Thursday held talks in Nouakchott with Algerian Foreign Minister Abdelkader Messahel, who is currently touring Africa’s north-central Sahel region.

At a press conference held after the meeting, Messahel told reporters that he and the Mauritanian president had discussed the latest political developments and the region’s ongoing fight against terrorism, organized crime and illegal migration.

Within this context, the Algerian FM called for stepped-up coordination between the two neighboring countries.

Algeria’s southern city of Tamanrasset currently serves as headquarters for a regional coalition tasked with combating terrorism. Along with Algeria, the coalition includes Mauritania, Niger, Chad and Mali.

Messahel also announced that, in coming days, a new border crossing would be opened linking Algeria’s Tindouf province to the Mauritanian city of Zouerat.

The new crossing, he said, “will serve to strengthen relations between residents of the border areas and open the door to increased economic and trade exchanges between our two countries”.

On Wednesday, Messahel began a tour of Africa’s Sahel region that will also include stops in Chad, Mali and Niger.
http://aa.com.tr/en/africa/mauritani...akchott/934241

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM

Verso liked this post
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #16079
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

That is a very remote border crossing, especially from a Mauritanian point of view. The mentioned city Zouérat is over 800 kilometers away, which according to Google Earth, is entirely on unpaved 'roads' (mostly just tracks in the desert).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #16080
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I read, a long time ago that there was a north-south African road and unpaved in that area despite they had UN support to built it... and Algerian border control was 30 km away or more from border.

Does anyone have a pic?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways