daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #16121
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

For me I have always and everywhere known that on the airports when you go to police check they request you declare the boarding ticket. That way they check that you are actually to proceed. And visa?
But nowadays there is a check for boarding tickets even prior to the police check. It has happened to me and they have scan so they can read the ticket.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

marciomaco liked this post
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #16122
alserrod
Bienvenue Saragosse

Even they can ask for your boarding pass in a duty free shop. Once I asked reason in a shop and they explained me that.... LOL, providing destination, prices could be different. I asked which destinations. I do not remember which ones they were (not very usual), they didn't have direct flights to that destination but some passenger could have a linked flight to those countries... thus, compulsory to scan boarding pass and price will appear

(Jos A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #16123
Junkie
Supervisor

Yes it has happened once when I wanted to buy one small thing they say you must give us boarding ticket.
And when I have wanted tax back (tax-free) I have to provide all paper including boarding ticket

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #16124
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Even they can ask for your boarding pass in a duty free shop. Once I asked reason in a shop and they explained me that.... LOL, providing destination, prices could be different. I asked which destinations. I do not remember which ones they were (not very usual), they didn't have direct flights to that destination but some passenger could have a linked flight to those countries... thus, compulsory to scan boarding pass and price will appear
I've had this with duty-free in USA airports with no "international zone"
they ask your boarding pass and note your details. If domestic flight = go away.
They won't give you the bottle you paid for, instead, once the plane is boarding, the guy will go with all the bottles in a cart into the jetway and give you the bottle just before the plane itself. But they are always kind of late to get there and you get so anxious about the whole thing. Crazy puritanical country

In Canada the major airports have USA customs inside them. If you fly to USA you pass the customs directly before getting to a special "USA-zone". The advantage is when your plane lands, it is considered "domestic" so you walk right off the plane and straight to the rental car counter and onto the road Canada has the right to do same in USA but doesn't bother.
I've had almost similar "questioning" by US-agents in Europe as bogdymol described going to the US (e.g. Amsterdam/Schiphol) but it doesn't count as "real" immigration, so you do it again when you land in Amerika. This just sucks

Speaking of air travel, what are your experiences with rental cars at your destination? At major airports in North America the process to give the car back is really nice - you pull into the parking which is just a few lines of cars and a person is there with a ipad-type device. They scan barcode on the window, take the key and give receipt and you go straight to your flight, you don't even really stop walking from when you open the car door. From the motorway to the airport its faster than a taxi even... My only EU experience was at Warsaw/Okecie where I had to park and go inside to the rental car counter (where I got the keys) and sign papers, talk to the bored and slow-moving clerk for 20 minutes... but maybe the bigger airports have this system.

I've also had the experience of the "off-airport" rental where you call the agency when you land and they come to pick you up to go to their office some +/- 5 km away, the time this requires is not fun, but the cost savings is often substantial I find.

Last edited by Kanadzie; October 20th, 2017 at 02:02 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #16125
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Airlines always check your ID card/passport to match the name on the boarding pass. They also do this on internal flights (I flew internal flights in Romania, Germany, UK and USA, and have been always checked). This is to prevent another person flying with your ticket.
I flew an intra-Schengen flight three days ago (Stockholm to Helsinki to be exact) and no ID was ever asked. Not by authorities, not by the airline. The only document needed was the flight confirmation which I had printed at home. With this document, I was given my boarding pass; with the boarding pass, I went through the security and the departure gate. (I had my passport in my pocket but no one asked.)

Quote:
Depending on the type of the product (such as alcohol), you are not supposed to do "duty free" shopping at all, if you fly within the EU customs area. Instead, you pay the "normal" price including the VAT.

If you fly out of the EU customs area, then you don't pay the VAT.

EU customs area is mostly the same as EU, but it doesn't include some special areas such as the Canary islands.

marciomaco liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; October 20th, 2017 at 02:32 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #16126
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13067

Polish border police officers are on shift on the BG-TK border crossing at Malko Tarnovo. Bulgarian officers from day and night shift have been apprehended, they are suspected in corruption. The border crossing was closed for 7 hours.

Article in Bulgarian.

g.spinoza, simondanut liked this post
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #16127
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
Polish border police officers are on shift on the BG-TK border crossing at Malko Tarnovo. Bulgarian officers from day and night shift have been apprehended, they are suspected in corruption. The border crossing was closed for 7 hours.

Article in Bulgarian.
Is this so because some of the officers were actually Bulgarian Turks? And given the fact that corruption is sky-high in Bulgaria overall, I'm really not even amazed by this.

BEEN IN:
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #16128
Junkie
Supervisor

BTW: That's one of the most toughest borders I have ever seen. I wonder how much smuggling in thousands of tons is passing everyday from Turkey, Middle East, Asia and so on. It is more corrupted border than the Greek side with Turkey.

BEEN IN:
Old October 20th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #16129
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Is this so because some of the officers were actually Bulgarian Turks?
There is no ifnormation about the ethnicity of the police officers.
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #16130
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Speaking of air travel, what are your experiences with rental cars at your destination?
From my own experience:

UK: at some airports (Heathrow, Stansted, Luton, Manchester) you have a free shuttle bus running every 10-20 minutes between the airport terminal and the "car rental village" (where all major car rental companies are located together). At other, usually smaller, airports (Gatwich, Birmingham, Glasgow, Bristol), the major car rental agencies are located a short walk away from the terminal.

Ireland: at Cork airport it's right in the terminal, but in Dublin the car pick-up is at the terminal, but car drop-off is 2-3 km away (you have a free shuttle bus).

Portugal: at Faro airport it's right at the terminal, but at Porto is a short shuttle bus ride away.

USA: in Miami it's right in the terminal, at Los Angeles and Las Vegas you need to get a free shuttle bus and at San Francisco you need to take a short train ride (free of charge).

At all airports mentioned above, the return of the car was made as you mentioned: you park the car, one of their employees comes and quickly check the car (mileage, if it's full + any potential damage), you get a receipt and off you go. Everything takes less than a minutes.

At Luxembourg airport on the other hand, the car rental companies are inside the terminal, and everything goes really quickly beeing a small airport, but the car return is different: you park the car, note the parking space number, and then you go to their counter, return the keys and the car documents and let them know where to find the car. They'll check it out later.

At Malaga airport in Spain I used a low-cost car rental company which had an interesting system. I provided them with my flight details, and one of their employees waited me at the arrival flight exit. We went together to the public car park (where the car was), made the papers directly there and paid it to him (he had a mobile card payment device), and I got the car. When I returned back to the airport, I drove to their office (2 km from the airport) and there one of their employees got into the car, drove me to the departures terminal, left me there and off he went (it was like dropping a friend at the airport).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #16131
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
But at the departure, how can the police/border guard know which plane - to which country - you take?
There are usually different terminals or minimum different departure gates for Schengen flights and non-Schengen flights. Sometimes there are more "categories" for special checks like flights to USA or to Israel et cetera.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #16132
Junkie
Supervisor

Regarding this discussion until recently I was amazed to find out that some Western countries need visa for Turkey.
I don't really know why some of them are on the list and the others are not but they maintain this. For example countries of Sweden, Poland, Spain, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Croatia need visa to travel there. It is really strange.

BEEN IN:
Old October 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #16133
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Just to get money , before you paid the "visa fee" at the airport , now online
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #16134
aubergine72

Quote:
Is this so because some of the officers were actually Bulgarian Turks?
Ethnic Turkish population isn't concentrated on the Turkish border, so it's doubtful.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #16135
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6755

Quote:
Regarding this discussion until recently I was amazed to find out that some Western countries need visa for Turkey.
I don't really know why some of them are on the list and the others are not but they maintain this. For example countries of Sweden, Poland, Spain, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Croatia need visa to travel there. It is really strange.
This "visa" looks like a postal stamp. Or it looked so when it wasn't online yet. And, from what I remember, it cost something like 15 EUR/20 USD or 20 EUR/25 USD.

I also don't understand that. This visa thing is only about gathering money, and why do they do it from Polish people and not from (richer) Germans?
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #16136
alserrod
Bienvenue Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
There are usually different terminals or minimum different departure gates for Schengen flights and non-Schengen flights. Sometimes there are more "categories" for special checks like flights to USA or to Israel et cetera.
Depending of airport. There are someones that have different terminals for Shchengen and non-Schengen countries. You will cross trhough booths and enter into terminal

But in other ones I have seen one only terminal and there will be only one terminal and booths in each depending of destination, when they open gates to board on, they will set officers in the specific booth.

Old October 21st, 2017, 03:02 AM   #16137
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
At Malaga airport in Spain I used a low-cost car rental company which had an interesting system. I provided them with my flight details, and one of their employees waited me at the arrival flight exit. We went together to the public car park (where the car was), made the papers directly there and paid it to him (he had a mobile card payment device), and I got the car. When I returned back to the airport, I drove to their office (2 km from the airport) and there one of their employees got into the car, drove me to the departures terminal, left me there and off he went (it was like dropping a friend at the airport).
That's pretty good. Every time I've had one of those, I give the flight number but the person isn't there, and I have to call and wait for them to show up
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM   #16138
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
This "visa" looks like a postal stamp. Or it looked so when it wasn't online yet. And, from what I remember, it cost something like 15 EUR/20 USD or 20 EUR/25 USD.

I also don't understand that. This visa thing is only about gathering money, and why do they do it from Polish people and not from (richer) Germans?
The visa-exemption agreements are usually bilateral. Some countries are more active in negotiating them than the others. Poland seems to not be active.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:58 AM   #16139
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6755

Quote:
But in other ones I have seen one only terminal and there will be only one terminal and booths in each depending of destination, when they open gates to board on, they will set officers in the specific booth.
Do they then divide the departures area (the one behind the security) into a Schengen and non-Schengen part? Because what if there are flights to both a Schengen and a non-Schengen country at the same time, or if someone will enter the area very early before his non-Schengen flight, when there is no office yet?

And, by the way - I never tried that, but from what I understand, it shouldn't be a problem to enter the departures area (when there is a flight to a Schengen country) even if you are not flying anywhere - the only thing is that you must go through the security. If I remember well, they don't check the boarding cards on the way between the entrance hall and the departures area, at least on some airports (on some, there are gates before the security, on which you must scan your boarding card). Am I right?

Last edited by Kpc21; October 21st, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:23 PM   #16140
alserrod
Bienvenue Saragosse

Quote:
Do they then divide the departures area (the one behind the security) into a Schengen and non-Schengen part? Because what if there are flights to both a Schengen and a non-Schengen country at the same time, or if someone will enter the area very early before his non-Schengen flight, when there is no office yet?

Depending of airport... In my homecity we have a tiny airport. Everyone has to go inside tracks to take a plane (and once they had three ones in the whole day, two out of them RYR in 30 minutes, they took a mistake and two passengers flyed in opposite directions!!!!).
In that case, there is a small custom booth for non-Schengen departures... but at the end the airplane will be in the same point. They have to check that everyone go to their airplane

In addition, in middle airports have seen only one terminal. In that case, boarding pass is checked before crossing security point. You have all duty free shops together (but must show boarding pass) and, just in case destination is non-Schengen, police can be located besides company employees to ask for passport.

Therefore, Schengen and non-Schengen destination passengers will share same shops, restaurants and so on. It makes simple to manage it.

Quote:
And, by the way - I never tried that, but from what I understand, it shouldn't be a problem to enter the departures area (when there is a flight to a Schengen country) even if you are not flying anywhere - the only thing is that you must go through the security. If I remember well, they don't check the boarding cards on the way between the entrance hall and the departures area, at least on some airports (on some, there are gates before the security, on which you must scan your boarding card). Am I right?
When kid I remember main airports with "national" and "international" terminals... and in small airports it was police who asked for passport when security control, not after or later, and without booths.

A person couldn't entry inside boarding area for safety. A person who works in an airport told me that all of them, even greater or very small, have "red lines" for "air area" and "land area". Air area is a point where you can entry into an airplane without control. The area of duty free shops is air area because it is only responsibility of each company to let you entry or not, for instance.

For that case, it is a restricted area and all employees must check when entry there and when getting out.
And, obviously all movements are recorded

But there is a strongest point: when you land and entry for baggage claim. There will be some gates that say "no return". It is the most controlled point.
Reason?. It could be very easy for an airport employee to be there with drugs, for instance, and giving to a crew person of an airplane and departing in a couple of minutes... or just shifting one for another and leaving airport one person.

It is the most controlled area at all.

Tags
highways, motorways