daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:39 AM   #16141
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

About airports and customs controls - I was in Malaga Airport yesterday and two weeks ago, and I wonder how they're going to handle things post-Brexit. As it is right now, the infrastructure for customs checks isn't big enough to handle the amount of British tourists that come yearly, and the passport control areas are way too small to handle the detailed checks that several flights of non-EU passengers will need.

It seems to me that it's the same in many European airports that only really have flights to EU non-Schengen countries, and in all of them, the infrastructure will need to be upgraded to handle everything.

The same applies in reverse, of course - places like the Western Docks in Dover will need to be upgraded to provide areas for customs checks.

Another update on Gibraltar: they just don't care on both sides, but Spain is again playing stupid tricks with exit lanes. This time, they were forcing all cars through a single exit and entry lane, though not actually stopping anyone. The infrastructure that was built to provide a place for secondary checks is barricaded off, too.

One interesting thing that I observed about Gibraltar is that customs officers are almost non-existent at the border. They were nowhere to be seen when entering or exiting, by foot and by car. I asked how I was supposed to make a declaration, and the immigration police guy said "If there's no-one there, then consider it a green light to go".
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:54 AM   #16142
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Same situation in Andorra.

I glanced a road transit count and La Seu-Border with Andorra could be the 1x1 national road with more traffic!!!!!!.

Getting out from Andorra on sunday evening and... only one lane for booths available!!!!.
At least they didn't stopped cars, just glanced and randomly checks... and weren't strongly in customs.... but congestion was important

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:22 AM   #16143
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
One interesting thing that I observed about Gibraltar is that customs officers are almost non-existent at the border. They were nowhere to be seen when entering or exiting, by foot and by car. I asked how I was supposed to make a declaration, and the immigration police guy said "If there's no-one there, then consider it a green light to go".
Why do you expect customs officers at an internal EU border?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:26 AM   #16144
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Gibraltar is in the European Union, but it's outside the fiscal territory of the European Union - so there are full Customs controls between Gibraltar and the rest of the EU. There's no VAT there, and I think there's no excise taxes on things like fuel, cigarettes and alcohol.

There's a good list here that explains it - https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...territories_en

What they do have is quite high import taxes - I think it's around 12% flat rate.

Interestingly enough, they have their own immigration system too. You need a passport or ID card to fly between Gibraltar and the UK, for instance.

Verso liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:44 PM   #16145
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

It is a non-visible custom but in any flight between Canary islands or Melilla and Spain mainland will have to declare any good. There are no special cases of smuggling. Not many goods deserve to take into a baggage and pay a 3h plane ticket but... when you cross in the side of "nothing to declare/something to declare" you must do it.

And.. it is a domestic flight. Obviously they will never ask for passport, but they can ask for goods.

Verso liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #16146
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Next pic normally belongs to another thread. Or not? Welcome to Flanders!

Verso, SRC_100 liked this post
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:53 AM   #16147
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Seriously? And why not 90 km/h in the countryside like on the Belgian sign?

Last edited by Verso; October 24th, 2017 at 04:58 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #16148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Flanders unilaterally reduced the speed limit in rural areas to 70 km/h. Road administration is devolved in Belgium, there are in practice no national roads (though there is a national road numbering system).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #16149
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Even more confusing, the demands for driving licenses are different between Flanders and Wallonia. Both require lessons given by peers (with a minimum amount of having a driving license), but Flanders also made it obligated that the teachers get 3 hours worth of classes. There are probably more differences, but I'm too lazy to check.
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #16150
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Here's Wallonia's counterpart. At least regular roads have a general 90 km/h speed limit, much better than that ridiculously slow 70 km/h in Flanders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A Wallonia speed limit sign. These became necessary after Flanders reduced the general non-urban speed limit from 90 to 70 km/h.

Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #16151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
that ridiculously slow 70 km/h in Flanders.
Though in some instances 70 km/h is too slow in Flanders, I'd like to add some context to that statement.

In much of Flanders, nearly the entire countryside is developed with ribbon development along major roads, including most N-roads. This means that you can drive tens of kilometers outside of city limits while still having continuous development on the side of the road.

It would be a step too far to incorporate the entire road network within city limits, so 70 km/h is a compromise. Before they lowered the general speed limit, 70 km/h was already very widespread on N-roads in Belgium.

Though there are some indications that they're overdoing it by reducing the speed limits on roads with fewer development or divided roadways to 70 km/h as well.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snt3000, BlackC, JanVL liked this post
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #16152
trilobitas

Likes (Received): 154

A moose on the run from euroasiatic union to European union (Belarus to Lithuania)

Kunagi, SRC_100 liked this post
trilobitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #16153
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8166UY View Post
Even more confusing, the demands for driving licenses are different between Flanders and Wallonia.
Why is that confusing? If you live in Flanders, you have to follow the Flemish laws/regulations, in Wallonia the Walloon ones.

Same for schools. There is no Belgian school/educational system. Flanders and Wallonia have their own system.

It's a thing called federalism.

darko06 liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #16154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

France-Andorra

They built a new border crossing station on French N22, a few kilometers before the border with Andorra.

I've never driven through El Pas de la Casa, but I took the Envalira Tunnel in 2008 and there was no border check of any kind. It seems to have been built around 2010.

Old October 25th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #16155
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobitas View Post
A moose on the run from euroasiatic union to European union (Belarus to Lithuania)

These fences obviously make very big damage to ecosystem and animal movement.
What can human create it is only disaster :-(

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

ScraperDude liked this post
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #16156
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They built a new border crossing station on French N22, a few kilometers before the border with Andorra.

I've never driven through El Pas de la Casa, but I took the Envalira Tunnel in 2008 and there was no border check of any kind. It seems to have been built around 2010.

There was a sort of control there and in google street view I have seen pictures when they were u/c.

Anyway, a French forumer said that it was usual not to be stopped there but randomly later (this is, you crossed "nothing to declare").

Have seen Discovery documentaries and in Spain they make from time to time. You can go through custom facilities and non stopped but a random check later. I listened an officer and he came from Algeciras border. He said that smuggling there was absolutely different but he just needed a couple of months to know which cars had "more points" to be stopped and which ones just drive trhough.

About Pas de la Casa, as you said, after tunnel you entry into France for a while (except if a tiny road for service is taken). Booths and fence remained there for sometime too until the road was refurbished.

Old October 25th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #16157
Tchek

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Why is that confusing? If you live in Flanders, you have to follow the Flemish laws/regulations, in Wallonia the Walloon ones.

Same for schools. There is no Belgian school/educational system. Flanders and Wallonia have their own system.

It's a thing called federalism.
Spain and the United States are federal countries too; i'm not sure that getting your licence in Galicia is much different from getting it in Catalonia; nor that education in Oregon is different from education in Wisconsin.

It's just that Belgium is a mess.
Tchek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #16158
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

What if you spend, let's say, 50% of your life in Flanders and 50% in Wallonia, and you have apartments in both regions?

Do you have in Belgium something like an official registration of the place where you live (Polish: meldunek, German: Anmeldung - there is no unambiguous English term for that), which is unique for the whole country?

In Poland, this thing is quite crazy, because there is many people who are "angemeldet" in a different place than they actually live. So... there are often two addresses used, even, for official reasons. The address of residence and the address of registration. Usually, for the official reasons, the address of registration is used, they send the mail from courts to it, for example - but, on the other hand, the tax offices use the address of residence. You put the address of residence on the tax return forms, and the tax office you are assigned to depends on your actual place of residence and not of registration.

Theoretically you are obliged to be registered ("angemeldet") in the place where you live, but... there is no punishment if you don't do it. Until a short time ago, there was, but since the end of communism, it was almost not at all used in practice. And they wanted to totally remove this demand to register yourself where you live, but now they postponed it to nobody knows when, as there were some problems concerning other laws demanding existence something like official registration.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #16159
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchek View Post
Spain and the United States are federal countries too; i'm not sure that getting your licence in Galicia is much different from getting it in Catalonia; nor that education in Oregon is different from education in Wisconsin.

It's just that Belgium is a mess.
In Spain they are absolutely the same licences and managed by same administration: DGT (Traffic general bureau).

There is a sort of points system since july 2006. The system is the same for the whole country. It could be a mess but... for local streets, local police gets control, in Catalonian, Navarran or Basque country regions, their police, in the rest of regions (it includes Canary islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Civil guard, but in anycase, any police will notify traffic centre about points

And traffic law and restriction is the same in all the country.

Old October 26th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #16160
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobitas View Post

He's probably trying to flee Lukashenko regime and get political asylum in the free world.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kpc21, Džiugas, FabriFlorence, Kunagi liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways