daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #16221
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Yes, but those are recognized countries.

and Andorran teams play in Spanish leagues.

Should have to check but I think only one out of their football teams plays in Spanish league... they make in a sort of "fifth league", one where 20 Western Catalonian teams play (there is a system to make weak leagues not to have long distance because their budget is tiny).

They have their own major (and second) football league. Winner will play European Champions' league (starting in the first leg). Last July, Andorran champions started against an Armenian team, lost 1-0 and later 1-1 in home, thus fired
Source (Santa Coloma team) http://es.uefa.com/uefachampionsleag...l#rd/2000877/1

And for international issues... just a logistic question... how to go from Andorra to Faroe Islands and conversely?. Because they had to play in the same group for world cup classification (they tied one match and was the first official point after 12 years, and later they won, and I think it was the first official match won in history)

But for basketball... Andorra has a very good basketball team with some of well known players. They play in the major Spanish league and every weekend, even Andorran team has to cross border, even a Spanish team has to reach Andorra. The only fact is there aren't Andorran referees.

Due to their position in league last year they are playing Eurocup basketball this year as Spanish representant (it is funny: Gran Canaria, Bilbao and Andorra.... for logistic reasons... I would prefer to go to play against Bilbao by far!!!)
Source http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eur...petition/teams

But in anyway... by law, in Spain only Andorran teams are approved to play as foreing teams (once a Gibraltar team played with Andalusian teams... but they played always in a small stadium in Spain, they crossed border every weekend and booked with an address located in the boundary town, thus legal) and they have to belong to a regional federation (Andorran teams belongs to Catalan federation)

Should Catalonia wouldn't be a regional federation, teams couldn't play in Spanish leagues

I guess that a lot of international niceties will find if searching.

For instance, I remember some years ago when there was a strike at the beginning of league and disolved later. It was late August and impossible to find airline tickets so soon because barely overbooking. There was only second division matches, some of them between near cities ones but two of them, corner to corner (matches agains island teams were cancelled, I think). One Andalusian match had to go to Galicia and went through Portugal. Some km and inside Portugal in the south... and all north until crossing again border. A long journey by bus, but it was the shortest route.
Once Ceuta and Melilla had to play cup. I do not know it they were by bus crossing Morocco or taking an airplane, bus, ferry...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #16222
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In the following weeks - you are right, but I would be really careful with saying never. It really depends on the course of events. And on the people of Catalonia. In my opinion, their fight for independence is quite stupid, but after what Spain recently did to them, it's not unlikely... If they will be determined, they will become independent and recognized by majority of countries and Spain won't be able to stop that.

Just now, there is no real independence of Catalonia, as Spain is still controlling its area.
I am not a prophet, so I don't know what will happen in 5, 10 or 20 years. And the slogan "never say never" is true, I agree.
But at the moment, and in the following weeks, which is more important for us in this thread than the distant future, such a thing as an independent Catalonian state does not exist and will not exist.
So Catalonia will not take over the border posts to Andorra and France and will not install new posts to the (actually non-existing) border to Spain (and Spain has borders to Andorra).

What you or other forum members think about the situation politically, does simply nothing to do with this thread. Period.

Kpc21 liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:26 PM   #16223
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Speaking of Northern Cyprus, it seems far more open to cross-border traffic now than it used to be. When I visited Cyprus in the early 90s, it was a big no-no to go across the border!
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM   #16224
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
Speaking of Northern Cyprus, it seems far more open to cross-border traffic now than it used to be. When I visited Cyprus in the early 90s, it was a big no-no to go across the border!
I don't know about the current state, but Slovak soldiers used to help to protect that border. The ones who had been sent off to Cyprus were always envied and looked down on at the same time, because others used to called their mission "the Mission Vacation" IMHO they were right comparing it to Afghanistan or Iraq.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:16 PM   #16225
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I don't know about the current state, but Slovak soldiers used to help to protect that border. The ones who had been sent off to Cyprus were always envied and looked down on at the same time, because others used to called their mission "the Mission Vacation" IMHO they were right comparing it to Afghanistan or Iraq.
Does Slovakia recognize Northern Cyprus? I know you are the one of europe that don' t recognize Kosovo...

I don't want to go off topic here really. But these border issues are very interesting when you compare them to some of the secessionist territories.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:44 PM   #16226
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Does Slovakia recognize Northern Cyprus? I know you are the one of europe that don' t recognize Kosovo...

I don't want to go off topic here really. But these border issues are very interesting when you compare them to some of the secessionist territories.
Northern Cyprus has been recognized only by Turkey so far.

Slovakia is surely not the only country in Europe to have refused to recognize Kosovo. From the EU there are also Spain, Romania and Greece. Out of the EU Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia, BiH. But fun fact: we recognize their documents (IDs, driver licences, passports).

Old November 1st, 2017, 09:04 PM   #16227
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Slovakia is surely not the only country in Europe to have refused to recognize Kosovo. From the EU there are also Spain, Romania and Greece. Out of the EU Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia, BiH. But fun fact: we recognize their documents (IDs, driver licences, passports).
Yes I meant one of those who dont recognize them. And we have been talking on this thread about the documents you mentioned, the thing is probably if you refuse to recognize them then they cant enter your country it mean they must be refused. Which is really ugly thing at the end. Or maybe not?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:04 PM   #16228
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Northern Cyprus has been recognized only by Turkey so far.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:07 PM   #16229
Junkie
Supervisor

Those countries who generally have domestic separatist issues (like Spain's case with Catalonia) tend not to recognize another 'independent' territories becoming countries even in some cases we have seen the case with South Sudan as it's legal member of UN.

BEEN IN:
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:26 PM   #16230
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7700

So, basically, it's just the US and its various client states - occupied (Korea, Japan, Germany, Afghanistan, Panama, etc.) or otherwise - that have recognized Kosovo
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:37 PM   #16231
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Not as simple as the Mr Crazy..... about 52% of all UN states have recognised Kosovo plus its independance did not break international laws as decided by the ICJ.
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM   #16232
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Where are the borderlines drawn between Vojvodina and serbia ? I am just interested to know how it would look if they seceded.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:45 AM   #16233
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Did you spotted the old plane "in the middle of no country"?

Read it was in the UN buffer airport

https://www.google.es/maps/@35.15664...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

but seems removed

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:45 AM   #16234
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
Where are the borderlines drawn between Vojvodina and serbia ? I am just interested to know how it would look if they seceded.
Vojvodina has majority Serb population so take in mind that it is impossible for a such scenario to happen.

But what is close to this thread is that Vojvodina actually has its own borders. Since Tito's era it is autonomous province on its own and has its own parliament, flag and emblems.

BEEN IN:
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:50 AM   #16235
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

I get it but where is it if lines had to be drawn? Its pretty much nothern part down to novi sad right. Are road names and documents issued in Hungarian as well ?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:59 AM   #16236
Junkie
Supervisor

I can't tell you about the languages, but about the border its the same legal border as in SFRY actually the same since 1944 when Tito made it clear. I think the border run just north of Beograd and border Serbia's four neighbours. Two totally and two partially.

BEEN IN:
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:43 AM   #16237
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
So, basically, it's just the US and its various client states - occupied (Korea, Japan, Germany, Afghanistan, Panama, etc.) or otherwise - that have recognized Kosovo

Germany’s occupied?
Whatever.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:43 AM   #16238
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
But it was probably possible to go from "southern Cyprus" to Northern Cyprus via Turkey, so it wasn't impossible. Now it's easy.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 09:45 AM   #16239
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
I get it but where is it if lines had to be drawn? Its pretty much nothern part down to novi sad right. Are road names and documents issued in Hungarian as well ?
Here is all you need to know
http://bfy.tw/Eo4J

Alex_ZR, Verso liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:20 AM   #16240
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Did you spotted the old plane "in the middle of no country"?

Read it was in the UN buffer airport

https://www.google.es/maps/@35.15664...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

but seems removed
I didn't go to the buffer zone, but yes this HS Trident was removed a few years ago from LCNC after the tail section collapsed I believe. There was also a Trident blown up by the invading forces I believe.

Some more recent info on the 5BDAB here: https://tfrnorthcyprus.wordpress.com...a-int-airport/

Last edited by CSerpent; November 2nd, 2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Info on aircraft
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways