daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2017, 06:44 PM   #16421
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you think people from all around the world really care about this Balkan bickering?
Time to reunite Yugoslavia -> Problem solved

Penn's Woods, bratislav liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2017, 07:03 PM   #16422
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Do not feed the troll!!!

Back to borders

Portalet/Pourtalet border E-F has been close for 4 days due to snow

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.80624...2!8i6656?hl=es

(former booths from France looking to Spain)

Just in the middle of the border looking to Spain

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

darko06, Kunagi, SRC_100, simondanut liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:00 AM   #16423
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Border crossing: Czech Republic/Austria: Slavonice/Fratres, former railroad Slavonice - Waidhofen an der Ybbs, nowadays cycloroute "Thayarunde"

Junkie, Alex_ZR, DJaCoNdA, Kunagi, Attus and 6 others liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:04 PM   #16424
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

The Mária Valéra bridge was built in 1895 between Esztergom and Párkány. Slovakia has not existed back then, the bridge connected central and northern Hungary.
Mária Valéria híd by Attila Németh, on Flickr
25 years later Czechoslovakia was created, Párkány become a czechoslovak town, the Danube a border. The bridge became a border crossing. Later on (unfortunately I don't know the precise date) Párkány was named afer the famous Slovak poet, L'udovit Štúr. However, in Hungarian, it was and is called Párkány up till now.
In World War II the bridge was exploded by German army. After the war the Czechoslovak government showed no interest in rebuilding it. But the remained parts, both end, were not destroyed so the bridge remained an accidental war memento more than fifty years long.

Esztergom bridge 1969 [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], by Wikipt (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
There was a ferry service between Esztergom and Párkány. Ferry stations were only a few meters apart from the bridge. The border and custom facilities were in the Czechoslovak (after 1993 Slovak) side.
I lived in Esztergom in the 90's and crossed the Danube several times by the ferry. Czechoslovak - Slovak customs were terrible...
There used to be a sign on the bridge, in the Hungarian end: "Bridge connects", in Hungarian and Slovak ("Most spoji", "A híd összeköt"). It was quite sad.
Finally, the bridge was rebuilt in 2000-01. A photo from the Hungarian side:
Both ends were refurbished, and three new parts were built. The new bridge is in the middle approx. 2 meters higher than the original one, letting more space for large ships.
Border facilities were built in the Slovak side, just like in the good ol' ferry times. Of course they have been out of use since 2007.
Párkány by Attila Németh, on Flickr
After reopening the bridge in 2001 border crossing traffic increased multiple times. In 2000 43,000 cars crossed the river (by ferry), five years later it was 1.7 million (on the bridge). Nowadays it's very common to see Slovak cars in Esztergom (usually NZ license plates) or Hungarian ones in Štúrovo. Both town centers are near to the bridge, from Esztergom center you can walk to Párkány center, through the bridge, in 15-20 minutes. There are no language issues: the majority of Štúrovo population is ethnically Hungarian, and usually Slovak people, too, speak Hungarian.

The bridge from Hungary:
The famous Esztergom cathedral from the bridge:
Esztergomi bazilika by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The border point is near to the middle of the bridge:
Szlovákia by Attila Németh, on Flickr
(The solid line is brigther in Hungary than in Slovakia :-))
Arriving in Slovakia:
Szlovák táblák by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Slovak speed limits:
Szlovák sebességhatárok by Attila Németh, on Flickr

The bridge from the Slovak side:

In the opposite direction, leaving Štúrovo:
Esztergomi bazilika by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Entering the bridge:
Crossing the border:
Magyarország by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Arriving to Esztergom:
Esztergom by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Hungarian signs:
Magyar táblák by Attila Németh, on Flickr

JackFrost, Moravian, MichiH, Corvinus, Alex_ZR and 9 others liked this post

Last edited by Attus; January 1st, 2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:34 AM   #16425
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87659

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidalgo View Post
A idade das fronteiras (data da 1a definiçăo) - em inglęs

Mapa Maior e Completo - https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4596/2...a5b6d97a_o.png

Instagram: nikkodemo_
ˇˇˇ11 Ańos en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #16426
bogdymol
bogdymod

People working in western Europe are finishing their winter holidays in Romania and are heading back to their workplaces. At the same time, many Romanians choose to go skiing in the Alps. The result is predictable:

Long waiting times are currently reported at Romania - Hungary border crossing at Nădlac/Nagylak:

If you think that going further west, at internal Schengen borders, will make the situation better, you are wrong. This is how it currently looks at the 2 major border crossings in western Hungary (border with Austria and with Slovakia):

I drive this route once per month since 3 years ago, but I never seen such a traffic on Google Maps before. I drove the same route today, but I was able to avoid the queues as I used secondary roads both when crossing into Hungary, then through Slovakia and then into Austria. All on the most secondary roads possible with (almost) no traffic.

I curently see on Google Maps issues also at the borders Austria->Germany and Slovakia->Czech Republic, although not as extensive as at the above 2.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

gr_kanev liked this post

Last edited by bogdymol; January 6th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:36 AM   #16427
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There was a 30-km-long queue between Slovenia and Croatia two weeks ago, but nothing mentionworthy yet this time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:37 AM   #16428
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

hegyeshalom by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 12:46 PM   #16429
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

What happened here? Border checks in Austria?

What about crossing the border using the non-motorway, or Slovakian motorway?
Old January 7th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #16430
bogdymol
bogdymod

Border checks done by Austrians when entering from Hungary on both motorway and old road crossings. Due to very high amount of traffic, the queues get quite long.

If you drive through Slovakia on M15 - D2 - D4 - A6, you need to buy the Slovakian vignette for just 12 km of motorway (10 Euros, quite expensive for such a short distance). And there are still checks while entering Austria, however the queues are much shorter.

I drove yesterday on this route on secondary roads through Slovakia to avoid the long border queues and also to avoid the Slovakian vignette. However, even at that small border crossing between Slovakia and Austria, the Austrian police was conducting random checks (as there were no other cars in front of me and the police officers were bored, I got stopped, documents checked, then allowed to drive further). However, it was so much better and faster than to enter Austria directly from Hungary.

gr_kanev liked this post
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #16431
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6753

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Border checks done by Austrians when entering from Hungary on both motorway and old road crossings. Due to very high amount of traffic, the queues get quite long.
They are stilling doing that? Isn't it so that the migration crisis has stabilized and they have no longer reasons to do that? The EU still agrees for such a long break in applying the Schengen zone rules on that border?
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #16432
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yes, they are still doing these checks since the migration crisis started. Not only Austria does it, but also Germany (at the borders with Austria). Both Austria and Germany have at installed some large tents where the provisional checks are made.

According to Schengen rules they were allowed to do this for 2 years, which expired in October or November (I think?) last year, but they were allowed for an extension. For how long? I don't know.

Kpc21 liked this post
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:35 PM   #16433
Zsolt_Tolnai

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, Denmark has the same procedure in Rřdby. We were stopped as every car showed our passports little chit-chat and that.
Zsolt_Tolnai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #16434
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

Current Temporarily Reintroduced Border Controls inside Schengen Area

Temporarily reintroduced border controls in the context of foreseeable events:
  • France (1 November 2017 – 30 April 2018) persistent terrorist threat; all internal borders
  • Austria (12 November 2017 – 12 May 2018) security situation in Europe and threats resulting from the continuous significant secondary movements; land borders with Hungary and with Slovenia;
  • Germany (12 November 2017 – 12 May 2018) security situation in Europe and threats resulting from the continuous significant secondary movements; land border with Austria and flight connections from Greece;
  • Denmark (12 November 2017 – 12 May 2018) security situation in Europe and threats resulting from the continuous significant secondary movements; internal border with Germany;
  • Sweden (12 November 2017 – 12 May 2018) security situation in Europe and threats resulting from the continuous significant secondary movements; selected harbours in Police Regions South and West and at the Öresund Bridge;
  • Norway (12 November 2017 – 12 May 2018) security situation in Europe and threats resulting from the continuous significant secondary movements; ferry connections with DK, DE and SE;
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...der-control_en

bogdymol liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #16435
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6753

What does it mean "all internal borders" in case of France? I don't think they are doing checks at the borders between the departments.

Or just it's "all internal borders" in the context of the Schengen zone, the internal borders of the Schengen zone?

Kanadzie liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:32 PM   #16436
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

They mean the borders inside the Schengen Area, like Germany, Belgium and so on
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #16437
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
If you drive through Slovakia on M15 - D2 - D4 - A6, you need to buy the Slovakian vignette for just 12 km of motorway (10 Euros, quite expensive for such a short distance). And there are still checks while entering Austria, however the queues are much shorter.
So you need the Slovakian vignette right at the border... no "free until first exit" policy as it is in, say, Czech Republic.
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:55 PM   #16438
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
The "red" part of the Slovenian-Croatian border was first defined already in 962 with the (re)creation of the Holy Roman Empire.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:59 PM   #16439
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
Current Temporarily Reintroduced Border Controls inside Schengen Area

Temporarily reintroduced border controls in the context of foreseeable events:

France (1 November 2017 – 30 April 2018) persistent terrorist threat; all internal borders
Just to recall, this is the country whose politicians were so outraged at the Hungarian Schengen outer border fence that "you don't even treat cattle that way".

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Kunagi, OulaL, Kpc21, darko06, lampsakos21 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 09:01 PM   #16440
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Needless to say that improved border guarding was an essential precondition for the schengen accession.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways