daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2018, 01:04 PM   #16441
vitacit

Likes (Received): 96

i was controlled by austrians on the way from rajka (HUN) to deutsch jahrndorf (AUT) on sunday. we went to see border corner of three countries (SVK-AUT-HUN) and they stopped us in the middle of nowhere))) also, in december they had random checks in petrzalka (SVK) - berg (AUT) border crossing.
vitacit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:56 PM   #16442
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

I drove back home from Hungary to Switzerland on december 29. It was a very quiet drive, almost any trucks and very little traffic over all.
I lost three minutes at Hegyeshalom, five minutes at Passau/Suben and then twenty (!) minutes at Au when entering Switzerland. It was around 9 PM and the officer had plenty of time...
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #16443
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Yesterday, a Google Maps mistake almost created a dipolomatic crisis between Italy and Slovenia.
Six Italians from Trieste, including a 9-months baby, have been detained for few hours by Slovenian police for illegal border crossing. They went to eat in a restaurant in the Croatian village of Zrenj, and then they set the GPS to go back to Trieste. The GPS led them through a gravel road that crossed a closed HR-SLO border crossing. They managed to cross it because the gate was open but were arrested by the Slovenian police on the other side. They were released after a 2,000€ fine and the driver's license has been revoked. Now the Italian consulate in Slovenia is dealing with that issue, but aparently the police acted according to the law.

http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/...9878?ref=fbfpi
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #16444
Slovenia_

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yesterday, a Google Maps mistake almost created a dipolomatic crisis between Italy and Slovenia.
Six Italians from Trieste, including a 9-months baby, have been detained for few hours by Slovenian police for illegal border crossing. They went to eat in a restaurant in the Croatian village of Zrenj, and then they set the GPS to go back to Trieste. The GPS led them through a gravel road that crossed a closed HR-SLO border crossing. They managed to cross it because the gate was open but were arrested by the Slovenian police on the other side. They were released after a 2,000€ fine and the driver's license has been revoked. Now the Italian consulate in Slovenia is dealing with that issue, but aparently the police acted according to the law.
http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/...9878?ref=fbfpi
Yes, slovenia police is very strick about that. I think fine is around 500 euros for crossing border outside border check points. And i think around 250 eur if u dont have your documents.
And in the moment the border is controlled more then usual, because of the migrations.
Last year (between january and november) they did catch 2000 people crossing border with croatia, thats 100% more like in 2016.
Slovenia_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:44 AM   #16445
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovenia_ View Post
Yes, slovenia police is very strick about that. I think fine is around 500 euros for crossing border outside border check points. And i think around 250 eur if u dont have your documents.
And in the moment the border is controlled more then usual, because of the migrations.
Last year (between january and november) they did catch 2000 people crossing border with croatia, thats 100% more like in 2016.
Yes, 500€ x 4 people = 2000€. The other two were in another car that hadn't cross yet.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:54 AM   #16446
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Croatia is so angry about the Slovenian hassles of Savudrija, and because Slovenia has no arguments to tackle the truth that this is Croatian territory it creates additional tensions in that region.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:59 AM   #16447
italystf

Please not again... I don't want this thread to be shut down again...

(I think that currently the migrant crisis is a bigger issue there than that silly territorial dispute).

OulaL, CSerpent liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #16448
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

I don't understand. Isn't Croatia in Schengen? You should be able to cross wherever you like...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:39 AM   #16449
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't understand. Isn't Croatia in Schengen? You should be able to cross wherever you like...
Nope, Croatia is not in the Schengen area. Though I think this is kind of bullying despite being in line with law.

g.spinoza, darko06 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:39 AM   #16450
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post
I drove back home from Hungary to Switzerland on december 29. It was a very quiet drive, almost any trucks and very little traffic over all.
I lost three minutes at Hegyeshalom, five minutes at Passau/Suben and then twenty (!) minutes at Au when entering Switzerland. It was around 9 PM and the officer had plenty of time...
I spent my holidays in Germany so I had to cross Switzerland 2 times. I was never stopped, the crossing at Schaffhausen was completely deserted... in Basel also we crossed quickly, but in the other direction (towards Switzerland) there was a long queue.
In Chiasso we were not stopped in either direction, but the traffic was so thick we queued nonetheless...
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM   #16451
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Nope, Croatia is not in the Schengen area.
Ah, that explains. I used to be more informed about UE issues...
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:12 PM   #16452
italystf

Croatia is not in Schengen yet, it's a Schengen candidate. It joined the Schengen Information System in 2017. A full Schengen membership is currently postponed due to the migrant crisis and the lax border enforcement especially with BiH.

Some gates at the border with Slovenia are left open to local farmers who own lands in both sides and have a written permission to cross at these points, but using those unguarded border crossings is forbidden to anyone else. Similar arangements for farmers existed also on the border between Italy and Yugoslavia (and later Slovenia, until it joined Schengen).
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #16453
italystf

Quote:
Nope, Croatia is not in the Schengen area. Though I think this is kind of bullying despite being in line with law.
Ok, it may sound bulling, but imagine being a policeman patrolling the border in a forest in the middle of the night and you see two cars in a place where they aren't supposed to be and you expect the worst (on the outer Schengen border illegal migrants, drug and human traffikers are daily matter). Its normal to become defensive, and put your hand close to your gun 'just in case'.
However they should phisically close off border crossings that are illegal to use (and maybe give keys to authorized people).

Verso liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #16454
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Please not again... I don't want this thread to be shut down again...

(I think that currently the migrant crisis is a bigger issue there than that silly territorial dispute).
First of all you post about some 'Italian family' that crossed on unmarked checkpoint so this is not for this thread.
Second what has the 'migrant crisis' are you even talking about? I am living where migrants literally passed in front of me. The crisis is over.

And third Slovenia decided to block Croatia joining any unions because of that dispute, so its not just a small thing. Very 'European'.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old January 10th, 2018, 02:13 PM   #16455
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Ok, it may sound bulling, but imagine being a policeman patrolling the border in a forest in the middle of the night and you see two cars in a place where they aren't supposed to be and you expect the worst (on the outer Schengen border illegal migrants, drug and human traffikers are daily matter). Its normal to become defensive, and put your hand close to your gun 'just in case'.
However they should phisically close off border crossings that are illegal to use (and maybe give keys to authorized people).
Exactly. We may not see it, but the police encounter traffickers crossing the border illegally on a regular basis and if they see two foreign cars crossing the border in the forest in the middle of the night, it's understandable they will be very cautious.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #16456
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Sorry for not being exact. IMHO, guarding a border line is not bullying. Capture the trespassers is not either.

But once the police find out the consequences, they should be given some symbolic fine, not 1.000 €. It is way too much for EU citizens.

Kpc21, TheVillager liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #16457
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Sorry for not being exact. IMHO, guarding a border line is not bullying. Capture the trespassers is not either.

But once the police find out the consequences, they should be given some symbolic fine, not 1.000 €. It is way too much for EU citizens.
Goverments typically follow a strict policy to illegal border crossing. The default fine for someone travelling from Helsinki to Tallinn without proper travel documents, is about 750 euros for an average-income citizen.

If someone tries to cross the Finnish-Russian border on the Finnish side, a substantial loss of money and time can be expected. It implies "managed" travelling to the police station, and interesting discussions with the police officers. If the same happens on the Russian side, best to call to the boss and apply for a two-months holiday.

Last summer, two German morons walked from Finland to Russia for six minutes. They were quite upset when the Finnish police arrested them next day, kept them two hours in a cell and transported them 150 kilometers to Imatra for the interview, which lasted for a whole day. They criticized the process "because on the Russian side, a 300 euro bribe to the frontier guards would have solved the case". The morons said to the local newspaper that they will sue Finland for bad treating of German citizens, but nothing has heard afterwards.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:05 PM   #16458
Junkie
Supervisor

Some countries have long land borders like Finland and Russia? So I guess its VERY easy just to pass it illegally considering its unguarded length. But we must distinct here between illegal immigration and refugees from the Middle East and curiosity 'to see' the other side with your identification documents.

BEEN IN:
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:15 PM   #16459
MattiG

(..) deleted double posting
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #16460
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Some countries have long land borders like Finland and Russia? So I guess its VERY easy just to pass it illegally considering its unguarded length.
The Finnish-Russian border is 1340 kilometers in length, and no millimeter of it is unguarded.

There is no fence preventing from entering the border, but about everyone tampering the border will be seen and arrested.

Last edited by MattiG; January 10th, 2018 at 04:26 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways