daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Quote:
Still the USA. By the way, NEXUS programme is the agreement between the USA and Canada to allow frequent travelers expedited border crossing process. The person must be low-security risk and has to be approved by both countries to receive a NEXUS card.
I still can't believe that two civilized nations, which are allies, still have such strict border controls.

I guess America doesn't like to give border security away to Canadian customs.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #1742
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I still can't believe that two civilized nations, which are allies, still have such strict border controls.
Yeah, and the security gets tighter and tighter as the times pass. With the latest step of implementing the final stage of the WHTI, the number of accepted documents for border crossing was dramatically reduced. Now, Canadians need either a passport of an enhanced driving licence to get into the USA. Americans can use the latter two and plus a passport card.

Quote:
I guess America doesn't like to give border security away to Canadian customs.
Canadian border guards are indeed more lenient and less suspicious when it comes to crossing by land or sea; however, getting to Canada by air is as hard as getting to the USA. To me it seems that an exaggerated sense of patriotism and a post-9/11 paranoia are the main factors in such tight border control between these two countries.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1743
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
We took a trip to British Columbia last week. To Canada, we crossed the border at Pacific Highway crossing station, and back to the USA, we took a ferry from Sidney to Anacortes. We passed immigration pre-clearance at the departure terminal on Canadian territory before boarding the ferry. I only have my actual photos from the land crossing because on the way back, the camera battery died.

Pacific Highway border station is located less than 2 km east of Pacific Arch station and can handle commercial traffic unlike the latter.

Approaching the border. This duty-free shop is on the US side. Passenger cars should take the left lane.

Still the USA. By the way, NEXUS programme is the agreement between the USA and Canada to allow frequent travelers expedited border crossing process. The person must be low-security risk and has to be approved by both countries to receive a NEXUS card.

The line was quite long, so we spent about 20 minutes waiting. The lady guard at out booth was obviously not in a hurry to let people go The poles seen on the left each represent a Canadian province with the respective name written on it.

The actual border.

Waiting...

Still waiting...

... and more waiting ...

This time, the border guard took all our passports/green cards and asked us more questions than usual. She actually scanned all our passports and double checked that we are who the passports say we are Finally, we were on our way to Whistler. The photos of Sea-to-Sky highway will be posted in Canadian highways thread.

Later we took the BC ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo and drove 110 km to Victoria. Since my parents' flight was from Seattle, we had a choice to return via Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen (BC Ferries) and then cross the border on I-5 or to take a Washington State Ferry from Sidney, BC to Anacortes, WA and cross the actual border on the water. We decided in favour of the latter simply because we have never taken this route. The border pre-clearance station (rather booth) is located at the Sidney terminal. At the time, it was staffed with only 3 unarmed US border guards and several Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers who wrote down the licence numbers of the outgoing cars. Since the US border guards were completely unarmed and had no jurisdiction whatsoever except to refuse the boarding, I guess Canadian officers were there to ensure no one would attack the American guards Another good thing about this pre-clearance procedure was that the Americans did not have a necessary equipment to take photo and fingerprints from non-US citizens (US-VISIT programme), so my dad (who is not a US citizen yet) did not have to get out of the car. Because we already passed an immigration chekpoint upon departure, my guess was that we would not have to wait in Anacortes. Oh boy, was I wrong. Indeed, there should not have been an immigration check upon arrival, but there was an unexpected customs enforcement check in which border guards would make every car open a trunk and ask numerous questions about the goods being imported into the USA. It took an additional hour. Very annoying They asked me if I was trying to import Cuban cigars, and I said no, but we joked that with Obama policies, it would be perfectly legal before too long.

Well, that's it. A lot of descriptions and very less photos.
I live about 10 minutes from there.

I just crossed there today. I can save 25 cents a litre by crossing the border.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1744
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Your profile says London/Hamilton

There is a Costco store in Bellingham about 33 km south of the border where the concentration of Canadian cars are extremely high. I was always thinking how far should the shopping be located in order to justify the driving and border crossing time? When I was in Canada, petrol costed 1.08 C$/litre, and given the weak stand of Canadian dollar at that time, I calculated that I paid only 14 cents per litre more than I would pay in the US. Not something to be overly concerned unless you own a big gas-guzzler and pump twice a week or so.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1745
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I live 10 minutes from the border. Gas it 2.69 a gallon. With the exchange rate of about 90 cents USD to CAD, it costs about 79 cents canadian to buy gas there.

Also there are plenty of gas stations right across the border within .5 km.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1746
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

France/Spain in Biriatou:

Available in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mtN8...e=channel_page
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I never noticed the Netherlands has also French-language border signs
On Belgian E25
[IMG]http://i32.************/mryc0i.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1748
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

There's an undersign saying "1 km", so it's a sign from Belgium. And in that's part of the French-speaking community, so it's in French

I'm pretty sure that the sign one kilometer further on will be in Dutch seeing those are (I think) supplied by the Netherlands.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1749
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

There must be more of those. I thought I have seen one on the road Gemmich(B) to Vaals (NL).
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1750
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Not directly, but they refused to stamp our passports.
Why did they refuse to stamp your passports?

I'm crossing next week and need to get a Ukranian stamp to satisfy the dragon in the Urząd Miasta
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1751
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I've crossed the Slovenian-Croatian border on monday, but not a single officer had a look in our passports (4 controls)
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1752
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Dutchies aren't known as terrorists. :P
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, drug dealers
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1754
Verso
Islander

Ah, forgot about that. Well, he was with his family, so they didn't look suspicious.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1755
Timon91
Error

How do you know?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1756
Verso
Islander

I'm a know-it-all.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1757
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Why did they refuse to stamp your passports?

I'm crossing next week and need to get a Ukranian stamp to satisfy the dragon in the Urząd Miasta
Because they wanted a bribe.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E314-A76 border crossing near Maasmechelen/Geleen (B-NL)
image hosted on flickr
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #1759
Morsue

Is it spelled Nederland or Nederlands in Dutch?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #1760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We say "Nederland", singular.

the Netherlands is actually plural. (De Nederlanden).

I always wondered why "Netherland" never worked out. Also; "Dutch" is nothing like "the Netherlands". (unlike German - Germany for instance).

Tags
highways, motorways