daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1881
DELCROID

Likes (Received): 790

Some videos of the brazilian-venezuelan border:

Brazilian side - customs (entering Brazil):

The Bras-Ven border-line:

Venezuelan side / customs:

Brazilian vehicles queuing for cheap venezuelan fuel.

Customs:

More images of the bras-ven border pass: Post # 616, Page 31 - Warning: heavy, many photos:

( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=616 )

Last edited by DELCROID; August 23rd, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
DELCROID no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1882
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmm, I haven't really noticed it, even MK plates before me only had to show their passports, nothing else. I didn't saw a single car that was checked beyond a quick glance at the passports. And that for an outer Schengen border. I think the SLO-HR border is by far the easiest to get through as an entrance/exit from Fort Europe.
I agree it is easy to cross the border. But EU invested millions of euros in last two years to upgrade or reconstruct (even unimportant) border points with Croatia (some are still in process of reconstruction). I guess EU wouldn't have spent this money if in their plans would be that Croatia will join Schengen soon.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #1883
babareebu serb

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I wonder how the other countries were. For example: How Turkish poeple dit that when they drove from Netherlands/Germany to Turkey. In those times that journey went through Yugoslavia (which had not really though checks), but how when they wanted to pass through Bulgaria? Or did they always drive through Greece?

And countries which were more 'closes' than others (like Romaina for example), was that also that bad?
I also wonder how people like there in Cered could easly cross the border to CS or not? Or from HU to RO (since those states were 'friends'). And RO-BG, HU-CS, CS-PL, PL-DD, etc.
I remember that Turks were travelling over former Yugoslavia,from Austrian border till border with Bulgaria,but over Bulgaria all parkings and restaurants by the road were closed for transit!You had main road as transit and it was not possible driving left or right to another towns,because they had police check points!
babareebu serb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #1884
babareebu serb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I wonder how the other countries were. For example: How Turkish poeple dit that when they drove from Netherlands/Germany to Turkey. In those times that journey went through Yugoslavia (which had not really though checks), but how when they wanted to pass through Bulgaria? Or did they always drive through Greece?

And countries which were more 'closes' than others (like Romaina for example), was that also that bad?
I also wonder how people like there in Cered could easly cross the border to CS or not? Or from HU to RO (since those states were 'friends'). And RO-BG, HU-CS, CS-PL, PL-DD, etc.
I remember also,Rumanian border with former Yugoslavia was closed during the night in 80*s years!!It was not possible travel to Albania,everybody knows why!Sometimes their trucks come in Yugoslavia to export some goods(I don*t know what)but a few only in couple of months.Hungarian customs were strong,with complete passport control,but nothing especially.
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1885
KudaGila

Borders and Dangers

I have been looking at different stories about border crossings between the US and Canada and would like to add some observations.

A lot depends on well so-called 'enhanced' measures are working and catching people crossing the border. But I can I have read of a lot more security on the US-Canada border then some subscribers may be aware of. I would also like to comment on a few previous submissions.

Firstly, the US is employing a drone in the East of the country covering quite a large area. The question that must be asked though is that if it is covering an area of thousands of miles, how effective can it be? Another drone is planned for the future to cover more border area, but the same question arises.

It has been said that the border is delineated by clear strips of land, but this is not always an accurate fact. In one location for example, their are two houses very close together in an isolated part of both countries. There is a road that runs right up to the US border from Canada, and vice versa. The two houses are on either side of the border with just a 'hop and a skip' between both premises.

Crossing through heavily wooded areas I learn are covered by sensors. What about wildlife? Can one crawl through on all fours and avoid these detectors and how far South of the border do they run? I would think it pretty obvious that if you are walking (or even driving on a road that leads to an isolated community, that one would suspect that you would be stopped sooner or later by either the cops or border security.

Part-time border crossings will be monitored by camera and even if you got through in a car and avoiding whatever obstacles are in front of you), then you will likely be quickly detected due to the limited number of roads leading from border crossing points. You'd be picked up even more quickly if you tried to walk across.

Finally, the isolated border area between WA and BC (0 Avenue, East of Vancouver) is separated in part at least by a ditch almost 6ft feet deep (at a guess). But as there is a sprinkling of traffic either side of the border, and especially on the US side, someone is going to phone border control and get you checked out.

I've also heard of border guards on horseback combing the mountainous areas between the US and Canada.

All-in-all, security between the two countries is possibly more comprehensive then most people may realise. Motion and heat detectors, mobile guards, drones, cameras, Minutemen Project (local residents reporting suspicious activity), etc.

Even if you managed to cross the border then you still have lots of miles to cover between your crossing point and destination. How far can someone travel without being stopped at some point?

If one is really desperate to cross into the US from Canada, then obtaining the aid of one of the dangerous drug gangs (Red Scorpions, et al) that operate in and around major cities, may be your only way in. You then have to ask what price you would have to pay to achieve this and if you would be betrayed.

Having said all of this, it is likely you would want to get out of the country you entered and return via a similar illegal route. Double jeopardy.

Finally, and as someone who has studied terrorism for some time and how it is used as a weapon by the West to ferment war in other countries, and to justify possible invasions of other countries, I can say that it is not the real problem for either Canada or the US. Drug-running, and all the violence that is associated with it, is the big issue - not terrorism. Simply look at California to see why.
KudaGila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1886
KudaGila

US / Canada: Borders and Dangers

I have been looking at different stories about border crossings between the US and Canada and would like to add some observations.

A lot depends on well so-called 'enhanced' measures are working and catching people crossing the border. But I can I have read of a lot more security on the US-Canada border then some subscribers may be aware of. I would also like to comment on a few previous submissions.

Firstly, the US is employing a drone in the East of the country covering quite a large area. The question that must be asked though is that if it is covering an area of thousands of miles, how effective can it be? Another drone is planned for the future to cover more border area, but the same question arises.

It has been said that the border is delineated by clear strips of land, but this is not always an accurate fact. In one location for example, their are two houses very close together in an isolated part of both countries. There is a road that runs right up to the US border from Canada, and vice versa. The two houses are on either side of the border with just a 'hop and a skip' between both premises.

Crossing through heavily wooded areas I learn are covered by sensors. What about wildlife? Can one crawl through on all fours and avoid these detectors and how far South of the border do they run? I would think it pretty obvious that if you are walking (or even driving on a road that leads to an isolated community, that one would suspect that you would be stopped sooner or later by either the cops or border security.

Part-time border crossings will be monitored by camera and even if you got through in a car and avoiding whatever obstacles are in front of you), then you will likely be quickly detected due to the limited number of roads leading from border crossing points. You'd be picked up even more quickly if you tried to walk across.

Finally, the isolated border area between WA and BC (0 Avenue, East of Vancouver) is separated in part at least by a ditch almost 6ft feet deep (at a guess). But as there is a sprinkling of traffic either side of the border, and especially on the US side, someone is going to phone border control and get you checked out.

I've also heard of border guards on horseback combing the mountainous areas between the US and Canada.

All-in-all, security between the two countries is possibly more comprehensive then most people may realise. Motion and heat detectors, mobile guards, drones, cameras, Minutemen Project (local residents reporting suspicious activity), etc.

Even if you managed to cross the border then you still have lots of miles to cover between your crossing point and destination. How far can someone travel without being stopped at some point?

If one is really desperate to cross into the US from Canada, then obtaining the aid of one of the dangerous drug gangs (Red Scorpions, et al) that operate in and around major cities, may be your only way in. You then have to ask what price you would have to pay to achieve this and if you would be betrayed.

Having said all of this, it is likely you would want to get out of the country you entered and return via a similar illegal route. Double jeopardy.

Finally, and as someone who has studied terrorism for some time and how it is used as a weapon by the West to ferment war in other countries, and to justify possible invasions of other countries, I can say that it is not the real problem for either Canada or the US. Drug-running, and all the violence that is associated with it, is the big issue - not terrorism. Simply look at California to see why.
KudaGila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1887
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by babareebu serb View Post
It was not possible travel to Albania,everybody knows why!Sometimes their trucks come in Yugoslavia to export some goods
I remember when I was in Ohrid in 1982, I have seen a car with Albanian plate wich bas black, had a white font and a red star. Beacuse it was an 'expensive' car, It surely had to be from a very important person from Albania.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1888
Szablo

I was in a two interesting places on the latvian-estonian border this month and I would like to show you some photos.

Ainaži LV / Ikla EST

First of these places is located on the Baltic Sea shore. It is Ainaži on the Latvian side and Ikla on the Estonian side. When you are driving a car this border can surprise you, because there are not any buildings of border point, just a road sign "Estonia" or "Latvija". So it is 100% Schengen border. But there is also something special - a stone pier from the road to the sea.

Photos taken on 8th of August 2009

One of the first houses on the Estonian side

Welcome to Estonia

Welcome to Latvia

Here is the beginning of the stone pier.

The pier is on the Latvian side but the border is located just a few meters from it.

Latvia on the left, Estonia on the right

View in opposite direction, Estonia on the left, Latvia on the right

Estonia

Latvia

Estonia again

The end of the pier

The road from the pier to the main road

The border in the garden

The observation tower

We are on the main road again. Here Latvia begins.

A boundary marker

The first houses on the Estonian side and the shop in the dark house

Here you can see the sea from the road.

Valka LV / Valga EST

The second place is a city called Valka on the Latvian side and Valga on the Estonian side. It is one city divided into two countries. The border is located in the city center. It comes along and across the main streets of the city. As far as I know it was quite a big problem before the Schengen Area enlargement in 2007. Fortunately now the border is opened.

Photos taken on 13th of August 2009

The bus and the buildings are in Estonia but the trees in the background are in Latvia.

The first street is Estonian but the second street and the buildings are already in Latvia.

Entrance into Valka and Latvia

A boundary marker

A monument on the border

First houses in the Latvian part of the city

View in opposite direction (from Latvia to Estonia)

The first street is Latvian but the second street and the car are already in Estonia.

Remember to take a document with you.

General view of the border from the Latvian side

View from Latvia to Estonia

General view of the border from the Estonian side

Thanks for watching!
Szablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1889
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Thanks for the photos. I wonder how they controlled the border before Schengen. Poland had some places that were split by a border after WWII, but for the most part they were located on rivers so they were easier to control. (Gorlitz/Zgorzelec, Frankfurt an der Oder/Slubice, Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin to name a few) I'm not aware of any cities split on a non-Schengen border currently either with Ukraine, Belarus or Russia.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1890
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

What does 'valka' means

in polish 'walka' means fight
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1891
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
Thanks for the photos. I wonder how they controlled the border before Schengen. Poland had some places that were split by a border after WWII, but for the most part they were located on rivers so they were easier to control. (Gorlitz/Zgorzelec, Frankfurt an der Oder/Slubice, Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin to name a few) I'm not aware of any cities split on a non-Schengen border currently either with Ukraine, Belarus or Russia.
You had the divided city of Gorizia (I) and Nova Gorica (SLO) there was a fence before Slovenia entered EU. The train station is on slovenian side, if I am not wrong.

In Slovakia you have a village divided between SK and Ukraine. Only few years ago they made a border post there. I just dont remember the name now. I will check.
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1892
Szablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
I wonder how they controlled the border before Schengen. Poland had some places that were split by a border after WWII, but for the most part they were located on rivers so they were easier to control. (Gorlitz/Zgorzelec, Frankfurt an der Oder/Slubice, Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin to name a few)
Yes, situation in Cieszyn and Zgorzelec is quite different because the borders are on the rivers. Here you can find the border on the streets, in the gardens... On some old photos in the internet I have seen the fences and some closed streets...
Szablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1893
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Ok i found it, the village is Velke Slemence on slovak side and Male Slemence on Ukrainian one.
You can see how the border looks like here:

http://karpaty.prygl.net/zakarpati-hranice.php?lg=en
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1894
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Very nice photos Szablo! Pity you didn't take pics of "Via Baltica" border though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
What does 'valka' means
Drag, wear.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1895
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

There are also some spots on the SLO-HR border where the border runs through villages and even houses. In Yugoslavia this was no problem, of course, but now it is, and certainly since SLO is in Schegen.

Interesting photos BTW. On the sign that you have to take a document with you: Why in Russian and Latvian and not both in Estonian and Latvian?
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #1896
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Ok i found it, the village is Velke Slemence on slovak side and Male Slemence on Ukrainian one.
You can see how the border looks like here:

http://karpaty.prygl.net/zakarpati-hranice.php?lg=en
And this is how it looked like:

And thanks to Schengen Ukrainian border looks almost like iron curtain:

source: www.border.sk
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

I wonder why Fort Europe has easy Schengen borders and those which are not different than the Iron Curtain we know from the 80's. Croatia, Romania etc. shouldn't be a problem, but Ukraine and Russia are really a pain in the ass.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1898
Zsimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
And this is how it looked like:

And thanks to Schengen Ukrainian border looks almost like iron curtain:

source: www.border.sk

Nagyszelmenc (Veľké Slemence) : 586/604 : Hungarian
Kisszelmenc (Малі Селменці): 185/200: Hungarian

:S
Zsimi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1899
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

About the situation with divided houses - we also had such cases with Yugoslavia. The border was rerouted somewhere in 1920(year, not decade) after the WW1. Sadly enough, now the region, where the border runs is an depopulated, isolated and one of the poorest in both countries. That is why these buildings are now ruins.

As for the iron curtain - there where never any obstacle between BG and YU/SCG/SRB. But the old net defenses from the times of the Warsaw pact, located like 10 km from the Turkish border, are still in use. The wood is cut on both sides of these nets, so an violator of the border can be easily spotted. If you want, you may see this in Google Earth - start from the Kapitan Andreevo BCP (they begin right east from the check point), or from the see (5-6 km. north from the village of Rezovo).
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #1900
babareebu serb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsimi View Post
Nagyszelmenc (Veľké Slemence) : 586/604 : Hungarian
Kisszelmenc (Малі Селменці): 185/200: Hungarian

:S
This is a road for illegal cigarettes transport from Ukraine!(Marlboro box flip-top is 7 euro!!)

Tags
highways, motorways