daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:48 PM   #181
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Yes there are... I have all of them on low quality (telefon) pics...

I just dont have the time to sort them out yet

rushhour peak was supricingly high on 2x3 lane roads!

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #182
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Interesting.

I was just browsing through four different car rental websites that operate at the main airport (Keflavik International Airport)

http://www.budget.is/budgetonline/is...nsf/c/car_hire
http://www.avis.is/avisonline/is-gb/avis.nsf/c/fleet
https://www.hertz.is/rates.html
http://www.holdur.is/en/carbooking?s...ng=en&tegund=2

A lot choices really but my main criterion and requirements would be:
-car must be European (since I'm visiting Iceland which is a European country, I'd want to at least patronize European products as much as possible)
-AND NO SUBCOMPACTS (i.e. anything Volkswagen Polo or smaller is out of the question)

Other than that, I'm open to choices:
-I can drive automatic or manual stick shift (since I was trained to do that)
-Oh and cost would not be a concern for me. In short, I have funds to rent anything from a Volkswagen Golf up to a Skoda Octavia........all the way up to an Audi Q7 or a BMW 7 series

With that said, I do have some questions and concerns regarding choosing a rental car in Iceland.

1) What are the general driving conditions and driving environment in Iceland? (my route would mostly be Kelfavik Airport<->Blue Lagoon Geothermal Spa in Grindavik <->Reykjavik (capital city).........so yeah mostly route 41 and a bit of route 43)
2) Contrary to what some people are saying here, do I need a 4x4/4WD vehicle? Do I need an off-road type vehicle (i.e. SUV with all-season off-road tires and stuff) or a heavy-duty vehicle?
3) What is the approximate or estimate distances between petrol stations (aka gasoline stations or fuel pump stations) in Iceland in general? How many are there?
4) Where can I get or purchase GPS Satellite Navigation device for Iceland? (in case my rental car doesn't GPS Satellite Navigation System built into it)

Thanks =)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #183
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

just been there

1) The roads are good. Even the gravel ones. Tip: take the 42 from the southcoast to reykjavik instead of the coastal road.
2) A 4 x4 is for that area not needed. Stay on the road

3) There are enough petrol stations.. If you stay in that area it shouldnt not be a problem.

4) Dunno

And btw..
i rented a 4x4 octivia which was a pleasure to drive.
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #184
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That bridge looks... fragile.
It looks like one lane bridge - in that case bridge is not so "fragile".
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #185
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Soon we'll be able to see Iceland like StreetView does, but on different platform, called Já 360°.

Press release

It is in the news

Map showing what's been photographed so far

Preview of a finished product:

http://ja360.is/
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #186
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10061

Iceland is now viewable on Google streetview too:

https://maps.google.rs/maps?q=Icelan...106.56,,0,1.39
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #187
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Iceland is now viewable on Google streetview too:

https://maps.google.rs/maps?q=Icelan...106.56,,0,1.39
Great. Now I will explore Reykjavik.

Today a foreign driver was accused of driving at 134 km /h on the Sudurlandsvegur Highway according to the police in Hvolsvelli. The man did not listen after his first fine, but he kept driving further. The driver continued east and was again stopped by the police on the Sudurlandsvegur Highway, now in the lava fields. He then drove at 143 km /h and was charged of speeding again.
The man is guilty and he has to pay 160.000ISK/969EUR fine
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #188
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Great. Now I will explore Reykjavik.

Today a foreign driver was accused of driving at 134 km /h on the Sudurlandsvegur Highway according to the police in Hvolsvelli. The man did not listen after his first fine, but he kept driving further. The driver continued east and was again stopped by the police on the Sudurlandsvegur Highway, now in the lava fields. He then drove at 143 km /h and was charged of speeding again.
The man is guilty and he has to pay 160.000ISK/969EUR fine
Hmm.......what's the maximum speed limit in Iceland? 90 km/h?

If so, I think 90 km/h is slow.........though of course it depends on the quality of the road surface and the road conditions and other factors.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #189
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Hmm.......what's the maximum speed limit in Iceland? 90 km/h?

If so, I think 90 km/h is slow.........though of course it depends on the quality of the road surface and the road conditions and other factors.
Right now I'm exploring Reykjavik on google earth and I see they have very modern high standard of roads, wide 4-lane motorway looking ones with sparse traffic. No doubt that foreign driver put the pedal to the metal. Strange that the speed limits are as low as 90km/h.

Blackraven liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #190
Blackraven

Quote:
Right now I'm exploring Reykjavik on google earth and I see they have very modern high standard of roads, wide 4-lane motorway looking ones with sparse traffic. No doubt that foreign driver put the pedal to the metal. Strange that the speed limits are as low as 90km/h.
Agreed.

I mean, it's fine if there's ice-and-snow or if it's raining or if the roads there are full of potholes and stuff........then the speed limit may be justifiable in those situations.

But to implement something like that on wide open road on dry conditions and that your the only car that is on that road.........well I think that's counterproductive.

With that said:
I suggest that Iceland road authorities should read upon on studies and academic papers stating on how an absurdly low speed limit can actually cause drowsiness and driver inattention that causes accidents and fatalities...
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #191
hjf

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Agreed.

[...]

With that said:
I suggest that Iceland road authorities should read upon on studies and academic papers stating on how an absurdly low speed limit can actually cause drowsiness and driver inattention that causes accidents and fatalities...
Objection, your honor.

Having driven in Iceland some 3000 km in summertime, I can tell you, that the speed limit is just fine. Although there are (short) stretches that would allow for higher limits, the roads are designed to fit both the traffic and budget volume of Iceland. Apart from the wheather (wind, rain and sometimes snow even in august) there are turns, one lane bridges and other stuff that require constant attention. Some parts of main road network itself are one lane only (eg 61 from Isafjördur to Holmavik), and I am not speaking about a gravel road section. This is perfectly fine since AADT is as low as ~200 vehicles/24h on these sections.

btw, in my eyes the icelandic authorities are doing a brilliant job in educating everyone about driving in Iceland:

http://www.us.is/kennslumyndband/mpe...in_Iceland.mpg

Mind you, this is a brilliant place to go to. Not least for the experience of driving. And this is from a German for whom 200 km/h is a most comfortable speed.
hjf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #192
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

I guess you mean the airport road as the only non-urban expressway. It looks like a motorway, but doesn't have restrictions on slower vehicles or even pedestrians.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #193
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
I did that too but I saw that many divided roads around Reykjavik cannot ba classificated as motorways at all because they have roundabouts and traffic lights.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #194
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I did that too but I saw that many divided roads around Reykjavik cannot ba classificated as motorways at all because they have roundabouts and traffic lights.
The red lines on this map show the stretches of road that resemble urban expressways in Reykjavík, meaning a median and grade separation.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #195
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Metrostav and Sudurverk began tunneling the Nordfjordur tunnel on Iceland. It will become the longest Icelandic tunnel with almost 8 kms. Metrostav already built two tunnels on Iceland. The tunneling is done with Drill&Blast method. The work should be finished in 2017.

[IMG]http://oi43.************/faxzkh.jpg[/IMG]

http://ekonomika.idnes.cz/metrostav-...5_ekoakcie_spi

Last edited by Surel; December 19th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #196
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The tunneling is done with Drill&Blast method.
Norway does that too, apparently it's a very cost-effective method. According to Vegagerdin the project + construction cost is only € 75 million.

Website: http://www.vegagerdin.is/verkefnavef...jardargong.nsf
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #197
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Norway does that too, apparently it's a very cost-effective method. According to Vegagerdin the project + construction cost is only € 75 million.

Website: http://www.vegagerdin.is/verkefnavef...jardargong.nsf
Yeah, it is the cheapest method. Unfortunately, its possible to do it in only a good geomorphology. You need good old hard rock, something that is abundant in both Iceland and Norway.

Those tunnels often don't even need any paneling.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #198
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Can anyone tell the real story behind this delay of road constructions? Surely there must be more going on that this elves story, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://bigstory.ap.org/article/icelands-hidden-elves-delay-road-projects
Elf advocates have joined forces with environmentalists to urge the Icelandic Road and Coastal Commission and local authorities to abandon a highway project building a direct route from the Alftanes peninsula, where the president has a home, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer. They fear disturbing elf habitat and claim the area is particularly important because it contains an elf church.

The project has been halted until the Supreme Court of Iceland rules on a case brought by a group known as Friends of Lava, who cite both the environmental and the cultural impact — including the impact on elves — of the road project. The group has regularly brought hundreds of people out to block the bulldozers.
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #199
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

It is going through a lava field, which is considered as area of outstanding beauty by some. I don't know what is the legal status of it though, if it is a protected area or any kind of nature reserve. What I don't get is why they just can't expand existing road?

Here is project's website and map:

http://www.vegagerdin.is/Verkefnavef...HfjBessast.nsf

willbyback liked this post
Bart_LCY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #200
normie999

Likes (Received): 1

I'm not a local nor an expert (therefore response from Icelanders most welcome!), but I gather the rationale behind this was the construction of a new residential area that was cancelled after the 2008 crash.

Some say that there is a political motive behind the continuing construction of what is now a project surplus to requirements because the land involved is owned by leading families associated with Iceland's governing parties, and will make a fast buck through its sale. The local authorities are using the employment card to justify the construction going ahead.

This is the first time I've actually seen a map of the plan, and it really does look pretty insupportable to me. The road would lead to the headland where the President's house is located plus a small community with fewer than 3,000 souls. A more useful development in my opinion would be the improvement of the crossroads at the southwest end of the proposed road, which is still traffic light-controlled and pretty clunky to use.
normie999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote