daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #221
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_LCY View Post
For sake of selling it - why not? But better not for using it. They don't need more pollution, especially Reykjavik. With cheap electricity they will be the first country to convert to electric vehicles only. At least that's the plan...
It's a good plan, but the Falkland Islands (not yet a fully independent country) might be first.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #222
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

How will they do that? I tought Icelanders love to drive monstertruck on Vatnajökull and such - the geography and remoteness doesn't really favour EVs, no?
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #223
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
How will they do that? ... the geography and remoteness doesn't really favour EVs, no?
I suspect most drivers very rarely if ever leave the populated southwest area.

Last edited by mcarling; April 8th, 2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #224
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Yeah, few people commute to work on those heavily modded SUVs. EV range isn't a practical problem for most people. I guess some might feel a loss of "freedom" if they can't drive their vehicle to the other side of the country in a single charge, even if few people ever do this.

mcarling liked this post
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #225
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

On a map, Oxnadalsheidhi pass is not the only way to drive that route. Is the coast route not passable?

I always forget that Iceland has a "second" town, Akureyri, beyond the Reykjavik/Keflavik "metropolis". That it's tenuously connected to the rest of the island is interesting. It must be incredibly isolating to live there. Yet it looks like a very nice town.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; April 13th, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #226
mcarling

Akureyri to Reykjavik is (according to Google) 376 kilometers. Tesla models have, conservatively, about 400 to 500 kilometer range on a single charge.

Rokugatsu liked this post
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #227
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
On a map, Oxnadalsheidhi pass is not the only way to drive that route. Is the coast route not passable?

I always forget that Iceland has a "second" town, Akureyri, beyond the Reykjavik/Keflavik "metropolis". That it's tenuously connected to the rest of the island is interesting. It must be incredibly isolating to live there. Yet it looks like a very nice town.
You can use the coastal route as well. It's only been three or four years since it opened when the tunnels between Siglufjörður and Ólafsfjörður were finished. It isn't useful as a back-up to Öxnadalsheiði though because any severe winter storm that closes the road over Öxnadalsheiði will also close the coastal route. The coastal road clings to steep mountainsides that are prone to avalanches when it snows.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #228
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

A Busy Reykjavik street. They seem to have very effective closely spaced street lighting here, maybe because its very dark here at night.

The no turn left sign has the same design as in Sweden.

Outside Reykjavik on the icelandic countryside, driving is demanding, usually a 4 wheel drive jeep is required.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #229
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Is this on a road between Reykjavik and one of the other Icelandic "major" towns?
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #230
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I though that you could drive around the entire island with a regular passenger car, and SUVs are necessary only to explore the unhabitated intrior.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #231
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I though that you could drive around the entire island with a regular passenger car, and SUVs are necessary only to explore the unhabitated intrior.
As I know u can drive with regular passanger car around the whole island and SUVs (with modiefed big tires) is needed only to explore "unhabitated" intrior*.

*The fact is that Iceland is very unhabitated everywhere except around Reykjavik, so word unhabitated is not so convenient for this country
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #232
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
The ring road is reportedly driveable with a passenger car, but some parts are gravel, so you want a larger car for comfort.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #233
hjf

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
That is correct. Iceland has some 5000 km paved roads in excellent condition. No need for a 4x4 on major gravel roads as well.

More details can be found on http://www.vegagerdin.is/vegakerfid/slitlog/

hjf
hjf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #234
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

It is, however, highly recommended to drive a 4x4 car, because you never know what surprises you may find in Iceland.

mcarling liked this post
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #235
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
It is, however, highly recommended to drive a 4x4 car, because you never know what surprises you may find in Iceland.
Iceland’s interior routes, plus some shorter gravel tracks off the Ringroad, can be really rough, even if not requiring four-wheel-drive. Four-wheel-drive-only roads – on which you may encounter stretches of sand, boulders, ice or river crossings – are designated with an “F” on road maps (for instance, the Sprengisandur route is F26), and it’s illegal to drive conventional vehicles along them.

If you stick to the Reykjavik area, I think an ordinary car will do.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #236
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Hopefully they find oil in Iceland so they can build tunnels like the Norwegians, all around
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #237
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Hopefully they find oil in Iceland so they can build tunnels like the Norwegians, all around
I don't suspect that the AADT outside the Reykjavik area justifies boring many tunnels.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Norway has many tunnels that carry less than 1,000 vehicles per day.

I don't know where tunnels in Iceland may be needed though. Many tunnels in Norway are built as a protection from avalanches.

Iceland has a long undersea tunnel, the 5.770 meter long Hvalfjörður Tunnel which opened in 1998.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #239
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Which is here: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Reykja...,+Islanda&z=12

Another couple of long tunnels: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Reykja...,+Islanda&z=15

Finally, there is this Y-shaped tunnel: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Reykja...,+Islanda&z=15

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #240
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't know where tunnels in Iceland may be needed though. Many tunnels in Norway are built as a protection from avalanches.
Northern Iceland, perhaps? The area around Akureyri is quite mountainous and snow is a big problem during winter.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote