daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #241
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
It is, however, highly recommended to drive a 4x4 car, because you never know what surprises you may find in Iceland.
Probably anywhere the Google car went, any car can go (at least in summer, of course)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #242
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Iceland’s interior routes, plus some shorter gravel tracks off the Ringroad, can be really rough, even if not requiring four-wheel-drive. Four-wheel-drive-only roads – on which you may encounter stretches of sand, boulders, ice or river crossings – are designated with an “F” on road maps (for instance, the Sprengisandur route is F26), and it’s illegal to drive conventional vehicles along them.

If you stick to the Reykjavik area, I think an ordinary car will do.
It isn't illegal to drive conventional vehicles on F roads. The roads vary in quality and some of them can be passable in regular car. I have taken my own piece of shit sedan across some of the easier mountain roads. If you rent a non 4x4 car in Iceland, there will however be a large sticker in a prominent place in the vehicle to remind you that you are forbidden by the terms of the rental agreement to drive on F roads and doing so will void all insurance and make the driver personally liable for any damage done to the vehicle.

Even if you have a 4x4 vehicle, there is no insurance that covers damage done when crossing unbridged rivers
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #243
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I've read that most rental car companies in Alaska forbid customers to take their vehicles up to the Dalton Highway and allow them only in the most "civilized" areas of the state (i.e. south of Fairbansk, where paved roads exist).
In Australia many rental companies allow daytime-only driving on outback roads, since collisions with kangaroos or other big animals are more likely to happen at night.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #244
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarki View Post
Even if you have a 4x4 vehicle, there is no insurance that covers damage done when crossing unbridged rivers
"Crossing unbridged rivers" is something that sounds so surreal to me...
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #245
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:

Are there marked roads on maps that crosses rivers and there are no bridges ?

Its expensive to rent a car in countries with expensive insurance costs due to high risk of damage to the vehicle. Iceland has dangerous roads, bad weather and active volcanos.

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #246
Bjarki

Quote:
Are there marked roads on maps that crosses rivers and there are no bridges ?

Its expensive to rent a car in countries with expensive insurance costs due to high risk of damage to the vehicle. Iceland has dangerous roads, bad weather and active volcanos.

Yeah some F-roads do cross rivers on fords. Fords are marked with a small v on maps as I remember.

willbyback liked this post
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #247
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:

Does your car insurance not cover all types of road assitance in Iceland ?
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #248
devo

Likes (Received): 41

I guess that sign just said so.

Anyway, Ófært is now my new favourite word.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #249
Warsaw spectator
concrete jungle

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I guess that sign just said so.

Anyway, Ófært is now my new favourite word.
posibly it means off-road, I guess..
Warsaw spectator está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #250
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

The Whale Bay tunnel is closed tonight.

The whalefjord tunnel is closed tonight. Meaning a trip from Reykjavik to Akranes will be 90km longer and take an extra 1 hour of driving.

Those who are on the move over the weekend will have to drive around the Whale bay due to the closure of the Hvalfjörður tunnel tonight.

The tunnel will be closed from 20 o'clock in the evening to 6AM in the morning of Monday October 20th .

This is the longest continuous shutdown of the tunnel since it was built. This is the first time there is a renovation of the pavement of the tunnel road since it was opened in July of 1998.

A passage for emergency vehicles will be kept open during the roadworks in the tunnel.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #251
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
I'd like to see some figures for "substantial expenses". Has anybody here actually had the experience ...?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:20 AM   #252
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
I'd like to see some figures for "substantial expenses". Has anybody here actually had the experience ...?
Meaning the cost of paying a tow truck to drive 150km into the icelandic outback
and pick up your vehicle, when your insurance is not valid.
My guess 10-20k EUR.

A truck drove off the road at Hellisheiði, 30km SE of Reykjavik

Now Winter has arrived in Iceland, resulting in difficult road conditions in the northern region.
Ice and snowstorms on road 76 Siglufjörður - Ólafsfjörður

Snowy Reykjavik streets

Last edited by NordikNerd; October 21st, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:46 PM   #253
Bjarki

Quote:

Does your car insurance not cover all types of road assitance in Iceland ?
I did not know much about that so I looked it up and it seems that there is road assistance is not covered by all insurance companies and when it is, it is rather limited in scope and covers only the biggest towns and nearby roads.
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:33 PM   #254
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Road assistance isn't covered by your car insurance company everywhere, it isn't here either.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:45 PM   #255
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Snow and ice in the Reykjavik area this morning resulted in delays for many commuters. The situation was especially bad in Kópavogur, due to an
error snow removal didnt begin there until eight o'clock in the morning.

The city of Kópavogur received numerous calls and inquiries. Residents requested salting, pointing out the slippery streets in the city. These were either suggestions, questions or complaints.

The local authorities did not consider that the city is liable for potential damage to vehicles on icy roads this morning.

Kópavogur authorities earlier today stated that the procedures for snow removal on the streets and salting in the community will now be reviewed.

It seems like both motorists and authorities are ill prepared for the annual snow. It always comes as a surprise.
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:56 PM   #256
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsaw spectator View Post
posibly it means off-road, I guess..
It actually means impassable in this context, just as the english translation.

Also, driving past this sign probably involves driving completely off road. So any degree of road insurance wouldn't make any difference. You're off road. Iceland or Sahara, the same rules (or lack of coverage) applies.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM   #257
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Yesterday it was not recommended to drive in some parts of Iceland, due to a very strong wind, it was 37 m/s
(34–40m/s = Fresh gale) The Öresund bridge closes at 34 m/s

Ringroad 1 at Selfoss / Ingólfsfjall
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #258
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

God, is that guy driving with not even the low beams on?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:13 PM   #259
Bjarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
It actually means impassable in this context, just as the english translation.

Also, driving past this sign probably involves driving completely off road. So any degree of road insurance wouldn't make any difference. You're off road. Iceland or Sahara, the same rules (or lack of coverage) applies.
It's a sign that is put up in the autumn where you enter F-roads to make clear to travellers that F-roads are not serviced in any way during winter and can be assumed to be impassable.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:24 AM   #260
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Overall the roads of Iceland are not very well maintained during the wintertime. This is probably due to the sparse traffic.
The roads are divided in to 3 categories of maintenance level.

1) Every effort is made to keep road surfaces free
of ice and snow on a 24-hour basis.

2) In icy conditions, skid protection is normally only
provided on road sections where driving may
be dangerous.

3) In icy conditions the general rule is to provide skid protection only in very
dangerous spots.

Only the Reykjavik area roads are category 1, meaning that all driving elsewhere in Iceland during the wintertime is difficult.