daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #261
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't know where tunnels in Iceland may be needed though. Many tunnels in Norway are built as a protection from avalanches.

Iceland has a long undersea tunnel, the 5.770 meter long Hvalfjöršur Tunnel which opened in 1998.
Metrostav and Sudurverk consorcium digs the longest tunnel on Iceland (7 908 m).

http://metrostav.cz/en/references/pr...at_work?id=859
Construction of the Noršfjöršur Road Tunnel Iceland

Investor: Vegageršin, Reyjkjavķk, Iceland
Designer: Mannvit Engineering, Reyjkjavķk, Iceland
Construction Terms: 08.2013/09.2017
Price: 1 630.0 mil. CZK (some € 60 mil), the technology excluded.

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:23 PM   #262
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

It will link this town with the rest of the world: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Nor%C3...landa&t=m&z=12

Another tunnel is under construction near Akureyri.

http://www.tunneltalk.com/Iceland-Ma...oad-tunnel.php
http://www.tunneltalk.com/Iceland-Fe...oad-tunnel.php
http://www.tunneltalk.com/Iceland-22...rdur-plans.php
http://www.tunneltalk.com/Iceland-Ju...evitalised.php

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #263
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

There is always a road tunnel under construction or in a planning/design phase somewhere in the country. After those two currently under construction I expect that the next one will be in the Westfjords region, shown in green on this map:

It has been in the promises of politicians for at least 20 years but they should get to it eventually. Then there is a pressure for a tunnel to the town of Seyšisfjöršur in East Iceland. That would be the longest road tunnel* in Iceland at around 10-12 km if it gets built.

* The longest tunnel of any type in Iceland will always be the water tunnels of Kįrahnjśkar hydropower station, those have a combined length of 72 kilometers and are the longest such hydropower tunnels in the world.

Last edited by Bjarki; October 24th, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #264
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

The whalefjord tunnel is closed tonight. Meaning a trip from Reykjavik to Akranes will be 90km longer and take an extra 1 hour of driving.

Those who are on the move over the weekend will have to drive around the Whale bay due to the closure of the Hvalfjöršur tunnel tonight.

The tunnel will be closed from 20 o'clock in the evening to 6AM in the morning of Monday October 20th .

This is the longest continuous shutdown of the tunnel since it was built. This is the first time there is a renovation of the pavement of the tunnel road since it was opened in July of 1998.

A passage for emergency vehicles will be kept open during the roadworks in the tunnel.
That is just my luck. I arrived in Iceland on the 19th. Plan was to drive from Keflavik to Akranes stopping in Reykjavik on the way. We had to drive the whole detour in pouring rain in darkness. I didn't realise that this was the first closure ever. We took it back a few days later and it was a nice drive through.

Otherwise driving in Iceland was great, it was very windy the next day, snowing in the West region but improved for the next week. We had a Kia Rio rental, it was probably to most boring thing I have ever been inside of. It was fine on most roads but did struggle on gravel due to poor ground clearance. We did reach the start of an F-Road, but the gravel road up to it was bad enough. I will post some pictures eventually.

Suburbanist, verreme liked this post
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #265
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Iceland has no motorways, but expressways. More urban road crossings around Reykjavik are rebuilt with viaducts, which have increased traffic safety substantailly .

According to an observation by the icelandic road administration, the construction of viaducts has reduced the number of accidents by 46-67%

Several crosssings were recently built in the Reykjavik area. The intersection between the Sudurlandsvegur and the Vesturlandsvegur was built in 2006, and the intersection at the Reykjanesbraut and Arnarnes road opened in 2008.

In the junction between the Reykjanesbraut and Vķfilsstašavegar an unusually high number of accidents occurred in 2013, but after the opening of the viaduct accidents decreased about 67%

Last edited by NordikNerd; October 31st, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM   #266
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

In time enough of those segments with overpasses will connect together and form what will effectively be a motorway, if that hasn't happened already.

Anyways, off topic, but how do I pronounce the character "š"? I get that the other unusual icelandic character, the "thorn" makes a "th" sound. But what I've read about the "eth" in its upper and lower case forms doesn't make sense, is it basically the same?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; October 31st, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:37 AM   #267
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

They are the same
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:57 PM   #268
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

The weather is causing difficulties to icelandic drivers. Wintertime driving on Highland roads is in principle not prohibited but the driving is the driver's responsibility. It is important not to take unnecessary risks and keep in mind that in many places in the countryside the telephone contact is limited. Now, however, driving is banned on certain roads because of volcanic eruptions and it's likely to be prohibited to drive on Highland roads in spring when frost is leaving the ground, to prevent damage to roads and nature, according to a recent release from the Road Administration.

The area with black stripes is close for traffic.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM   #269
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Winter + ice/snow + volacanic eruptions as well?

Wow that some very constrasting extreme weather and climate over there in Iceland (it's like polar opposites of Mother Nature)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:17 PM   #270
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Winter + ice/snow + volacanic eruptions as well?

Wow that some very constrasting extreme weather and climate over there in Iceland (it's like polar opposites of Mother Nature)
Yes, swedish winter weather seems like a breeze compared to the icelandic road conditions right now.

Lousy weather at Öxnadalsheiši

At the Öxnadalsheiši there is poor visibility, especially for elderly drivers with night blindness it's important to take care. It's very windy more or less all day, especially at Stašarsveit.

Otherwise, it“s windy everywhere in the northwest of the country and limited visibility on mountain roads, slush on the roads in the lowlands.

In the South, the roads are passable, but there are icy storms in the Hafnarfjall mountains.

In the west the roads are mostly passable in the lowlands.

There is an impassable snowstorm at Steingrķmsfjaršarheiši.

On the north-west coast, the roads are mostly passable in the lowlands but there are storms in Hśnavatnssżsla and Skagafirši.

On the northeast there is black ice on mountain roads and some hail showers.

Roads in the eastern part of Iceland are navigable for the most though, spots of ice on mountain roads. Good road conditions on the southeast coast.

Last edited by NordikNerd; November 9th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #271
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Interesting figures there, CZ. There were some people who were worried that the capital Reykjavik is becoming too crowded with cars. Hmm.........with the figures you posted, it looks like Iceland doesn't have to worry yet regarding vehicular overpopulation.
Think again !

Stau auf der Autobahn ? No it's a Reykjavik expressway.
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #272
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That photo was probably taken at Miklabraut, there is a traffic light behind the photographer.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #273
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That photo was probably taken at Miklabraut, there is a traffic light behind the photographer.

Miklabraut is the widest road in Iceland. In this shot and for a short stretch it is a 6 lane highway. It that connects the suburbs and the countryside to downtown Reykjavķk.

This expressway is not always busy.

Possibly the busiest road on Iceland, Otherwise it wouldnt have 6 lanes. If I have read right the ADT is about 70.000 to 100.000.

http://www.tft.lth.se/fileadmin/tft/...is139scrHB.pdf

Last edited by NordikNerd; November 9th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #274
hjf

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Miklabraut is the widest road in Iceland. In this shot and for a short stretch it is a 6 lane highway. It that connects the suburbs and the countryside to downtown Reykjavķk.

Possibly the busiest road on Iceland, Otherwise it wouldnt have 6 lanes. If I have read right the ADT is about 70.000 to 100.000.
In fact, the highest ADT of any road in Iceland according to Vegagerdin (the icelandic road administration) is just over 70 000 on road 49.

http://www.vegagerdin.is/media/upply...13_a_netid.pdf
hjf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #275
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf View Post
In fact, the highest ADT of any road in Iceland according to Vegagerdin (the icelandic road administration) is just over 70 000 on road 49.

http://www.vegagerdin.is/media/upply...13_a_netid.pdf

According to this report the ADT is 100.000 at the crossing Miklabraut/Reykjanesbraut. This was in 1997 so probably the traffic flow has increased.
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #276
Bjarki

Quote:
Think again !

Stau auf der Autobahn ? No it's a Reykjavik expressway.
Morning rush hour. Everybody going west and nobody going east. Seems like poor use of space.
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #277
Bjarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
In time enough of those segments with overpasses will connect together and form what will effectively be a motorway, if that hasn't happened already.

Anyways, off topic, but how do I pronounce the character "š"? I get that the other unusual icelandic character, the "thorn" makes a "th" sound. But what I've read about the "eth" in its upper and lower case forms doesn't make sense, is it basically the same?
Ž is like "th" in thing or thought but Š like "th" in the or them. Upper or lower case makes no difference but upper case Š is rarely used because there is not a single Icelandic word that starts with Š.

There is already a pretty long stretch of Reykjanesbraut in the city that is practically a freeway. Grade separated with intersections at 1-2 km interval. The regional plan that Reykjavķk and the surrounding towns are working on suggests that there should be a single corridor through the urban area where the focus is on free flow of automobile traffic. That corridor would connect the three main roads connecting the city with other parts of the country and would probably follow Reykjanesbraut but the exact layout has not been agreed on yet. If such a corridor is completed, you could drive on a grade separated highway from the airport all the to the city and through it without stopping at traffic lights.

I made a little map of the situation:

Red lines are the current segments of road where there is full grade separation. The narrower red lines are grade separated but have yet to be widened to separate the directions of traffic with a median.

The blue line is the most probable layout of a main motorway-like corridor through the city but the blue dashed lines are some possible variations.

zaphod liked this post
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #278
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarki View Post
Ž is like "th" in thing or thought but Š like "th" in the or them. Upper or lower case makes no difference but upper case Š is rarely used because there is not a single Icelandic word that starts with Š.
Unless you write with all caps. I still remember my first cell phone (Benefon iO), which had Icelandic as well. I remember words "RAFHLAĐA" and "SKILABOĐ" (I read them with the Serbo-Croatian "Đ" ). IIRC, they mean "battery" and "messages", respectively.

Last edited by Verso; November 11th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #279
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I wonder why the Eastern coast of Iceland, which is glacier- and volcano-free, never developed a major secondary city.
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #280
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I wonder why the Eastern coast of Iceland, which is glacier- and volcano-free, never developed a major secondary city.
Actually the city Egilstadir is considered to be the capital of eastern Iceland, with an airport and a hospital. It's a junction where many major roads meet. The harbour of Seydisfjordur is only a short ride away.