daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2015, 07:28 AM   #341
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

I did it! I finally had the pleasure of visiting Iceland last January and this is a picture I took of our car before the Route 417 became undriveable and we had to turn back.

It is an astonishingly beautiful country and the emptiness of the roads is somewhat exquisite (and I didn't even leave the capital area!).

Suburbanist liked this post
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:42 PM   #342
RV

Likes (Received): 275

I would like to see much more of the "car-city" of Reykjavik - the thread is full of glaciar-roads, but misses a lot of Reykjavik's 3+3/4+4-lane highways.

Well in fact it doesn't come as a surprise to me that Reykjavik is car-friendly, since it is located actually in America
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #343
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
I did it! I finally had the pleasure of visiting Iceland last January and this is a picture I took of our car before the Route 417 became undriveable and we had to turn back.
I assume that it must be quite a culture shock to come from Sćo Paulo to Reykjavik. Was driving in Reykjavik a challenge to you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV
I would like to see much more of the "car-city" of Reykjavik - the thread is full of glaciar-roads, but misses a lot of Reykjavik's 3+3/4+4-lane highways.
I'm also a fan of Reykjavik and Iceland and I found some photos of Reykjavik traffic.

Reykjavik-A car centric city

Everything on this photo reminds me of Denmark. Flat landscape, bushes, windy weather and a yellow bus.
Roadsigns are also similar to the ones in Denmark.

For some reason traffic in Reykjavik usually seems to go in one direction.

Plenty of space on the Reykjanesbraut. What happend to the roadbarrier ?

Last edited by NordikNerd; February 23rd, 2016 at 10:35 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #344
whatsuplucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I assume that it must be quite a culture shock to come from Sćo Paulo to Reykjavik. Was driving in Reykjavik a challenge to you ?
Oh, most definitely a culture shock. But a culture shock I already expected and wanted to experience! I didn't feel like driving, especially because I was with four Canadians who are very used to driving on icy conditions.
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #345
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:

(...)

Plenty of space on the Reykjanesbraut. What happend to the roadbarrier ?
It's to avoid it acting like a ramp. Note that it's straight on the other side.

Verso liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #346
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Hvalfjaršargöng

This is the tunnel crossing of the Hvalfjordur (Whale Bay) The length is 5,7km and the depth 165 m. '
There is a post to prevent high vehicles from passing through, I dont think larger trucks can go here.

The Hvalfjaršargöng is an impressive piece of infrastructure in a sparsely populated country.
In comparison is the distance between the Öresund cities Helsingborg & Helsingör about the same 4,6 km and the depth is only 35m, still no tunnel is built.
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #347
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:

This is the tunnel crossing of the Hvalfjordur (Whale Bay) The length is 5,7km and the depth 165 m. '
There is a post to prevent high vehicles from passing through, I dont think larger trucks can go here.

The Hvalfjaršargöng is an impressive piece of infrastructure in a sparsely populated country.
In comparison is the distance between the Öresund cities Helsingborg & Helsingör about the same 4,6 km and the depth is only 35m, still no tunnel is built.
It's also the only road infrastructure in Iceland to be privately funded. The tunnel was opened in 1998 and the cost of construction was meant to be recovered with tolls in 20 years. At that point, in 2018, the tunnel will be handed over to the state.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #348
whatsuplucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarki View Post
It's also the only road infrastructure in Iceland to be privately funded. The tunnel was opened in 1998 and the cost of construction was meant to be recovered with tolls in 20 years. At that point, in 2018, the tunnel will be handed over to the state.
Does this mean that that is the only road in Iceland with tolls?
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #349
Bjarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
Does this mean that that is the only road in Iceland with tolls?
Yes. There is a second tunnel under construction near Akureyri in northern Iceland that will have tolls.
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #350
alexanderlyd

Likes (Received): 0

Selfoss bypass and dual carriageway

I understand that there are plans to extend the dual carriageway past Hveragerši, and all the way to Selfoss, and then create a bypass with a new bridge over Ölfusį. What is the status of these plans? Are they confirmed have they abandoned it? The route going through Selfoss is a huge bottleneck and can cause huge queues.
alexanderlyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:20 PM   #351
Bjarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlyd View Post
I understand that there are plans to extend the dual carriageway past Hveragerši, and all the way to Selfoss, and then create a bypass with a new bridge over Ölfusį. What is the status of these plans? Are they confirmed have they abandoned it? The route going through Selfoss is a huge bottleneck and can cause huge queues.
The plan now is a 2+1 road between Hveragerši and Selfoss but the new Ölfusį bridge is not on the agenda for the next four years at least.
Old January 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #352
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

New road project in Reykjavik

Reykjanesbraut - Fķfuhvammsvegur

The work involves laying a new 1.6 km long road from Reykjanesbraut to Fķfuhvammsveg.
Completion is scheduled for October 1, 2016.

It seems like there are going to be more grade separated motorway-like roads in Reykjavik.

Reykjanesbraut is one of the major routes around Reykjavik. It connects the south urban area to the northern and western parts and provides a link between the Keflavik international airport and the whole country. The section upgraded in this project lies in three municipalities. In the future all junctions to Reykjanesbraut between Keflavik and the planned Sundabraut are to be grade separated.

The project entailed converting about 4 km of single 2-lane carriageway into a dual carriageway, complete with junctions and underpasses.

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #353
Bjarki

The Ring Road (Road 1) might be redefined in eastern Iceland according to a suggestion by the minister of the interior. The route has long been cause for dispute amongst the locals. The current layout of the Ring Road takes an inland route over the mountain pass at Breišdalsheiši. It includes some 25 km of unpaved gravel road. The suggested alternative is the coastal route which is currently part of roads no 92 and 96. It has the advantage of being paved the whole way. It is also mostly near sea level and thus sees far less closures due to weather during winter whereas the current route of the Ring Road is often closed for 4-5 months out of the year. The coastal route is however 10 km longer than the inland route (which is only relevant during summer of course). This should have happened a long time a go. Designating the coastal route as the Ring Road does of course not change the actual road conditions and it makes no difference to the route chosen by the locals for any given trip but it might affect travel patterns of visitors and guide them along a safer and more interesting coastal route.

The following map from an Icelandic newspaper shows the situation. The current layout of the Ring Road is the red line and the blue one is the suggested coastal route:

Last edited by Bjarki; February 17th, 2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #354
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Any plan to upgrade to one called "Öxi", it sure is a good shortcut.
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #355
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Hopefully Iceland finds oil in the Atlantic sometime, so it can build plenty of tunnels like Norway

Btw, I was wondering, is Iceland the place where in Europe where most snow accumulates, on average, at low elevation roads and cities? Or might it be Sweden?
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #356
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Hopefully Iceland finds oil in the Atlantic sometime, so it can build plenty of tunnels like Norway
Hopefully, not. More oil fields are discovered in the world, less incentive will exist to develope renewable and clean sources.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

whatsuplucas liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #357
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Egilsstašir-Djśpivogur is a 86km drive with the Öxi-road.

Egilsstašir-Djśpivogur is a 147km drive if you avoid the Öxi-road.

Someone drove the öxi-road on youtube and it's a curvy, hilly narrow gravel road with deep trenches on the sides. I does seem a bit difficult when trucks show up in the opposite direction. I wonder if the road is maintained during the winter when snow falls.

Traffic is sparse, in the video the driver meets a total of 5-6 cars on the 28 min drive 19km öxi-road. Is it worth upgrading a road with such little traffic?

Iceland appears to be a very capitalcentered country. In Reykjavik motorists drive on 3-lanes grade separated expressways, but in the countryside most roads are narrow and many of them are gravelroads.

Countryside

Reykjavik
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #358
Bjarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
It's on the long-term plan but there have been some bitter regional disputes about it. The coastal settlements don't like the idea of upgrading Öxi if it diverts funds from improving the coastal route but people in Egilsstašir and Djśpivogur would like to see Öxi upgraded as it cuts distances between these places and between Egilsstašir and Reykjavķk more than any other option. The thing about Öxi is however that even if it is upgraded to a paved road it would go more than 500 meters above sea level which would make it very difficult to keep open during winter. But it would make a great summer short cut.
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #359
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Hopefully, not. More oil fields are discovered in the world, less incentive will exist to develope renewable and clean sources.
You have to excuse him. He spitting out retarded and ass backwards ideas all over these forum.

RV liked this post

Last edited by webeagle12; June 12th, 2016 at 09:41 PM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #360
whatsuplucas

Quote:
Iceland appears to be a very capitalcentered country. In Reykjavik motorists drive on 3-lanes grade separated expressways, but in the countryside most roads are narrow and many of them are gravelroads
It makes total sense when about two thirds of its 323,000 inhabitants reside within the Capital Region.