daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Why would you want to drive more than 50 over the limit anyway? Not all of Europe is like the Netherlands with ridiculously low speed limits. 90 km/h is a fine cruise speed for two-lane roads in my opinion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #102
TheFlyPL

Likes (Received): 1

WoW!

In Poland if you drive 140 on highway you wouldn't be even stopped by police. They always accept a few more km/h. The lowest fine is 100zł (25€) and hardly ever is higher than 400-500zł (100-120€) and those are for people driving 200km/h on simple roads (90km/h limmit).
TheFlyPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #103

Likes (Received): 1439

I for one has crossed the entire island and I loved it.
One true experience for the making.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #104
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
But I guess I could just say I have no money and throw penalty check into trash at home as foreigner because no administrative process can get you abroad, only serious crime.
You will loose you're driving permit at site - your vehicle will be confiscated, and you will be forced to walk back to Reykjavik
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #105
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Do they have any plans to introduce the motorway sign in Iceland? If they are going to introduce it i think they must be blue, something like this.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #106

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Do they have any plans to introduce the motorway sign in Iceland? If they are going to introduce it i think they must be blue, something like this.

Well, since they really don't have any motorways in Iceland, I don't really see the point.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #107
Ingenioren

Road 41 to Keflavik could have this sign, but i believe the reason for not labelling it motorway is the lack of alternative roads for Mopeds, farm equipment etc. If such an alternative road was established i'm sure Vegagerdin would implement the European motorway sign
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #108
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Road 41 to Keflavik could have this sign, but i believe the reason for not labelling it motorway is the lack of alternative roads for Mopeds, farm equipment etc. If such an alternative road was established i'm sure Vegagerdin would implement the European motorway sign
Yes, the lack of alternative roads for slower traffic that is prohibited on motorways makes sure that road 41 can't be designated as a motorway. I believe it would also need a physical barrier down the central median to conform to motorway standards. Currently, the central median is just empty space and it's quite possible for an out-of-control vehicle to cross the median and hit traffic going in the other direction.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #109
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

In Norway fence/barrier is not mandatory if the distance between lanes is great enough (I think 5 meters).

edit: for new roads, it seems physical barrier is demanded now, but old roads with >5 m distance between lanes, are still signed motorway

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; April 30th, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #110
Ingenioren

Yeah, back in the days there where talks to turn E18 Vestfold into a 110 km/h testing stretch there was discussed to add rails in the middle, but since that was scraped i think the project was abandoned.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:17 AM   #111
Bjarki

The median on road 41 is quite wide, 10 meters I think.

There are currently proposals before the Icelandic parliament to to allow 110 km/h as a maximum speed limit on certain roads. Road 41 is the only one where this could be applied I think.
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some pics of Iceland (source = Marcel Monterie)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

willbyback liked this post
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #113
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32174

Nice pics! So is Iceland the only country that uses yellow for informational sings? And what does it mean when the route number frame is dashed instead of solid? Under construction perhaps?
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Germany uses yellow signs as well on non-motorways.

Broken frames means it is an indirect number, you're driving to it, but you're not on it yet. It is used often in Northern Europe, and sometimes in Germany as well.
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #115
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2287

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
So is Iceland the only country that uses yellow for informational sings?
All ex-Yugoslavian countries use yellow signs.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #116
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Norway (wich copied the German signage system) and Luxemburg uses yellow signage aswell.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #117
Bjarki

To clarify different colors of Icelandic direction signs:
Blue background with white font and border => Only used for overhead sign bridges
White background with blue font and border => Used within the urban limits of the Reykjavík area.
Yellow background with black font and border => Used everywhere else.

I don't know the reasoning behind the different color schemes, it may just be for aesthetical reasons. The signs within urban limits of other towns in Iceland outside Reykjavík are still yellow.

Last edited by Bjarki; June 28th, 2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #118
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32174

Thank you guys for the explanations. I never saw informative signs in yellow. I thought yellows was always reserved for preventive signs.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #119
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarki View Post
Héðinsfjarðargöng (Héðinsfjörður Tunnels)
What: A road link connecting two towns in northern Iceland involving two tunnels.
Why: To shorten the distance between the towns of Ólafsfjörður and Siglufjörður from 62 km (summer) or 234 km (winter) down to 15 km (all seasons).
When: Construction started in May 2006 and the tunnels are projected to be opened in September 2010.
Cost: Originally estimated at 7 billion ISK but will probably exceed 9 or even 10 billion.

Héðinsfjarðargöng is quite simply the largest single infrastructure project ever to be built in Iceland (Keflavík International Airport may have been more expensive but the cost was payed by Uncle Sam during the Cold War). It involves a 3.7 km long tunnel from Siglufjörður to Héðinsfjörður and a 6.9 km long tunnel from Héðinsfjörður to Ólafsfjörður. It also involves the laying of 3.2 km of new roads connecting the towns to the tunnels and the tunnels to each other. Héðinsfjörður (from which the tunnels get their name) is an uninhabited fjord between Siglufjörður and Ólafsfjörður where no roads existed before. Both of the tunnels have two traffic lanes.

[IMG]http://i45.************/30rpouq.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.************/6i63qw.jpg[/IMG]

This also the most controversial piece of infrastructure that I remember because it is perceived as a prime example of pork barrel spending by rural politicians benefitting only a few people at a great cost. The town of Siglufjörður has about 1300 people and Ólafsfjörður about 800 people. Combined these towns make up 0,7% of the population of Iceland and those are the only ones that stand to benefit from the project. These tunnels will not serve any greater good beyond those towns because they are to far out of the way for most people. I myself am born and raised in Akureyri, not far from these towns, and I currently live in Ísafjörður which is another remote small town. I like to think that I have a good understanding of the need that people in those communities have for improved roads, it is a matter of survival for them. But I still can not justify for myself the insane amounts that are being spent on Héðinsfjarðargöng, the priorities are all wrong. If it had been decided in 2006 to spend nine billion ISK on the road between Reykjavík and Selfoss instead, we would now have a near-motorway standard road there with completely separated traffic in opposite directions. It would have saved a lot of money in the long run through fewer and less serious accidents as well as preventing injuries and deaths. Instead we get tunnels that allow mere 2000 people to visit each other more frequently. I almost makes my blood boil when I think about this...

[IMG]http://i47.************/2u3vznl.png[/IMG]

Even if we push the issue of cost and priorities aside, this project does not make sense. Two small towns will be connected with each other by a great modern road designed by the latest safety standards and such (and expected to be used by 2-300 vehicles per day) while both of the towns will still have substandard and hazardous connections with the outside world. The connections from Siglufjörður to the west and from Ólafsfjörður to the east both rely on very narrow single lane tunnels and roads clinging to steep mountainsides where there is a risk of avalanches in winter and rockfall the whole year around. Surely it would have made more sense to focus on traffic safety on these existing roads rather than spending all this money on this link between two backwaters.

Why is this happening? It is simply because of a political system that disproportionally favors the rural parts of the country over the more urban southwest. Siglufjörður is also a place that punches far above its own weight even within its own rural region because it apparently breeds politicians.
Are these tunnels already opened?
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #120
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some pics of Iceland (source = Marcel Monterie)
Where is this sign? In continental Europe this is used at land border crossings.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote