daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture > Literature and Languages

Literature and Languages The Great Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #181
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manileño View Post
ta man wonder lang io... hinde ba manada de basilan y sulu ta platica tamen coneste lenguaje? ya le io na Basilan, 80% del poblacion tan chavacano. poreso pati el mga moro sabe conese, paquemodo sila ta reza? chene ba muslim prayers na este idioma? hehe
ellos eres no un moro.... mucho lang gayot mana natica hablantes Zamboangueño Chavacano na Basilan especialmente na Ciudad de Isabela y Municipalidad de Lamitan pero otras municipalidad na Basilan eres mana yakan ya, tausug y otras raza o tribo!

por aquellos no sabe, no todo hablantes tausug eres moro sino tiene tambien del mana hablantes tausug eres cristiano!

siendo mucho lang tambien ta precura aprende el dialecta Zamboangueño Chavacano O Lenguaje Chavacano (como entero) por causa mas facil aprende que con el tagalo.. porque? mas claro que el Chavacano es el Lenguaje de Amor, Unidad y Cultura Rica, ya nace por causa del Cultura Rica entre Cristiano y Moro, tagalo y bisaya, iloco y yakan, subano y samal, portuguis y español, italiano y Amejicano Nativo O entre Iberiano, Austronesiano y Amejicano Nativa!Gracias!

"Los Filipinos son Hispanos y Latinos"

(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zamboa...15948905085917)
(http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/wiki/) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Arondayot/)
Acer_Cyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #182
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post

RE: Misa Chabacano
Could you check into this? I was told it was the 2nd Saturday of each month at 6PM. Maybe it's been changed recently?

RE: Prayers
This is true. My mother's family (from Cavite City) still says the rosary in Spanish, even though they also know the same prayers in English. However, they still pray the Salve Regina in Latin. During the last rites of my maternal grandmother (in the USA) we had a filipino priest give her last rites (la extremaunción), he was leading the prayers in English but my mother and her siblings were responding en Español.

BTW, here is the Ternateño version:

Padri di mijotro ta allí na cielo,
Quidá alabaó Bo nombre
Llevá cun mijotro Bo trono; Viní con mijotru Boh reino;
Siguí cosa qui Bo mandá aquí na tierra
parejo allí na cielo!

Dali con mijotro esti día
el cumida di mijotro para cada día;
Perdoná quél mgá culpa ya hací mijotro con Bo,
como ta perdoná mijotro ‘quel mga culpa ya hací el mga otro genti cun mijotro;
No dijá qui caí mijotro na tintación,
sinó hací librá con mijotro na malo.

Also, I've never heard my family pray in Chabacano, only in Spanish, English, & Latin.

RE: Bo (pronounced Bu, from archaic Spanish Vos - thee, thou)
Regarding the usage of Bo, you are correct, however my mother would also use it to equals, i.e. cousins, classmates, etc. is slightly more respectful but still somewhat familiar, and Usté, as in Spanish, is formal.

An example of the 3 singular forms of address within the family would be:
BO: to siblings, cousins, nephews, nieces, grandchildren. (also to the household help)
: to parents, uncles, aunts (according to my mother, addressing these family members with BO would have resulted in a slap to the face to the unfortunate child who inadvertently said it)
USTÉ: to grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.

And of course, the 2 plural forms of address are:
VUSÓ: plural of BO/TÚ (Spanish VOSOTROS)
USTEDI: plural of USTÉ (Spanish USTEDES)

So, 5 ways of saying YOU in Caviteño, compare that with Tagalog which only has ikaw & kayo. Well, some people might say there's a third by using sila for very formal address, but it's just the 3rd person plural and NOT a different word. I don't even think Zamboagueño uses as many forms of address. Your respondents naturally felt uneasy using BO instead of TÚ in the Padre Nuestro, it sounds too informal for the circumstances.

It's interesting to note that originally in Spanish (centuries ago), Vos was used familiarily and was used to servants & slaves. Quite the opposite of Caviteño.

Antes di olvidá yo......¡Bienvenido al foro! (or should that be ¡Bienvenido al poro! in Caviteño?!)
en Zamboangueño tiene como se llama modo del Comun, Familiar y Formal!
Favor vosotros observa:

Primer Persona Singular:
Yo: i, i am, me

Segunda Persona Singular:
evo(s) (common) -course -You
vo(s) (common) -used by the speaker in adressing to a lower of status, younger at age -You
tu (familiar) -alredi shows courtesy, when talking to boys/girlfiens, parents and friends. -You
usted (formal) -the highest form of respect, address to a person of high status in life, office, gov't. grandparents, parents and to our Lord and God. -You

Tercera Persona Singular:
ele -her/him
le -her/him

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

Primer Persona Plural:
kame (exclusive) -we
kita (inclusive) -we
nosotros (formal) -we and US, when added the words "con, de"
Example:
Con nosotros -to us, with us, unto us, into us.
De nosotros -from us.

Seguna Persona Plural:
kamo (common) -You. the plural form of Evos and Vos, use by the speakers in addressing to a younger at age, lower at stauts or sometimes for insulting.
vosotros (familiar) -You. shows courtesy when using this address someone.
ustedes (formal) -You. the plural form of TU and USTED, the highest form of respect usually used to address to an old age, Parents, Tios/Tias, Guardian, to any govt'. officials and to our Lord our God.

Tercera Persona Plural:
sila (common & familiar) -They, Them
ellos (formal) -They, Them

otras palabras de Pronombre que nosotros ta usa eres como: mio/de mio-mine, de vosotros-yours (possesive form), de aton/diaton-Nuestro, de amon/diamon-nuestro, diila/de ila or de ellos, con ellos or kanila, nuestro/nuestra-our, vuestro/vuestra-your(possesive), kaninyo, Canamon/Kanaton, Canaton/Kanaton,

Bueno, para el mas detalles puede tambien vosotros anda visita alli mismo abajo donde hay puede vosotros mira el clase o mana enlace. escoge ya lang alli y hace clic..Gracias!

por ultimo, yo tene ya crea un Organizacion Etnico donde nosotros puede comunica usando solamente el idioma Chavacano, donde nosotros puede ayuda con uno y otros especialmente el usada del correcto ortografia, grammatica y otras! y este llamado como :RazaChavacano. puede vosotros mira el su Vision y Mision ana Friendster razachavacano@yahoo.com

po ultimo, para na texto, puede tu entra aqui Canamon/con nosotros/Con nisos/con mijotro. si usted/vo/tu interesado, favor hace contacto conmigo aqui en este numero 09161102613...

este organizacion abierta para con nosotros todos nativo hablantes Chavacanos y por aquellos quien quiere aprende y, o practica Chavacano...

Otra vez: Nuestro Lenguaje es de nuestro identidad!

"Chavacano es el lenguaje de amor, unidad y cultura rica."

(http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/wiki/) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Arondayot/)

Last edited by Acer_Cyle; November 15th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #183
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Ferry View Post
I would presume "Bienvenido NA foro". BTW Mrs. De La Rosa's email addy is: joypdelarosa@yahoo.ca

ambos puede!
que, Bienvenidos na Hilo! o Bienvenidos al Hilo! o Bienvenidos en la Hilo!

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM   #184
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 141

Pride of Place: Asia's Latin City

By Augusto Villalon
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:27:00 11/24/2008

MANILA, Philippines - Bienvenidos, buenas dias contigo,” my host said, her eyes lighting up into a radiant smile as I walked into the Zamboanga airport terminal.

It was my first time there, but with a welcome like that, I knew this was one of those special places in the Philippines that was going to be an experience to remember.

Filipinos imagine Zamboanga as the gracious city in the southern tip of Mindanao; a seaside city profuse with flowers whose residents have long been a mix of religions and cultures; an old settlement upgraded by the Spanish conquerors whose fortifications remained long after the city became the leading American colonial stronghold in the far south.

The city is one of the few in the country where heritage survives intact, evidenced in so many historic structures still in use today. Church and mosque spires mark the skyline despite rapid construction of commercial structures that are now beginning to change the traditional low-rise profile of the city.

On weekends, crowds of people picnic and swim on city beaches along the tree-lined boulevards which arc to follow the shoreline. In the foreground of the pristine blue water is Sta. Rosa Island, famous for its pink-sand beaches. Just behind it looms Basilan island, about an hour by boat from Zamboanga.

Chabacano

Zamboanga bills itself as Asia’s Latin City. Absolutely Latino-based is Chabacano, its spoken language, a Spanish-Bisaya patois of “60-percent Español and 40-percent nativo words,” says the city brochure, a living language unique to the place and its people that continues to evolve today by absorbing words from the vocabularies of the different cultural communities who inhabit the city.

Zamboanga’s edge over other Asian cities of Latin heritage—Goa, Malacca, Macau—is language. While those Asian cities may have retained some practices and landmarks of shared Latin heritage, they have pretty much lost their Latin languages.

Chabacano remains the lingua franca uniting the fusion of diverse cultures coexisting in the city for generations. A cultural melting pot better than Zamboanga probably does not exist anywhere else in the Philippines.

Their spoken language is the definite Zamboangueño identifying mark. It perfectly encapsulates the city’s multiculturalism. With a lifestyle as charming as their native language, Zamboanga is enchantingly different from anywhere else in the Philippines.

Enchantingly different is the city center, radiating from the former city wharf with the city hall as its centerpiece, which was originally constructed by the American colonial government in early 20th century as the provincial capitol.

From the ceremonial balcony on its second floor, Mayor Celso Lobregat treated us to a sweeping vista that took in avenues surrounding the Rizal statue among the flowers in the plaza fronting the city hall, where generation after generation of parades and processions must have passed in review beneath dignitaries standing on the balcony.

Plaza Pershing, named in memory of the American Gen. “Black Jack” Pershing, who figured prominently in establishing American colonial rule in Mindanao, is another small plaza close to the city hall.

Although modern construction threatens to engulf Plaza Pershing, heritage trees continue to shade the open area. One example of an early gas-lit lamp (whether it is an original or a reproduction is undetermined) still exists, unused, on one of the plaza walking paths that lead to a pair of round, colonnaded glorietas built in early 20th century.

Architectural gems

Compact and walkable, downtown streets lead to a maze of shops and businesses punctuated by some architectural gems. The Art Deco-style police station, built during the Japanese occupation of Zamboanga in the 1940s, stands out. Another unrecognized gem is the Art Deco Philippine National Bank building, dating back to the ’50s.

On a street leading away from the city hall, with many heritage residences, a total surprise is stumbling upon a plain shop front of Malaysian kopi tiam, a small restaurant serving incredible roti canai and Malay breakfast food.

Outstanding are the houses on this street which maintain their heritage architecture while now in 21st-century use as banks, restaurants and commercial offices.

More outstanding than anything I saw in Zamboanga is the main building of Western Mindanao State University. An undiscovered gem of American colonial architecture from the early 20th century, it is a wonderful example of Beaux Arts favored by the American colonial government, which was adapted to tropical conditions with large window openings, high ceilings with floor-through interior ventilation and excellent architectural craftsmanship in its moldings, doors and wrought-iron grillwork.

Zamboanga is one of the few cities in the country where heritage from different historical eras and a variety of people coexist, where the local vocabulary fuses words from different cultural origins.

In the Yakan Village, some textiles are still woven on the spot, more or less still following the traditional manner, and sold as tourist souvenirs. At the Barter Trade market is found all sorts of merchandise from cheap souvenirs, traditional craft by local tribes, Indonesian textiles and Chinese food.

Zamboanga has a lot going, something that the people are aware of. Its cultural mix sets it apart from other cities in the country, which is showcased by the rich urban heritage that continues to survive.

Most importantly, Chabacano says it all for Zamboanga. How amazing it is that a city’s spoken language not only reflects its heritage and lifestyle but also establishes the city’s image, which Zamboangueños are determined to keep as their edge against globalization.

E-mail the author at pride.place@gmail.com.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #185
MichaelNikki

Likes (Received): 0

Buenos Dias con todo qui. Que tal? Yo un ciento porciento ijo de Zamboanga.

I can still remember when i was a kid growing up in zamboanga i used to keep on singing this song.. "Miyo manok bibo pa, ele ta canta cucuri ya cucura!" hehe. Nice thread
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #186
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 949

Bunas Dias Contodo! Ta saluta yo Prospero Anio Nuevo Contodo Forumers!
I really feel that Zamboanga deserves a lot more of investments. Marami sa mga taga Manila ang hindi nakakakita, hindi nakaka-intindi at hindi na-appreciate ang ekomoniya ng Zamboanga. For investors to skip Zamboanga is their loss. Their loss is my son’s gain
~ Manny Villar, Business Tycoon source

Come INVEST in Zamboanga City, "Asia's Latin City"!. The Future of your business is here.
chuck23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #187
Polester
Polester

Likes (Received): 2

Pascua 2008 na Ciudad de Zamboanga

[/IMG]http://photos-p.friendster.com/photos/80/56/49956508/1_244207381l.jpg[/IMG]

Polester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #188
Polester
Polester

FELICES PASCUA Y PROPERO AÑO A TODOS!!!!!

Polester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #189
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

QUE BONITO!!!

Que bonito man gat esos mana Xmas alli na Retrato....
donde dao se?jejejeje

a todos Chavacanos (Caviten, Ternaten, Ermiten, Zamboangueno, Cotabaten, Abakay Spanish) que tal Vosotros todos?

ojala hay man tiene nosotors todos un conferencia donde el seis dialectas/gentes hay man o di junto todo...

vamos hace grande el de nuestro idioma na entera mundo...

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #190
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

Likes (Received): 5

Hola! No hablo chavacano... pero visito este thread de vez en cuando.
esagerato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #191
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

NO SABE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esagerato View Post
Hola! No hablo chavacano... pero visito este thread de vez en cuando.

nO SABE? pero ta puede tu entende bien?

Buenos dias!

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #192
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

LA HISTORIA OLVIDO POR LOS ZAMBOANGUENOS

ZAMBOANGA’S HISTORIC PAST AND THE
RICH CULTURAL HERITAGE

Por: Prof. Josefina B. Iledo
Executive Assistant
Office of the City Mayor
Zamboanga City

Outline:

I.. Introduction
II. The early Immigrant
III. The Coming of the Spaniard
IV. The Republic of Zamboanga
V. Zamboanga Under the American Regime
VI. Conclusion
Zamboanga Historic Past and the Rich Cultural Legacy
The Filipino historians have neglected the roles provinces and towns have played in the country’s history. They give little attention to many events outside Manila, despite the fact that those happenings lent color and light to many aspect of Philippine history.
The contributions of towns and provinces is either overshadowed or entirely forgotten. For instance there is very little mention in our history book about the historical role of Zamboanga in the Christianization of Mindanao, the contemporary writers of Philippine history have failed to fill the gap of twenty years from 1900 to 1920, during which period the United States established a special form of government and Zamboanga was made the seat of government. Others even want to discredit the glorious event where a Zamboangueños wrestled Fort Pilar from the Spaniards, their symbol of strength and power for Mindanao and successfully established a short lived “Republic of Zamboanga”. Under Spain, Zamboanga stood out for several reasons: 1) It became an integral part of the Spanish colonial administration, when it was made the capital of the “Gobierno Politico Militar”, 2) from Zamboanga several expeditions were launched against the piratical Moros, 3) As the seat of government, Zamboanga became the cultural center of the south, 4) the Christianization of the people of Zamboanga and their hispanized ways stood out among the deeply rooted Islamic influence found in the region 5) the Spanish fortress Fort Pilar, and the last Spanish Supreme commander of the once mighty Spain surrender to the native son of Zamboanga Vicente S. Alvarez.

Zamboanga “La Bella,” “Orgullo de Mindanao.” “City of Flowers” is not only known for its romantic, scenic, and natural beauty, and as the melting pot of culture in the South, but more than its aesthetic value, the
Zamboangueños has more to be proud of, Zamboanga has a hero in the person of Vicente Alvarez.
It is a must for every Zamboangueños to have a knowledge of our past, because it will make you proud of your birthplace, it will give you identity as a group, as well as direction in your life knowing that your ancestors have contributed to make Zamboanga what it is today.

Zamboanga Peninsula map
Geographical Features
A knowledge of the geography of Zamboanga will make us understand why foreign countries like the Dutch, the British wrestled for the control of Zamboanga, and why Zamboanga was chosen by the Spaniards.
Zamboanga is located at the southernmost tip of Mindanao. It comprises of the southernmost portion of the Zamboanga peninsula, extending from the northwester part of Mindanao. Bounded on the south by the Basilan strait, on the west by the Sulu and Zamboanga del Norte, on the North by Zamboanga del Sur, and on the east by Sibuguey. The city of Zamboanga has a land area of 148,338.49 HAS including Barangay and a population of 511,139 as of 1995.

Birth of Christianity in Zamboanga a priest in one
of religious events
Early Immigrants of Zamboanga - Pre-Spanish Period
The early people of Zamboanga were the Subanos. They were of Malay origin who came at about 6,000 to 2,500 years ago. The Subanos were pagans who believed in the forces of nature and spirit of their ancestors. They lived along the coastal are and they were fishermen. When the Muslims came they were forced to retreat to the hinterlands and live along the river banks. Eventually they became farmers, thus, the name “Suba” meaning people of the river. The Subano’s name for Zamboanga was “Su ng Lupa” meaning “Pointed Land” and they called Pasonanca “Nawan” meaning “future” where they settled. There were other areas were they migrated in Zamboanga peninsula. The early Subanon settlement revealed the lack of political cohesion among them, and this was the reason why they failed to resist Muslim attacks and emulate the strong political organization. A Subano leader was assessed of his leadership in terms of the number of families residing under his dominion. The original Atilano-Alvarez family of Zamboanga were the results of the intermarriages between the native Subano and the Spaniards here in Zamboanga.
Introduction of Islam
At about 1480 to 1490. Arab missionaries and teaches of Sulu reached the shore of Sulu in the person of Mukdum, Rayah Baginda and Abu-Bakr and introduce a new religion called “Islam” which later led to the conversion of the natives. With the new religion which was monotheistic in nature came he new form of government, the Sultanate and eventually a new culture.
In Mindanao, Sherif Kabungsuan introduced Islam in Cotabato, and Islamism begun to spread throughout Mindanao including Zamboanga. New customs and traditions were introduced and interspersed with the natives who choose to be converted to Islamism white others retreated to the mountains and remain pagans.
Origin of the Name Zamboanga
There were three version as to how Zamboanga got its name:

1. When the Malay settled at the tip of Zamboanga peninsula, they found the area profusely abloom with colorful flowers which they later name “Jambangan” meaning the “land of flowers.”
2. The other version came from the word Saguan or Sambuan which was a Malay word for paddle or pole used by the natives to paddle their vintas.

Fr. Pedro Murillo Velarde's Map of year 1734

Close up showing the town of Samboangan (now Zamboanga)
3. The third is the word Sambon which referred to the herbal plants that grew abundantly in the area. To make it easy for the Spaniards to pronounce and to sound hispanized, the native term became Samboangan as attested in the old map of Zamboanga by Murillo. Much later it was changed to Zamboanga.

Zamboanga as the City of Flowers, where colorful flowers grow abundantly in home gardens and public plazas all year round.
The Coming of the Spaniards and the Introduction of Christianity

White Cebu, Manila and the other islands were easily subdued and place under Spanish sovereignty, the subjugation of Mindanao proved to be the greatest challenge of the Spanish authority. The presence of a well established political structure under the sultanate and the stern zeal to Islam were among the greatest factors to its difficulty.

Sixty four years after the founding of Manila, the Spaniards in their quest to spread Christianity send expeditions to colonize and evangelize the natives of Mindanao. The control of Mindanao was vital if there objectives were to be achieved.
Capt. Esteban Rodriguez de Figueroa was send on an expedition and was directed to accomplish four things which were:

1. to get the Moros to acknowledge Spanish sovereignty
2. promote trade with them and to limit their trade with the Philippines;
3. put an end to Moro piracy;
4. begin hispanization and colonization of the Moros

It was the last of Spain’s policy which was at the root of the Moro’s fierce resistance to the Spaniards and their Christianization allies. Despite the series of vigorous Spanish attacks, Muslim raids continued unabated in Christian settlements therefore, the solution they thought was to make their presence felt by putting up a garrison.

Zamboanga was chosen as the site of the Spanish garrison because of its strategic location. For a time the Spanish presence in the area was felt when in 1569, the Spaniards built their first fort in La Caldera, presently Recodo here in Zamboanga. The fort was a wooden palisade but later reconstructed with stone in 1593. This Spanish outpost was used to reinforce troops, send supplies to Sulu and served as a strategic outpost to check on the piratical movements, as well as to prevent attacks on Christian settlements along the coast of Visayas and Southern Luzon. One good result of this outpost was the first conversion to Christianity could have taken place here among the Sama-Lutaos and the Subanon who were staying within the vicinity of the Spanish settlement.

Towards the end of 1599, there was an order to close the Fort in La Caldera. The entire garrison was brought to Cebu. This move was in anticipation of the British attack in Cebu which did not happen.

The abandonment of La Caldera was a blow to the Spanish stronghold in Mindanao. However, the continued raids and the menace sown by Datu Qudarat on the Christian settlements prompted the Jesuits to lobby for the return of the Spanish forces and in particular for a fort to be constructed.
Towards the end of March 1635, a Spanish force of 300 Spaniards and 1,000 Visayan troops under the command of Capt. Juan Chavez reached the shore of Zamboanga, together with a Jesuit father, Melchor de Vera. Right from the start there was hesitation and resistance from the crew to stay knowing among others things the fierce raids of the Moros as experienced by the soldiers. The insistence of Fr. De Vera prevailed. On April 16, 1635 the new settlement was established. On June 23, 1635, the cornerstone was laid
Signaling the founding of the fort. The fort was named “Real Fuerza de San Jose”

The site was chosen by Fr. De Vera, who was an engineer was a swampy area where mangrove grew and at the tip of Zamboanga Peninsula facing Basilan strait and Sulu.

The fort was huge enough to house the living quarters of the Spanish officials, the soldiers and their families. Inside were the church, school and hospital. The arrangement was made this way for the protection against the Moro pirates.

While the Spaniards were constructing the fort the Jesuit missionaries were busy on their mission to spread the gospel and converting the Sama-Lutaos and the Subanon. The native Subanon being pagan were easily converted and accepted the new way of life and religion and adopted Spanish surnames. These Sama-Lutaos and Subanon who were converted became the ancestors of the present native Christian
Zamboangueños.

Fort Pilar
The Birth of the Chavacano Dialect
When the fort was being constructed, the problem of communication arose. However, after a period of time, the inter-mingling of the immigrants from Luzon and Visayas with the soldiers, and contacts with the natives Subanon and Sama-Lutaos gave birth to a unique dialect called the Chavacano.
Chavacano is a pidgin form of Spanish spoken by the people of Zamboanga City, developed by the early immigrants and the native as a compromise to Spanish language. It is also defined as Spanish contact vernacular that resulted from the interference of a foreign language vernacular. The use of the new language was of interest among the natives because it gave pride and honor as it closely resembled the language of the masters. In due time, Chavacano became the lingua franca of the natives of Zamboanga.
The years that followed were characterized by raids and counter raids both by the Spaniards and the Moros. The fort was attacked several times by Moro pirates, bombarded by the Dutch in 1646, and by the British in 1798.
The Fort Real Fuerza de San Jose was Abandoned
By 1663, the Real Fuerza de San Jose was abandoned. It was part of Spain’s strategy to re-enforced her troops in Manila and Cavite against the local insurrectos, the Chinese revolt and in particular the rumored attach of the Chinese pirate Koxinga. The fort was relinquished to a Christian datu Fernando de Macombon. Although the order was strongly opposed by the Jesuits, but on January 8, 1663, the fort was finally closed. The entire settlement including the Jesuits left for Manila.
For a period of 55 years, the town of Zamboanga and the fort was laid at the mercy of Sultan Qudarat and the other native leaders who laid siege for the control of the fort. During this period the natives destroyed all the improvements and fortification including the church while the Christian converts reverted to Islam.
Due to the clamor of the Jesuits, the Royal crown reconsidered the popular request to reopen the fort and to continue with their evangelization among the natives. In 1718 Governor Manuel de Bustillo Bustamante re-established and re-occupied the fort. In January 1734, the soldiers brought along with them the image of the Lady of Pilar from Zaragosa as their patron. The fort was re-named “Real Fuerza de Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragosa in honor of her. The image was embossed on the eastern side of the fort as a front piece. Many stories, legends and miracles were attributed to the Lady of Pilar as told and retold over the centuries.
Before Zamboanga expanded in areas and eventually became a city, it underwent several transitions.

The image of Our Lady of the Pilar of Zaragosa at the Fort
From 1635, Zamboanga revolved around the three original communities around the fort. Theses were the communities of Cagang-Cagang, Buaya-Buaya and Bagumbayan presently Sta. Catalina, Sta. Barbara and Rio Hondo. By 1718, when the fort was re-established, the area expanded beyond the fort. It was divided into three zones, namely: a) Pueblo Viejo b) Pueblo Nuevo, c) Sama-Magay. Much later the area was expanded to include Sta. Maria, referred as Pampago-Zamboangueños community; Tetuan as Ilongo-Zamboangueño community and Bolong as Boholano-Zamboanga community. Throughout the Spanish regime Zamboanga was designated as the capital and the seat of the Gobierno-Politico-Militar for the entire Mindanao. Zamboanga was called “La Villa de Zamboanga”

The Spanish culture imbedded well and was assimilated by the
Zamboangue
ños. Both her Catholic religion and the imprints of her Castilian heritage are found in the Chavacano dialect, in the Spanish names, in the ballads and songs, customs and traditions and foods. For more than 300 years the Zamboangueños were a loyal subjects to the mother country Spain until the event in1898.

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #193
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

CANCIONES ZAMBOANGUENO CHAVACANO

CANCIONES DE ZAMBOANGA

ALBUM COVER

Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon
Canciones De Zamboanga En Chavacano Recorded and mixed by:
PEDERO MUSIC RECORDING STUDIO
Manufactured by:
UNIVERSAL RECORDS 2001
CANCIONES ORIGINAL DE ZAMBOANGA EN CHAVACANO
Compositado Y Interpretado Por JULIA "Titang" JALDON DEDICADO A TODO MANA ZAMBOANGUEñOS
Con Todo Mi Amor - Titang Jaldon

1. LENGUAJE CHAVACANO - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon
na Keyboard Gia Aquino 2. SUEÑO DE ZAMBOANGA - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon
na Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 3. ZAMBOANGA DERROTADA - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez
Jaldon na Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 4. COMO UN CANCION - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon na
Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 5. MODO DE COMER - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon na
Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 6. MODA DEL CIRCA - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon na
Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 7. ZAMBOANGUEñO DE MI SUEÑO - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez
Jaldon na Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 8. EL DALAGA ZAMBOANGUEñA - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez
Jaldon na Guitara - "Bert" Roxas 9. EL VERDADERO ZAMBOANGUEÑO - Misica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez
Jaldon na Keyboard Gia Aquino 10. ZAMBOANGA DE ANTES - Musica y Palabras Por Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon
na Keyboard Gia Aquino Bonus Tracks: 11. POR CAUSA TUYO - Musica prestao del cancion (Dahil sa Iyo) - Musica Po
"Mike" Velarde Palabras - Julia 'Titang' Enriquez Jaldon 12. COMO UN CANCION MENOS UNO 13. ZAMBOANGA DE MI SUEÑO MENOS UNO
LENGUAJE CHAVACANO

El Chavacano ya sale na lenguaje español
Deficil etende si hinde na Zamboanga ya nace
El chavacano original
Bien differente y ay que bien formal
Semejante na Español
Pero si nuay tu'l fundacion
Deficil entende
El estranjero al oir
Conversa'l chavacano'l confudi
Maga gente ta almaria
Que bien deficil differencia
Maskin donde tu anda
Hasta na sur America
Na España o Mejico
Ta Puede Lang siempre entende
Kay dol Español
CORO:
Si deveras tu el chavacano quierre aprende
Con un Zamboangueño tu acerca
Kay ele lang contigo puede enseña
Que manera ta pronuncia
Maga palabra dol Español
Mesclao y omentao maga palabras
Pero mucho lang siempre el Español
Mesclao palabra Muslim poco Chino poco
Visaya y Tagalog pa
Poreso ahora este lenguaje deficil entende
Maga palabra bien mesclao
Ya queda bien complicao el chavacano
Repeti No.2 Y Coro
FIN:
Maga palabra dol Español
Maga palabra dol Español
El lenguaje chavacano, chavacano

SUEñO DE ZAMBOANGA
Sila ta pregunta porque yo ta queda
Aqui na pueblo de Zamboanga
Siempre yo ta contesta
Porque man ya sale na lugar de mi nacimiento
Kay aqui yo engranda y aqui yo ya mira
El primiero luz del dia yo nunca puede deja
Que por este sitio ya pelya
Mis abuellos y maga parientes

Paquichura man gayot
Un anak puede olvida
El lugar donde le ya nace
Maskin todo ta habla
Que’l Zamboanga ta cambia y maga problema un caterba
Todo este hinde razon
Para mi corazon
El abandona el esperanza
Que’l Zamboanga el lugar donde siepmre yo’l volve
Maskin donde yo’l ginda na este mundo
CORO:
Que antes el vida na Zamboanga dol na un paraiso
Donde’l gente cariñoso, respetable, hospitable
Maga problema ta olvida como’l gente ta habla
Que nuay problema si nuay el solusion
Si todo lang puede tiene animo y valor
Amo se el salvacion
Ta habla sila’l amor se paga con amor
Y nuay gloria si nuay el dolor
Poreso no deja este seuño de hacer
Zamboanga un paraiso
Que si hinde interesao el dibuli asigurao cultura Zamboangueño
El chavacano el perde
El tradicion el desaperece
Deberasan el Zamboanga’l cambia
CORO: (DOS VECES)
Maga hermanos Zamboangueño
Hace to que debe de hacer el collar de sampaguita, gumamela y champaca
Devolve’l precioso olor
Dale ole color con el pueblo de Zamboangueño
Ese’l rezo el sueño de todo’l maga Zamboangueño (Dos Veces)

ZAMBOANGA DERRATADA?
Dol derrotada ta queda
Este pueblo Zamboanga que todo antes ta honra
Sitio de flores ta llama
Pero mucho suceso que ya pasa

El paz y orden dol quebrao
Encambio antes ay que bien cuydao
Zamboanga de ahora dol hinde mas
Como de antes que bien nombrao

CORO:
Por su riqueza
Por su Belleza
Por su limpiesa
Y hospitalidad
Que gran tristeza
Si hinde puede cambia
Cosa el maga gente ahora ta habla
Tiene amor propio no deja
Que sin tu ayuda Zamboanga’l cambia
Si maga Zamboangueño hinde coopera
Zamboanga deberas bien derrotada grueda
Despues de todo si nuay quien puede
Hace pacencia para ayuda
Devolve el orgullo del maga Zamboangueño
Que al fin quita lang puede habla
Que si por acaso el queda
El ciudad Zamboanga orgullaza otraves
Sitio de flores ole llama
Este lo que debe mga Zamboangueño aspira…
Que si por acaso el Queda el ciudad
Zamboanga orgullosa otravez
Sitio de flores ole llama
Este lo que debe mga Zamboangueño aspira…

COMO UN CANCION
INTRO:
Como un cancion
El diaton vida ta compara
Necesita completo el maga nota
Para puede canta
Igual na vida si nuay tu fe nuay salvacion
Como na un cancion necesita’l vida tene un bien direksyon
El vida siempre diaton todo
Igual lang como na un cancion
Cancion que ta canta todo quita si ta entra’l gana
Tiene vez cancion de alegria
Tiene vez cancion de tristesa
Algunavez cancion de un amor
Algunavez cancion de gran dolor
Poreso’l cancion igual na vida
Tiene vez na tono tiene vez hinde
Poreso pirme precura
No man desentonao
CORO:
Kay na de ustes comunidad
Sina cosa tono tu el canta
Na tono ba de un servicio
Na tono ba de un ayuda
Na tono be de un rezo
Na tono be de un reclamo
Si na cosa tono tu el canta
Tu lang se cuydao
Poreso el cancion amo el regalo
Dale tu con el comunidad
El melodia dedica tu a uno y otro
Si gusta sila o hinde
Nuay mas tu cosa puede hace
Que Dios contigo se ya dale
Con este regalo tu precura, canta buenamente y dedica
Tu vida como na un cancion
Si na cosa tono tu el canta
Tu lang se cuydao

EL MODO DE COMER

Antes el modo de comer bien simple lang gayot
Si tiene canon blanco’y oloroso
Con el mantecca de puerco ta hace bajuk
Con bagon y saguing bongulan
Ta come con asao de cubal-cubal
El latu ta hace thumuk na vinegre puerte mesclao con pica
Ta chupa-chupa gayot maga dedo
Que este clase de comida amo el favorito de mga anciano Zamboangueño
Quien poco poco ya ta desaparece
Imahina lang tu antes nuay cola-cola, agua lang de tuburan
Pero hay que contento ya, ta satishfecha ya el sed
CORO:
Pero ahora este siglo de mil nueve sientos noventa’y tres
El maga joven bien caprichoso ya ta queda
No puede toma el agua si nuay el yielo para infria
Carne puerco y baca ta busca manok frito y estopao pa

Poreso ahora hinde basta celebra un ocasyon si nuay lang tu el contra
Para compra lechon y pansit estopao o curry de baca
Dinuguan cangrejo y locon
Este clase de preparasyon hinde completo si nuay el leche flan
REPETI CORO:
Si sigui sigui lang tu el gusto el di tu bulsa el aguhera
Pero entero mundo este ta pasa
Hinde lang na ciudad de Zamboanga el solusyon pichi pichi el bariga
Y el sinturon tiene que apreta
Si hinde cancer del bulsa el tene mga tata y maga nana
FIN:
El apetito necesita aguanta
Amo se el unico solusyon

MODA DEL CIRCA

Antes el mondo del camisa
Na Zamboanga bien simple lang
Falda Y blusa amo el uso
Nuay maga mujer mucho cuscus balungus
Tiene vez derrecho el corte
Dol batas ta aparece
Joven y vieje este moda quirre quierre
Que bien comfortable y bien practical
Pero cuando ya Ilega el influencia de Europa y America
El maga mujer ya queda alerta ya sigui toda na moda
Gorda y flaco todo igual, ningunos no quiere atrasa
Jovencita y maga matrona quiere todo sigui na compas
CORO:
Que en aquel circa mil nueve sientos sincuenta ya raza
El moda baloon en maga falda ta queda \
Mga petticoat na almidon ta tene que rimuha
Para al usar junto con el falda ta queda gayot bien cangcang

El circa mil nueve sientos secenta el moda del camisa bien ipid ya queda
Pencil cut amo que ta llama para maga gorda este un gran problema
Y tambien para de maga plaquienta
Quien dol palito derrecho ta aprece
Poreso tiene razon el maga modista
Habla el moda con quien se acomoda

Y despeus en el siglo de mil-nueve sientos setenta ya encohe
El maga falda bien corto corta ya queda
Especialmente el mini skirt quando ya intoduci
Mas corto ya ya queda cuando el micromini ya entra
Imahina lang tu el ichura
Si hinde perfecto el figura
Si el maga pierna del maga gorda del garrote
Del maga flaco dol tuud bien secante

Y cuando el moda macro midi
Do’l maga viejita ensiguidas ya queda
Que el falda dol di lola bien largo

Que ta bira bira lang el maga moda
Poreso sila ta quebra el cabesa
Cosa moda sila sigui

ZAMBOANGUEñO DE MI SUEñO
INTRO: (Igual na Coro)
Oh Zamboangueño de mi sueño
Tu’l inspiracion yamo el dueño
Demi corazon y de mi alma
Sintu amor nuay esperanza yo
Tu amo el luz ta alumbra’l dia
El lampara conmigo ta guia
El camino recto de mi vida que Dios ya hace

Al llegas el tiempo si nuay mas tu
El acorda yo quemanera tu
Ya quirre profundamante
Y quiere sinceramente conmigo
Como un Zamboangueño lang puede

CORO:
Mientras tiene tu la opportunidad siempre habla tu conele la verdad
Ele lang tu unico amor y salvacion
Asigurao un gran tritesa
Si nuay tu na mi lao para besa, mio carilio y mis labios
Quien contigo lang ta espera
Especialmente si el noche frio
Cuando ta abraza tu’l corazon mio
Poreso Zamboangueño mio no conmigo nunca deja

Al llegar el tiempo si nuay mas tu
El acorda yo quemanera tu ya sufri profundamente
Y quirre sincramente conmigo como un Zamboangueño lang puede

MUSICA: (FIN)
Que tu lang mi unico amor y salvasyon

REPITI NO. 2 Y CORO

EL DALAGA ZAMBOANGUEñA

Desu sunriza bien mentao
Desu carino bien alabao
Desu dul sura ay que bien templao

Na sitio de Zamboanga
Donde el maga dalaga
Bien pusturiosa y cariñosa pa
El maga soltero ta alaba desu custumbre
Que bien graciosa y bien dulce si ta conversa

El Zamboangueña bien sumisa y amable
Que desuyo trongko de España ya vene pero algunas veces
Tiene le un mal aranque
De un Española como un tigre si ta rabia

CORO:
Al mira le na tu ojos
Nunca tu el puede olvida
El manera ta clava la desu uñas na to corazon
Desu sonniras bien mentao
Desu dulsura ay que bien templao
Ele ya nace para sirvi
Con el suertista quien el recibi su cariño y devosyon

Poreso hombre poco poco lang el paso
Para cuji na lazo con un Zamboangueña
Besos y abrasos amo lang puede captiva
Di suyo hestos debe tu de save Ileva

Que el vardadero custombre de un Zamboangueña
Antes tu de acerca, necessita tu asigura
Que manera inamora

Que el Zamboangueña
Bien sungurin pero nunca’l admiti
Cosa conele ya hace iri, maskin su corazon sufri
Ansina su vida le-ta vivi

Besos y abrazos, amo lang puede captiva
Debe tu de sabe Ileva y tambien sabe alava
Para su amor puede tu captiva
EL VERDADERO ZAMBOANGUEÑO

Si noconose con el Zamboangueño
Tu impression ele bien bugalon
Dol arrogante y dol dominante
De su itchura dol un hombre pamparon
Alconoser tu el espanta hu
Que su custumbre bien leviano pero picon
Hombre valiente de sangre caliente
Que tiene raza de un hombre español

El Zamboangueño ay que seloso
Su mismo sombra tiene vez ta suspecha

Si el mujer nosable lleva el custumbre
Pirme lang le bien sobresaltao

CORO:
Al llegar el hora de recumbinihan
El Zamboangueño pirme quiere ele gana
Na discutuhan no quiere nunca
Abaja’l copeta que quire pirmi ganador

El Zamboangueño un fiel amigo
Si na peligro nunca nunca man atras
Ele dispuesto perde su vida
Para defende su palabra de honor

CORO:
Al llegar el hora de arrangcada
El Zamboangueño pirme una ta mete
Di suyo mano na disu bolsa
Para arranca el porta moneda para paga

El maga gastos diila sunsuman
Qu’el Zamboangueño bien dispuesto gasta
El Di suyo sueldo de un quinsena
Poreso’l hombre maskin donde popular
Tambien pasa del maga amigo
Que el Zamboangueño quirre quirre manda mira
Contodo’l hente el verdadero color de un nativo Zamboangueño

CORO: (Musica)
Al llegar el hora de arrangcada
El Zamboangueño pirme una ta mete
Di suyo mano na di su bolsa
Para arrangca el portamoneda para paga

REPETI NO. 3 CORO

FIN: Poreso’l nombre maskin donde popular (2x)

ZAMBOANGA DE ANTES

INTRO:
Zamboanga el sitio de mi nacimiento
Ay que bonito’l vida aqui
El maga jente ta admiti

Ta habla sila’l Zamboanga
Ta llama sitio de flores
Donde’l maga dalaga bien bonita y bien fiel
Tambien maga soltero caballero verdadero
Maskin cosa el pasa, Todo came Zamboanga pa

Mira quemodo’l hente, quirre quirre na Zamboanga
Maskin maga estranjero ta vene de otro lugar
De Europa o de Asia, de China o America
Diaton sitio popular poreso todo ta imbedia

CORO:
Al vene sila el mira sila el abudancia
Que diaton pueblo tiene otro sitio nuay
Al comer sila el salaoria el maga comida
Quel Zamboangueño lang bien sabe prepara
Entonces ustedes maga visions de maga otro lugar
Ayuda con el pueblo Zamboangueño
Hace’l Zamboanga igual de antes
Bien limpio, Tranquilo yen paz

Pero ahora na Zamboanga ay que mucho nuevo cara
Ya vene de otro sitio dol Zamboangueño ya
Taqui yo ahora el tiempo para man hunto todo
Manda quita mira que todo puede vivi en paz

FIN:
Hace'l Zamboanga igual de antes
Bien limpio tranquilo yen paz.

POR CAUSA TUYO (DAHIL SA IYO)

Na diaton vida ta vene
Maga pena y miseria
Y tambien maga tristesa
Nuay cielo aqui na tierra
Para cosa man alegre
Si nuay tu hunto conmigo
Tu amo mi inspiracion
Mi alegria mi amor

CORO:
Por causa tuyo
Ta queda yo alegre

Por causa tuyo
Quirre yo vivi
Necesita tu sabe
Que nuay mas otro vida
Masquin con quien tu pregunta
Tu lang mi unico amor

Por causa tuyo
Ta queda yo alegre con di tu amor que yo ta recibi
FIN: (Dos Veces)
Si deberas conmigo tu
Hinde lang como un muchacho
Si no como un querido amor de tu corazon

Last edited by Acer_Cyle; February 15th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #194
Acer_Cyle
El Latino Zamboangueño

ZAMBOANGA CHAVACANO FOLK LITERATURE

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #195
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 141

Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #196
Asturiano

Likes (Received): 16

Saludos. yo estoy nuevo en este thread. yo tengo mucho amigos que hablan chavacano de ternate aqui en estados unidos.
Asturiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #197
-Luis-
BANNED

Feciles Pascuas a todos en Zamboanga y que bueno que hablen en chavacano!
-Luis- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #198
marlowe_cano

Likes (Received): 100

LEARN TO SPEAK
CHABACANO

TAMBOBO
(tam-BO-bo)

English:
n palay granary
Spanish:
n pequeño granero
de palay
marlowe_cano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM   #199
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 38

In the ten pages of this thread I am hoping that people will be convinced to edit the Chavacano Wikipedia, which is desperately in need of help for various reasons. The Wikimedia community only has one native Chavacano speaker, and we're hoping for more people to come in and clean up the mess that has become that particular Wikipedia because of that person's intermittent activity.

Also, as a bit of observation, I wonder how great is the influence of English on Chavacano. It saddens me to see that the media treats Chavacano like Tagalog: using English words when there are perfectly acceptable Spanish or native ones. Chavacano does not deserve to have a "Taglish"-influenced variant.
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM   #200
magnusiax
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Nice place..
magnusiax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
español