daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Hyderabad

Hyderabad Project news from Hyderabad and Secunderabad

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.93 average.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM   #41
SURYA

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.hindu.com/pp/2006/04/22/s...2200280100.htm

Baiting them with bonds

Many are poised to lose prime plots to the ORR project. Grumbles and whines were heard all around. The State answered with land bonds. M. L. Melly Maitreyifinds out how it benefits all parties involved
:

LEAP TO PROGRESS: A sketch of the proposed Outer Ring Road project
Any development project, irrespective of its projected long term spin off benefits, meets with initial resistance when time comes for land acquisition.

The Rs.3,500 crore Outer Ring Road project and its Growth Corridor touted to change the face of Hyderabad is no different. With the hype surrounding these projects increasing the land value to astronomical heights, it is not easy to convince land owners to part with their land.

Several villagers set to lose their lands for the ORR had a valid point when they sought to know why they should allow a third party to make money on the land acquired from them at nominal rate citing public cause.

With the Government allotting only land for ORR, the consortia that would take up the highly capital intensive project look at commercial exploitation of the land to earn profit on their investment.

The ORR project authorities after several rounds of deliberations on the compensation package have hit upon a novel mode of Transferable/Redeemable Land Bonds as part of package. It is a proposal that should benefit everyone in the long run and pave way for cooperation of land losers for the speedy execution of the project, they say.

As the ORR growth corridor would be developed as a world class facility with special regulations to ensure its planned development, the one km on either side of ORR encompassing 80,000 acres in 113 villages would have enormous value that would appreciate multiple times in the years to come.

Winners all

The unique compensation package with land bonds should earn the land losers rich rewards and dividends if they manage their bonds well, they emphasise.

The ORR Project Director Piyush Kumar said that the first of its kind land compensation model in the State based on Gujarat, Mumbai and Gurgaon experience was an improvement over the Transferable Development Rights under town planning.

Under the scheme, Government would pay basic compensation for the land losers besides offering them land bonds measurable in sq.ft.

As the initial permission for construction in growth corridor would be restricted to G + 5 floors, a builder would have to purchase the land bonds from the land loser to go for higher floors.

Those losing land for Special Amenities Zone near junctions would also have an option of choosing bonds or 10 per cent of developed land with high-added value apart from upfront compensation they would get.

The number of sq.ft. a person to be allotted and bond conversion rate table would be fixed by a Government appointed committee, Mr.Kumar said.

Weight in gold!

The ORR Growth Corridor is expected to invite investments from all over the world. This in turn would fuel urban infrastructure growth for future and with it, the land value.

We have already seen it happening in Machirevula, Narsingi, Gachibowli along the first phase of ORR. The land bonds could yield unimaginable returns in future given the present trend.

Piyush Kumar
ORR Project Director
SURYA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM   #42
Babji

Likes (Received): 52

"Transferable/Redeemable Land Bonds" is certainly a great idea. these bonds can be traded like shares.
I hope the GoAP will do enough to educate the land loosers so, they benefit most.
Babji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM   #43
vibs89

Ahh that's awesome good to see Hydrabad having on. Hope it expands in other metropolitan cities.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #44
vadi

i just read that report on TDR in Hindu. you beat me to it.
it cool that Hyd is trying it. Blr has some success with in its road expansion plans. i believe guj has some good solns to this prob.
its a pity they didnot use this in BMIC and other projs in blr. it would have gone much smoother.
vadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #45
magestom

Likes (Received): 12

This project is not gonna die right?
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #46
Babji

Likes (Received): 52

Rome is not built in a day!
A project of this size and impact has to pass several hurdles.
works might start this winter, if not summer.

excerpts from the last update from HUDA:

ORR Phase I: Gacchibowli to Shamshabad 22km - this is what they are targeting for mid 2008. this 22km stretch is divided into two parts (roughly 11+11km) and they are floating two different tenders.
HUDA is taking up this work (funded by consortium of banks).
Actual works on this phase are expected to start April/June 2006.

Last edited by Babji; May 21st, 2006 at 02:59 AM.
Babji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #47
magestom

Likes (Received): 12

magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:37 AM   #48
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 83

Gud rendering there magestom!

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #49
cruise_biker
Chennai Lad

Likes (Received): 10

Has the ground work been started?.if not any idea when the project is actually going to take off.
cruise_biker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM   #50
bommasaniv
Venki

Exclamation Metro for Hyderabad.

The MRTS system in Hyderabad is a big failure. SC.Rly has already reduced the number of trains running on various lines. Developing a Metro for a city which has less than 4million population is just waste of peoples money. They should have the plan in place and as soon as the population crosses 7million or 8million then they should give it a go. Please don't waste public money for useless things
bommasaniv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #51
cruise_biker
Chennai Lad

I accept what you say Venki.I also read that the MMTS is a failure at present.They have reduced the frequency of the trains as there are not enough commuters boarding it.

I am from Chennai and Chennai has an EMU service.I will tell you what I have observed in Chennai.When the EMU service was started,there were no takers for the trains,but later slowly and gradually the lines were extended and the places surrounding the stations started to develop and people who bought their houses there or moved their business there were completely dependent on the trains.So in Chennai if you see,the middle class people who cannot afford the private transport usually take the trains and so they settle across the length of the lines.This process took several years and so the EMU is a good hit.

So MMTS may be a failure now,but it will take some years for it to develop into a efficient transport system.Till then Government has to operate the trains and get the confidence of the people.

I am just telling my point of view here..
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #52
bommasaniv
Venki

Thumbs up Vizag-Kolkata Highway!!!

unable to post pictures

Last edited by bommasaniv; May 23rd, 2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:56 AM   #53
bommasaniv
Venki

Exclamation

Correct, but you can't compare Chennai with Hyderabad. Hyderabad doesn't even have half the population of Chennai. At present the population of Hyd is only 39lakhs. If converted to Greater hyderabad then its population will reach aroung 50lakhs. But Chennai's population more than a core and imagine if Chennai is converted to Greater Chennai!!!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM   #54
cruise_biker
Chennai Lad

No Venky,I was just trying to tell that MMTS will play a major role in the future.They are long term plans and so we cant expect things to happen so fast :-)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #55
pding

i completely disagree. creating an efficient public transport will reduce the number of private vehicles. also, Hyd metro populatoin is 60 Lakhs+. if you think Hyd has no traffic problems and an bottlenecks then say we don't need metro. but the current scenario is the complete opposite. when hyd's population is 70-80 lakhs then the cost of the project will escalate to enormous levels from now, which it self is pretty huge.
pding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #56
Hindustani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommasaniv
The MRTS system in Hyderabad is a big failure. SC.Rly has already reduced the number of trains running on various lines. Developing a Metro for a city which has less than 4million population is just waste of peoples money. They should have the plan in place and as soon as the population crosses 7million or 8million then they should give it a go. Please don't waste public money for useless things
I disagree totally. Hyderabad metro population is more than 6 million now. Hyderabad urban pop is less than 4 million. By 2010 Hyd metro pop is estimated around 8-9 million so this means lots of IT/pharma/biotech influx into the metropolitan region. Best time to build Metro is right now. or else hyderabad will end up with all troubles with the likes of other 4 Indian metros.

Worse yet. Hyd has narrower & fewer roads than Delhi, calcutta, bombay, madras & bangalore. If efficient metro along with ORR and other expressway not added in next 4 yrs by 2010, living in Hyd will be a torturous.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #57
adheet

Likes (Received): 1

I completely agree with cruise_biker, pding, and hindustani.

bommasaniv:
I feel that most Indian cities need well implemented mass transit systems (Hyd MRTS was really very poorly implemented). Infact, we should start thinking about one for Vizag too. As we know, these things take a really long time to turn into reality in India. Chennai is considered to have a good public transportation system today because their local train system was built when Chennai's population was less than what Vizag's population is today.
adheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM   #58
Krav

bommasaniv,
Please do your research before you start discrediting the need for a
metro in a city.

Hyderabad metro area has a current population of between 6 - 7 million
people as various surveys only give an estimate of what a cities
population is because of the lack of an exhaustive census (which only
happens once in a decade).

According to this link:
World Atlas - Largest Cities of the World - by population
Hyderabad has a population of 6.8 million and according to them Chennai
has a population of 6.6 million (which must be a mistake as Chennai's
population I guess must be closer to 7.5 million by now).

Hyderabad I believe will have a population of between 8-9 million in the
metro area by the end of this decade.

The road surface area as a percentage of city size is pretty low for
Hyderabad among the major cities in India. We are already seeing a
huge traffic management crisis with ever-increasing number of vehicles
on the roads everyday. And the number of private vehicle owners is only
going to increase with increasing population and wealth.

We need a metro, we need the ORR and we need to increase the road
surface area in the city ASAP if we are serious about providing
the right kind of environment for business to grow in the city.

If you are not convinced yet I suggest you to visit Hyderabad and travel
the major roads of the city during rush hour and see the problem for
yourself.
Krav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM   #59
pding

also, if you think this is a waste of public funds then tell the politicians to do something about corruption. that'll save India thousands of crores every year and that way the rural poor might actually benefit from the funding they're getting through the flagshipt programs of Congress Gov't.
pding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #60
ramkan

Likes (Received): 2

Existing MMTS

Though MMTS did not succeed as per the state govt expectation, the investment was mere 162 crores. This was the idea conceived by Mr. Naidu (when he was CM) and Mr. Dattatreyulu(former railway minister) to collaborate and share costs to establish some kind of mass public transport quickly and with out spending lot of money.

Each KM will cost more than 170 crores(as per Reliance estimates in Mumbai) for the new metro. So i do not think it was waste of lot of public money. However, the decision was rational based on the existing railway lines and stations within the City. They did extend few lines and built new stations. It was a very good idea to increase public mobility in a cost effective way.

However, it did not attract large urban crowds. The failure was because of the following factors.

1. The trains did not really appeal to public, due to poor design(despite best efforts by railway coach factory), lack of publicity etc..
2. Differences between state govt and railways in running the trains. Railways was looking at profit making routes where as state govt was insisting on more frequency and bigger routes to make it success in a long term by attracting more people.
3. Not planning feeder bus routes to stations
4. Not having any follow up plan or any transport authority in place to oversee the whole integration of bus and MMTS.

As with any public transport project, building infrastructure is one-thing constantly keeping up to people needs and evolving is important to succeed.

I hope a lesson learnt atleast for the upcoming metro..

Last edited by ramkan; May 24th, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
ramkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyderabad, orr, ring road

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: