daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #181
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues75 View Post
Only the part between Magenta & Haussmann-Saint-Lazare (in fact, the suburban part of the line in Paris), opened in 1999.
You meant the underground part of the line in Paris. Right?
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #182
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
Very interesting diagram for RER B. Are there similar diagrams for the other lines?
Actually, I've made it by myself for you knowing that I had the dates but not the diagram. I've just made another one for the RER A.
To my surprise, most of RER A tracks have been built after world war 2 as part of the RER project.

The RER line A is actually the longest underground line in Paris with 27.8 km of it being underground.
The longest continuous tunnel between Nanterre and Vincennes is 18.1 km long. It also has 17 underground stations.
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #183
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Actually, I've made it by myself for you knowing that I had the dates but not the diagram. I've just made another one for the RER A.
Very nice work. Cheers!
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #184
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
You meant the underground part of the line in Paris. Right?
Yes, of course.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #185
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues75 View Post
Yes, of course.
Well it wasn't that obvious to me to tell the truth. I coulnd't see what was specifically suburban in the connection between Magenta and Haussmann !!
Now that I think about it, the word you had in mind instead of suburban was probably subterranean. Considering this I now understand how you've mixed both.

Anyway, at the opposite of popular beliefs, there are many underground sections of the RER outside Central Paris. Among the 44 underground stations of the RER network, 19 are located outside Central Paris.

To mention some of the signifant underground sections in the suburbs, the RER A is underground in the Cergy area, the Nanterre/La Défense area, the Fontenay/Val de Fontenay area, in Noisy and the Eurodisney area. The RER B is underground in the CDG Airport area and the Sevran-Beaudottes area. The RER C is underground in the Meudon area, and the RER D is in the Evry area. The only line with no significant underground sections outside Central Paris is indeed the RER E, where the only underground sections are several motorways underpasses never longer than 200 meters.

Last edited by Metropolitan; April 28th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #186
Minato ku

About the RER E.

Pantin

Last edited by Minato ku; June 10th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #187
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Well it wasn't that obvious to me to tell the truth. I coulnd't see what was specifically suburban in the connection between Magenta and Haussmann !!
Now that I think about it, the word you had in mind instead of suburban was probably subterranean. Considering this I now understand how you've mixed both.
Exactly ! I was tired...
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #188
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The RER C is an exception because unlike the other RER line its underground section is old, it was build in 1900. (expected the part between Musee d'Orsay and Invalide), so for maintance it close every summer.
FYI, the section between "Perreire-Levallois" and St Ouen" has been built in 1988 for the "VMI Project"...

Porte de Clichy (opened in 1991):

St Ouen:
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #189
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
To my surprise, most of RER A tracks have been built after world war 2 as part of the RER project.

http://grandparis.free.fr/RER-A-History.gif
Metropolitan, the section between "Neuville-Université" (station opened in 1994) and "Cergy-Prefecture" has been built in 1979 and has been extended to "Cergy-St Christophe" in 1985 and "Cergy le Haut" in 1994...
http://carto.metro.free.fr/documents/CartoRER.pre7.pdf
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #190
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
About the RER E.

Some pictures taken today in Pantin

I love the look of the RER E trains. I like that they still look new, especially inside, but that they look robust, at the same time. I love a certain level of robustness in rapid transit, afterall, they are suppose to last a long time and move a lot of people. I like their doors, how they open (out and sideways), and I like how you enter somewhere in between the lower and upper deck such that you have to take the stairs, whichever deck you decide to sit in, unless you remain in the door area. I like how the people sitting on the lower level are lower than people walking on the platform and I like the perspective you get from sitting on the top deck. But the RER E is the only RER line I like as much or more than the Cercanías of Madrid. Otherwise I like Madrid's Cercanías trains more, overall.

Luckily, it looks like Paris will be getting new, sleak, trains for some of their Transilien lines (the other suburban network that compliments the RER).
http://www.britorail.net/vie-ferrovi...27-10-2006.php

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvell...ice_transilien

They are cool-looking but a bit plastic-looking too, like some of the new subway trains we've seen in Madrid, Athens and Lisbon(?). I'm a fan of robust materials integrated with [B]some[B] level of moderness when it comes to mass-transit, like the RER E. But I admit I like how sleak those new Transilien trains will look.

When these are added in late 2009, along with the new metro trains on Line 2, Paris will have an even wider chronological range in its rapid transit (Metro, RER, Transilien), with both old and new stock to satisfy both preferences.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM   #191
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

wow awesome new rail car with the new light screen showing the map of the routes.

the seating looks cool and colorful maybe its a sense of Fashion, though i do say that the train looks plastic but then again that could be the style now plus it looks to be alot more roomer i like that you can store bikes there, thats great for people that uses bikes.

also i want to know something is the RER part of Translien or is it that RER is seperated from Transilan.

also is Crossrail in london will be like London's version of RER and is also the San Francsisco BART system is an RER too?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM   #192
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
wow awesome new rail car with the new light screen showing the map of the routes.

the seating looks cool and colorful maybe its a sense of Fashion, though i do say that the train looks plastic but then again that could be the style now plus it looks to be alot more roomer i like that you can store bikes there, thats great for people that uses bikes.

also i want to know something is the RER part of Translien or is it that RER is seperated from Transilan.

also is Crossrail in london will be like London's version of RER and is also the San Francsisco BART system is an RER too?
The Transilien is a separate network. Transilien has 6 lines, 5 of which depart from 5 of the 6 Paris intercity train stations. Unlike the RER, the Transilien does not run through one end of Paris (City) to another, thus it can't be used as express trains within the City. Instead, Transilien trains only branch out of Paris somewhat near Paris administrative boundaries. Thus each Transilien line has only one Paris station, the terminal, except for one line that has 2 Paris stations. Then there's one Transilien line that is exclusively outside of Paris (City), whose terminal is La Défense.

Transilien is considered by some "true" suburban network of Paris. I don't see any significant reason for that. The RER serves the suburbs too, in addition to providing express trains between the City's major Metro hubs. I believe the Transilien goes further out, yet some RER lines, too, go out very far, sometimes to places considered satellite cities rather than surburbs. In any case, even if the Transilien coincides with the RER in some segments (such that you can choose whichever to your particular destination), many destinations are only served by either the Transilien or the RER, but not both, so it compliments it.

Minatu ku created a thread in the Rail Subforum dedicated to the Transilien. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=480198.
You will notice that some trains look like RERs while others don't. The new Transilien trains by Bombardier that I posted above will be replacing some of lines with the old, ugly, grey ones.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM   #193
edubejar

Quote:
I will let someone else take the Crossrail question. I know little about Crossrail although I do want to say the London Underground extends much further out than Paris Metro, the same way NYC Subway extends very far out. So the London Underground already covers a lot of the periphery that the Paris RER or Transilien covers.

As for SF's BART, I would say it's a sort of RER with many less stations. Some liken the BART to a mix of subway and suburban rail but since you can't use it to get around a significant portion of San Francisco-proper than it's definetely more like the RER, especially since it too acts as express transit through the middle of San Francisco. And like the RER, the BART is underground in very dense areas (e.g. SF-proper) and above ground in many parts outside. I liken the Caltrain between SF and San José a bit more to the Transilien than the RER, though, even if the Caltrain is a single line.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #194
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
The Transilien is a separate network. Transilien has 6 lines, 5 of which depart from 5 of the 6 Paris intercity train stations.
I would use the word network instead of the word line.
Transillien has 6 networks, because a line with many branchs and several trains departing of the same station in the same direction at the same time is not really a line.

These two maps are a good exemple.

Only the transillien networks that departing of La Defense or Gare de Lyon can be called a line because these are a single line.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM   #196
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

so basically its like everybody has said in here the RER is a city's planner Wet Dream which that word sounds disgusting.

i noticed that Sydney's Cityrail is like RER alot in someways could the australians saw the RER network in France and decided to do theirs or was it already there?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #197
Grygry
Grygry

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
so basically its like everybody has said in here the RER is a city's planner Wet Dream which that word sounds disgusting.

i noticed that Sydney's Cityrail is like RER alot in someways could the australians saw the RER network in France and decided to do theirs or was it already there?
RER was effectively started early in the 60s as new cities were built around paris and needed better accessibilities, so this is really a concept to sustain an urban development project.

There are many others exemples of modifying the city with a transport system, one of them is Vancouver in the 90's, or joined construction like Madrid where developpers of new quarters actualy contribute to railway development.

Last edited by Grygry; May 24th, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Grygry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #198
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:

Cityrail as a company was started in 1990, however, the tracks were already there was already there. In fact, Sydney's rail system has been around for a long time now with the first railway opening in 1855! Electrification started in 1926 so I very much doubt the system was based upon the RER.

If you ever rode both Cityrail and the RER (which I have done) you'll see that they are very different beasties overall. Each line on the Cityrail network (much like the Melbourne suburban network too) is rather interdependant due to the City Loop. This means that there are often knock-on delays between them. The RER lines are mostly seperate except for the branches and so aren't as prone to delay or problems (RER A delay won't affect RER B for example).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM   #199
Minato ku

Nanterre Universite

Nanterre Prefecture station was build in 1970 it is an interchange station between the RER A St Germain branch and Transillien St Lazare, Poissy - Cergy line.
The station is under in reconstruction.

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #200
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Which tracks are the RER tracks? Is it cross-platform interchange?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer