daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #2221
Minato ku

The journey between Saint-Lazare and La Defense takes 13 minutes on the slowest service.
There is a train every 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB_ View Post
But most of the people who live in Normandy and have their job in Paris work in La Défense.
No, more people from Normandy work in Central Paris than in La Défense.

There isn't a better location for a main terminal station than Lazare in Paris.
It's right inside Paris CBD, with direct access to many other important business areas.
The station is at walking distance of many important sights, major shopping area...
It's well served by public transportation.

alexandru.mircea, mrsmartman liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2222
dougdoug

Likes (Received): 2631

The E extension line in Porte Maillot (17th district) 61 months

few weeks ago

Old October 7th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #2223
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

On 22.10.16 I expect to finally finish riding the entire Paris RER! All I lack is the last two stations at the northern end of the Green or D Line. I thought this would have happened last month but there were no trains past Orry-la-Ville to Criel. Worse yet, there was NO announcement in any form on the Green Line platforms at Paris Gare du Nord!

There is still a lot of the Métro left for me to ride so I'll keep returning to Paris to take care of it. It's actually cheaper for me to come to Paris over two or more days in a row than it is to stay in a hotel there. I have an SNCF Senior+ Card and a Voyageur Card so I can travel very cheaply by train in France even though I don't live there. I normally drive to Douai and take the TGV from there. My next trip will cost me €32 for a return Douai-Paris in first class!

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!

alexandru.mircea, Minato ku, 437.001 liked this post
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #2224
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

Other things voted at the last STIF council meeting:

- the creation of 10000 "Relais" parking places around railway stations from now to2020, to cost 75M euro. Currently there are 17000 such parking places, dedicated to people wishing to leave the car in order to take public transport.

- rennovations of the railway stations of Paris-Nord + Paris-Est, Melun and Croix-de-Berny. Total cost 22.9M euro.

https://www.iledefrance.fr/fil-presi...res-transilien

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

dimlys1994, dougdoug liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #2225
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Some nice pics of the pedestrian bridge over Bécon-Les-Bruyères:

https://twitter.com/VilleCourbevoie/...54239223070720

I recently visited and I was unpleasantly surprised to realise that the quais will only be serviced by this bridge with foot stairs and upwards going escalators. So, even after such an infrastructural and financial effort, the quais of this station will remain unserved by elevators. I can't think of another SNCF Transilien station where this is the case, not among those that I know anyway.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

VincentB_, dimlys1994, Minato ku liked this post
Old October 8th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #2226
SSCreader

Likes (Received): 59

The renovation at Bécon les Bruyères will include elevators, but works are not completed yet and they should be installed in 2017.
SSCreader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #2227
Minato ku

They are also rebuilding the main station building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
On 22.10.16 I expect to finally finish riding the entire Paris RER! All I lack is the last two stations at the northern end of the Green or D Line. I thought this would have happened last month but there were no trains past Orry-la-Ville to Criel. Worse yet, there was NO announcement in any form on the Green Line platforms at Paris Gare du Nord!
The section Orry-la-Ville to Creil has very low frequencies.
Only a train every half an hour in off peak and this is section is not served by RER D during rush hours (It is served by TER Picardie services from the surface platforms).

mrsmartman liked this post
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #2228
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCreader View Post
The renovation at Bécon les Bruyères will include elevators, but works are not completed yet and they should be installed in 2017.
That would be excellent. But I went there, climbed the bridge and looked closely - and they don't seem to have left any space for the elevators. I hope I'm wrong.

===

Old October 10th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #2229
SSCreader

Likes (Received): 59

The planned works are described on the Transilien website. From what we can see on the photographs, the elevators should be erected where the upper horizontal bar has not been installed.

dimlys1994 liked this post
SSCreader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #2230
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 306

This saturday I was in Paris after many years to visit the Paris Motor Show and when walking along Boulevards des marechaux from the Parc des expos towards M8 I noticed the former Petite Ceinture line is apparently being converted into a pedestrian path.

It made me wonder if there ever was a serious attempt to reclaim it for a transport function?

IMHO a circular RER line or a similar fast rail service (VAL-like probably to reduce noise on surface sections) along the former Petite Ceinture line would be a great addition to the network that would allow to relieve the overcrowded central transfer stations. Especially given that there are many important transport targets scattered along the former fortification that need high peak capacity (Parc des Expos, Parc des Princes...) which the current means of transportation are unable to cope with adequately (e.g. we couldn't get on the first tram at Cité d'Université and hardly managed to get on the second one as they were already coming full well beyond capacity to the extent that the doors kept reopening in each station until a few unlucky at the door finally gave up on trying to compress itself and the crowd already in the tram to a shape the tram could actually accomodate).

Btw I was overall surprised how crowded all the services we took were (and it was saturday!). It seems that despite great metro&RER coverage with decent frequencies, there still is a notable lack of capacity even in inner Paris. Are there any plans to fix it (like higher frequency via automatization)?
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #2231
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
This saturday I was in Paris after many years to visit the Paris Motor Show and when walking along Boulevards des marechaux from the Parc des expos towards M8 I noticed the former Petite Ceinture line is apparently being converted into a pedestrian path.

It made me wonder if there ever was a serious attempt to reclaim it for a transport function?

IMHO a circular RER line or a similar fast rail service (VAL-like probably to reduce noise on surface sections) along the former Petite Ceinture line would be a great addition to the network that would allow to relieve the overcrowded central transfer stations.
Such a comment could be the beginning of VERY intensive debates ; in fact the decision to build the T3 on the Boulevards des maréchaux and not to reuse the former Petite Ceinture was taken after lengthy discussions that are far from closed to this day.

Passenger services on the Petite Ceinture were never popular, however. That's the reason why it was interrupted in the 30's.

Moreover, this function (a circular line) is now fulfilled by the T3a and T3b lines.

The petite Ceinture, contrary to the T3, runs litteraly in the middle of nowhere. It could be useful as a link between other lines only, but not locally.

Quote:
Btw I was overall surprised how crowded all the services we took were (and it was saturday!).
Frequentation can be very high on saturdays ; we use the subway or the RER not only to go working, but for shopping too or to go to the parks, the museums... (as an example, the branch of the RER A that goes to Marne-La-Vallée has its highest ridership on saturday).

Quote:
there still is a notable lack of capacity even in inner Paris. Are there any plans to fix it (like higher frequency via automatization)?
In fact theres's a need for more public transport from suburbs to suburbs ; currently, the only way is to travel through Paris and that contributes to the saturation of the network. The Grand Paris Express will consist in several new lines forming a circle but outer Paris.

Moreover, the extension of the line E to the west will help to reduce the pressure on the line A.

---------------

RER C.

Renovation works last summer...

Near Austerlitz :

View from the M5 metro station in Austerlitz :

The tracks are now totally covered, encased in a shell of concrete. It's the end of a popular game for kids consisting in trying to spy a passing RER train while waiting for the metro...

Last edited by VincentB_; October 12th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #2232
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 306

I know about the Grand Paris Express project as well as about the fact that ridership was low on the Petite Ceinture in 1930s (I read the article on wiki about it before asking the question) and that there was a tram line built in the general direction of the Petite Ceinture but I was interested in what were the underlying reasons not to take advantage of the Petite Ceinture in expanding Paris public transport infrastructure.

For me as a casual observer without any in-depth knowledge of the decision process, it seems that a fast RER-like service along Petite Ceinture would, combined with extra-muros expansion of existing metro lines, greatly improve exactly the suburb-suburb connections (particularly in the petite couronne) while still serving well the inner Paris and all that on a relatively small budget as much of the infrastructure needed already exists. Just saying.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #2233
VincentB_

Quote:
on a relatively small budget as much of the infrastructure needed already exists.

A part of the former Petite Ceinture was reused when the northern part of the RER C was built (this part of the RER is called the VMI).

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_...cy_-_Invalides

This section is notorious because of the horrendous cost of its reconstruction (tunnels had to be rebuilt to match the UIC loading-gauge), low performance (curves are very tight and some slopes very hard) and low ridership (the line runs between habitation buildings, far away from any center of interest).

Renovating the petite ceinture would lead to the same situation : more a costly reconstruction than a simple upgrade, with little benefit for people living nearby.

Many people (like myself) prefer to take the PC1 bus line rather than this section of the RER C (well, except for one thing : many tourists who wants to go to Versailles with the RER C to visit the castle take trains to the north by mistake ; that give me an occasion to help them : I can improve my poor english, and, you know, japanese girls can be VERY pretty ).

Here's an exemple of a part of the VMI (near Porte de Clichy) that was formely at grade and had to be rebuilt in a trench and then covered in order to reduce noise (hope it's not a repost !).

On the right, the RER, on the left, T3 extensions works (pics taken a few months ago) :

You can clearly see that the tunnel is recent :

Last edited by VincentB_; October 12th, 2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #2234
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

"I can improve my poor english, and, you know, japanese girls can be VERY pretty"

Both very good things!

Sad to hear about the rest, though.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #2235
faliro

Likes (Received): 42

Also, this branch has generally not great frequencies (15' I think) and it closes rather early, although it is part of RER C so probably not surprising. Most likely due to low ridership, creating a vicious circle.
faliro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #2236
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Why is it that poor frequencies are not surprising on the RER C?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #2237
Minato ku

The VMI branch ridership is not that low but most people do not go further than Porte Maillot on this line in Central Paris.
Most people from suburbs leave at Porte Clichy (M13), Pereire (M3) and Porte Maillot (M1) to transfer with the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Why is it that poor frequencies are not surprising on the RER C?
Because the RER C's reputation for being an inefficient line.

RER C is a line where commuters tend to leave the line at the first stations with transfer with the subway.
The eastern section is very well used but most commuters get out at Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand (M14), Gare d'Austerlitz (M5) and Saint-Michel (RER C, M4 and M10).

Unlike the RER A, B or E, RER C is not a line where the central section has a high ridership.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #2238
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15404

How so? St Michel has a connection for RER B and it is next to Châtelet...
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #2239
VincentB_

That does not make the RER C an efficient line.

Except for the short part between Invalides and Orsay, the central section is the oldest line of the whole urban network (including the subway). It is very close to the surface and because of the vibrations, trains under Paris are very slow (60 km/h max, 40 km/h on the VMI).

And it have too many branches. As a result, an incident on one branch has repercussions on the whole line. Trains are often late or simply deleted without warning. And as i said, it's easy to get lost and to take the wrong train.

However, this line is a favorite of mine : it links many important monuments and museum, it runs just under the most beautiful part of the city IMHO (the left bank of the river Seine), and i love the ambience of a real railway line.

I even tried to build a 3D model of Boulainvilliers station for OR (this project is currently on hold, i don't have any time for this now) :

http://forum.activitysimulatorworld....25388&start=15

Last edited by VincentB_; October 17th, 2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #2240
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2203

I agree. RER C trains are so slow within the center city section it's painful to take it.
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer